Author Topic: You don't need religion to have morals  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
You don't need religion to have morals
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: You don't need religion to have morals
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »
Utter truth.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »
I agree.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »
Yes. Moral and ethics exists outside religion just as well.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
    • BlobVanDam's 3D Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
But without religion, there is no objective right and wrong, which means atheists will all be running around killing people.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:25:51 AM »
You may not need religion to be moral, but I think a lot of "secular" ethics/morality is derived from religion anyway.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:27:13 AM »
You may not need religion to be moral, but I think a lot of "secular" ethics/morality is derived from religion anyway.

Or possibly the religious morals were derived from a sense of logic and/or cultural needs at the time thus making them pretty similar to secular ethics/morals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline adace

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:50:56 AM »

Or possibly the religious morals were derived from a sense of logic and/or cultural needs at the time thus making them pretty similar to secular ethics/morals?
Could be. It's a classic chicken/egg problem.

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:03:11 AM »

You calling me a chicken?

Don't egg me on brah!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline adace

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »

You calling me a chicken?

Don't egg me on brah!
:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:55:20 AM »

Secular morals that are derived from religion as opposed to empathy? Which might those be?

Offline adace

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »

Secular morals that are derived from religion as opposed to empathy? Which might those be?
Well none really. I guess I should have been more clear in my first post. I only meant that Western humanism tends to rely on the Bible as a basic moral reference even if it denies its spiritual authority.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »

Well none really. I guess I should have been more clear in my first post. I only meant that Western humanism tends to rely on the Bible as a basic moral reference even if it denies its spiritual authority.

I'd be more inclined to say that the morals of both humanism and the Bible (with some obvious major exceptions in the case of the latter) rely on natural law and empathy, rather than humanism relying on the bible.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
The weirdest part of those claims is the ubiquitous counterexamples to it. And yet the adherents stick to their claims.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »
I personally don't recall anyone claiming that without religion there is no morals.   I've never believed that, or thought that...nor do I know anyone who thinks that.

What I *DO* believe, is that we have all been given an internal "moral compass" by God...but we need to constantly re-calibrate it under his guidance.   It can give us false readings if we are not consistently being corrected by him. 

But to claim that anything is this "black and white"???   To imply that everyone else is claiming something absolute...and then countering with the opposite absolute??  Come on.   You guys know that life is not that simple. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
Yup. Atheists and secular humanists are simply blissfully unaware of their morality coming from God.  :biggrin:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
Yup. Atheists and secular humanists are simply blissfully unaware of their morality coming from God.  :biggrin:

Yup. And theists are simply blissfully unaware of god's morality coming from a great cosmic Ouija board.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
:clap:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
Oh Adami, you jokester, you.

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Well if I may ask a question.

If this is too off topic, just let me know.

For all the theists, especially the Christians on this board (who well....I think are all the theists here anyway) which of gods laws/commandments etc are considered issues of morality? I mean, I get the 10 commandments, so we can exclude those for now. But for instance, lots of christians consider homosexuality to be a moral issue, but what about the dietary restrictions for the jews? Are those considered issues of morality? What is/isn't?

Honestly curious. I'd consult the cosmic Ouija board, but god is borrowing it at the moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
I personally don't recall anyone claiming that without religion there is no morals.   I've never believed that, or thought that...nor do I know anyone who thinks that.

Maybe not on this message board. However, there are plenty of people that do believe exactly that.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »

For all the theists, especially the Christians on this board (who well....I think are all the theists here anyway) which of gods laws/commandments etc are considered issues of morality? I mean, I get the 10 commandments, so we can exclude those for now. But for instance, lots of christians consider homosexuality to be a moral issue, but what about the dietary restrictions for the jews? Are those considered issues of morality? What is/isn't?

Honestly curious. I'd consult the cosmic Ouija board, but god is borrowing it at the moment.
What things are considered issues of morality? Whatever you'd like. Anytime a person asks "Is X right or wrong?", he's making X a moral issue. Anyone (atheist, theist, etc) can pose that kind of question.

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »

What things are considered issues of morality? Whatever you'd like. Anytime a person asks "Is X right or wrong?", he's making X a moral issue. Anyone (atheist, theist, etc) can pose that kind of question.

So to continue the example I made. Jews who don't eat milk and meat because of the bible, you'd consider that a moral issue?

If so, since gods rules clearly changed, how could morality be changed?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
What do you mean exactly when you say "moral issue"? I'm not on the same page as you.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
Yea, this is the truth. I don't understand how anyone could dispute this.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
I was asked by a fellow DTFer to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2h7PFg5Dwk

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »

Maybe not on this message board. However, there are plenty of people that do believe exactly that.

Many on the religious right believe it, as exemplified by blaming Columbine on the teaching of evolution.  the thinking is that without religion (and the threat if hell), people have no reason not to be complete assholes to one anther, therefore there will be complete immorality and anarchy.  They believe that there is no such thing as inherent good in people, and that we are all monsters if there is no threat of eternal damnation hanging over us.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

Many on the religious right believe it, as exemplified by blaming Columbine on the teaching of evolution.  the thinking is that without religion (and the threat if hell), people have no reason not to be complete assholes to one anther, therefore there will be complete immorality and anarchy.  They believe that there is no such thing as inherent good in people, and that we are all monsters if there is no threat of eternal damnation hanging over us.

I would argue that religious leaders of that type have been around ever since religion was a TRIBAL thing.   That dynamic is not exclusive to (and far predates) the birth of Christianity forward.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TL

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
My reaction when reading the thread title/OP;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZhrGR0D0Y

Offline adace

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »
Let's not forget the flipside of the OP. You don't need morals to be religious. Cases in point: Christian Crusaders and Islamic extremists.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »
I mean, they had morals, just not very good ones.