Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61748 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Was busy replacing my broken monitor yesterday and forgot to listen, I'm on Rise now and loving it already :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Ok, now that it's out there....song ranking time!!!

1- Rise-Stay Down-Alampandria
2- Fallout
3- Shallow Bay
4- Great Spirit Way
5- For Another Lifetime
6- A Missile
7- Perfect Space
8- Fire and Security
9- If Anything

To be dead honest though, there are no skippable songs here.

Funny thing about the Spotify, it's showing up on my phone but not my computer Spotify. Weird.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »
Now I really want the CD to get here.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2019, 03:33:14 AM »
I got a mail that my parcel was sent from a certain MASCOT-PROVOGUE B.V. - Parcel was sent from the Netherlands and it says nothing about what's inside. I really can't place this :D Is this from the IQ shop? Did you guys get this as well?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »
I got a mail that my parcel was sent from a certain MASCOT-PROVOGUE B.V. - Parcel was sent from the Netherlands and it says nothing about what's inside. I really can't place this :D Is this from the IQ shop? Did you guys get this as well?

I think that's from Mascot Records...Did you order the Flying Colors album?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:01:57 PM by goo-goo »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
Went home for lunch today and checked my mailbox, and there was something from the UK with a Giant Electric Pea sticker on it.  Lo and behold there's my copy of Resistance.  Happy Birthday to me!  Listening right now.  There's a lot to digest but I like what I'm hearing so far.  First impression, this is the album I had hoped Marillion's F E A R would have been.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »

To be dead honest though, there are no skippable songs here.

Been listening to this album all day at work today and I agree with this sentiment. Album flows flawlessly.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
Pre-ordered Aug 10th....still nothing.  (Seattle area)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
Pre-ordered Aug 10th....still nothing.  (Seattle area)

Wow... You're probably not gonna like this, but I ordered the 25th and received mine Saturday

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
I'm a casual IQ fan, have 3 albums, don't really listen to them that much.
But I am streaming the new one on Spotify and it's pretty bloody good so far.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #430 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2019, 03:50:09 PM »
Really digging this so far.  The epics are truly epic.  Fallout especially is brilliant from start to finish. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #432 on: October 02, 2019, 06:25:52 AM »
My Resistance CD arrived this morning!  :D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #433 on: October 02, 2019, 06:55:29 AM »
Really liked it on first listen - it captured me more than Road of Bones did, that's for sure.  For some reason, the release date on Amazon.ca is listed as October 4th - at $26!  :sad:).  Hoping that iTunes has it then as well.  Not sure I want to pay double just for a physical copy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:09 AM »
Fallout sounds like a Marillion song just the way it is structured.

The soloing has been top notch on this one. They seem to be very carefully constructed and most of them have a nice buildup.

The thing about Road of Bones for me was that the title tracks was so fucking amazing that I didn't really give the rest of the album a chance. I must of played that song on repeat like 100 times. The mood, the buildup, the lyrics, even the mix...it's just a perfect song for me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »
Fallout sounds like a Marillion song just the way it is structured.

I think it's better structured than ANY Marillion 10 min plus song  ;D (except Ocean Cloud).
Marillion's longer songs always loose focus in my opinion. They never have any leitmotifs etc., they are just composed of independent shorter songs glued together. IQ on the other hand definitely know how to structure a long track.

The thing about Road of Bones for me was that the title tracks was so fucking amazing that I didn't really give the rest of the album a chance. I must of played that song on repeat like 100 times. The mood, the buildup, the lyrics, even the mix...it's just a perfect song for me.

I absolutely agree on the title track.

But... dude. Without Walls???

Offline romdrums

« Reply #436 on: October 02, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
This album gets better with each listen.  This might end up being my favorite of theirs.  The second disc is perfection.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 02, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
Only listened twice, the first CD is awesome and could be as strong as The Road of Bones for me, which is my favourite from the band. Second CD didn't grab me so far, there are good moments but I feel like my attention is slipping at that point. Perhaps I should listen to CD2 separately in the coming days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #438 on: October 02, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
Holy cow, this sounds HUGE! Those keyboards, man! I'm only on Stay Down and I'm utterly blown away! And Peter Nicholls sounds incredible!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #439 on: October 02, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
Only listened twice, the first CD is awesome and could be as strong as The Road of Bones for me, which is my favourite from the band. Second CD didn't grab me so far, there are good moments but I feel like my attention is slipping at that point. Perhaps I should listen to CD2 separately in the coming days.

I found it best to think of it as two separate albums, they both have a very different feel and together are just a massive amount to assimilate in one sitting.

Holy cow, this sounds HUGE! Those keyboards, man! I'm only on Stay Down and I'm utterly blown away! And Peter Nicholls sounds incredible!

Stay Down is fucking stunning...the atmosphere they create in the transition from the slow period to the heavy one is pure perfection.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
If Anything is a nice surprise. Love that build up to the end.

Onto the 2nd disc. Just took a break as thr 2nd disc has a lot to digest in the epics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
Yeah, there is definitely a difference in atmosphere between the two discs. Was also pleasantly surprised by the segues between the Disc 2 tracks.

I very often take a break between discs when I'm listening to a double album. Usually only 5 minutes or so, but still a chance to stretch the legs and what-have-you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #442 on: October 03, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
It finally arrived today. But it’s late and I’m watching the Seahawks game. My first listen will be in the car on the morning commute.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2019, 11:28:58 PM »
I listened to the first three tracks as I was ripping it to my computer. Freakin love it so far.

I also ordered the 2 PL albums, so I own the entire IQ catalog now. The only thing I don’t own (and can’t even find) is “Seven Stories into ‘98” which I guess is the re-recorded versions of the original demo tape. And thanks to the bonus material on the new Ever re-release I actually have those original songs from the demo tape.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #444 on: October 04, 2019, 12:38:36 AM »
I listened to the first three tracks as I was ripping it to my computer. Freakin love it so far.

I'll hold off on trusting your opinion. You were listening to it right after seeing the Rams choke that field goal and you were probably in a heightened state of elation.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #445 on: October 04, 2019, 04:58:03 AM »
FFS... still not on iTunes Canada. >:(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #446 on: October 04, 2019, 06:54:57 AM »
By the way, in case anyone here ordered the vinyl, I wrote a mail to Giant Electric Pea and got this answer:

Because we had to put back the release date of the album we lost our slot for the vinyl pressing. It's now being pressed mid-October and we will get it out to you as soon as we receive the copies.

Kind regards

I know it's not anyone's fault. But a mail with this information (without having to ask) would have been nice.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #447 on: October 04, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »

I'll hold off on trusting your opinion. You were listening to it right after seeing the Rams choke that field goal and you were probably in a heightened state of elation.

I was too busy having a heart attack after that game. Heck...I needed a drink just to calm my nerves! :rollin

But I’ve been listening to it today at work, and it’s pretty awesome! For Another Lifetime is....really weird. But I mean that in a good way.

As a side note. I ripped all my new CDs to my library and loaded them on my player, and because it lists the albums alphabetically I decided to start with Are You Sitting Comfortably. Maybe it was just my low expectations, but I enjoyed that album FAR more than I thought I would!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #448 on: October 04, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the Menel albums, though the pop edge sneaking into the music makes some of it very skippable. As I've said previously, there are some quite strong songs on those albums....Human Nature, War Heroes, Wurensh, Nomzamo are all excellent songs, and Common Ground will always be a top ten IQ song for me. That one is really something special, and one I was fortunate enough to see live back in '94.

Edit: Just checked Setlist FM for the set of that San Jose show way back when...I'd give my left fucking nut to go back and see that one again with my current IQ passion instead of the fledgling love I had then....

The Darkest Hour
It All Stops Here
Widow's Peak
Fading Senses
Out of Nowhere
Awake and Nervous
The Last Human Gateway
(middle section)
Tea For Two
No Love Lost
Leap of Faith
Common Ground
Human Nature
Headlong
The Last Human Gateway
(Ending)
The Wake

Fucking most of TLHG and Headlong....be a cold day in hell that you'll see both of those in the same set these days.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:06:44 AM by lonestar »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #449 on: October 05, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
Musical bliss From 10:51 timestamp and onward (where the heavy synth starts) on From Another Lifetime...beautiful passage and  soloing.  The soloing is the highlight of this album. Very exquisite well constructed guitar solos throughout the album.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #450 on: October 05, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
Musical bliss From 10:51 timestamp and onward (where the heavy synth starts) on From Another Lifetime...beautiful passage and  soloing.  The soloing is the highlight of this album. Very exquisite well constructed guitar solos throughout the album.

Yeah, that section seriously slays, as does the build up to it.

Offline majo

« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
3 spins done, it's stellar a getting better with each play  :tup

10 days later: Love it. Already surpassed the Opeth as TAOTY for me. Brilliant, just brilliant.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:30:14 AM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline emtee

« Reply #452 on: October 16, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
More detailed post later from my laptop vs. this puny phone.
Amazing album.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #453 on: October 16, 2019, 07:27:22 AM »
Resistance is still in near daily rotation for me.  Neil Durant's keyboard work is the thing impressing me the most at this time.  I love his sounds, and his playing is top notch.  It seems to me he was given a lot of room to contribute, especially on the epics, and he comes through in shining colors.  Paul Cook's drumming is impressing me, as well. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #454 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
Might be Paul's best album, he's just insane throughout it.