Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums! v. THE NUMBER ONE + ending  (Read 31423 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums! v. THE NUMBER ONE + ending
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
It's my turn now! Hey,all the cool kids do a top 50 albums list so i thought to myself:"Hey Lolzeez,get off your ass and look back at your 50 favorite albums of all time!" And here I am! Also just a little side note here: This list is mostly prog rock and jazz fusion oriented. So if you don't like any of those then you're not gonna like this list. Also I might have some weird picks,but hey isn't that what makes a top 50 list enjoyable? Oh btw my write ups are terrible and most of them were written at 3AM when i can't get sleep. So yeah. I'm gonna post my first three albums tomorrow. (Tomorrow for me at least...)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:22:59 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Mladen

Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Prog rock, eh? Following.  :smiley:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
^ me too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
 :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
have not heretofore followed these lists that closely (sorry), but prog rock and jazz fusion sounds intriguing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Can't wait to see what you have on your list, Lolz.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
Well, you haven't exactly been discreet about your number 1 (I think?)  :biggrin:
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
Well, you haven't exactly been discreet about your number 1 (I think?)  :biggrin:
my NUmber 1 is known in the entire forum. Right? Can't you just guEss it? ReallY? Can you? Right? Yeah! My Elegant friends know this  :lol

there is a nugget in there lollololololol

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
Looking forward to this as I'm a huge prog rock fan. I love jazz fusion but I'm not too familiar with the genre so hopefully this list will help me discover some great albums.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:46:15 AM »
And we begin! Btw my writeups suck. So yeah.

50)Spock's Beard-V (2000)

This album right here is their best album. I've listened to every studio/live album and this is what i think. Every song on here is good besides the bloody awful "All On A Sunday". Songs like The Great Nothing or At The End Of The Day summarize what Spock's Beard can do. But this album has my all time favorite by these guys. Thoughts Part 2. Holy crap. This song right here is my favorite by them. It starts out quite mellow kind of like a balad and then goes into badass instrumental mode. I love the chorus and the great work on the keyboards. Still,I'd like the song to be longer. Uhh yeah!

Favorite songs:At The End Of The Day,Thoughts Part 2,The Great Nothing

49)Herbie Hancock-Head Hunters (1973)

One of my first jazz albums. The entire album is very enjoyable. It really is. Very consistent. This isn't really an album for listening, this is an album that you put on when you're chilling or studying or something. It really shines there. By the way Chameleon might be the sexiest song ever written. That song is so awesome. Probably my favorite in the whole album. Watermelon Man is also quite cool. Sly is an amazing song as well!  Well i dont have much to say other than that i need to get a better condition vinyl. My copy is so worn out and used it's not even funny.

Favorite Songs: Chameleon and Sly are like the first jazz songs that i loved. (When i was 9)

48)Grateful Dead-Live Dead (1969)

Might be one of my favorite live albums. They really play their ass off. Seriously, i don't even know any names to their studio albums. I just listen to this. It's awesome. Dark Star is just dream like. How do they come up with this shit? Cause it rocks! Only thing that i dont like is the "song" called Feedback. Cause it is what the title says. Just feedback from guitar and some other sounds to form a jam. It's quite eerie too. Some people don't mind it but i never understood it. Am I stupid? Nah i don't think so..

Favorite songs: Dark Star,St. Stephen,Turn On Your Lovelight
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:25:40 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
V is a great start to any top 50 list.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 05:18:46 AM »
^

I haven't listened to any of the other 2
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »
^

I haven't listened to any of the other 2
Check out Live Dead for sure. It's so good. And listen to Headhunters when you are just chilling home. It's perfect.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
'All on a Sunday' + 'bloody awful'.... does not compute.

I agree on Thoughts Pt. 2 being awesome though, that song is the shit.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
my NUmber 1 is known in the entire forum. Right? Can't you just guEss it? ReallY? Can you? Right? Yeah! My Elegant friends know this  :lol

there is a nugget in there lollololololol
Nice  :lol
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:57:56 AM »

Wait you like that song? WHY?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:22 AM »
You know the list will be good when V is the first one to come up.  :tup

I'm surprised that one of your all time favorite albums has a bloody awful song on it, though.  :lol I've always liked All on a Sunday, it's so joyful and pretty. Unfortunately, I've had problems with The Great nothing from the day one, and I still consider it a little bit overrated - there are many Spock's beard epics that I like better. That song aside, the entire album is amazing.  :smiley:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »

Wait you like that song? WHY?

Because it's nice and joyful and stuff. It is probably the worst on the album though, but it's not a bad song by any means, at least in my opinion.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 06:15:25 AM »
You know the list will be good when V is the first one to come up.  :tup

I'm surprised that one of your all time favorite albums has a bloody awful song on it, though.  :lol I've always liked All on a Sunday, it's so joyful and pretty. Unfortunately, I've had problems with The Great nothing from the day one, and I still consider it a little bit overrated - there are many Spock's beard epics that I like better. That song aside, the entire album is amazing.  :smiley:
It has a bloody awful song but the rest makes up for it. And I wanted to put one Spock's Beard album in so yeah... Either this or Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality was gonna make the cut.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
hey Lolzeez, would you mind putting the release year for each album in your posts?  Makes it easier to update my database.

Great choice with Head Hunters.  Can't go wrong with Herbie!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
hey Lolzeez, would you mind putting the release year for each album in your posts?  Makes it easier to update my database.

Great choice with Head Hunters.  Can't go wrong with Herbie!
Sure!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
I love V but I haven't heard the other 2. I like All On A Sunday despite it being a bit cheesy.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
Following, should be good

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »
WOOT NEXT THREE!!!!

47)Focus-Moving Waves (1971)

Man this is a cool album! Found this at a goodwill and was told that this was a great album by my friend. This person usually joked around with me making me buy crappy albums and laughing at me.For example he got me into ELP and said that Love Beach was their best album. I'm not kidding. Then i bought that… Yeah… Don't worry i know which ELP albums are good now. (Might show up later…) Back to Focus. Well this album is actually amazing. The first song,Hocus Pocus is their biggest hit. It's a kind of funny song with the funny vocals. But the drums are complex and the guitar by Jan Akkerman are absolutely some of the best I've ever heard. That riff… The rest of the album are also amazingly good. Focus 2 is a quite good ballady instrumental. I'm quite fond of that one. But the epic of the album,Eruption steals the show. 23 minutes of beauty. Pretty much. I'd rank it up there with songs like Close To The Edge,Supper's Ready,Echoes,Karn Evil and so on. Love this album and you MUST listen to this band.

Favorite songs: Hocus Pocus,Focus 2,Eruption aka musical orgy

46)Dixie Dregs-Dregs Of The Earth (1980)

Yes. This is my favorite Dixie Dregs album. Not What If. Why you may ask? I answer T Lavitz. In my opinion he fits the band much better than Mark Parrish. I don't have much to say tbh. I really love the album opener called "Road Expense". Being my first song by the band, it got my pretty hyped. Pride O' The Farm is quite funny. The song has a countryish sound. Kinda cool. Really love what T Lavitz does on here. The keyboard has a western feel which is really cool. The song "I'm Freaking Out" is probably my favorite Dixie Dregs song. It's a really jazzy and groovy song. Same can be said about the whole damn album. It's very jazzy. Explains why i really love this album i suppose.

Favorite Song:I'm freaking out

45)Ayreon-The Human Equation (2004)

Thank you to everyone that sent this to my roulette. I love you. This album is fantastic. This is the stuff that will be remembered 30 years from now. We're gonna call this the classical music of our times. This shit is gonna be considered some of the most genius shit of our times. This album has many talented people that know how to use their talents. James Labrie,Devin Townsend,Mikael Akerfeldt,the "women" (idk who they are but they can sing) This album also has some of the greatest keyboard work I've ever heard of. I'm 100% sure that this album will grow bigger on me in a couple months going even up to my top 30s. Fucking adore this.

Favorite songs: I don't know any song names yet believe it or not. Laugh if you want. I just listened to this last week. But yeah. I love it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
Two Dutch artists in one update; most likely a record.
Squ

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
Moving Waves is a great album. The only other Focus album I have is Hamburger Concerto which I think is slightly better.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »
Woah.Nobody said how bad my write ups are yet. Damn!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Nice to see Moving Waves on da list. Ambitious stuff from prog's early days. And that Ayreon album was a huge deal for me when I first got it. I still really like it, but now I prefer Into the Electric Castle.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

You're a kid writing in a language that is not your native tongue.  You have the ultimate get out of jail free card on that one.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »

You're a kid writing in a language that is not your native tongue.  You have the ultimate get out of jail free card on that one.
Yeah. I guess you're right. Btw at the end of the top 50 i'm gonna reveal something. No I'm not Mike Portnoy or Kevin Moore. (Though I'm pretty sure that i saw Kevin Moore in real life. Oh yeah i should tell you about that sometime...)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
THE is about 43 spots too low... at least in my opinion.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
I enjoy those 3 albums. It's nice to see some appreciation for Focus, I haven't listened to them in a long time
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »

Well said, Doc.

Doing a great job so far, Lolz. :tup

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
I totally agree with what you said about the keyboard work on the album. The instrumental section of Day Four: Mystery is one of my favorites.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

Well said, Doc.

Doing a great job so far, Lolz. :tup
:metal