Author Topic: Running/Jogging  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Ħ

Running/Jogging
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Is anyone else a fan of this sport/physical activity? I started back up with it a week ago. Can only go about 20 minutes now - compared to the glory days in high school, that's nothing.

Anyway, it's such a simple activity that gives such a refreshing physical and psychological boost. Gotta love that runner's high!  :hat  And it's a great time to just get in the zone and think about life. So yeah, any other fans?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Running/Jogging
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Love it.  Unfortunately, my knees will not allow me to do it any longer.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
Wait what? Did something happen since I last talked to you?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »
I like to run.  My feet do not.  :(
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
I run almost 1 hour 4 times a week. It's a great and simple way to keep you healthy.

Sadly, many people tend to do this just because losing weight when in need. But no, I think this must be regular daily activity. Well, 1 hour may be extreme for everyone but at least 20-30 min. can be enough to keep your body fit and stay healthy.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
I run almost 1 hour 4 times a week. It's a great and simple way to keep you healthy.

Sadly, many people tend to do this just because losing weight when in need. But no, I think this must be regular daily activity. Well, 1 hour may be extreme for everyone but at least 20-30 min. can be enough to keep your body fit and stay healthy.
Yeah it's a lifestyle, not a quick fix. Fortunately, even if you're just doing it to lose weight or whatever, you usually end up loving it.

Surgeon general in the US says you need an hour of exercise a day...which is kind of nuts! Still, I'd like to work up to the point where I can run that much each day. I'm aiming for two months.

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:06:36 AM »
I love it too. It's just so relaxing and helps me clear my head when things are shitty. I try to get up to 30-40 km a week.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
have never been able to run, but over the last year I have managed to work my way up to 3.5 miles.  really enjoying it.
I'm thinking it may be better to use the treadmill, though, to save the knees

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »
Is anyone else a fan of this sport/physical activity? I started back up with it a week ago. Can only go about 20 minutes now - compared to the glory days in high school, that's nothing.

Anyway, it's such a simple activity that gives such a refreshing physical and psychological boost. Gotta love that runner's high!  :hat  And it's a great time to just get in the zone and think about life. So yeah, any other fans?

I like it but I don't do it as much, I go biking instead. I did pick up this new watch today and I can't wait to go running with it: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=83274&ra=true

Had it on sale for $149 on amazon.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:20:48 AM »
A few months back I quit smoking and started running, went from being wheezy and asthmatic to being able to run 5k no problems, then a breakup restarted the smoking which lowered the fitness and the gym was a place I didn't have time for and now... I'm unfit again :P

Was good to know I was able to do it, though. I live near a park now so I might get back into it.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
Anyone know the best way to increase your speed? I can run comfortably around 8mph for about a half hour or so, but anything faster than that just winds me. It'd be great to run 9mph or so with no issues.

Oh, and over Thanksgiving break, my aunt got me a fresh new pair.  :hat Time to break 'em in.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »
-
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 12:34:10 AM by Fisi »

Offline Rob

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »
Jogging is the shit! I started continuously (with exceptions) doing it about 2 years ago. At first, I could go about 20 - 30 minutes, but now I usually jog an hour. Like you said, it's a good way to think about things or to listen to an album or just drool over nature's beauty (where I live, at least). It's really addictive and makes you feel great afterwards.  :hat

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
Anybody here go for speed?  If so, what's your best mile time? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
I was never very fast, but 6 minutes was where I was at in high school.

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »

Yeah, sometimes. I like the longer distances so that's normally what I would time. My best 10km is at 42:43 and my best 21km ended up at 1:46:59. Both from this year.

My goal for next year is to get under 40 minutes on the 10km and maybe to get through a full marathon. Goals are important, people :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
Me before settling into a running routine:

Me after settling into a running routine:

It's not too much of a stretch that running saved my life and continues to save it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
Holy crap. :clap:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Thanks. I mean, I do plenty of other things: weights, pushups, watching what I eat, and so on. But running is probably the most significant contributor to my getting into shape.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
What were people in your life saying to you after you went through that transformation?

Offline Rob

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
Now that's what I call success, Raven! Congrats! :omg:  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
Congrats Raven!!

I got my forerunner 410 yesterday, this watch is awesome, i can't wait to go for a jog tonight.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Thanks, guys. :)

What were people in your life saying to you after you went through that transformation?

The more I slimmed down, the more people noticed, and the more people gave me compliments. They've fizzed out in recent years since I'm in college and now know a lot of new people who aren't even aware.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
How long did it take you?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
I think running gave you a better fashion sense. ;) *unique compliment master*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
Just went on an awesome run. Basically, warmed up for 5 minutes, then alternated between 2 minutes of running and doing bodyweight exercises (pushups, planks, squats) for about 20 minutes of running total. Worked up a huge sweat.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
How long did it take you?

Hm, well, it took a little more than a year to lose about 70 lbs, which I felt pretty good about. I didn't make any significant increases in my workout for a pretty long time, which made me hover around there for roughly until late last year. By November I started doing more and have lost an additional 30-35 lbs, which I've kept off since April of this year.

I think running gave you a better fashion sense. ;) *unique compliment master*

Haha, thanks. Anything to fit in those skinny jeans!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:41:07 PM by Ravenheart »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
On Monday I made the mistake of hitting calves REALLY hard on the calf raise machine. My calves have always been strong so I didn't feel any pain doing about 25 sets with super high weight. They're still incredibly sore and it's made running extremely tough and awkward this week due to the amount of lactic acid in my calves. It's fading though. I won't make that mistake again.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
great job, raven

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
Definitely pulled my left hamstring. This sucks big time.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »

I recently got a 5:30, but that's nowhere near my times in high school.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:26 AM »
Quick question, would anyone be down with a 2013 running challenge? Like, we collectively have to run 5000 miles or something?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »
The best way to get faster is to run faster.  Sounds funny, right?  Interval training is probobly the most popular way to train for getting faster.  Run 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile at a faster pace than you would normally run on a fast run.  If you run a certain pace for 1 hour, you can likely run at a faster pace for only a half hour.  Run your intervals at a faster pace than that.  You can also do tempo runs, where you vary your pace at certain times, speeding up faster than normal, slowing your pace to rest, and resuming the faster tempo, so on and so forth.

I started "jogging" because I used to play a lot sports until I was 18, then after a few years of non-activity I needed something.  I used to jog in skateboard shoes holding a cd player (2007).  Eventually I wanted to improve, rather than just do 3 miles everyday.  Rest days became important, slowing pace to increase distance became important, and seeing the miles keep going up became important.  Everything I've done in running I worked hard for.  I am not someone with natural running abilities.  I got to 3 consecutive months over 150 miles, completed as much as a half marathon, all at around a 10 min. pace.  Slow, I know.  Then i got tired of all the long hours on the road, and the eventual remark from another runner in a 5k, "Why are you running back here?" 

It was time to stop jogging and start running.  Shorter miles, faster times, and a lot more fun.  I'm still not particularly fast, but I do what I can.  I "sprained"/destroyed my ankle the first week of August and didn't run for 4 months.  I just got back on the road and have run ~5 times.  No issues with my ankle on the runs, but I still get the feeling that I need to get it fixed by a doctor.

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
Did a 9 km run this morning. It was pretty cold (-10C) and it's been snowing alot the last few weeks here in Sweden so we knew it was gonna be tougher than usual. But it started out nice with only the cold biting us. Eventually (around km 4) we got to a trail in the forest which wasn't plowed at all - we're talking like 50 cm of untouched snow here. But we took it as a challenge and kept on going.. after maybe 1-2 km we finally made it out and on to a real road with less snow. Those 1-2 km killed my legs completely and the lactic acid just wouldn't set, so the rest of the run was just me fucking forcing myself back to base. Good workout though  :tup

And if you thought I was exhausted, you should have seen my buddy (who was wearing his ballistic vest, which weighs 8 kg) that ran with me the whole way.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
Tried interval training yesterday for 3 miles. I used a built in treadmill programs that changed the speed automatically. I managed to go the fastest I've ever ran, which was like at 11.5 mph. Raising the bar. But my legs were super sore today.