Author Topic: DT12 v. WDAWAIISOIT8V&CSTOE pt. XII  (Read 84283 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Twelfth DT Album - Discussion Thread
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
Very interesting, Madman. Thanks for sharing again this information. I'm adding it to the OP  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
I asked Mike about this about a year ago at a drum clinic and I broke it down in detail in some post on this forum.  I dont have time to find it now but he essentially said he will still finding his groove with the band so he was mostly taking a back seat but as they were jamming at soundcheck and trying out new stuff, they might ask him to play a certain beat or he might say, "well what about this?" but for the most part he would just sit back and let them do their thing and only interject occasionally. 

In typically Mangini style, he was overexcited while talking about it, saying that John Myung was FLOURISHING (something my gf immitates quite often) and if James was backstage and heard something he liked, he would come out to check it out.

All in all, it really sounds like they are functioning as a band with Jordan and JP taking the reins as usual, but JM and JLB adding input and MM slowly becoming a bigger part of the process.

But of course, that was a year ago, right? In a recent interview, JP said that they do intend to have Mangini in the studio and contributing when they go in to write the album.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

In typically Mangini style, he was overexcited while talking about it, saying that John Myung was FLOURISHING

All in all, it really sounds like they are functioning as a band with Jordan and JP taking the reins as usual, but JM and JLB adding input and MM slowly becoming a bigger part of the process.
The bolded part - I CAN HEAR HIS VOICE.
And yes, that was what we expected.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
This is getting exciting with the new news.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
Concept Album. Nicholas comes back as a blood-sucking zombie.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2012, 01:44:42 AM »

I thing this was the metaphorical reading of The Dark Eternal Night  :lol
- Marco

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2012, 03:43:08 AM »

:lol or Forsaken
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »
 I was about to write that too, but the vampire of Forsaken is a she. Victoria, mayhaps?  :lol

Anyway, I seem to have read that there is the wish of not seeing acoustic ballads anymore. Can I ask why?
- Marco

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »
I was about to write that too, but the vampire of Forsaken is a she. Victoria, mayhaps?  :lol
They could be just like the couple in "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Avenged Sevenfold :lol
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »
I asked Mike about this about a year ago at a drum clinic and I broke it down in detail in some post on this forum.  I dont have time to find it now but he essentially said he will still finding his groove with the band so he was mostly taking a back seat but as they were jamming at soundcheck and trying out new stuff, they might ask him to play a certain beat or he might say, "well what about this?" but for the most part he would just sit back and let them do their thing and only interject occasionally. 

In typically Mangini style, he was overexcited while talking about it, saying that John Myung was FLOURISHING (something my gf immitates quite often) and if James was backstage and heard something he liked, he would come out to check it out.

But of course, that was a year ago, right? In a recent interview, JP said that they do intend to have Mangini in the studio and contributing when they go in to write the album.

Yes, I read that interview and JP hyped up MM's contributions a lot.  I had a feeling MM was being pretty humble since he is a pretty humble guy.  The truth is probably in the middle.  I think the benefit of having MM around isn't so much that he becomes a main contributor but that they can have someone pick up a beat fast so they can test it out with a full band as opposed to just writing and having to program a drum machine later.  I also think there will be a few times where if they really broke down the album and who contributed what, there would be specific parts where Mike instigated a section.  Sort of like in Scenes From a Memory, in the commentary on the DVD MP pointed out a riff that John Myung contributed in Strange Deja Vu.  Obviously JM isn't a "main" writer but had valuable input nonetheless. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
In a recent interview, JP said that they do intend to have Mangini in the studio and contributing when they go in to write the album.

Yes, I read that interview and JP hyped up MM's contributions a lot.  I had a feeling MM was being pretty humble since he is a pretty humble guy.  The truth is probably in the middle.  I think the benefit of having MM around isn't so much that he becomes a main contributor but that they can have someone pick up a beat fast so they can test it out with a full band as opposed to just writing and having to program a drum machine later.  I also think there will be a few times where if they really broke down the album and who contributed what, there would be specific parts where Mike instigated a section.  Sort of like in Scenes From a Memory, in the commentary on the DVD MP pointed out a riff that John Myung contributed in Strange Deja Vu.  Obviously JM isn't a "main" writer but had valuable input nonetheless.
JMX wrote all the coolest rocking riffs on that album, from what I gathered from the commentary :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Anyway, I seem to have read that there is the wish of not seeing acoustic ballads anymore. Can I ask why?

I wouldn't mind. A song having just JP's acoustic guitar and JLB is on my wishlist.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

:lol or Forsaken

Ding ding ding. I was thinking of Forsaken. :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Sry no news but has anyone realized it may be less than a week or two before DT enters the holy sanctum!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
Sry no news but has anyone realized it may be less than a week or two before DT enters the holy sanctum!

Realized it this evening. We are days away from the beginning of a new era.

Oh, and

FOR NEW DTF EMOTICON
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
bosk, :bcbanana:?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #262 on: December 26, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
I wonder where they'll record it... hopefully Westlake studios in Hollywood... mainly cause my company just installed the new SSL console in studio D, and I was all over that board. haha.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #263 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
I would like to hear more hi-hat/cymbal work like MP did. Thats about the only thing I miss from MP in DT. And better vocal melodies.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #264 on: December 26, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
bosk, :bcbanana:?

I think that :dttwelve: would be better :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:47 AM »
This is where that appears in the background of the album cover as well.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Fisi

« Reply #266 on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
Things I'd like to hear:
-Sounds similar to A Dramatic Turn of Events. I somehow loved how the album sounded, fresh feeling and no forced heaviness at all, but definitely heavy enough to rock hard.  :metal I think Jordan's atmospheric pads and James' great backing vocals were a big part of creating the great 'airy' feeling on the album.
-JR using more of his iPad apps, Harpejji etc...
-A long epic
-Awesome piano moments
-Maybe some electronic sounding stuff
-No more than one ballad (I have nothing against them, but the ballads on ADTOE were so good that I don't think it's necessary to make many of them this time)
-No unneeded heaviness

Many people have been hoping for James to use his higher register more than he did on ADTOE. Personally I loved the vocals on ADTOE so much that I'm perfectly happy if he continues like that. I do like high male vocals, but I don't consider them mandatory. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's going to be an awesome album.  :)

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #267 on: December 27, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Many people have been hoping for James to use his higher register more than he did on ADTOE. Personally I loved the vocals on ADTOE so much that I'm perfectly happy if he continues like that. I do like high male vocals, but I don't consider them mandatory. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's going to be an awesome album.  :)

As much of a high vocals nut as I am, I agree with this. The vocals on ADTOE were really strong and well-executed even though they were often fairly...plain, for lack of a better word. And the nice thing about them is that James can be consistent with them live--they didn't force him into the upper range where he tends to get pitchy and wobbly live (though he was better with that this tour than in the past anyway). I'd like to see a couple of bigtime super-high type things, kind of like the BMUBMD chorus except more melodic and not just in a backing part, but other than that I think DT would be wise to keep James in the same registers as ADTOE had him.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #268 on: December 27, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »

As much of a high vocals nut as I am, I agree with this. The vocals on ADTOE were really strong and well-executed even though they were often fairly...plain, for lack of a better word. And the nice thing about them is that James can be consistent with them live--they didn't force him into the upper range where he tends to get pitchy and wobbly live (though he was better with that this tour than in the past anyway). I'd like to see a couple of bigtime super-high type things, kind of like the BMUBMD chorus except more melodic and not just in a backing part, but other than that I think DT would be wise to keep James in the same registers as ADTOE had him.

You summed it up perfectly.  Its strange because I was 100% happy with the vocals on ADTOE but there was a small part of me that thought, "ya know, it would have been kinda cool if there was just one song with the old school high notes."  This in no way made me disappointed in what I got, it was just something I thought would have been an extra cool addition to what I thought was a near flawless album. 

Well that and more lyrics from James LaBrie which is probably my biggest complaint about the whole thing, which I told him when I met him.  I wanted to say that to JP too but I thought it might be tactless so I praised him for his lyrics, which I did think were among his best. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
Well that and more lyrics from James LaBrie which is probably my biggest complaint about the whole thing, which I told him when I met him.  I wanted to say that to JP too but I thought it might be tactless so I praised him for his lyrics, which I did think were among his best.
I really liked this part of your post, and I went a bit back through your posts and saw there's always some parts I especially like and that you're a nice person so I'm just letting you know :mora:

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #270 on: December 27, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
I really, really hope the drums sounds a lot better this time around, that was the big disappointment for me.

Other than that, keep it going! :metal I liked most of the album and consider the two-way ear gang rape that is Far From Heaven/Breaking All Illusions to be among their very best.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: December 27, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
I thought the drums sounded fine, didn't fully like the way they were played at all times though. Especially when the hi-hat is used.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: December 27, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
It just want it to be natural .

They shouldn't try to sound like any older version of themselves or whats current.

They should just write music and keep all the best ideas regardless of genre etc.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #273 on: December 27, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
I really liked this part of your post, and I went a bit back through your posts and saw there's always some parts I especially like and that you're a nice person so I'm just letting you know :mora:

Thanks!  Mad props back to you!  I always like your contributions as well. 

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #274 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
So, aside from the interview in the beginning and speculations from the fans prespectives, is there any update on the new album?? I mean, I know that the album starts to being recorded in january, but, is there an interview or comment from any of teh band members??

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: December 30, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
Just the new piece of info that MM will accompany them during the writing process (but this has been repeated a lot of times and therefore isn't really new). Apart from that, it's just, in short, "we have decided upon the direction and I ain't tellin' ya just yet" from JP :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
Other than what's been posted here, I don't think that too much has officially been said yet.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
So, do you think they will enter the studio Jan 2nd like they did last time or they will wait a couple of days/weeks more? Also, let's cast our bets about the studio. I say Cove City again, unless they need a somewhat larger space for the drum kit.
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #278 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
So, do you think they will enter the studio Jan 2nd like they did last time or they will wait a couple of days/weeks more? Also, let's cast our bets about the studio. I say Cove City again, unless they need a somewhat larger space for the drum kit.

If it's for the drumkit, they should maybe consider recording it in some bigger space. Hiro Ballroom?  ??? :biggrin:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
Skywalker Studios?