Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61853 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2018, 05:42:07 AM »
Listening to The Road of Bones (and this band) for the first time. Without Walls is pretty good and has some serious Ayreon vibes  :metal

If you're into heavier stuff....RoB is definitely their heaviest album.   Most of the rest of their stuff is like the lighter side of DT....in a VERY good way.

What really amazes me (and I may have said this before...I feel very strongly about it) is that I can't believe how much some of the ambience and mood of all their music makes me feel like this is where Genesis would have gone if Gabriel, Hackett, and Banks had become the primary force of the band moving forward.

If I recall correctly, Tony Banks actually WAS the primary force of the band moving forward.

I always thought of The Last Human Gateway as the greatest Genesis song that was not written by Genesis though. Nicholls sounds like Gabriel with a cold.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jammindude

« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
 Banks may have been a primary force in the band continuing. But I still have a tendency to point at Collins for steering them in the direction of “hit makers”.  There is still the dispute over whether or not Collins submitted In the Air Tonight  to the rest of the band. Collins insists that he did and that Banks turned it down. Banks insists that he never would’ve turned down that song. Who’s to say what really happened?

Totally agree on The Last Human Gateway.  Although, Gabriel sounds like he’s got a cold half the time on some of the early records so I honestly can’t tell the difference between he and Nicholls at all.  Maybe a little bit more nowadays.  You can really tell that Nicholls  took some voice lessons at some point. His early work is a tad shaky, and definitely sounds like it’s coming from his throat. His modern era stuff sounds much more professional and his lower register is just pure butter, and definitely sung properly.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline romdrums

« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »
Bump.

I bought Road of Bones earlier this year thanks to this thread and a few samples from Prog Magazine.  I'm happy to report this band finally clicked with me.   My only previous experience with IQ was over 20 years ago when I purchased Subterranea when that came out.  I remember being somewhat disappointed in that record at the time, and so I put off IQ as a band that wasn't for me.  Road of Bones has really clicked with me, so much so that I went out and bought The Seventh House about a week ago, and I"m really digging that one too.  Peter Nicholls is definitely an acquired taste as a vocalist, but I'm starting to come around.  Thinking about getting Ever, Dark Matter and Frequency next, and then giving Subterranea another chance.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
This makes me happy.  I can personally attest that Frequency is absolutely amazing.   Seventh House and Dark Matter are the only albums I don't own yet.   I'm anxious to get my hands on them soon.   

If you do get Ever...go to the bands website and pick up the new 30th Anniversary package.   Not really expensive and totally worth it.   Probably still my favorite album so far.   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »
The Seventh House just arrived in the mail today and I'm halfway through listening to it right now. 

The title track is just mind blowing!!!  :omg:

As of now, Dark Matter is the only Nichols album I don't own.  Are the 2 PL albums worth getting?   I heard a brief excerpt of AYSC (because I had heard it was produced by Broon) and I wasn't feeling it.   But I do tend to be a completist. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
Glad to see plenty of love for this band. I was very late to the party and discovered them while at mp.com.
Road Of Bones was my album of the year and is now in my top 10 of all time. Their last 2 albums are simply
stellar. They hit a sweet spot for me.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
I've ordered Ever. Just the standard album, not the recent 25th anniversary reissue. Looking forward to hearing it, my 4th IQ album after The Road of Bones, Frequency and Subterranea.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
I've ordered Ever. Just the standard album, not the recent 25th anniversary reissue. Looking forward to hearing it, my 4th IQ album after The Road of Bones, Frequency and Subterranea.

Ever is absolutely amazing! I think the brand new 30th anniversary edition is an incredible deal for the price they are asking, but any incarnation of that album is going to be incredible.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
The Seventh House just arrived in the mail today and I'm halfway through listening to it right now. 

The title track is just mind blowing!!!  :omg:

As of now, Dark Matter is the only Nichols album I don't own.  Are the 2 PL albums worth getting?   I heard a brief excerpt of AYSC (because I had heard it was produced by Broon) and I wasn't feeling it.   But I do tend to be a completist.

The two Menel albums have some high points, Common Ground and a few others are quite brilliant, but they do take a pop spin altogether that makes a good deal of the material quite skippable.

The Seventh House is my all time favorite song. The last six minutes are as close to musical perfection that there is, and I just love the concept surrounding the album (though it's a bit obscure as most of Nichols subjects are, he loves to make us dig deep).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:49 AM »
Cool that this thread is coming back to life! I couldn't believe what happened to me a few weeks back.

I flew to Birmingham to see Steely Dan (that concert was absolutely amazing). I walked through the huge lobby of that arena there to get some beer, and who do I run into??

I said: Mike? Mike Holmes? From IQ???
He replied: Yes, that's me!
And I said: No way, I can't believe I am meeting you here!
We had a very short chat and I said "see you at this year's Night Of The Prog!" which he found cool, and then we returned to our seats.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2019, 01:37:33 AM »
Cool that this thread is coming back to life! I couldn't believe what happened to me a few weeks back.

I flew to Birmingham to see Steely Dan (that concert was absolutely amazing). I walked through the huge lobby of that arena there to get some beer, and who do I run into??

We had a very short chat and I said "see you at this year's Night Of The Prog!" which he found cool, and then we returned to our seats.

Whoa! That's amazing! Should have asked him if Pulse was ever going to come out (his project with Nick D'Virgilio, Geoff Downes, and Tony Levin that producer/engineer Rob Aubrey had put together over 12 years ago). They released one song and nothing since then, and I've been wondering about it forever!!!

Ah well, back to IQ - has there been any news about their next album? Last I heard, from here at least, they were working on a new album, but I haven't seen any news lately.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Whoa! That's amazing! Should have asked him if Pulse was ever going to come out (his project with Nick D'Virgilio, Geoff Downes, and Tony Levin that producer/engineer Rob Aubrey had put together over 12 years ago). They released one song and nothing since then, and I've been wondering about it forever!!!

Ah well, back to IQ - has there been any news about their next album? Last I heard, from here at least, they were working on a new album, but I haven't seen any news lately.

-Marc.

Holy crap I forgot all about Pulse. I remember hearing that song and loving it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »

Very cool that you met him. Not at all surprised that you did at a Steely Dan gig, he seems to go to them all.
Met him one and a half years ago after an IQ show in Stockholm, then he had seen them 40ish times, now he is at over 50.... must be 53 or something.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »
Ever's just got here. It's 8:25pm local. Currently on the instrumental bit of Fading Senses.

UPDATE: Really good! Love the instrumental section at the end of Leap of Faith. Also wasn't expecting the seamless segue into Came Down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:04:29 PM by RoeDent »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »

-Marc.

I had no idea that such a project was ever in the works, but WOW what a lineup! Had I known about it, I would probably have asked him. But I will maybe meet him again at the Loreley, so maybe there I can ask :)

Very cool that you met him. Not at all surprised that you did at a Steely Dan gig, he seems to go to them all.
Met him one and a half years ago after an IQ show in Stockholm, then he had seen them 40ish times, now he is at over 50.... must be 53 or something.

Wow, so many times :O But he must fly over to the states sometimes, because Steely Dan haven't been on this side of the Atlantic for some time!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »
I just picked up Dark Matter last week, and of the four albums I now have (Seventh House, Dark Matter, Frequency, Road of Bones) it just might be my favorite so far.  Lots of energy and I really dig Martin Orford's keyboard work on this one.  Looking to pick up Ever and Subterranea next, and then Tales from the Lush Attic and The Wake.  Not sure about digging in to the Paul Menel albums. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:42 AM »
The Steely Dan count is 54 for him. He's such a cool 6,glad you got to run into him.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »
The Steely Dan count is 54 for him. He's such a cool 6,glad you got to run into him.

I've never heard anyone call someone a "cool 6" - what does that mean?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
I just realised that IQ are going to play at Uwe Treitinger's Art Rock Festival on 13th of April in Reichenbach, which is only a 1,5 hour drive from my/my parent's hometown - WHERE I WILL BE that weekend!
Huge coincidence, as I'm usually only home during the summer, Christmas and maybe some time during February. I hope my friend (I only have one friend who also likes IQ) can make it! But either way, I think I'll still go, even if I have to go alone. Still, together is always more fun.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
I picked up the Ever 2018 Remaster, and I dig it, but there's a certain immaturity in the songwriting that doesn't quite sit right with me.  I don't know how I can explain it better, but there are moments that sound like the band is trying to do things that are just beyond their capabilities and the execution isn't quite there.  Comparing it against their later albums like Dark Matter and The Road of Bones, I think they improved as musicians and as songwriters.  Overall, though, I'm glad I've taken a closer look into their discography and I look forward to getting their remaining albums.  Right now, I've got Ever, The Seventh House, Dark Matter, Frequency, and The Road of Bones.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
I’ve got everything except Dark Matter, and The Darkest Hour and Further Away are both top 10 IQ songs for me.

Still haven’t fully digested Seventh House yet though.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
I’ve got everything except Dark Matter, and The Darkest Hour and Further Away are both top 10 IQ songs for me.

Dark Matter is definitely my favorite of the albums I have.  Sounds like Genesis' Foxtrot as interpreted by Steven Wilson.  Top to bottom it's fantastic.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »

Dark Matter is definitely my favorite of the albums I have.  Sounds like Genesis' Foxtrot as interpreted by Steven Wilson.  Top to bottom it's fantastic.

Agree 100% on the Foxtrot comparison. Harvest Of Souls is a masterpiece, but its structure is 96% ripped off from Supper's Ready: 1. acoustic guitars and sung main theme 2. same tempo but with band 3. faster part 4. shuffled part 5. keyboard solo over an ostinato (even in the same tempo) 6. big finale, same tempo and themes as in the beginning, triumphing guitar. Not criticising, just observing :) Love this song despite of the similarities.

By the way, I saw IQ last night in Reichenbach. Great show, great sound! Not my favourite setlist though. I am not so much into their 90s stuff, I like the very early and the late stuff best. And they played a lot of 90s songs. I was hoping for The Last Human Gateway or The Province, but oh well :) It was great nevertheless. I also asked Mike Holmes about a possible Frequency vinyl release and he says it's going to happen this year!!!

I brought my Road Of Bones vinyl, and they were happy to sign it :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
After hearing so much awesomeness, I still have to say that The Province is still my favorite track from them. That guitar solo rivals Comfortably Numb.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #304 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:48 AM »
After hearing so much awesomeness, I still have to say that The Province is still my favorite track from them. That guitar solo rivals Comfortably Numb.

Agreed, The Province is probably my fav IQ song too. It's a pity it often gets overlooked among their other epics. I think that keyboard solo is amazing.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #305 on: April 15, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
The Province is a fantastic track! I love its gradual comedown after the epic guitar solo. Another song I've discovered recently that does that is The Darkest Hour.

At the moment, my favourite IQ song is probably Frequency.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »
Weren’t they shooting for an April release?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2019, 12:54:41 AM »
Weren’t they shooting for an April release?

No the new album will be out in August / September

Will see them live on the 21st of September in Stockholm and the album release party is a couple of weeks earlier.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:00 AM »
No the new album will be out in August / September

That's news to me. I guess this thread is my best source for news on this front, as IQ seem to be a Facebook band. (ie. they seem to do most of their updating on that site.)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »
Yeah it's early September, right around my birthday :)

-Marc.

Typo, sorry man.

By the way, I saw IQ last night in Reichenbach. Great show, great sound! Not my favourite setlist though. I am not so much into their 90s stuff, I like the very early and the late stuff best. And they played a lot of 90s songs.

Just checked the set, seems you got three new tracks, very cool. Also Seventh House so I hate you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
Dark Matter arrived in the mail today. I now own all the albums with PN on vocals.

Can’t wait to dig into it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:37 AM »
Dark Matter arrived in the mail today. I now own all the albums with PN on vocals.

It's worth it.  My favorite of theirs so far.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »
Yeah it's early September, right around my birthday :)

-Marc.

Typo, sorry man.

By the way, I saw IQ last night in Reichenbach. Great show, great sound! Not my favourite setlist though. I am not so much into their 90s stuff, I like the very early and the late stuff best. And they played a lot of 90s songs.

Just checked the set, seems you got three new tracks, very cool. Also Seventh House so I hate you.

That's a great way to open the show
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline romdrums

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »

So what do you think?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »

So what do you think?

On the first couple of listens, Harvest of Souls didn't hit me as hard as I hoped it would.  Although I will say that it's not as much of a Supper's Ready ripoff as I was led to believe.     When I think of "Supper's Ready ripoff" I usually think of Grendel by Marillion...and this isn't even close to being that blatant.     I hear the "feel" of SR more in climax of songs like The Seventh House and The Province than I do in Harvest of Souls.   Sacred Sound is amazing.  In fact, the first half hit me harder than the epic.   But maybe it just needs a few more spins.  It's still new, and I don't even think it's gotten to my "5 spin" rule yet.    (I just picked up an album by District 97 and I'm trying to digest that at the same time)