Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61740 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
I have to admit that they do have a bit of a "schtick".     I absolutely adore their sound, so I have no complaints.   But they don't exactly venture outside the lines very much.     Maybe they've gradually introduced a bit more of a "metal" angle with Road of Bones...but the formula is the same. 

I saw an interview with Peter from the Frequency days, and he addressed the idea that they were often compared to Genesis.   I liked his answer.   He said that with the first album, he could definitely see it.   But from The Wake on, they started doing more of their own thing.    I agree with that.    They don't strike me as "sounding like Genesis" as much as they sound more like "what Genesis may have become if Peter and Steve had never left" in my imagination.     Even on Road of Bones, I hear keyboard parts that sound so much like Banks, that it's eerie.   If you add in that Mike Holmes (to my ears) sounds a lot like Hackett, and that Peter does not sound unlike Peter Gabriel...it's easy for me to imagine that this is the Genesis from a parallel universe, and that Tales from the Lush Attic was the follow up to Lamb, and things just evolved from there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »
I am very much enjoying The Wrong Side of Weird and The Seventh House. I like the other tracks too, but those are definitely the standouts for me at this early stage.

As might be expected, I'm on a big IQ kick atm, which I'm currently feeding by spinning Subterranea. Goodness me, this band is incredible.

It's kind of dawned on me how I haven't got too many of these to get now. Dark Matter is the only non-80s album I don't yet have. Idk if I'm doing this the wrong way, and whether the 80s albums will sound "amateurish" by comparison. And the Menel albums is another issue all together. I definitely want to get Nomzamo at some point, as I love No Love Lost. But it's not high-priority right now.

Update (9:43pm): It's beginning to occur to me that one of IQ's traits seems to be the song that ends by gradually calming down. See: The Darkest Hour, The Narrow Margin, The Province, Until the End. There's a climax, and then the song gradually winds down, reducing in instrumentation until there is just a piano or a guitar left.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:46:29 PM by RoeDent »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »
September 27th is the release date for Resistance, presale is on!!!! Either double CD or triple red or black vinyl.

:panicattack:

https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3ZwAyCEyJTAr-1ATm4PNmtG4sqwaCLlV_qiZxZcI0BmPj8EtlqJKhVtlk

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2019, 06:37:57 AM »
Gonna wait for my paycheck for this month and then pre-order the double CD. I wish they had a T-shirt with the album art too, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
I really wish they had some kind of mega super deluxe version with CD/Vinyl/T-shirt/etc...etc.    I guess I've gotten spoiled. 

But I'm just happy it's coming. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
I really wish they had some kind of mega super deluxe version with CD/Vinyl/T-shirt/etc...etc.    I guess I've gotten spoiled. 

But I'm just happy it's coming.

Nope, just a double album with two 20 minute epics....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
Awesome...What a week.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2019, 01:48:35 PM »
I'm wondering.... should I preorder or should I hope they have the album for sale at the concert in Stockholm on the 21st?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
I'm wondering.... should I preorder or should I hope they have the album for sale at the concert in Stockholm on the 21st?

Mike said on FB that they'd "most probably" have it on sale there.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: August 10, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »

Mike said on FB that they'd "most probably" have it on sale there.

Nice.... haven't seen that comment yet

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »
It's buried in the pre-sale post, I just happened to see it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2019, 05:47:52 PM »
Got a hold of a press copy.....brace yourselves for epic my friends  :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #362 on: September 01, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »

I hate you with a fiery passion.  ;)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »

What a teaser lol. Does it top Road of Bones?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »
After two spins I'd put it in the upper tier, still a ton to digest. I will say the first 5 tracks are all one suite, forming a 30ish minute song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »
After two spins I'd put it in the upper tier, still a ton to digest. I will say the first 5 tracks are all one suite, forming a 30ish minute song.

So on top of two 20-minute epics on disc two, there is a 30-minute suite on disc one as well?! Wow, what an epic album this is shaping up to be! Can't wait to read your review!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2019, 11:06:30 PM »

So on top of two 20-minute epics on disc two, there is a 30-minute suite on disc one as well?! Wow, what an epic album this is shaping up to be! Can't wait to read your review!

-Marc.

And disc one finishes with a 15 minute track. As I said, it's a ton to process. Of all of life's problems, too much new IQ music is the best to have ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2019, 11:17:40 PM »

-Marc.

And disc one finishes with a 15 minute track. As I said, it's a ton to process. Of all of life's problems, too much new IQ music is the best to have ;)

:lol Wow, that's a LOT of music! So each disc has at least 50 minutes of music, I gather? Given that their last studio album 5 years ago, getting nearly two hours of new music more than makes up for that time! Time to get my pre-order in very soon!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #368 on: September 02, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »
It's about 105 minutes. And I have to correct myself a bit...there are subtle breaks between tracks 2/3 and 4/5, but 6 runs into 7.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
It's about 105 minutes. And I have to correct myself a bit...there are subtle breaks between tracks 2/3 and 4/5, but 6 runs into 7.

So between that, and the other quote, it now sounds like Disc 1 is a 30 min "suite" (1-5) followed by a 20 min "suite" (6&7)?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2019, 08:59:54 AM »
I really wish I had the lyrics man  :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »
But it sounds like they should be treated as separate songs rather than as a single epic. Similar to Stronger Than Friction/One Fatal Mistake/Ryker Skies from Frequency. Different songs that just happen to segue into one another.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »
But it sounds like they should be treated as separate songs rather than as a single epic. Similar to Stronger Than Friction/One Fatal Mistake/Ryker Skies from Frequency. Different songs that just happen to segue into one another.

That seems more to be the case...gets me all excited when they do that. I'm sure there'll be leaks aplenty after the show on the 7th, they posted on FB that they'll have copies for sale.

Finally got a quiet listen in with my Grados(the others were on a long drive), I can fully attest that all three epics kick fucking ass. (For Another Lifetime, The Great Spirit Way and Fallout). I think TGSW is leading the way at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:39:07 PM by lonestar »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #373 on: September 02, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
Look gents, as I dig deeper and deeper into this thing, I've decided to stop giving hints and just admit that you will all be very, very happy with this album. It's IQ at the top of their game, and there's really no filler material. It's all fucking amazing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #374 on: September 02, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
Look gents, as I dig deeper and deeper into this thing, I've decided to stop giving hints and just admit that you will all be very, very happy with this album. It's IQ at the top of their game, and there's really no filler material. It's all fucking amazing.

I will finally be completing my collection. I ordered the two PL albums at the same time.   So I will have everything when the new one arrives.   Probably won't even crack the PL albums for awhile....but I still wanted them on the shelf.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #375 on: September 04, 2019, 02:53:35 AM »
I do want to go on record and say that Stay Down is one of the most exquisitely structured and beautiful tracks IQ has put out. I can't stop replaying that song, and I verge on ugly cry face every time. It's really perfect.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #376 on: September 07, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Wow...they busted out Ryker Skies for their album release show. Just a sick setlist...

Alampandria
From the Outside In
Sleepless Incidental
Sacred Sound
Shallow Bay
Stay Down
Ryker Skies
For Another Lifetime
The Road of Bones
A Missile
Until the End
Further Away
Encore:
Subterranea
Awake and Nervous

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #377 on: September 07, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
That is a damn good setlist. Awesome they played Ryker Skies, my favorite off of Frequency.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jammindude

« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »
Ending the main set with Further Away... :omg:  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2019, 02:06:38 AM »
I don't have Ever, sadly don't know why. That is the last IQ album I need.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
Not gonna lie, I kinda struggle with Further Away. I just listened to see if my mind might be changed on it for now, but to no avail. On Ever, I much prefer Darkest Hour and Fading Senses. And among songs of similar length (Wrong Side of Weird, Seventh House, The Province, etc.) , it's nowhere near the top for me.

And I have to point out...something happens to Peter Nicholls' voice between Ever and Subterranea. It sounds so much more mature and refined on the later albums, and it has continued to grow in strength in the albums since.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Yeah, but it's not even close to the drastic change in his voice between The Wake and Ever. There's so much maturity and growth in how he sounds there.

Online Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #382 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »
Just bought my tickets for the October 12th gig in Fontaneto, Italy!!! Can't wait...

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
I'm legitimately excited for this record.  Has anyone that pre-ordered received notice that they've shipped yet?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.