Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61733 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #490 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
Received Subterranea and Are You Sitting Comfortably? today, and was able to listen to the latter while doing errands on my lunch break.  There's some decent stuff in there, but on the whole, it's pretty weak, like a poor man's Holidays in Eden.  Some of Paul Menel's vocals lines are questionable, and there are some moments where it sounds like Paul Cook forgot his place in the song, because there are chord changes that he forgets to accent on the kit.  It's weird.  Tim Esau is probably the highlight of the album for me, because his bass playing is really good all the way through.  Other than that, it's easily my least favorite of the IQ records I have.  Still waiting to get Tales, The Wake, and Nomzamo.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #491 on: January 21, 2020, 05:18:24 PM »
I like AYSC quite a bit more than Nomzamo, but there are gems on both.   In fact, I would put AYSC alongside nearly any 80's Rush record (and AYSC was produced by Broon, so there is that).   

To my ears, War Heroes, Falling Apart at the Seams, and Wurensh are all EXCELLENT.   And Drive On and Sold on You are fun...if a bit on the pop side.     But I think that's AYSC's strong spot.   The poppier moments from AYSC are stronger than the poppier songs from Nomzamo.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #492 on: January 22, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »
Received Subterranea and Are You Sitting Comfortably? today, and was able to listen to the latter while doing errands on my lunch break.  There's some decent stuff in there, but on the whole, it's pretty weak, like a poor man's Holidays in Eden.  Some of Paul Menel's vocals lines are questionable, and there are some moments where it sounds like Paul Cook forgot his place in the song, because there are chord changes that he forgets to accent on the kit.  It's weird.  Tim Esau is probably the highlight of the album for me, because his bass playing is really good all the way through.  Other than that, it's easily my least favorite of the IQ records I have.  Still waiting to get Tales, The Wake, and Nomzamo.

Also RE: Tales and The Wake...I hope you got the new remasters, because it helps sonically.   But I initially had a bit of a tough time with them at first because the recording is just so dated.     But Tales *especially* to me sounds like the album Genesis would have made as a follow up to Lamb if PG had never left.   So I try to put my mind in the headspace of the sounds and recording equipment of that time period.    Because jumping from the lush and beautiful production of the last several IQ albums back to something that was done in the 80's (and sounds like it was recorded in the 70s) is a really big shock. 

But after I got past all that, I found two very amazing long lost neo-prog classics.   

In fact, if you picked up the most recent version of The Wake, it comes with a modern day live performance on a bonus disc that might be easier to get into from a sonic standpoint. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
I did get the remastered versions.  Looking forward to checking those out!

Semi-hot take here, but in my opinion, I think IQ is better without Martin Orford on keys.  I know it was a big shock when he left during the sessions for Frequency, but I think Mark Westworth and especially Neil Durant have done a better job in terms of parts they've played and sounds they've used within the band. Dark Matter is really the only album where I like Orford's contributions.  The 90's albums in particular really suffer, in my opinion, due to his using mostly stock presets, and kinda lame ones at that.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
Finally got The Wake and Tales From the Lush Attic yesterday.  Listening to both this morning.  Dig 'em both, and I can understand why they get the love they do.  Definitely feel more like missing Genesis albums than anything Fish-era Marillion was putting out at the time.  I'm looking forward to more listens.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #495 on: January 29, 2020, 04:19:09 AM »
Did you get the remix of Tales From The Lush Attic? Or the original mix?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline romdrums

« Reply #496 on: January 29, 2020, 06:42:25 AM »

I got the remaster.  Mike Holmes sure did an impressive job on it!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #497 on: January 29, 2020, 10:09:49 AM »

I got the remaster.  Mike Holmes sure did an impressive job on it!

I always liked the raw sound of the original, but yes, the remaster sounds amazing too! I've been looking for that remixed version on vinyl for ages now... just too expensive.

The whole album is very under appreciated in my opinion. The Last Human Gateway is a masterpiece.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
Just found a used copy of the 2-disc Forever Live on EBay for 18GBP.    Most of them are going for 100 USD, so finding one that translated to about $20 was a huge score, and I couldn't click "buy it now" fast enough.   I should get it before the end of the month. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
So I've completed my studio album catalog of IQ, and it has been fun exploring all of their music.  Maybe it's because of when I became a fan, but I find myself digging the newer stuff more than their older material.  For instance, I like The Wake, but the drum sound makes it really, really tough to listen to.  In all honesty, the band really didn't get a great sounding album until they recorded Ever.  But there's some great songs sprinkled throughout their catalog, and I think they're one of the few prog bands who can consistently write good epics.  I think they've become better musicians and a better band as they've gotten older, which is something you can't say about most bands.  If I were to rank their albums, it would look something like this for me:

1. Resistance
2. Dark Matter
3. The Road of Bones
4. Frequency
5. Ever
6. The Seventh House
7. Tales from the Lush Attic
8. Subterranea
9. The Wake
10. Nomzamo
11. Are You Sitting Comfortably?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:31:22 AM by romdrums »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #500 on: February 04, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
Did someone mention RANKING?? ?? ??

Still getting to know some of these, so I full expect the order to shuffle consistently the more I listen to the albums.  But right now:

1. Ever
2. Road of Bones
3. Frequency
4. Resistance
5. The Seventh House
6. Tales From the Lush Attic
7. Dark Matter
8. Subterrenea
9. Are You Sitting Comfortably?
10. The Wake
11. Nomzamo

I know I'm repeating myself, but I find myself enjoying AYSC more and more.  That one may end up climbing the list.   

EDIT- PS, you missed Seventh House on your list rommy....unless you haven't heard it yet?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #501 on: February 04, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »
BTW...I couldn't agree more about the drum sound on The Wake.    Still love the album, but that drum sound makes it a very difficult listen.   I prefer the live version at this point.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #502 on: February 04, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »

EDIT- PS, you missed Seventh House on your list rommy....unless you haven't heard it yet?

D'oh!  Fixed that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »
By the way, for anyone interested, I was curiously hunting around for a copy of the Subterrenea movie on DVD...and discovered that it's currently streaming FREE on Amazon Prime.   

It's actually supposed to be not very good, but given my current state of IQ fandom, I can't resist giving it whirl while I'm taking some time off from work and the wife has gone shopping.    It stars William Katt (of Greatest American Hero fame) and Bug Hall (who played Alfalfa in The Little Rascals movie in the 90s) in the title role. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
By the way, for anyone interested, I was curiously hunting around for a copy of the Subterrenea movie on DVD...and discovered that it's currently streaming FREE on Amazon Prime.   

It's actually supposed to be not very good, but given my current state of IQ fandom, I can't resist giving it whirl while I'm taking some time off from work and the wife has gone shopping.    It stars William Katt (of Greatest American Hero fame) and Bug Hall (who played Alfalfa in The Little Rascals movie in the 90s) in the title role.

I enjoyed it. And the Soundtrack is nice being done by Michael Holmes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »
It's too late to add it to "The Cup" now...but I am shocked to hear an exclusive IQ song "In This Wilderness" over the ending credits.  REALLY COOL SONG.   Now I suppose I have to break down and get the soundtrack.   

As far as the movie goes...  It's amazing what you can pick up when you go in expecting a really bad movie.   It forces you to immediately start looking for the things you do like about it.   Much of the acting was very well done.   The whole movie had that feeling of: "I'll bet this looked really great on the page."    Some lines of dialog struck me as being very good.  Even the interactions between actors carried a surprising amount of emotion and connection, but I couldn't get over the feeling that I was seeing a really decent short story that had been turned into a passable visual representation of that short story by people who were fairly inexperienced at making A MOVIE.   

Of course, the music was excellent.   Which really made me want to get the soundtrack ASAP.   But I don't see myself revisiting the movie in the near future....but I wouldn't say I would never watch it again either.     I enjoyed it.   

For those who have never heard In This Wilderness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZCkK6bbS_I

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
Just found a used copy of the 2-disc Forever Live on EBay for 18GBP.    Most of them are going for 100 USD, so finding one that translated to about $20 was a huge score, and I couldn't click "buy it now" fast enough.   I should get it before the end of the month. 

Killer, killer live album....

And goddammit you guys are gonna make me rank these...that's like ranking my kids...(I know I only have one, but you get what I mean..)

Anyhoo...

1- Seventh House
2- Ever
3- Frequency
4- Subterrenea
5- Resistance (may climb higher, but that's where it's at for now)
6- The Wake
7- The Road of Bones
8- Tales from the Lush Attic
9- Nomzamo
10- Dark Matter
11- Are You Sitting Comfortably

That's off the cuff, so don't call me out if I contradict it later. :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #507 on: February 05, 2020, 01:33:25 AM »
I haven't heard all of them, but I'm in the mood, so my hastily-assembled ranking is thus:

1. Subterranea
2. Frequency
3. The Seventh House
4. Resistance
5. The Road of Bones
6. Ever
7. Nomzamo

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2020, 05:44:49 AM »
Bought Dark Matter today. Listening now.

UPDATE: Giving it a second spin already. Utterly magnificent, as expected from these masters! Red Dust Shadow is so hauntingly wonderful!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:30:34 PM by RoeDent »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #509 on: April 06, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »
Love Red Dust Shadow.   

The only thing that brings Dark Matter down just slightly for me is that Harvest of Souls wasn't as amazing as I hoped it might be.  There are parts of it I really like, but it's my least favorite of all their epics so far.   And Born Brilliant is just OK as well.   The first three songs are wonderful.   

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #510 on: April 08, 2020, 02:47:44 AM »
Harvest of Souls clicked with me pretty quickly, while I have yet to fully grasp either The Great Spirit Way or Fallout. I don't know what it is about them that's eluded me so far, but they still feel like a struggle to get through.

Offline emtee

« Reply #511 on: April 08, 2020, 06:23:56 AM »
Fallout is almost spiritually-level greatness for me.

Also--hard for me to reach this realization but the trio of Frequency, TRoB
& Resistance equals the trio of DsotM, WYWH & Animals. I never thought
I would say that because they have been my favorite trio forever.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #512 on: April 08, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Hey, go check out IQ's FB page, they're doing a giveaway of extra stock from the GEP wharehouse.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #513 on: April 08, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
Hey, go check out IQ's FB page, they're doing a giveaway of extra stock from the GEP wharehouse.

Saw that but they were already like 100 replies on the comments so I think the chances of getting something are slim.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #514 on: April 09, 2020, 01:28:24 AM »
Harvest of Souls clicked with me pretty quickly, while I have yet to fully grasp either The Great Spirit Way or Fallout. I don't know what it is about them that's eluded me so far, but they still feel like a struggle to get through.

The whole Resistance is not that easy to get into. It's heavier, darker not as polished, and the melodies are not quite as catchy as on the previous albums. I don't mean that in a bad way. Resistance is a fantastic album and the two 20 min songs are beautiful once you get into them!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #515 on: May 15, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Resistance has been a slow grower for me. But Fallout is really hitting me today at work.

They often try to get a Supper’s Ready vibe in many of their pieces. But with Fallout, they are channeling Awaken, and I love it!

Offline emtee

« Reply #516 on: May 15, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
Resistance has been a slow grower for me. But Fallout is really hitting me today at work.

They often try to get a Supper’s Ready vibe in many of their pieces. But with Fallout, they are channeling Awaken, and I love it!

Amazingly moving song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #517 on: May 18, 2020, 08:41:53 AM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #518 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:18 AM »
Came here to share the news, with a Q&A with the band. So stoked!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #519 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
I wonder what platform they'll use.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #520 on: May 19, 2020, 06:26:23 AM »
I hope this concert will have good sound & video quality. I'm very much looking forward to this!

Also in the Q&A I'm gonna ask them again when they'll finally rerelease Frequency on vinyl :biggrin: I asked Michael Holmes over one year ago in Reichenbach and he said that they actually planned to do that "this year" (so last year).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #521 on: May 19, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »
My math says 20:00 GMT is 1:00PM Pacific time??   

To tell you the truth, when I first read this, I thought it was going to be an actual live show.  Reading it again I see it's going to be a broadcast of a Resistance show that was filmed in Germany.  Which is still really awesome.   

One of the things I would like to ask if given the chance is if they are ever going to re-release several out of print items.   I'm a newer fan, and I'm finding out about all kinds of things that I could have gotten my hands on when they were new, but are long gone now.    The Subterranea show in particular would be a neat thing to re-release IMO.   I watched the entire thing on YT once, but having a DVD or BluRay would be awesome.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #522 on: May 19, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
A re-issue of Frequency would be nice as well.  I have a digital copy, but that's the only album I don't have on CD.  I've got all of the other studio albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #523 on: May 19, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
A re-issue of Frequency would be nice as well.  I have a digital copy, but that's the only album I don't have on CD.  I've got all of the other studio albums.

I’ve seriously considered paying out the nose for that Frequency Tour CD I saw once. 2 CDs of outtakes and live tracks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #524 on: May 19, 2020, 12:14:29 PM »
I checked the set for the show they're steaming a whole back, frikkin ridiculously good. Really wish I had gotten something that epic when I saw them instead of the Ever anniversary show, mostly because the only other time I saw them was on the actual ever tour lol