Author Topic: Sasquatch just got real (maybe)  (Read 1269 times)

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
Sasquatch just got real (maybe)
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »
Sasquatch DNA study press release with general statement about results...
https://dnadiagnostics.com/press.html

I have followed the topic of Sasquatch for awhile - not as a believer, but thinking there is enough there to look into rather than file it with unicorns.  This is just a press release at this point, and not real evidence yet.  When the study is released, it will probably not be the be-all, end-all on the subject, but will probably be a game changer.

On this topic, I always thought that if there is something to it, it's just amazing... and if it's some kind of mass delusion, it's still amazing.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Sasquatch just got real (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
I really don't understand this American obsession with Sasquatch.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:04:05 AM »

Nor do I.

I mean if Harry actually existed, wouldn't he have to be part of a whole species big enough to exist so long? If so, wouldn't we have evidence of you know.....................an entire freaking species of animals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »
He's a Native American Myth creature as well. Google it for more info. I don't feel like posting links at the moment.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »
You're not supposed to reveal details of any paper currently undergoing peer review, as it undermines the process of it.  There's no way this was submitted to a reputable journal, and I doubt it's going to pass peer review if people are purposely disclosing info about it.

Please, people.  Don't be silly.  It's virtually impossible for a species the supposed size of Bigfoot to exist in large enough numbers to reproduce without being easy to track down and document.  For example, check out the example of the cougar, which despite being a solitary, territorial animal that usually stays the fuck away from people and population centers, and often existing in large territories in very small numbers (in Ontario, for example, there are less than 600 over an area of 1 million km^2) are able to be effectively monitored without great difficulty.

It's a myth.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »
I don't think it's that simple. 

I am also not in the camp of believers, but I want to be.  It would be awesome if definitive proof were found.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 04:08:29 AM »
Just where do you get bigfoot DNA to sequence anyway? It made no mention of this magical discovery. That plus this-

“Genetically, the Sasquatch are a human hybrid with unambiguously modern human maternal ancestry. Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a ‘license’ to hunt, trap, or kill them.”

makes this article read like complete BS to me. A scientific study should not be concluding constitutional rights, and based on mystery DNA of unmentioned origin at that. :lol

It's going to take a lot more than an unverified article on the internet to make me believe in a completely unfounded myth like bigfoot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:21:19 AM »
TSH, if you just put "This" in the beginning of your titles I would have spit my coffee all over my screen.

To help you get what I'm seeing,  replace Sasquatch with Shit. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »
Just where do you get bigfoot DNA to sequence anyway? It made no mention of this magical discovery. That plus this-

“Genetically, the Sasquatch are a human hybrid with unambiguously modern human maternal ancestry. Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a ‘license’ to hunt, trap, or kill them.”

makes this article read like complete BS to me. A scientific study should not be concluding constitutional rights, and based on mystery DNA of unmentioned origin at that. :lol

It's going to take a lot more than an unverified article on the internet to make me believe in a completely unfounded myth like bigfoot.

Thanks for proving my point.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »

It is complete BS.  You throw out a declaration like this, and then when the article inevitably doesn't get published / never materializes, you follow it up with "The government/scientific establishment/Illuminati are keeping the truth from coming out!"
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 05:07:17 AM »
 :lol haha King, that would have made the title perfect

Well you all pointed out the big problems with this right away.  GP is absolutely right, one huge problem is that this was released while stating that it is in peer review.  This is a big red flag.  Currently the answer floating around for this is that a Russian Scientist, Dr. Igor Burtsev, released information about this study prematurely (here is a facebook link https://www.facebook.com/russian.yeti, and that the group conducting the study felt it necessary to respond with this public statement (from the OP).

Also, as BVD noted, releasing conclusions about human and constitutional rights in a press release prior to publication is very dubious.

Still, I will wait and see if this is actually published in a scientific journal before dismissing it entirely.  I think skepticism is a very healthy attribute, but I'm not one to close the door completely.

For those interested, there is a similar study being conducted by geneticist Dr. Bryan Sykes at Oxford.  https://news.discovery.com/animals/big-foot-genetic-testing-120522.html  I believe I have seen updates about the progress on the Sykes study and will share the links if I can find them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:25:26 AM by TheSilentHam »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »
For those interested, there is a similar study being conducted by geneticist Dr. Bryan Sykes at Oxford.  https://news.discovery.com/animals/big-foot-genetic-testing-120522.html

Now there's an article that makes much more sense.
I would love for them to find some real proof. It could be the discovery of a lifetime. But as I have no reason to believe the myth was ever based on any reliable evidence in the first place, I consider it 100% false until something scientific comes up to support it, and so far there has been nothing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
Your a woman and you don't understand the obsession with a big tall strong long haired man? I thought most woman love that sort of thing?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
I'm a woman? :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
I see a History Channel special coming up.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
I'm a woman? :)
oops, sorry. :lol

I get confused at times. :justjen
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
Reminds me of the Mr. Plow episode of The Simpsons.

"hold on dave we can still see your wristwatch."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
I believe. I mean, he used to be a member here, no?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

Lens flare.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
Just where do you get bigfoot DNA to sequence anyway?

Lack of physical proof and the discovery of a language that didn't previously exist didn't prevent the Mormon religion from taking off.  If people want to believe something hard enough they will find a way to convince themselves it is true.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Just where do you get bigfoot DNA to sequence anyway?

Lack of physical proof and the discovery of a language that didn't previously exist didn't prevent the Mormon religion from taking off.  If people want to believe something hard enough they will find a way to convince themselves it is true.

This guy can get it.

3:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbFjxQa9E8

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »
You're not supposed to reveal details of any paper currently undergoing peer review, as it undermines the process of it.  There's no way this was submitted to a reputable journal, and I doubt it's going to pass peer review if people are purposely disclosing info about it.
What world do you live in?  Some of the biggest conferences for entire fields are almost entirely ongoing research which has yet to be peer reviewed.  Invited talks are frequently about ongoing research.  Even talks about already peer reviewed material often have a slide or to about where the research is going next, possibly including preliminary results.  Drafts of papers are often shared among people doing similar research, to avoid overlap.  References occasionally point to personal manuscripts, too.  Many papers under review already have it's ideas in a variety of public documents, for instance you have to report your work on grants.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
Speaking of pseudoscience, has anybody listened to the recent This American Life segment about this guy who built a "Rife Machine" and convinced a reputable cancer researcher to test it on real cancer cells? Really interesting, even though the outcome was somewhat predictable.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/450/transcript

Apparently they're making a movie documentary on it too.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."