Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61759 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #560 on: May 22, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
I was a little surprised that neither epic from the new album was played.  I thought they would at least have got one or the other.   

I love For Another Lifetime, but I think trading that for Fallout would have made more sense.   Still though, what a great setlist!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #561 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
They actually cut a second encore. According to setlist, they played The Wake. Could be an error on setlist of course.

No matter, killer show. The sound was impeccable and I hope they release it in some form, just brilliant. Best band ever.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #562 on: May 22, 2020, 05:23:51 PM »
I need a fucking cigarette now.

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #563 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »
That was absolutely incredible! I'd never heard Last Human Gateway in full before, and it completely blew me away. The whole thing was stunning, but LHG was the peak for me personally.

It was pretty awesome to have the band in chat during the concert as well. I think I saw some of you wonderful folks there too. A magnificent evening that won't be forgotten soon.

Offline emtee

« Reply #564 on: May 23, 2020, 03:00:45 AM »
Awoke early Saturday and watched this on my big screen via the YT  app. Oh my God, I don't know if I have ever had so many tingling goosebump moments in my life. Wow. These guys make music that moves me deeply. Absolutely fantastic!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #565 on: May 23, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
So Frequency will be released on vinyl and the DVD live show...

https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/254-frequency-reissue

Offline jammindude

« Reply #566 on: May 23, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »

There another automatic purchase for this year.   :-\

Offline romdrums

« Reply #567 on: May 23, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »

There another automatic purchase for this year.   :-\

Sweet.  Wish I could pre-order now!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
Since they did such an amazing job with the 25th anniversary Ever package, I’m wondering if they’ll do something similar with Subterranea in 2022.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2020, 11:03:31 AM »
Since they did such an amazing job with the 25th anniversary Ever package, I’m wondering if they’ll do something similar with Subterranea in 2022.

If they decide to bust the live show out of retirement, I may have to make another long ass trip.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »

If they decide to bust the live show out of retirement, I may have to make another long ass trip.

I'm already pipe dreaming about the 40th anniversary show next year.   I have to realistically figure out if I can "bare bones" a 2-3 day trip just for the show....and then figure out if my wife will let me.   ::)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
Holy crap!  I just read about the venue and it only holds 400 people for a standing event.   REALLY??  I wonder if it's intentional to keep it that small.   The first night is already sold out, but I'm sure someone somewhere would have an extra.

Besides, I'm actually just poking around and pipe dreaming.  The chances of me actually going are slim to none.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #572 on: May 23, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
I've just noticed...The Road of Bones and Dark Matter have similar album covers. Same with Frequency and Resistance.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »
Spun Frequency today but funny thing...I've spun it before but couldn't get past the 1st track. I just didn't like it. Sounds very muddy, just a weird production. Today I went for my normal grocery shopping and errands and managed to listen to the whole album. Holy crap. I've been missing some good stuff. Still don't like the 1st track but the rest of the album is superb.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
That’s weird for me. Because that was literally the first IQ album I ever heard and the first track grabbed me immediately. I still think that intro is one of Peter‘s finest vocal moments ever. There are so many other songs where he sounds just a tad nasally and maybe a bit strained. But on the intro to that opening track he is just pure butter.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »
That’s weird for me. Because that was literally the first IQ album I ever heard and the first track grabbed me immediately. I still think that intro is one of Peter‘s finest vocal moments ever. There are so many other songs where he sounds just a tad nasally and maybe a bit strained. But on the intro to that opening track he is just pure butter.

It's more of the guitar sound. Peter's voice never really bothered me. But then on Track 2, the guitar sound is more pleasant, clearer and cleaner.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #576 on: May 23, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
Since jammindude brought up first exposure to IQ, I figured I'd share mine (though I'm not sure if I have in this thread before or not). Back when I was discovering various prog bands back in 2004/2005, I eventually found my way to Marillion and the 80's Neo-Prog Movement (after discovering Transatlantic by way of Dream Theater & MP). I didn't really latch on to Marillion right away, especially their latter-day H-Era stuff, but IQ really struck a chord with me, and their latest album, Dark Matter, was the first one I got, back in early 2006.

I remember LOVING this one to death. The opening track hooked me in right away, and the "Supper's Ready"-esque closing epic really sunk its teeth into my musical skin. Having become a fan of Gabriel-Era Genesis just a year or two prior, IQ was definitely more up my alley, and while they grew as a band, they definitely kept a signature sound that was undoubtedly their own, while still evoking the spirit of 70s prog.

After Dark Matter, I began working my way backward every couple of months in 2007 - The Seventh House, Subterranea, Ever - and then Tales and The Wake in 2008. It was a slow process for me to get their albums as I didn't have a LOT of income at the time, and there were a lot of other bands I was discovering, but I paced myself out getting into their back catalog before Frequency arrived, though I didn't get to picking that one up til about a year after its release.

Having digested most of their back catalog by the time I got Frequency, I was amped up to hear NEW IQ, but for one reason or another, it didn't grab me in the same ways that Seventh House or Dark Matter did, but when The Road Of Bones was released, I felt like the band had struck gold with me again. I guess I should go back and listen to Frequency and see how I feel about it now, especially with two more albums out after it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #577 on: May 23, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
Hmmmm...my exposure....

So I'd say we're talking about 1988 or so, and my bro, his friend and I had a decent background in prog classics (Yes, ELP, Genesis etc) and were just getting into Marillion. Through them we came across IQ, surprisingly enough the first album I heard of theirs was Are You Sitting Comfortably. It was good, I enjoyed it enough. We then started digging into their catalog and of course The Wake and Tales intrigued me more, but they still didn't have that death lock on me.

Go to a few years later, and my brother drops a copy of Ever on me. It was the first time in my life that I felt the singer was reading my mind or something, that feeling of loss throughout the album cut so deeply, and touched something I felt untouchable. I think I listened to nothing else for months after that (I think Brave broke the spell actually). Some time later my bro and his friend traveled to LA to Progfest to see IQ headline. There the band learned of a big Bay Area contingent of fans, and made a return visit just to play in San Jose, then went home.

The rest of course is history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #578 on: May 23, 2020, 08:00:36 PM »
So glad I was part of that.  Being next to you for that experience was the highlight of the weekend. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #579 on: May 23, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »
So glad I was part of that.  Being next to you for that experience was the highlight of the weekend.

Oh, that show was 25 years later. I'm talking the original Ever tour in '94

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #580 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
Oh I k owbut you slipped in Progstock and my nerd meter hit the high levels. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

« Reply #581 on: May 24, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »
Since we're talking about our introductions to IQ, here's mine.

When my family and I moved to Grand Rapids, MI back in 1992, my Dad and I discovered a record store called Vinyl Solution, that was probably the best record store I've ever experienced.  I discovered a lot of bands through them, and found a lot of really cool import CD singles and vinyl.  They had a pretty good prog section, with a quick write up on each band.  They had a cool write up about IQ and basically described them as, "what if Fish had rejoined Marillion?".  Anyway, I always kind of kept them in the back of my mind.  I was part of the ytsejam and Marillion mailing lists back then as well, and I remember there was a pretty big buzz about Subterranea, especially on the Marillion mailing list (I think it was Freaks?).  Anyway, I bought the album when it came out, and I wasn't really impressed.  For the subject matter, the music, in my opinion, didn't really feel as "dangerous" as the lyrics needed it to be.  My overall opinion is that it was poor attempt at ripping off The Lamb, and so I ended up exchanging it for something else.  They did stay on my radar, though, and so, when The Road of Bones came out, and I kept hearing how great the album was (and the sound samples I had heard really intrigued me), and I felt I wanted to give them another chance.  Other things took priority at the time, so I think I finally ended up buying The Road of Bones in 2018.  I wasn't sure of it at first, but I knew I liked it more than Subterranea, and I kept listening to it and liking more and more of it.  From there, I bought The Seventh House, and then Frequency, then Dark Matter, and then the Ever remaster.  And then, when Resistance came out, I was totally hooked.  Resistance has everything I want in a modern prog album.  It rocks, it's epic, it's dark, and they managed to find new wrinkles in their sound that I really enjoyed.  After that, and because of the IQ survivor (and this thread!), I ended up completing my studio album collection of theirs.  I really feel like they hit on their sound with their later material.  I'm generally not a huge fan of the early material, and I definitely do not think much of the Paul Menel albums, but Ever is fantastic, and everything from the Seventh House on is brilliant as well.  They've become one of my favorite bands in recent years.   
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
BUMP!!!

And now they have decided to release the concert that was streamed as a 2-CD limited edition release!!!

:panicattack:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/iq-to-release-a-show-of-resistance-live-album

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
Great idea, saw people suggesting it both on FB and on YouTube. I watched it and the video was borderline shit but the audio was fantastic.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2020, 02:28:51 PM »
I hope it doesn't sell out right away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
BUMP!!!

And now they have decided to release the concert that was streamed as a 2-CD limited edition release!!!

Preordered a copy as soon as I saw that....

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »
BUMP!!!

Preordered a copy as soon as I saw that....

+1  ;)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #587 on: July 30, 2020, 09:55:42 AM »
Some copies of A Show of Resistance for the US peeps. Just ordered mine  :metal

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/show-resistance-2cd

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #588 on: July 30, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »

Haha I ordered mine. It came and the CD somehow ended up skipping during Further Away, which is a bummer.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #589 on: July 30, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »

Haha I ordered mine. It came and the CD somehow ended up skipping during Further Away, which is a bummer.

Ah shit. Don't tell me that. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Did you get a replacement from the band ?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #590 on: July 30, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »

Ah shit. Don't tell me that. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Did you get a replacement from the band ?

I haven't yet.

But, since this is being released in the US now. Way after the fact, I think I'll buy it again.

I also bought From The Outside In, which is a great Blu-ray. I had to buy it again, because mine ended up with a scratch in the center of the disc, it isn't readable anymore.

Offline emtee

« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »
I think I can officially proclaim that IQ is now my favorite band. The trio of Frequency, The Road Of Bones and Resistance are truly amazing albums that manage to connect with me on an unexplainable level.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
I think I can officially proclaim that IQ is now my favorite band. The trio of Frequency, The Road Of Bones and Resistance are truly amazing albums that manage to connect with me on an unexplainable level.

That's how I feel about Ever-Subterrenea-Seventh House-Dark Matter-Frequency-Road of Bones-Resistance.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #593 on: August 06, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »

That's how I feel about Ever-Subterrenea-Seventh House-Dark Matter-Frequency-Road of Bones-Resistance.

Not quite “all time”...but they have a solid place in my top 5 for the run lonestar mentioned.

(Not sure anyone could ever top the Rush/DT/Haken trifecta, but time will tell. They might end up in a tie with Haken)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
In fact, I know I’m in the minority on this, but I would take that run as far back as AYSC. I adore that album.