Author Topic: How to handle friends and acquaintances with a *very* narrow musical taste?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline philmcson

:sigh:

So, I spent a part of this evening chatting with the younger brother of a friend of mine, he's a drummer just like me and was asking this and that about setting up the drumkit, technical advice and so on.... afterwards we had a chitchat about music and he had - for maybe the 500th time - the urge to tell me how much of a Metallica fanboy he is, that he owns almost all originals (except Load, lo and behold  ;D ), he wants to visit almost only their concerts, that his band is influenced by Kill 'em all and Master of Puppets........

I stopped him and told him that he can't expect to become a great drummer and musician if his lonely influence is Lars U., that all great drummers named at least ten other drummers and fav bands as influences. He replies that he only wants to listen to older bands (and names ONLY Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Megadeth!); I showed him MP's "Sabian obsessed....." video and pointed out that if the great oldies fanboy MP may find dozens of new bands to listen to every year then he'd be a fool to stick to only ten bands (literally).....
In his opinion metal festivals are bullshit as he'd be bored for the biggest part of the day (sure, if you'd only know two bands on the bill....), new bands are total kick-in-the-junks ("they sound all the same!")....

Told him about a few bands which I like, emphasized, for instance Darkane, "they're a cool Swedish thrash metal band!" whereas he replies "Oh, Swedish thrash. That must totally sound cool! I listened to a Swedish band and really disliked them!"

I concluded that his point of view is full of prejudice and medieval and that he really ought to get out of his Metallica-decorated bedroom and listen to a few local bands and ask other people about musical recommendations before he dares to start another musical discussion with me.

OMG! Do you have that kind of people in your circle, how do you deal with them and do you think those persons punish themselves by avoiding so much awesome music that's out there?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Different strokes for different folks. There are people who would think I'm a one trick pony because well over half of my music listening time over the last decade has been comprised of only 30-50 bands and there are also folks that would be shocked to know I have like 10,000 songs on my hard drive. Live and let live. Anyone can become great at anything even if their influence pool isn't as esoteric as some may deem acceptable.

If the dude's satisfied with the material he surrounds himself with and has no interest in what you're selling, you aren't doing him any favors by pushing the issue.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline robwebster

I handle them by leaving them to it. I've got loads of friends who I don't really talk about music with. Don't always have common ground with people. Nice when I can have a chat about it, but this place pretty much takes care of my music needs - out and about, I'm more likely to talk about other things.

If someone whose views I really didn't share kept bringing the subject up, I'd probably try to change it whenever possible. Non-commital answers. "James Hetfield is probably the best singer in the world." "He's pretty cool. How's the kids?" He's as convinced he's right as you're convinced you are, so just... let him have the last word. Indulge him, let him say what he wants to say, but if you contradict him you'll be talking for ages. There's no point, it's all opinions, you're both basically right. Just listen, bite your lip, and he'll eventually run out of steam.

Offline Ħ

Disown him. Metallica blows.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
As do their haters.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Disown him. Metallica blows.

Shut your filthy mouth!

Anywho, how old is the brother? I mean I was a huge Metallica fanboy when I was like 13-16. As someone ages they realize how awful Lars is, it's just part of the maturation process.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
You know what?  I appriciate people who know what they like and stick to their guns.  I hate when people try to be diplomatic and say they like everything.  Fuck that noise.  Be true to yourself.  I don't need to hear the next big thing in pop music to know that I probably won't like it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
"How to handle friends and acquaintances with a *very* narrow musical taste?"

Maybe by being a little less pretentious? :neverusethis:

(j/k, buddy)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
You're fighting a losing battle.  Sounds like he is set in his ways and it will take him liking other stuff on his own for that to change, since he is likely to resist anyone trying to change what he sees as his impeccable tastes.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
I agree. As sad as it sounds, he has to make his own choices. Even if his choice is to listen to nothing but Metallica for the next 5 years, there's nothing you can do short of dragging him into a secluded room, bound and chained, and force feed him new things. It has to come from within.
In time, curiosity gets the better of all of us. I can't tell you how long I use to listen to Slipknot day and night, but I'm glad I'm out of that. Now I listen to Miles Davis, Bob Marley, Genesis, Bruno Mars, and hell even deadmau5. I would have never listened to those bands back in the day (partially cause two of them weren't around as frequently). It just takes time.

Or, you could shovelfuck him with the broad end. :neverusethis:

Whichever works.

Edit: @philmcson - Any particular reason Metallica weighs heavily with him?...Besides the obvious reasons (heaviness, use of acoustics, long songs, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:55:04 AM by ThroughHerEyesDude6 »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: How to handle friends and acquaintances with a *very* narrow musical taste?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »
I can't help but think that people who listen to limited music are kinda boring. They might be cool in other ways obviously, but since I can listen to so many music styles myself, I would feel kinda bored talking music with someone who only listens to a particular genre.

However, I do think there's a positive side as well. Since I listen to so much music myself, I find it that it's very easy for me to fit in and talk music with others. If the person listens to more "classic" metal, I can talk Metallica and Maiden for example, if he's into singer/songwriter I can talk about Tallest Man on Earth or Neil Young. Just an example.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »
Honestly, it's cool. Not everyone has to be obsessed with exploring music like we are. Heck, there's loads of things in life I've never given heed to, even though they might be very important to some people.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:19 AM »
It's probably not really a big deal if somebody's only into one kind of music (although I'd find that conversation just as frustrating as you did).  The only real problem, in my opinion, is if that attitude is not limited to just his music tastes.  Being that closed-minded about music isn't that bad, but if he's that closed-minded about everything, I hope you never wind up discussing politics with him.

Or religion.

Or sexual positions.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 03:23:58 AM »
Well, you could always try the 2x4 with a nail through one end.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline philmcson

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
In fact you're all right and I wasn't even trying to draw him onto my point of view. I'm not the guy who's walkin' the street and persuading people to do this and that. It was just a bit awkward to be hit by his fanboyism for the 5th or 6th time in a row while chatting and I just thought, well, why not give the guy a nice idea?

@Ademi: He's 18 and I can only agree with you about Ulrich  ;D

@ThroughHerEyesDude16: He's never told me a particular reason, he just thinks Metallica is the most epic and powerful band on Earth....

@Phantasmatron: It's okay, he doesn't seem to be that closed-minded about other things and topics, so that's good enough.  ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »
My brother and sister are just like that - they are metalheads, strictly into clean vocaled but not too soft music, which limits them to a small heavy/power metal spectrum and nothing else. I've tried to get them into some music I like, but they will base their dislike on a genre tag, and they're completely oblivious to the concept of a grower - if they don't like the first minute of the first song of a band they play, I am not sure they would give it many more chances.

It is annoying and frustrating to me because they can't understand my habits in listening to music, and it was annoying and frustrating to me when I kept finding new bands that could accommodate even their strict and defined taste, and they would refuse to listen, out of sheer laziness, or just because of the fact that it was I who recommended something, since my music taste of course sucks and I listen to those yuck boring prog bands with 20 minute songs and awful growling and weirdness and gayness and whatever other descriptions they use. He's 25 and she's my twin so it's safe to say they will never grow out of it and that they'll become one of those people who refuse to listen to any new music claiming that in their time bands knew how it's done, and now they don't.

Their loss. And your brother's loss. Just play loud awesome music while he is around and let him comment on it or express any interest, and never let it look like you're recommending him something or asking him to listen to it because he might be too proud to admit he likes his bro's music :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »
I remember one time I was listening to a Bob Dylan album, I think it was Modern Times. About a week previous, my father had been proclaiming in the pub (rather loudly, there had been a fair number of beers) that Bob Dylan was his favourite musician.

Naturally he entered my room and proclaimed "What's this crap you're listening to? It's shit!"

So the answer "It's Bob Dylan, dad. Your favourite." shut him up quite succinctly.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline philmcson

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
It is annoying and frustrating to me because they can't understand my habits in listening to music, and it was annoying and frustrating to me when I kept finding new bands that could accommodate even their strict and defined taste, and they would refuse to listen, out of sheer laziness, or just because of the fact that it was I who recommended something, since my music taste of course sucks and I listen to those yuck boring prog bands with 20 minute songs and awful growling and weirdness and gayness and whatever other descriptions they use.

(...)

Their loss. And your brother's loss. Just play loud awesome music while he is around and let him comment on it or express any interest, and never let it look like you're recommending him something or asking him to listen to it because he might be too proud to admit he likes his bro's music :biggrin:

In fact, this was the same I felt like for a moment or two yesterday. But then, after all, I don't really care, it IS his decision but I dislike that his explanations for being closed-minded are literally the same. If he had listened to 200 bands and said this statement, no biggie. But c'mon, you can't listen to just 10 bands and spit on other peoples' musical tastes never having tried a song out of their recommendations.
In the last few months, I've been downloading and listening to so much new and lesser-known music and every day I'm like "WOW there's so much awesome music out there just waiting for you to give it a listen!"  :metal so that I feel a bit disappointed when people rigidly refuse to give it a try. But I really agree with all of you - his problem, not mine!

PS: he's not MY brother, but the brother of a friend of mine, so cranking the music up wouldn't do him a favor, only my neighbours  :D ;)

Naturally he entered my room and proclaimed "What's this crap you're listening to? It's shit!"

So the answer "It's Bob Dylan, dad. Your favourite." shut him up quite succinctly.

Epic  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
What I really hate is when supposed friends disagree with your music taste to the extent that they use it to "win" any argument.

" Oh - you don't get a say in this because you like [insert band here]."

:facepalm:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
What I really hate is when supposed friends disagree with your music taste to the extent that they use it to "win" any argument.

:lol

I gotta admit, I've used that before, though only when someone with questionable taste is criticizing me for something.  And I didn't limit it to just music.

"Your opinion doesn't matter here, you're still watching Heroes for godsakes."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: How to handle friends and acquaintances who disagree with you musically?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Oh, it's this thread again.  I get pretty heated about this kind of subject, primarily because I do have particular musical tastes, so I will try to be as respectful and understanding as possible.

:sigh:

So, I spent a part of this evening chatting with the younger brother of a friend of mine, he's a drummer just like me and was asking this and that about setting up the drumkit, technical advice and so on.... afterwards we had a chitchat about music and he had - for maybe the 500th time - the urge to tell me how much of a Metallica fanboy he is, that he owns almost all originals (except Load, lo and behold  ;D ), he wants to visit almost only their concerts, that his band is influenced by Kill 'em all and Master of Puppets........

I stopped him and told him that he can't expect to become a great drummer and musician if his lonely influence is Lars U., that all great drummers named at least ten other drummers and fav bands as influences. He replies that he only wants to listen to older bands (and names ONLY Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Megadeth!); I showed him MP's "Sabian obsessed....." video and pointed out that if the great oldies fanboy MP may find dozens of new bands to listen to every year then he'd be a fool to stick to only ten bands (literally).....
In his opinion metal festivals are bullshit as he'd be bored for the biggest part of the day (sure, if you'd only know two bands on the bill....), new bands are total kick-in-the-junks ("they sound all the same!")....

Told him about a few bands which I like, emphasized, for instance Darkane, "they're a cool Swedish thrash metal band!" whereas he replies "Oh, Swedish thrash. That must totally sound cool! I listened to a Swedish band and really disliked them!"

I concluded that his point of view is full of prejudice and medieval and that he really ought to get out of his Metallica-decorated bedroom and listen to a few local bands and ask other people about musical recommendations before he dares to start another musical discussion with me.

OMG! Do you have that kind of people in your circle, how do you deal with them and do you think those persons punish themselves by avoiding so much awesome music that's out there?

I recently went to a festival in Hershey like the ones you describe.  Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Fuel, etc.  I went along because others wanted to go.  For the most part, yes, is all sounds very similar to me.  If I could've gotten close enough, I'd have liked to punch the guy from Seether in the nuts.

When I was 18 years old, I had a couple of bands that I raved about at any opportunity.  Like most 18 year olds.  Give the kid some time.  His point of view is not prejudiced.  Peoples' listening tastes mature as they do.  Some faster than others.

I have very particular tastes in music, and everybody around here knows it.  I am perfectly capable of appreciating music in all its forms if it's pleasing to my ears, I just choose to listen to a lot of the same stuff.  Apparently that could have me labeled as prejudiced or boring.  If my opinion is that it doesn't please my ears, I don't expect to be looked down upon for disagreeing with someone over it.

Different strokes for different folks. There are people who would think I'm a one trick pony because well over half of my music listening time over the last decade has been comprised of only 30-50 bands and there are also folks that would be shocked to know I have like 10,000 songs on my hard drive. Live and let live. Anyone can become great at anything even if their influence pool isn't as esoteric as some may deem acceptable.

If the dude's satisfied with the material he surrounds himself with and has no interest in what you're selling, you aren't doing him any favors by pushing the issue.

This, oh so very much this.

You're fighting a losing battle.  Sounds like he is set in his ways and it will take him liking other stuff on his own for that to change, since he is likely to resist anyone trying to change what he sees as his impeccable tastes.

This is a good point.  Also, as far as resisting, that works on both sides.  OP's impeccable tastes are also called into question by an 18 year old with not a lot of musical experience, so the 18 year old must just not know what he's talking about.

I can't help but think that people who listen to limited music are kinda boring.  They might be cool in other ways obviously, but since I can listen to so many music styles myself, I would feel kinda bored talking music with someone who only listens to a particular genre.

However, I do think there's a positive side as well. Since I listen to so much music myself, I find it that it's very easy for me to fit in and talk music with others. If the person listens to more "classic" metal, I can talk Metallica and Maiden for example, if he's into singer/songwriter I can talk about Tallest Man on Earth or Neil Young. Just an example.

Boring, party of one, right here.  :lol  It is nice to be able to discuss a wider array of bands.  I, personally, would find it equally boring to have to wade through so many different bands and genres and such.  Give me what I like and I'm happy.  If that makes me boring or uncultured or prejudiced or whatever, then it's a badge I'll wear proudly.  As b_f said, different strokes and such.

In fact you're all right and I wasn't even trying to draw him onto my point of view. I'm not the guy who's walkin' the street and persuading people to do this and that. It was just a bit awkward to be hit by his fanboyism for the 5th or 6th time in a row while chatting and I just thought, well, why not give the guy a nice idea?

Okay, that's cool.  Again, I guess it makes sense that the kid is 18 and has it bad for one band.  He'll come around, eventually.  Maybe suggest to him that one day, without realizing it, he WILL find himself looking for other influences and he'll be pleasantly surprised to find that his musical tastes WILL evolve and it'll be all the more helpful for his drumming.

My brother and sister are just like that - they are metalheads, strictly into clean vocaled but not too soft music, which limits them to a small heavy/power metal spectrum and nothing else. I've tried to get them into some music I like, but they will base their dislike on a genre tag, and they're completely oblivious to the concept of a grower - if they don't like the first minute of the first song of a band they play, I am not sure they would give it many more chances.

It is annoying and frustrating to me because they can't understand my habits in listening to music, and it was annoying and frustrating to me when I kept finding new bands that could accommodate even their strict and defined taste, and they would refuse to listen, out of sheer laziness, or just because of the fact that it was I who recommended something, since my music taste of course sucks and I listen to those yuck boring prog bands with 20 minute songs and awful growling and weirdness and gayness and whatever other descriptions they use. He's 25 and she's my twin so it's safe to say they will never grow out of it and that they'll become one of those people who refuse to listen to any new music claiming that in their time bands knew how it's done, and now they don't.

A lot of folks around here are just as dismissive if the genre tag says "hair metal" or if the band's name is "Kiss".  There is nothing inherently wrong with just NOT liking certain styles of music.  If someone tries to play me a rap or a country song, I'm going to shut them down immediately and suggest that they not bother.  We're always going to disagree on it.  As annoyed and frustrated as you are that they're not interested in your music, is it possible that they're as frustrated and annoyed that you don't seem to understand their habits in listening to music?  I think your idea of not forcing it is great!  To have it playing when they come around, instead of saying "Here, listen to this!" may allow them to hear it, without being MADE to listen to it.  They'll be a lot more open to enjoying it under those circumstances.  An excellent point.

Well, to be fair, if you listen to Nickelback, I'm probably going to use that argument.  :lol

Look, I get it, it's a big world and we all have different tastes in music.  I have a hard time "getting" it that people are so into so many things I don't particularly care for.  Just as well as people may not "get" my listening tastes any better.  And that's fine.  When this discussion comes up, it always feels like a person like me is less cultured, less refined, and less musically valid, because I have a smaller pool of music that I choose to swim in.  I try to avoid turning that argument around on people and making them feel somehow lesser for being so very open-minded.

I really hope that this doesn't invite a bunch of criticism, because I'm really not trying to be an asshole, just trying to present a (rambling and incoherent) perspective from one of the few people here who DO fall into the "musically narrow-minded" category.

So again, how to handle your friend?  Let him go and love Metallica.  In a few years, he'll open up.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
With ridicule.

That's usually my answer... for all things.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
I wouldn't take it so personally. I used to be that kid... I really was that kid. From 8th grade up until 12th, I was known throughout my 1,000 + student class, by literally every swinging dick and every Nancy as... "The Metallica Maniac". I kid you not. I even prided myself on it. I listened to Metallica all day, every day; and when I did venture out into the world of the unknown, it was with bands like Ozzy, Pantera, Megadeth, and maaaybe Iron Maiden, but even then I'd scoff at them and go back to my safe haven of 'Tallica obsessions. That said, the band that broke me out of that daze was Dream Theater, and the song was The Glass Prison. I had no fucking clue what hit me when I heard that amazing piece of music. Except it didn't break me out of my very limited view of the musical world. It took months and months of exploring other music until I went back to that song and fell in love with it.

I guess what I'm trying to say it, he will break out of his...pffffthurrr...solitary shell WABWAHURHUR! He will have to do it on his own, and it will probably take a lot longer than you or anyone else expects. Thing is, shoving new music in his face will not do it; nor will telling him how limited his view is and how much he's missing. No, that will only shove him further down into puppet master's hands. Believe you me, it will take a lot more than lectures and throwing various artists in his ears for him to break out. But one day, he will discover a piece of music and he will think "How...HOW CAN I LIKE THIS!?" and then he will go back to Metallica for a while, and it will seem stale...different somehow. Then, slowly but surely, he will break out of the mold of Metallica and from then on he will be a beautiful butterfly.

Let him do his thing. Let him think that Metallica is all there is. Because it is...for now. But inspiration will hit, and he will inevitably become enamored with whatever song or band that slaps him across the face so hard he won't even remember Hetfield's name and Hammett will seem like a poser.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »

:lol

I gotta admit, I've used that before, though only when someone with questionable taste is criticizing me for something.  And I didn't limit it to just music.

"Your opinion doesn't matter here, you're still watching Heroes for godsakes."

To add something to this - I really try *not* to be that guy who insults people on a personal level for their tastes. I may explain why I don't like the band or

whatever myself but I hate when people insult YOU for your film or music tastes. That's low.

EDIT : I definitely DON'T like Nickelback  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I thought Tom Petty was the greatest thing ever when I was 4.

I thought the Offspring were the greatest thing ever in middle school.

I thought Disturbed were the greatest thing ever in high school.

I thought Iced Earth were the greatest thing ever in college.

I still think Dream Theater are the greatest thing ever.

:biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
People like what they like, and they explore new things on their own terms, when they're ready for them.

Personally, him adoring Lars Ulrich is pretty silly, but I find the swarms of drummers who consider MP to be the greatest drummer ever even more silly.

Also, depth > breath. Really appreciating a few artists deeply is better than "discovering" as many as you can each year.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »
Also, depth > breath. Really appreciating a few artists deeply is better than "discovering" as many as you can each year.

Why? Not that I think the reverse is true, but that seems like a silly thing to say.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »

Why? Not that I think the reverse is true, but that seems like a silly thing to say.

I dunno. The OP seems upset that his friend likes Lars, and doesn't want to branch out to get into progressive rock. I can't really blame him. Finding music you like enough to make a constant in your life is a cool and special thing, and I disdain the kind of musical-statistical conquest I see lots of my friends and affiliates constantly embarking on.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
There is no "greatest drummer." There are great drummers, but there cannot be one who is the greatest.
But him liking Lars is pretty ridiculous

You should ridicule him. Tell him that liking only one genre of music will get him nowhere and he should branch out. He'll branch out eventually but this might help speed it up
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Anyone ridiculing anyone else due to their likes and dislikes is a cunty thing to do, regardless of said musicians talent. Just as is being irked because someone limits themselves, or on the opposite end, has a desire to find as many bands as possible. It's all ridiculous and I don't quite understand why someone would 'disdain' someone else (or their actions) for doing what they want in regards to their tastes.

LET THEM EAT CAKE.

I don't think that phrase applies here. Buttfuck it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Musicians tend to be more open when it comes to music tastes.

Casual listeners like to be more reserved with their taste.

What bugs me is when I find a great song with great lyrics about life or life problems, uplifting messages. Yet no one gets them. I still say their loss but i get sad such beauty isnt appreciated.

Basically I promote good music through Facebook hoping someone will enjoy the song
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline philmcson

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

I dunno. The OP seems upset that his friend likes Lars, and doesn't want to branch out to get into progressive rock. I can't really blame him. Finding music you like enough to make a constant in your life is a cool and special thing, and I disdain the kind of musical-statistical conquest I see lots of my friends and affiliates constantly embarking on.

No, I'm miles away from being upset that someone likes Lars more than any other drummer. Like I said, it's his thing, but there are only two "problems" which still aren't mine but his:

a) it's really true, when you listen to only a dozen bands or even less (especially if they're all from the same genre) and then you try to be a creative drummer who'll come up with a fresh idea in every situation, you're not gonna get far. When I was told this, I thought it's a bunch of bollocks. A few embarrassing rehearsals later I was like, yeah ok, let's try some other music..... now I'm playing in a band whose members sometimes tell me they're not able to follow all of my ideas (e.g. more complicated patterns, 5/4, 9/8 etc. rhythms...... ) which is a situation more comfortable to be in as a drummer. You can't get into that situation if you only adore one drummer and discard the rest.....

b) I don't go and chat him up about the fact that he should try this and that band. But recently it happened that he shows up on chat and says, "Hey man, I've gotta show you something!" and in 9 times out of 10, it was Metallica. In Tushino, Seattle, San Diego, S&M, Baghdad....  ;D and I was like, "no problem that you want to show me something, but why has it always to be Metallica. Don't you listen to some other music???" So, it IS his problem, but he shouldn't force his taste down my throat if I haven't asked him to. Which I never will. Yesterday I posted a Lars meme on my FB where it says "Making crappy albums since 1996 - expecting you to buy them!" and all of a sudden he felt the urge to show up on chat and ask me like a policeman why am I posting that shit..... was he trying to convert my point of view or what?!?

OK, now, when it comes to compare drummers, sure enough Lars isn't a bad drummer, but I personally think that Lars (even though he's still not too old) has deteriorated too much over the years. Heck, Nicko McBrain is almost 60 years old and his drum tech (yes, I've had the honor to meet both of them personally) told me that due to his years he can hardly drum an average Maiden concert from beginning till end without feeling extremely tired. Yet, on their latest release he's come up with some patterns and rhythms where I ask myself how he'd done this and I think it's great that a drummer in his late fifties still has the urge to improve himself and come up with some fresh ideas.
When it comes to MP, of course he isn't the BEST drummer, but that guy has taught me (and lots of other drummers) how to turn repetitive patterns into unique grooves by adding a lick over various effects here and there. And how to be creative. After all, we all know how much different bands he's played in and up to know I haven't heard one of his fellow bandmembers that it got too boring playing with MP  ;)

To name a few of my other drumming influences beside McBrain and Portnoy, those would be Marco Minnemann, Stefan Schwarzmann (Accept), Peter Wildoer, Mario Duplantier (Gojira), Neil Peart, Mike Wengren (Disturbed), Mike Mangini,  Aquiles Priester, Thomas Pridgen,..... couldn't have happened by just listening to Iron Maiden  :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
A lot of folks around here are just as dismissive if the genre tag says "hair metal" or if the band's name is "Kiss".  There is nothing inherently wrong with just NOT liking certain styles of music.  If someone tries to play me a rap or a country song, I'm going to shut them down immediately and suggest that they not bother.  We're always going to disagree on it.  As annoyed and frustrated as you are that they're not interested in your music, is it possible that they're as frustrated and annoyed that you don't seem to understand their habits in listening to music?  I think your idea of not forcing it is great!  To have it playing when they come around, instead of saying "Here, listen to this!" may allow them to hear it, without being MADE to listen to it.  They'll be a lot more open to enjoying it under those circumstances.  An excellent point.
Yeah, but I'm not, so it always makes me sad to hear someone is. Really. I dislike Kiss, for example, but I've listened to them extensively to form that opinion; if someone still wanted to play me a good Kiss song I might have not heard, I'd say "fine, play it." I've stopped being disappointed in them not liking my music 'round the time I got into Dream Theater/prog, I'm just annoyed they won't check out stuff I know for sure they'll like because they've "heard enough", in my head there's really not such a thing as enough music :biggrin: maybe my attitude will change. I'm young and naive and apparently can't live and let live :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline philmcson

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »
Yeah, but I'm not, so it always makes me sad to hear someone is. Really. I dislike Kiss, for example, but I've listened to them extensively to form that opinion; if someone still wanted to play me a good Kiss song I might have not heard, I'd say "fine, play it." I've stopped being disappointed in them not liking my music 'round the time I got into Dream Theater/prog, I'm just annoyed they won't check out stuff I know for sure they'll like because they've "heard enough", in my head there's really not such a thing as enough music :biggrin: maybe my attitude will change. I'm young and naive and apparently can't live and let live :biggrin:

Lisa Simpson of prog metal?  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
I don't bother. I'm happy with my music and people want to show me something ill listen with open ears but I don't push my music on anyone else. Usually I'll just get asked about it when it's playing in my car.