Author Topic: Revisiting Deadwood  (Read 8071 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Revisiting Deadwood
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
I am in a show hole, so went back and watched the series on Amazon again.  Great show!

Now I will go back and watch 'The Wire' again. :biggrin:
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »
Finally going to watch Deadwood on this two week vacation I have coming up.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »
May 31st gentlemen! And trailer is out too.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
Woo Hoo!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
Still skeptical.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2019, 05:17:46 AM »
So, anybody else watch the movie this weekend? I went to a screening as part of a TV-centric film festival on Friday and absolutely loved it. We also had a discussion afterward with the actress who played Calamity Jane (in person) and Ian McShane (via Skype), which was pretty interesting. So glad we got a chance to revisit Deadwood, especially with David Milch's Alzheimer's diagnosis.
Photobucket sucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
Haven’t had the chance yet. Hoping to be able to watch tonight.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 05:17:22 AM »
I feel I should start watching the original series. Never had the chance so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
I feel I should start watching the original series. Never had the chance so far.

You would not regret it.

Online Adami

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:00 AM »
So I saw that it's on my HBOGO app.

Still skeptical.

A part of me is expecting to hit play and be rick rolled.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
It was pretty good!  I don't remember  the dialogue being that tough to understand in the original show though... :lol  Maybe it's just me getting old.

Online Adami

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 02:48:07 PM »
It was pretty good!  I don't remember  the dialogue being that tough to understand in the original show though... :lol  Maybe it's just me getting old.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but yea the original show was often very difficult to understand. Assuming you mean confusing ways of speaking.

I would often have to re-watch a scene 2-3 times to figure out what they said.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 09:57:16 PM »

Haven't seen the movie yet, but yea the original show was often very difficult to understand. Assuming you mean confusing ways of speaking.

I would often have to re-watch a scene 2-3 times to figure out what they said.
I'll be interested to hear your comparison.  I just might have forgotten that dynamic of the original show.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 12:19:38 AM »
Yeah, the movie's dialogue is certainly a tad more complicated than the show was, not in a good way IMO. The show's dialogue never felt pretentious in writing yet complex enough to have you think about it in a fun and intriguing way, the movie's dialogue -again at parts- felt like someone was trying to imitate the way the show was written but ended up taking it a little too far.
Also it made it feel like we went 20 years backwards instead of 10 years forwards, the way people talk should be getting closer to what we comprehend now, not the other way around. Granted 10 years is not enough passed time to have significant culture changes that alters the way the people talk.
Now that was a minor complaint from me about the movie, which I otherwise enjoyed. I thought it was good enough, not amazing nor great, just sufficient closure. My wife didn't like it at all, she thought it was an insult to the show, I defended it by telling her they did good for the time they had, the show easily could have used another season.
I like Timothy Olyphant a lot for his on-screen charisma but I've always thought he was a bad actor, which is cool, there's a lot of bad actors that I like due to their vibes, Keanu Reeves comes to mind. So Olyphant did it for me okay on the show but he was very inconsistent in the movie. I can tribute Bullok's behavior in the movie to the character growing up and maturing over the years but his accent changing sounded weird and throw me off for a bit.
I liked seeing all the characters again, no reference to what happened to the ones who were not there. Like Cy and Richardson, who's actors died. Or Adams, I don't know why they couldn't get the actor who played Adams though, I would have loved to see him, same for Mose.
Random thoughts:
It was so cheerful and uplifting to see Sophia grown up into a healthy, normal and beautiful young woman.
It was weird to see a pimp, who often slept with and was frequently violent to his prostitute, act like her father and give her away at her wedding..
It was difficult to sell me on Jane having spent the last 10 years on the same schedule of constant drunkness without dying of alcohol poisoning.
It was heart-warming to see Bullok's family grown and his wife happy.
I was good to see Dan and Johnny at the bar again. I was surprised Al decided to leave the Gem to Trixie instead of Dan, considering what Al and Dan have been to each other. BTW The actor playing Dan said there's about 20 minutes cut from the movie for time, I hope that comes out with the BluRay.
It was a titanic stretch to sell me on the idea that George Hearst remembered Trixie, a woman he only saw for literally 2 seconds, 10 years ago. And was easily deceived back then when Swearengin showed him a different prostitute's corpse to avoid giving up Trixie. He remembered her as she came out and yelled at him from a balcony as he was passing through the street below. Huge stretch there.
I liked Harry Mannings on the show, kinda sad he turned out the way he did.
Fucking Wu, successfully avoiding to learn English 10 years on :lol
I've always hated Trixie and I was never sold on Star's love for her, perhaps because I personally cannot find any redeeming qualities to ill-tempered people. But they could have toned down her anti-sematic bull shit simply because I found it unrealistic for a man of that time to keep getting this kind of verbal abuse from a woman and still wants to marry her. She was even pregnant with his child, who's gonna be Jewish too! Is she gonna call the kid "Jew bastard" too?
Al is a shadow of his former self in this movie, due to his deteriorating health. And that could explain my next question: How come Al isn't a wealthy man yet? I mean all this planning and plotting for various business related threads in the original 3 seasons and he's still living in that minimal room over the saloon.
Again; despite it all I enjoyed this movie a lot and was pretty teared up throughout, just to see the place and the people again.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:32:51 AM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:37 AM »

I started. First two episodes are quite ok. Right now I'm not in "OMG this is awesome, why have I waited so long?" mode, but it's clear that there's a lot of worldbuilding going on, I'll see how the first season develops.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
Posting this in case any Deadwood fans would be interested. I've enjoyed Matt's writing/work for a while now and have no doubt the book will be top notch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattzollerseitz/a-lie-agreed-upon-the-deadwood-chronicles?ref=thanks-copy
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 02:10:43 AM »
So I've finished watching Season 1.

At first it didn't really grab me - sure, it was good, but I wasn't completely blown away. Then getting to know the characters and the storylines helped to get more into the story.

Al Swearingen started out, at least to me, as a plain villain, then thankfully he evolved into something (at least at times) more relatable, a charming asshole with hilarous and vulgar quips (how many times does people say cocksucker, really?  :lol).

I was surprised at Wild Bill Hickok's arc - then I realized that was an historical spoiler, I'm glad I didn't read up on him!

The reverend's illness was painful to watch. I'm glad he got a quick end to his sensless suffering.

So, all in all the story was captivating, held together by a strong cast and an even stronger writing. How does it go on? are season 2 and 3 worse, better, just as good?

Online Adami

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
So I finally watched the Deadwood movie a few weeks ago. Turns out it's real!

It was good. Not great. Suffered from being a movie. The show needed to be a show, you know? It needed multiple complicated interweaving stories instead of the very direct up front story of the movie. It felt like a nice epilogue to the show.

And on my move from North Dakota to New York, I found these two fellas (in different cities/states).

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »
Finished season 2 of Deadwood!

I don't think it will reach for me the "OMG AWESOME" territory, but it is good and it's a nice and captivating ensemble of good characters and storylines. The writing is superb and after 24 episodes you kinda start to emphatize with those who, at the beginning, would look most despicable, like E.B. and of ourse "Swedgin" (like Wu calls him), a titanic performance from Ian McShane who could read the laundry list all day long and make it sound awesome.

Guess I'll watch ASAP season 3 and then off with the movie!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »
At first it didn't really grab me - sure, it was good, but I wasn't completely blown away. Then getting to know the characters and the storylines helped to get more into the story.

For me, the story completely takes a back seat to this show. What makes it one of my top shows of all time is the dialogue, boy the dialogue still blows me away.

The reverend's illness was painful to watch. I'm glad he got a quick end to his sensless suffering.

The actor knocked it the fuck out of the park, he truly sold it. I can't name something in any other TV show that ever made me weep that bad. I remember the scene when he walks in Bullok & Star's shop at night and tells them he's afraid he's losing his mind and cannot tell who they are and they told him their names and where they're from and walked him back to his tent, I was a mess. Deadwood shows you the worst and the best in humanity, incredible kindness and outstanding cruelty are displayed at their best.

How does it go on? are season 2 and 3 worse, better, just as good?

For me things are slightly different, not in a good or a bad way, once Al stops being the big bad. I think season 2 is just as good as one. Season 3 is a notch lower for me due to an introduction of a side-storyline that goes absolutely nowhere and that is not interesting and does not even get revisited or even mentioned in the movie, but it did seem to bring down every episode in season 3 a little. That's as far as I can say about that without spoiling you.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
For me, the story completely takes a back seat to this show. What makes it one of my top shows of all time is the dialogue, boy the dialogue still blows me away.

Totally this. While the story was 'ok' and good enough to keep me interested......it was the freaking dialogue that was the hook. Especially Ian McShane as Swearengen....what a perfectly written and acted character. He WAS the show. IMO that show wouldn't have the 'lore' surrounding it had McShane not been cast and brought Swearengen to life like that.

The other characters were written and acted well also....just not to the iconic level that McShane did

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
For the record, aside from the good reviews, the presence of Ian McShane is what actually convinced me to watch the show. "If he was one of the protagonists, it must have been good". Boy it was.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
Since I played alot of Red Dead Redemption lately I craved for a good western show. So I thought what better time then to finally start watching this show. I never caught the train when it aired. Into E03 already and it's great but some characters I feel a bit iffy about but I'll give it some time to get to know everyone.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 11:48:05 AM »
Since I played alot of Red Dead Redemption lately I craved for a good western show. So I thought what better time then to finally start watching this show. I never caught the train when it aired. Into E03 already and it's great but some characters I feel a bit iffy about but I'll give it some time to get to know everyone.

Yeah, having recently watched it I can confirm that for the first episodes it's hard to keep track of who's who. Give time to the protagonists, they'll grow on you.

Online Adami

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
I honestly cannot think of a bad character on that show, though I haven't watched it in a while and there were a LOT of characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 12:57:13 AM »
I'm thinking about Jane, I get that she supposed to be a hardened and tough woman that's been through alot but I don't know, I just feel she overplays the character to the point it's comical, especially her face expressions which I find annoying.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 01:05:53 AM »
Well, with time you get to learn to love Al, but in the first episode he's just a ruthless, bad mouthed, shady businessman who finishes the episode beating up a prostitute. Not the best first impression.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 03:49:55 AM »
Well, with time you get to learn to love Al, but in the first episode he's just a ruthless, bad mouthed, shady businessman who finishes the episode beating up a prostitute. Not the best first impression.
Was talking about Calamity Jane though.  :P

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 03:57:24 AM »
Sorry for the brain fart, I totally didn't notice that the person commenting on Calamity Jane and the person saying some characters didn't start out great were the same   :lol I thought you were someone else trying to guess which character(s) could not be liked by a newcomer  :facepalm:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2019, 10:18:27 AM »
Sorry for the brain fart, I totally didn't notice that the person commenting on Calamity Jane and the person saying some characters didn't start out great were the same   :lol I thought you were someone else trying to guess which character(s) could not be liked by a newcomer  :facepalm:
I will accept the brain fart.  :laugh:

Btw I actually didn't know it's based on really life characters until I googled Calamity Jane, that's pretty cool.