General > General Music Discussion

The IQ Thread

(1/148) > >>

sirbradford117:
In this thread you teach me everything I need to know about neo-progressive band IQ.  I'm halfway through The Wake on Spotify, and I listened to all of Tales from the Lush Attic last night.  Not being a big fan of Marillion, I wasn't prepared to enjoy another English prog band from the same era.  But something about the sound of this band is REALLY hooking me.

Discuss.

Nekov:
Why the hell didn't Lonestar create this thread long ago?

Go IQ! I don't love all of their work but they have a couple of albums that are very very good. I think I'll start revisiting their discography right now, it's been a while

Nel:
I bought Frequency because it was featured in PROG Magazine years back and I liked the song. And I really enjoyed the album. I bought a used copy of Nomzamo afterward, and for cheesy 80s prog, it's a pretty fun record. That's about as far as my experience with IQ goes. The local record store has the reissue of The Wake, but it's the super deluxe $55 edition and there's no way I'm buying that. XD

Ryker Skies is fucking awesome.  :metal

lonestar:

--- Quote from: Nekov on November 29, 2012, 07:58:33 PM ---Why the hell didn't Lonestar create this thread long ago?

--- End quote ---

It was actually the first thread I ever created here, it got 5 post and died a slow death.

As to IQ......*ahem*

The two early albums, Tales and The Wake, are thickly proggy and have a "green" atmosphere about them, the band is still trying to find there sound between the '80s pop and the neoprog elements. After The Wake, singer Peter Nichols leaves to do the solo project Naidem's Ghost, and Paul Menel takes over. They come out with Are  You Sitting Comfortably and Nomzamo. Both albums have good moments, but the pop sound seems to dominate too much for my taste. Nichols then returns, and they bust out with Ever, a brilliant album(3rd on my top 50) where they have commitied to the neoprog sound and have tightened completely as a band. Also, this is where Nichols voice comes into it's perfect maturity. Next is Subterrenea, a kick ass double concept album about a social experiment gone horribly awry, and a man who has been kept in isolation is let loose on society, only to seek out his keeper(soon to be a major motion picture). Next comes The Seventh House, a wonderful album, a bit lighter and more on the playful side. From there they move into Dark Matter, a heavy and seriously intense album. Their last effort was Frequency, which has been slowly growing into one of my favorites behind Ever and Subterrenea. The major forces are founders Mike Holmes on guitar and Martin Orford on keys(left after Dark Matter). Drummer Paul Cook is a fucking beast, one of my favorites, and Peter Nichols has the most emotionally expressive voice I know of.

And to uber geek myself out, also check out The Lens, it was the bands name before IQ, and Holmes and Orford went back and rerecorded a lot of the material, all instrumental. It's on Spotify as well.

Along with DT an Yes, IQ is my favorite band.

King Postwhore:
I have 2 album and because of lonestar I feel the pressure to pick up all their albums and that's a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version