Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61865 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
I'd be surprised if that was the case. We're still two weeks from the release day.

That being said, we're only 2 weeks away from the release day. Kinda weird how Flying Colors' album comes out a week later and we've had 3 singles released from that, and yet no official song release from IQ yet.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #386 on: September 15, 2019, 03:06:40 AM »
I love that they just haven't released anything yet  :biggrin: 
I pre-ordered the limited 3 colored LP version.

Right, now I am listening to Subterranea. I have never gotten into this album. I like a few songs on the album, and I absolutely love the title track. But other than that... I don't know. What do you guys think about this one?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #387 on: September 15, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
Absolutely love Subterranea. One of my favourites.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #388 on: September 15, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
Subterranea definitely took the longest to digest. In fact, even after a dozen or so listens, I’m still processing it. But ya, it’s pretty awesome.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #389 on: September 16, 2019, 07:02:38 AM »
I listened to the whole thing twice yesterday. There is still a lot to digest and I'm looking forward to spinning it more. I am sure it will click with me. It's one of those albums I can't get into yet, but I know I will eventually. Do you know that feeling? :D I had it with all Tool albums (except Fear Inoculum).

Also, I'm desperately looking for the vinyl version of Subterranea.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
We finally have lengths, as per this website: https://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_18269.html

DISC 1 (49:29)
1. A Missile - 6:40
2. Rise - 6:49
3. Stay Down - 7:53
4. Alampandria - 3:49
5. Shallow Bay - 6:21
6. If Anything - 2:35
7. For Another Lifetime - 15:22

DISC 2 (57:19)
1. The Great Spirit Way - 22:36
2. Fire and Security - 5:25
3. Perfect Space - 8:33
4. Fallout - 20:45

TOTAL: 106:48

Offline romdrums

« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »
Frequency and Dark Matter have been in heavy rotation for me lately.  Frequency in particular has really grown on me.   Stronger Than Friction and The Province of the King have become two of my favorite songs in IQ's catalog, and I really enjoy Andy Edwards' drumming and Mark Westworth's keyboard work.

Speaking of Frequency, why isn't that album available on their website?  It seems everything else is there but that record.  I really like it, but I don't want to break the bank to get a copy of it.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #392 on: September 22, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »
Something I'm very concerned by: Amazon UK has the release date as October 11th. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resistance-Iq/dp/B07W5CD93S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=iq+resistance&qid=1569152583&s=music&sr=1-1 Why does this never go smoothly anymore? It's so so stressful! Anyone in their right mind expects the album on the day the band say it is released.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 22, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »
Saw IQ live yesterday..... awesome show with 5 new songs(had only heard 1 before but loved the new material.

Bought the CD at the merch stand together with a tshirt.

Had such a blast at the front, just by Peter Nicholls who at one time leaned down and grabbed my hand as he sang looking directly at me..... very strong moment

He also handed me his setlist after the show.

Got some photos from the show....

https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/1916781235124602/?ref=bookmarks

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
Way too cool....i really wish could see them again. i

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2019, 11:00:01 AM »

They will sureley play a bunch of live dates next year. Guessing there will be dates in U.S.A and / or Canada... although since they al have dayjobs it woun't be a full tour so anyone who wants to see them will have to be prepared to travel.

Well worth it in my opinion... although I am lucky and they played my hometown both in 2017 and 2019.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »
Very cool!  I hope, like RJ to see them again in the States.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »
I'd imagine their visa is still good from Progstock....and I know they enjoy playing the Canadian shows. I highly doubt they'll ever get to my side again though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »

They will sureley play a bunch of live dates next year. Guessing there will be dates in U.S.A and / or Canada... although since they al have dayjobs it woun't be a full tour so anyone who wants to see them will have to be prepared to travel.

Well worth it in my opinion... although I am lucky and they played my hometown both in 2017 and 2019.

Depending on when, I'm willing to travel for them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »
Hey Goose, question for ya...did they have Resistance shirts at the show?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »

Yes 3 variants, one hoodie and two t-shirts.
Bought one with the burning globe on the front and IQ Resistance  written on the back.

You can see them here
https://www.facebook.com/409269459205375/posts/1812903778841929/

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2019, 02:57:59 AM »
Frequency and Dark Matter have been in heavy rotation for me lately.  Frequency in particular has really grown on me.   Stronger Than Friction and The Province of the King have become two of my favorite songs in IQ's catalog, and I really enjoy Andy Edwards' drumming and Mark Westworth's keyboard work.

Speaking of Frequency, why isn't that album available on their website?  It seems everything else is there but that record.  I really like it, but I don't want to break the bank to get a copy of it.

I think Frequency is very underrated. One of my favorite albums by IQ. Plus, I think THE PROVINCE is IQ's best song overall! That part beginning with "the phone rings - there's no one there" - amazing.

I asked Mike Holmes about a Frequency vinyl re-release last february. He said they plan to re-release it on vinyl this year! Maybe they'll release another CD version, too.
So I'm looking forward to two vinyl re-releases of two of the best prog albums of 2009: Big Big Train's The Underfall Yard and IQ's Frequency.

Anyway, here is a promo version of the album you can buy for 9 Euros plus shipping: https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/item/996685748
Unfortunately it has a cardboard sleeve only... But it's better than nothing if you want the CD in your collection :)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2019, 07:48:20 AM »
Ordered Resistance from the GEP store, as that appears to be my best chance of getting it close to release day.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »

Bought one with the burning globe on the front and IQ Resistance  written on the back.

You can see them here

Cool, time to bug the band to put them online...

Oh, and for those interested, here's my review of Resistance...
http://ladyobscure.com/albums/iq-resistance/

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »

You can see them here

Cool, time to bug the band to put them online...

Oh, and for those interested, here's my review of Resistance...
http://ladyobscure.com/albums/iq-resistance/

Linked to by IQ just now on FB....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Yeah, I tagged half the band in my post so I figured that was coming. Still awesome though.... Probably second to when I got a personal thank you from Fish for my Feast of Consequences review.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »

I think Frequency is very underrated. One of my favorite albums by IQ. Plus, I think THE PROVINCE is IQ's best song overall! That part beginning with "the phone rings - there's no one there" - amazing.

I asked Mike Holmes about a Frequency vinyl re-release last february. He said they plan to re-release it on vinyl this year! Maybe they'll release another CD version, too.
So I'm looking forward to two vinyl re-releases of two of the best prog albums of 2009: Big Big Train's The Underfall Yard and IQ's Frequency.

Anyway, here is a promo version of the album you can buy for 9 Euros plus shipping: https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/item/996685748
Unfortunately it has a cardboard sleeve only... But it's better than nothing if you want the CD in your collection :)

That honor belongs to Dark Matter.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #407 on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »
Reviews are pretty thin on the ground from the major prog news outlets, considering the album is just 2 days away. Considering this is one of *the* major prog releases of 2019, it's surprising.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #408 on: September 25, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Reviews are pretty thin on the ground from the major prog news outlets, considering the album is just 2 days away. Considering this is one of *the* major prog releases of 2019, it's surprising.
We'll see about the release. IQ posted yesterday that there was a major fuck up on the pressing of disc one, so they had to repress them all. Some pre orders will get out, but other than that they're on hold. Hopefully they'll release it to Spotify etc. so that people can at least hear it in its entirety.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »
Yeah, I should think that it wouldn't affect streaming mediums or digital downloads
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2019, 11:58:21 AM »
It feels wrong, but I might have to at least preview it on streaming. September 27th is the day we've been looking forward to for 5 years. So it's disappointing that we won't be getting our discs tomorrow, even though I am very glad they've explained why the delay has happened. So we are left in limbo for the time being.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »

I don't know what happened, but I just got the files today to review it for Sonic Perspectives. Can't wait to listen to it tomorrow (which is also the release date)!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #412 on: September 27, 2019, 02:10:06 AM »

I don't know what happened, but I just got the files today to review it for Sonic Perspectives. Can't wait to listen to it tomorrow (which is also the release date)!

Whether the CD pressing issues affected some review copies as well, idk. Which makes me wonder if the reviewers (such as our very own lonestar) got one of the defected copies for their review.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: September 27, 2019, 04:57:56 AM »
Goddamn... it's not on Spotify (Canada) this morning.   >:(

Or iTunes  >:( :censored
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 27, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »
Goddamn... it's not on Spotify (Canada) this morning.   >:(

Or iTunes  >:( :censored

Not on Yandex.Music either, which I use. :-*

Oh well, guess I'll listen to the new Opeth then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #415 on: September 27, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
You'd think the digital versions would be unaffected, but I guess they want to release everything at the same time. So we're stuck in limbo. Today was supposed to be the day. But instead we are disappointed.

Meanwhile The Prog Report aren't exactly heaping glowing praise on the album, contrary to other reviews. And yet, they choose to further prove their Morse/Portnoy fanboyism by heaping blind praise on the new Flying Colors. It really feels like The Prog Report is a Morse promo tool rather than an unbiased source for news across the entire prog spectrum.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #416 on: September 27, 2019, 04:17:10 PM »
Their “review” of the Sons Of Apollo album was ridiculous, it was like Mike Portnoy wrote it himself.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #417 on: September 28, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
IQ's Resistance is available on Google Play so it may be out there in other digital outlets.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #418 on: September 28, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Got my copy in the mail today in San Francisco  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2019, 08:18:08 AM »
Got my copy in the mail today in San Francisco  :metal

Clean (re-pressing) copy?

And I see it's up on Spotify now.  :caffeine: