Author Topic: Scott Walker  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Scott Walker
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
So basically he just put out a new album, 'Bish Bosch', which I'm digesting right now.
I'm in love with 'The Drift' but I'm afraid to start with more, since both the new album and 'The Drift' are two of the most dense and dark albums I own.

But in my opinion he is a fascinating artist, someone too good to be overlooked by the bunch of music fans that we are over here on DTF.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Scott Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
I'm familiar with The Drift. I like it but its a pretty messed up album, and its definitely not something that I could listen to any time out of the blue.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »
Gonna have to listen to the new album. The Drift and Tilt were nearly perfect albums. His voice is sort of weird but the music is sick.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:37:54 AM »
I've only heard The Drift, some really creepy stuff. Might check the new album out.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
The new one is already growing on me more than The Drift.

I gotta check 'Tilt' out by the way.
Oh and yesterday I did a youtube search, and found some old material when he was 'just' a singer. Really strange to hear his voice in such a normal way, compared to the strange, creepyness of the later albums.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Such a strange man.

His early stuff is just standard crooner music, pleasant enough.

Climate of Hunter was the first proper original solo album he did really, and it's still got a lot of stylistic elements from his roots, but you can really hear his creepy experimentation coming through a lot of it. It's quite a dark album.

Tilt is pretty much a masterpiece. Excellent blend of weirdness with musicality.

The Drift is just too much for me. I can't listen to it in a single sitting.

Haven't heard the new album yet, but if it carries on the way he's been going, it'll be so fucked up that I want to kill myself the instant I hear it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
Yeah probably. Although it has a lot of abstract poem-etic lyrics. Just strange alliterations, wonderful stuff.

The music itself though is a tad less creepy than on The Drift (early conclusions on my behalf) but somehow more intens.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
New album is on my ever expanding to buy list

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:26:31 AM »
Yeah, I've got a list like that myself. I just always happen to buy stuff I see, instead of just starting at the top of that list and working my way down, haha.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
Yeah, I've got a list like that myself. I just always happen to buy stuff I see, instead of just starting at the top of that list and working my way down, haha.

That's what I do. I don't usually prioritize. If I see it at an affordable price, I get it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Just started listening. Only one song in. Yeah, I'm going to be on edge for the next hour.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
All right, there's straight-up a song with farting noises. WTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
Closing remarks: One of the best albums of 2012. Walker's personal best, even better than Tilt and The Drift. Great album of...err....I don't want to say "music"....but great album!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »

Yeah, that's taking it a bit too far for me too. I understand the 'concept'. But you know, it's still a song with fart noises.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
Haven't heard of Scott Walker until recently, haven't listened to any of his music but I just put on "Cue'.

So far a few minutes in. . .. Strange is all I can say.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:10:35 AM »
Just started listening. Only one song in. Yeah, I'm going to be on edge for the next hour.
These two posts in succession made me lol.

Yeah this is one fucked up album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline John94

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
He approached my Dad in a pub one time. Gave him a tape and said "do you know who I am?" - He played the tape on a Walkman and said "that's Me."

I've only heard a few of his solo songs outside of Walker Brothers, but Farmer In the City is, um, odd. Judging by the thread, so is most of his work!

Offline Ghost

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Really digging the album. Fun to listen to while drifting to sleep..

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
He approached my Dad in a pub one time. Gave him a tape and said "do you know who I am?" - He played the tape on a Walkman and said "that's Me."

I've only heard a few of his solo songs outside of Walker Brothers, but Farmer In the City is, um, odd. Judging by the thread, so is most of his work!

I believe all of his solo work at least is odd. The Walker Brothers stuff is just totally different.

Most of all I realize I can't listen to his work every week. Maybe not even every month. I really really have to be in the right mood.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
It was that time of the month again. I love the breakdown, the totally agressive heavy bit halfway the long song on the new record.

I was walking outside, with my headphones on, and if people saw me they must've thought I was about to murder someone. Emotionally one of the heaviest bits of music I know.