Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61059 times)

Offline emtee

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
Did you guys order directly from IQ's site?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
Someone was 'kind' enough to load it up on Grooveshark if you want to check it out while you wait.  There's always Amazon .mp3... it's there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

Is there a reason why the physical album is only available on their website?  I've been holding off, because i didn't want to pay $40 plus bucks for a cd to be shipped from the UK.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't bought a physical copy yet because of this.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
I'm not sure that is why I'm asking. I've gotten other physical IQ albums from sources other than their site. I want the
physical copy. So far from what I've heard (and I know this is bold and maybe too early) this could be on par with
some of my all time favorite albums. It just sounds  AMAZING!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »

Is there a reason why the physical album is only available on their website?  I've been holding off, because i didn't want to pay $40 plus bucks for a cd to be shipped from the UK.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't bought a physical copy yet because of this.

You're definitely not. I'm waiting too. And it's up for pre-order on Amazon as a $47 import.  :|

I asked the local record store if they're getting it, and they said the company that ships the import stuff isn't carrying it, though apparently "a lot" of customers have been asking.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »
As for my rankings....

1- The Seventh House
2- Ever
3- The Road of Bones
4- Subterrenea
5- The Wake
6- Frequency
7- Tales from the Lush Attic
8- Nomzamo
9- Dark Matter
10- Are You Sitting Comfortably? (ironically, the first IQ album I owned)

No. 3 through 7 are pretty much interchangeable though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
FYI, the album is currently ranked as the #1 neo-prog album of all-time by a large margin by fans reviewing the album on ProgArchives: https://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=18

It's called the "new car smell effect".  People tend to overrate and overhype new things.  I'm not saying that the album isn't great, I'm just not putting stock into people who instantly rate something 5 stars.

I'll have to post my ratings later, but I will agree with lonestar's first and last place.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
 :tup

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »
Finally got around to listening to the new album and it did not disappoint. Quite excellent, and hopefully it will only get better with more listens.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »
I'm leaving the new album out of the ratings because 15 listens in a week isn't a proper way to judge an album.

The Seventh House
Subterrania
Frequency
Dark Matter
Ever
The Wake
Nomzamo
Tales From the Lush Attic
Are You Sitting Comfortably?

The albums at the bottom aren't bad, just not where I would suggest starting.  Looking at my ranking, I obviously tend to favor the newer stuff, but each of the pre-reunion albums has at least one killer track.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I ordered directly from the band.  I think it was about $40 US to get the album and a DVD, including shipping.  Getting it 4 days before the street date was a nice bonus as well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I ordered directly from the band.  I think it was about $40 US to get the album and a DVD, including shipping.  Getting it 4 days before the street date was a nice bonus as well.

Meanwhile, at Radiant, being produced and shpped from the US it would still cost $40 and arrive 4 days after street date. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
FYI, the album is currently ranked as the #1 neo-prog album of all-time by a large margin by fans reviewing the album on ProgArchives: https://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=18

108 ratings and 5 actual reviews is "a large margin of fans"?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »

108 ratings and 5 actual reviews is "a large margin of fans"?

No, not a "large margin of fans."  I meant they were ranked #1 in the genre by a large margin.  Their #1 ranking is 4.78.  The next album in the #2 spot has a ranking of 4.23, then #3 is 4.22, and #4 is 4.21.  The IQ album is a good half point ahead of the rest of the pack.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
By all accounts the new album is going to be pretty stellar, but I'd wait until more than just die-hard IQ fans have gotten to reviewing and rating the album before I'd put too much stock in those numbers.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
Because of the new car smell.  The 2nd and 3rd place albums in that list there have over 1,300 ratings.  If that IQ album remains that high by the time it gets even 1/3 of that many ratings, then maybe it will mean something.  Or not, considering that is prog archives and their rating system is pretty flawed.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
Album is great. Without Walls is my favorite,  love the middle section.

Also, thr bonus tracks aren't bad at all. They're so different in vibe from the album songs, I can see why they didn't make the album. Ten Million Demons is an interesting song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
Just wanted to say I would be fine with Fall and Rise replacing Ocean on the album. I'm in love with this song now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Been listening to this album nonstop still.  What do you guys think the title track is about?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
Title track kicks ass. Might be the best track from the album.

As for the lyrics, I wondered this myself, and here's the quote of John Stott in response to RJ review on Lady Obscure Music Magazine:

In an interview with Prog magazine, Peter Nicholls explained the lyrics as a cinematic David Lynch-esque tale of a serial killer’s murder spree in a quiet Mid-Western town which grips the area in fear. The song is from the murderer’s point of view and explains the thrill of control and anonymity that he now has.

I find it quite plausible.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
Just got The Seventh House yesterday. Excellent album.  :metal

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
Finally got around to hearing Road of Bones, the 2 CD version, and good fucking lord is this an amazing album. Give it more time and it might be my favorite IQ album and is right now my AOTY. Really really good stuff here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Is the 2-disc version... affordable yet? >_> I haven't really been keeping tabs on it.

I see the lowest price on Amazon is $22, but I have no idea what version it is.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
It's on Spotify, so at least you can hear it before you spend that kind of money on it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
I think there is a very good chance that this album will enter my top 10 all time. Astonishing, amazing, captivating, flawless
from start to end and that includes the bonus disc. Absolutely without a doubt one of the best albums I have ever heard in
my life!! Huge kudos to this band for putting out such a brilliant album so late in their career!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
It actually showed up at the record store! After they said they were having difficulty getting it here! And... and... single disc version is still $26. Two disc version is still $39.

I weep.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »
I listened to the new IQ nonstop, but then I had to put it aside to listen to the Anathema for a bit.  Already back to IQ, lol.  The Road of Bones scratches me right where i itch for prog.

Offline emtee

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
I got the 2 disc version for $23 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Probably the most I've ever spent on a CD...and well worth it.

Masterpiece.

Offline emtee

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
The Road Of Bones is only my 2nd IQ purchase. My first was Frequency which I also loved. I'm thinking about buying the whole
discography now but looking for a little feedback from long time IQ fans to see if there are weaker albums I should skip and
which ones are the stronger ones to start with.

Thanks

Online The Letter M

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
The Road Of Bones is only my 2nd IQ purchase. My first was Frequency which I also loved. I'm thinking about buying the whole
discography now but looking for a little feedback from long time IQ fans to see if there are weaker albums I should skip and
which ones are the stronger ones to start with.

Thanks

I'd say work your way backwards. I really enjoy Dark Matter and The Seventh House. Then grab Subterranea and Ever. Before that are two albums without Peter Nichols on vocals, so if you really want the whole discography, grab those, but I don't spin them as often as the others. And before THOSE are the band's first three albums, the latter two of which have gotten anniversary collections with bonus material in the last few years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
Yep, I would tend to agree with that. The two non-Nichols albums have a much more 80's pop-prog feel to them, and I don't spin them much as well, though I love Common Ground. I would consider the must have list to be The Seventh House, Subterrenea, Ever, and The Wake. I'm not as much of a Dark Matter fan as others, but it's definitely worth owning. Tales from the Lush Attic is a solid album, proggy as fuck if that's your thing, get the 30th anniversary re-release, sounds a bajillion times better.

Offline emtee

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
I bought The Road of Bones today, my first IQ album. First impressions are very good. The climax of Without Walls is massive, reminding me a bit of the chaos near the end of Steven Wilson's Raider II. Also, Until the End is a beautiful way to end the album.

Offline emtee

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »
I never thought I would say this, or even think it for that matter but this album might end up being my favorite album of
all time. Wish You Were Here has held the top spot for my whole life. I can only speak to the here and now and let time
sort out how this album ages but as of now I would say it's my favorite album.

Astonishing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
That's a hell of a statement, but not surprising. At the moment, The Seventh House holds my top spot. IQ is just so damn good man.