Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61844 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 30, 2023, 09:35:16 AM »
Yep, that'd fit the pattern. Been a fan since the Menel days, and they've had at least 3 years between albums since then. I know for the band it's a tremendous undertaking since they all have day jobs and are scattered all over the UK. I saw one post from Mike that just to get them in the same place for recording cost a few thousand in travel alone.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #701 on: May 30, 2023, 09:36:21 AM »
Don't they usually perform (nearly) finished songs live (and maybe work on them a bit more) before releasing them on albums? I remember hearing For Another Lifetime before Resistance came out.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #702 on: May 30, 2023, 09:40:23 AM »
So it looks like the 4 - 9 - 4 - 9 - 4 pattern will continue.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 30, 2023, 10:14:33 AM »
Don't they usually perform (nearly) finished songs live (and maybe work on them a bit more) before releasing them on albums? I remember hearing For Another Lifetime before Resistance came out.

That happens, yes. I heard two of the songs from Resistance in 2017, nothing unreleased either in 2019 or 2023 though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #704 on: August 12, 2023, 02:39:14 PM »
Been slowly moving through my IQ discovery journey and have had Frequency in my car for a couple of weeks now. What a fantastic record. This is up there with Bones for me. It's funny, the drums felt different to me and I was right. This is the one album Andy plays on. I also noticed the keys seemed more diverse and I see it was the only album with Mark on those. Anyway, great album with not a dud on it for me.

I'm not going in order either. Jumping all around. So far, I have heard Bones, Dark Matter, and Resistance along with Frequency.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #705 on: August 12, 2023, 02:45:44 PM »
Frequency is always in the discussion for best IQ album for me, along with Subterrenea and Ever. Just a great disc, got so lucky at Progstock to see them play Closer.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #706 on: August 12, 2023, 03:12:23 PM »
I got into IQ this year and Frequency is also my number one. It's heavy, beautiful, accessible, complex, dark and cheerful at the same time. Some of my other favorites include Ever, Dark matter and the debut. I prefer the newer stuff overall, though, from 2000s onwards.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #707 on: August 12, 2023, 08:53:22 PM »
Subterranea took a long time to click with me, but when it did OH BOY!

Seventh House is climbing my charts. Dark Matter is the only one I’m a bit lukewarm on. Sacred Sound is amazing but it kind of falls off a bit after that and Harvester of Souls is my least favorite of all their epics.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #708 on: August 12, 2023, 09:08:20 PM »
Harvest of Souls is a trip, amazing beginning and ending but it loses me in the middle. It just pales so hard compared to Seventh House, Province, or Narrow Margin.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #709 on: August 12, 2023, 09:25:15 PM »
Oddly enough, for me, when I discovered IQ, Dark Matter was their latest album, and I was instantly hooked. Love "Harvest of Souls", despite having some clear "Supper's Ready" inspirations (though perhaps that why I grew to love it and the whole album when I first began my prog journey.

As it stands, I love DM, TSH, and Ever, but have had trouble getting into Subterranea, and Frequency, though their last two have been easier for me to digest/get into.

Over-all, I think I enjoy most of their albums to varying degrees, and I don't think they've mad a single out-right BAD album, though I haven't listened to the two Menel albums very much to form a big opinion on them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #710 on: August 12, 2023, 10:07:40 PM »
Oddly enough, for me, when I discovered IQ, Dark Matter was their latest album, and I was instantly hooked. Love "Harvest of Souls", despite having some clear "Supper's Ready" inspirations (though perhaps that why I grew to love it and the whole album when I first began my prog journey.

As it stands, I love DM, TSH, and Ever, but have had trouble getting into Subterranea, and Frequency, though their last two have been easier for me to digest/get into.

Over-all, I think I enjoy most of their albums to varying degrees, and I don't think they've mad a single out-right BAD album, though I haven't listened to the two Menel albums very much to form a big opinion on them.

-Marc.

The Menel albums have moments that are right up there with IQs finest material. I think that personal preference comes down to which albums “pop singles” you dislike the least. Both albums have a couple of jabs at “80s pop” and I often find myself really enjoying the pop songs from AYSC whereas I quite dislike the pop songs from Nomzamo.  But there are varying opinions on this.

Most of the best stuff from the Menel albums has been performed live by Nichols. Falling Apart at the Seams from AYSC being a particular highlight.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #711 on: September 01, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »
Anyone pick up the new CD release of Subterranea Live?  Mine came in the mail earlier this week and I’ve been spinning it ever since. What a fantastic performance!!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2023, 12:21:46 AM »
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline jammindude

« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2023, 12:51:16 AM »

???

The amount of times you’ve spun it since you’ve got it? The number of hours you’ve spent listening to it?

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #714 on: September 03, 2023, 01:48:28 AM »

???

The amount of times you’ve spun it since you’ve got it? The number of hours you’ve spent listening to it?

;)
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline romdrums

« Reply #715 on: September 05, 2023, 01:46:27 PM »
Bringing this over from Jamesman's roulette thread!

My first experience with them was Subterranea. I bought it not long after it came out, and I tried to get into it, but I couldn't.  It just didn't feel dangerous enough for me, particularly in the keyboard sounds.  It wasn't until I heard the title track to The Road of Bones nearly 20 years later that I gave them a second chance, and that album clicked with me in a major way.  I've gone back and purchased all of the studio albums, and I'm glad I did.  I still don't like the two Paul Menel albums, but everything else is great.  Subterranea makes more sense to me now, and I really do like a lot of the songs on it.  My favorite album of theirs is Resistance, followed by The Road of Bones, Ever and Frequency.  It's interesting to me that they've gotten heavier, darker and more progressive as they've gotten older.  I'd also say that they've become better musicians and songwriters as they've aged as well!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #716 on: September 05, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
My faves are Ever, Frequency, and Seventh House.

It's a tight call between Seventh House and Province for favorite song, they're both so damn good.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #717 on: September 05, 2023, 02:28:28 PM »
Subterranea took a very long time for me to get into, but the brand new Live release is really making it click big time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #718 on: September 05, 2023, 02:39:46 PM »
Interesting that both of you struggled with it, that album clicked hard for me on the first spin.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #719 on: September 05, 2023, 03:20:24 PM »
Interesting that both of you struggled with it, that album clicked hard for me on the first spin.

For me, I was just 20 in 1997 when it came out.  I think my biggest issue with it was that I didn't find any of it to be "Prog" at that time.  I was listening to a lot of Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead at the time, so this album felt a bit safe in comparison.  In particular, the mix and the sound choices felt safe and tame, especially in the keyboards. Martin Orford's basically playing presets, and the 90's organ patch he used was especially lacking in balls. Same with the guitar tone.  There was no weight to it.  Also, given their comparisons to Marillion, they came off as, "what if Fish came back after Holidays in Eden?" So, I gave up on the album and sold it back to the record store I found it at. 

I kept track of the band, though, and I think in 2017, I ended up finally giving them another chance and bought The Road of Bones, the 2-disc version of it.  I'd heard the title track a few years earlier and liked it, but it still took me a while to get around to buying the whole thing. That album basically clicked immediately with me. I ended up getting everything else, and was super stoked to hear A Missile in early 2019. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #720 on: September 05, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »
For me, it’s just that it was SO MUCH. I liked bits of it and I could tell that there was a lot going on, but it was a 100 minute concept album to digest from scratch.

That being said, I do think the live version is a lot punchier and in your face. It’s definitely adding to my enjoyment.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: September 05, 2023, 11:48:03 PM »
Still waiting for the delivery of my CDs of the Subterranea live.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same concert as the one on the BlueRay from the Archive Collection Artbook?

I still don't understand why they sat on that video recording for so long. It was worth the price of the artbook on it's own.

I am a huge fan of Subterranea....was a backer of the movie back in the day. Got the movie, got the soundtrack of the movie. Got the original live DVD and the later live recording o BlueRay.

Can't wait to get this live release of the album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #722 on: September 06, 2023, 12:25:57 AM »

Can anyone confirm that this is the same concert as the one on the BlueRay from the Archive Collection Artbook?

I still don't understand why they sat on that video recording for so long. It was worth the price of the artbook on it's own.

I am a huge fan of Subterranea....was a backer of the movie back in the day. Got the movie, got the soundtrack of the movie. Got the original live DVD and the later live recording o BlueRay.

It does say it’s from the IQ30 performance.

At this moment, I’m chilling in bed before lights out and the CD is in my car, but I’ll repost tomorrow with an exact date.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #723 on: September 06, 2023, 06:03:40 AM »

https://www.discogs.com/release/21501214-IQ-The-Archive-Collection-2003-2017
This says it the BD is the concert from October 22, 2011.

https://www.discogs.com/release/28181944-IQ-Subterranea-Live-At-De-Boerderij-October-22-2011

The 2CD set released earlier this year appears to be the same concert.

Of course these are different than the 2CD and VHS/DVD sets they released in 2000, which were recorded in April 4, 1999.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2504482-IQ-Subterranea-The-Concert
https://www.discogs.com/release/2514627-IQ-Subterranea-The-Concert

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #724 on: October 27, 2023, 02:00:10 PM »
The band just posted an update, with Cookie saying that while they're rehearsing for the Xmas bash, they're also working on new material for the upcoming album.....

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #725 on: October 27, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »
The band just posted an update, with Cookie saying that while they're rehearsing for the Xmas bash, they're also working on new material for the upcoming album.....

:dangerwillrobinson:

I remember the days when waiting 3 years for an album was an ETERNITY!!! But somehow it seems hard to believe that it’s been almost 5 years since Resistance!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #726 on: October 27, 2023, 02:29:47 PM »
Right? That was a rough fucking 5 years too... thankful I got my Show of Resistance shirt to commemorate it. For the tour dates on the back it just says TWENTY TWENTY :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: October 28, 2023, 06:56:33 AM »
Feel like high time to get another IQ masterpiece

Online The Letter M

« Reply #728 on: October 28, 2023, 07:05:07 AM »
Ever since the gap between Frequency and The Road Of Bones, I've accepted a five year wait between IQ albums. Hopefully the next one is actually out before 2024 ends!

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2024, 06:29:33 PM »
IQ opened their show today with The Narrow Margin, closed it with Seventh House, and dropped a new song as well, Plinth.

I fucking hate that I'm so far away from their shows.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2024, 03:39:25 PM »
That is a sick setlist! Where are they touring?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2024, 04:20:28 PM »
They're doing a weekend series in England, two shows with completely different sets. Another different new track tonight, I'd say last night's set was better, but they pulled out Last Human Gateway as an encore tonight.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iq/2024/the-met-bury-england-63acae73.html

Offline jammindude

« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2024, 08:12:29 PM »
Love Human Nature!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #733 on: January 20, 2024, 09:02:28 PM »
And opening with Dark Matter in it's entirety is so epic.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #734 on: January 20, 2024, 09:33:14 PM »
And opening with Dark Matter in it's entirety is so epic.

Just noticed this is its 20th anniversary. I smell a special live release.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history