Author Topic: Bands/Artists that have done no wrong?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Bands/Artists that have done no wrong?
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
A band that has never created anything less than perfect (in your opinion, of course).

You love every song on every album, and wouldn't dream of changing anything about any song.

Produced at least 3 albums... to eliminate bands that have done no wrong, but not released enough for this title to carry the same weight. Please mention these bands anyhow.

My 2: Agalloch and TOOL

Interestingly, I hardly ever listen to TOOL, because I need to be in a certain mood before I even think about putting them on. However, I just listened to Lateralus for the hundredth time or whatever, and it never ceases to amaze me. Of course, the same goes for the rest of their albums. As for Agalloch, I can't begin to put into words how their music affects me, only that it does... a lot.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Bands/Artists that have done no wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
Death, seriously amazing band.
Other than that Kvelertak is just now about to release album #2 so I can't include them yet.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
System of a Down. There are albums that I enjoy less than others, but every album is absolutely essential in their evolution as a band and a perfect disc, imho.

Other than that, I enjoy pretty much everything that Rammstein ever put out, but not every album they did is perfect, so that's it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
Fair to Midland for me, probably also Agalloch.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Fair to Midland, The Tallest Man on Earth, August Burns Red, and arguably Thrice. They have demos and stuff that aren't that great, but every single studio album they've released ranges from good to absolutely jaw-dropping amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Most bands have that one stinker but out of the 11 or 12 they've done so far - Green Day have never disappointed me.

Some albums are much better than others of course but they've never done that one album that everybody agrees is awful.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
Transatlantic.

Yes, yes, I know they ONLY have three albums out, but they're flawless to me. Each album is astonishing, their playing and performances are awe-inspiring, and the music just never gets old for me. I can pop in any of their 3 albums at any time and be excited for a wild symphonic prog ride!

As for any other bands...hmmm. It'd odd, a lot of my favorite bands have at least one song or album that just doesn't stand up to the rest, like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Marillion, etc. etc... each of those bands have had great highs, but some particularly mind-boggling lows as well.

I suppose, if you're a band with 3-5 albums, you're more likely to fit into this category.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
God Forbid
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
I can think of several. Oceansize, The Dear Hunter, Agalloch, Mew, Amplifier, Riverside, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mr. Bungle, Alcest.
There are probably more I forgot about.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
Aside from bands that have only 1 release, I can't think of a single one. Even my favorites like Pain of Salvation and Devy have CD's I don't really care for.

I guess the closest is Anneke Van Geirsburgen who has 1 cd that isn't completely amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
You love every song on every album, and wouldn't dream of changing anything about any song.
No such artist exists.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
No such thing for me. Every band I like has at least one song that doesn't work for me, is boring, awful, I actively hate it, etc. No band I like has an album where I could say "there isn't a thing I would change." Even when I massively fanboy over a band, I can find things that aren't perfect. Which to me is a good thing; I simply don't think music is something you completely get right 100% of the time. That's the charm of it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »
Gorillaz, definitely. It's odd because they're not my favorite band in terms of how their songs affect me, how often I listen to them, etc. But I listen to them so much and I can sit down and hit "shuffle" and go through every album of every song and not dislike or skip a single one. This is the only band I can do that with; even with bands that I consider to be 'better' and that I like more, such as PT or Radiohead, I love to bits but will still have a few songs that I don't like all that much or that I will skip over because the part that I do like doesn't hit until the final notes, whatever it may be. Gorillaz have stood the test of time for me and they've really become a big part of my musical life and influences. They are the perfect band for me.

System of a Down as well, I don't dislike a single song of theirs. I need to listen to them soon..been too long.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Alice in Chains
Byzantine
Arch Enemy
Nevermore
Psychotic Waltz
Atheist

and of course

Death
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:37:24 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the only band I can think of that doesn't have any songs I dislike or find boring.

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
Alice in Chains
Byzantine
Arch Enemy
Nevermore

and of course

Death

Don't know enough about AiC, Byzantine, Nevermore or Death but I was very disappointed in Arch Enemy's last few albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Eh. Angela's era surely ain't no Johan's era as far as the music goes but they set the bar so damn high with Burning Bridges that even a slight decline for them will still result in pretty damn good melodeath. I just wish they'd stop trying to out-heavy themselves on every album if it means the melodic aspect being not quite as good as it was on previous albums.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Adami

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
Eh. Angela's era surely ain't no Johan's era as far as the music goes but they set the bar so damn high with Burning Bridges that even a slight decline for them will still result in pretty damn good melodeath. I just wish they'd stop trying to out-heavy themselves on every album if it means the melodic aspect being not quite as good as it was on previous albums.

I never got too into the pre-angela stuff. I thought Wages of Sin was their best effort. But since then it seems that their melodic ideas are REALLY samey and Angela began just screaming the same rhythm as whatever melody they were playing on the chorus rather than coming up with a good independent vocal part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Check this one out. If you like that, then check out the rest of Burning Bridges. I still love it as much now as I did when I first heard it in 2000.

Online Adami

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
Eh, not really my thing once the vocals came in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
Circus Maximus

And if we were to not count Redemption's first album since Nick Van Dyk doesn't even like it, then them too.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Haken (yes, I know they only have 2 albums, but I'm a huge fanboy)
Godspeed You(!) Black Emperor(!)

are the only 2 that come to mind for me. As much as I love some other stuff, there's always a stinker here or there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
System of a Down as well, I don't dislike a single song of theirs. I need to listen to them soon..been too long.

Yes you do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
I need to add Enslaved to my list.
Seriously the progression they made from a straight up Black Metal band into the beautiful Progressive Black Metal they play now is absolutely awe inspiring, and many bands can't even hope to become as good as they are.
Oh and Lady Gaga, and provided I absolutely love Grimes first album like I have her other two (Just got it, about to listen to it) that would make my list

Death
Enslaved
Grimes
Lady Gaga
Nachtmystium
Baroness

The more I listen to Nachtmystium's older work the more I love it, and Silencing Machine is a fantastic blend of their psychadelia/industrial black metal and traditional black metal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:48:47 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »
I have to agree that no such artist exists.  Every artist *eventually* will release something I could do without....and nobody is perfect. 

But sometimes you can have a perfect album...or in some very rare instances, I perfect stretch of albums.   For me, I played the first 11 Rush albums constantly throughout my childhood...there was not a single track from those first 11 albums I would skip.    That's probably the greatest stretch of albums by anyone ever.

But Dream Theater's 7 album stretch from IAW to Octavarium is a close second.    There are songs that are "least favorites" but really nothing I don't like.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
I think it is silly to mention bands/artists that only have a few albums, so going with ones that you need more than one hand to count their studio albums:

Rush (even the worst albums are still good)
Porcupine Tree (since becoming a real, full-time band)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

Did you even listen to the whole song?

Offline philmcson

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
System of a down
Apocalyptica
Disturbed
Motörhead

maybe Gojira.....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »

Does it matter? He said he didn't like the vocals. Why keep listening?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
Butt out dude.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Ummm, no?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
And you wonder why you have the reputation around here that you do :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
No such band or artist exist. They have their peak and lowest point in their career which is good for the music.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
I feel like people should look at the question as, "which artists that you enjoy have discographies that don't really have albums you don't like?"
I mean of course some work won't be as strong as others, but I can honestly say with the bands I listed, there isn't an album I don't like/love from them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

Does it matter? He said he didn't like the vocals. Why keep listening?

yeah cause it's not like things can grow on you or something.. the first opinion is always the one you stick to no matter what