Author Topic: "Don't judge me."  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Don't judge me."
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
"Don't judge me, but I enjoy being tied to a stove while a woman throws tomatoes at me. So what??"

You mean regular people don't?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
I'm very opinionated and I often get misinterpreted as being angry when I'm really not. Adami said something a few weeks ago that stuck with me. He adjusted his personality on the forums because he felt misunderstood. I have tried to do the same.

CALM DOWN DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, buddy! :) :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
Um... YOLO for me?  You Obviously Love Opeth :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »
 :laugh: :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
I thought it was always a non serious expression.

"I actually think she's kinda hot"

*blank stares*

"Don't judge me"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
I mean, it's definitely used more often than not as that kinda joking attitude; but I've heard it used in a super cereal manner just as much. It's all relative I suppose. There are plenty of Facebook posts I've seen when I still had one that have that phrasing in it that were just...inane.

RIP DTP.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
It's used jokingly now, but it started as a serious expression.  Same with a lot of expressions.

"Don't judge me" used to actually be a plea not to judge someone too harshly for what they've just said which revealed something about their morals or beliefs; now it's used jokingly in situations which are similar but not nearly as serious.

"You only live once" is the same.  It used to mean that you should live life to the fullest, because it's all you've got.  Go sky diving, see the Grand Canyon, stuff like that.  Now, as has been pointed out, it's basically an excuse for doing stupid shit.  Getting drunk and stealing a Ferrari, then seeing if you can outrun the cops.  But the situations in which you'd use the expression are again similar; it's just a matter of degree.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 02:44:52 AM »
I have never actually heard anyone I know use that or YOLO in a serious context before.

Yeah, same. Only times I remember hearing "Don't judge me!" were on comedic TV shows.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »
I've never heard anyone I know say "Don't judge me."  And if they did, the first thing I would do is to judge them.  On principle.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 04:16:01 AM »
Rarely heard the phrase.  I've heard, "Don't tase me bro" a lot more. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »
"You only live once" is the same.  It used to mean that you should live life to the fullest, because it's all you've got.  Go sky diving, see the Grand Canyon, stuff like that.  Now, as has been pointed out, it's basically an excuse for doing stupid shit.  Getting drunk and stealing a Ferrari, then seeing if you can outrun the cops.  But the situations in which you'd use the expression are again similar; it's just a matter of degree.

And then those same people are usually pretty prone to dying because of their "YOLO" behavior.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »
While this phrase is certainly abused, many people DO judge others for very shallow and stupid reasons. It's a good phrase that is unfortunately cheapened by being used by people who just like making excuses for their bad behavior.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
Just last night I had a wonderful example sprawled before me on the floor of a friends house; half-naked, laying in the middle of the kitchen was a drunken little cum-bucket. I asked her if she needed any help or if she wanted to go outside to get some air. Her response...in a slurred fury of embarrassed bitchiness: " ???YA....idunn...yura... :laugh:
YO. yol.
 :azn:

YOLO! :angry:"

Then I pissed on her. Not really. But I felt like throwing a bucket of water on her. I just walked away and found out later that she took some E and drank waaaay too much and basically just gave the small party there a little show before climbing onto the couch and passing out. So yeah, it's definitely a phrase that's used more than "Don't judge me", but it essentially has the same contextual meaning and is more than likely used by the same dumb cunts.

P.S. If you happen to use this phrase a lot, you should take offense. Feel shame. Much shame.

RIP DTP.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
In my experience, I've never heard a person use this phrase seriously -- like, if someone has a guilty pleasure band and they're telling a group of people that they like them, then they might throw out a "don't judge me" as a joke.  I've never heard anybody say that to justify something that's actually bad or reprehensible.

This is usually the context I hear it in as well. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
:lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline penguinspanda

• v. Pandavarium
  • It doesnt matter if you're black or white...
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
Hmmm, I pretty much only ever pull this one out in relation to food. Particularly when I feel like I know what I'm eating is exceptionally glutinous, or borders something a pregnant woman would stereotypically crave. I picked this phrase up from Jay.....I've been lucky enough not have come across people using it to defend their ignorance.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
I'm drinking ice cold frosty shit beer while watching Monday Night Football. Don't judge me. #YOLO
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon