Author Topic: Hard Rock - old and new  (Read 5350 times)

Offline r0cken

Hard Rock - old and new
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
I know hard rock is kind of a broad term, and it usually borders and mixes with other genres. Lets say it should be heavier than AOR, but not heavy enough to be metal.

Anyway, throw in some names, recommendations and all time favorites. Good classic hard rock like Steppenwolf, cheesy 80s stuff like Def Leppard, timeless bands like Aerosmith and especially promising new acts like... Well, these are more difficult to find lately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Hard Rock - old and new
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:33 PM »
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties, Spectres, Fire of Unknown Origin, Cultosaurus Erectus and Heaven Forbid are all great starter albums.
Foghat - Slow Ride is still one of the best songs ever.
Damn Yankees - Their second album, Don't Tread, is a very good hard rock record (no light rock tunes like High Enough).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
We probably cover this in the AOR/Melodic Rock thread. I certainly do because I would class Hard Rock as "my" genre rather than AOR (too many keyboards- not enough guitar). Many of the bands we've talked about there I would class as haard rock.

A fairly new band I would recommend is Crazy Lixx- the New Religion album would have been huge in the late 80s.

And a personal fave is Pink Cream 69. Try Thunderdome, Electriified and In10sity.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »
Lowdz, yeah you could throw that in with AOR, but I wanted a separate topic, cause lots of hard rock doesn't even remotely fit in with AOR.
For example, I searched for "Aerosmith" and found no actual discussion. Certainly wouldn't post about them in AOR.
By they way, they just released a new album, that so far totally disappointed me. Anyone had a listen?

Speaking of Blue Oyster Cult, I tried to get into them, but to no avail. I really got hooked on "Dominance and submission", though. God it's a groovy song.  :D

Been hitting repeat on youtube with this tune lately. It's a new UK band, and I'm anxious to hear the album when it comes out in February.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »
I've heard the Aerosmith. It's ok but nothing there to make me rush out and buy it.
I was never a big fan tbh. The early years don't do anything for me. Permanent Vacation-Pump were really good but they lost me after that.

And I agree it's probably worth it's own topic. Alot of the stuff that has been recommended in the other thread would probably fit better here.

This would also be a good place to discuss the new KISS album. I really like it on the whole. A couple of tracks are below par (the Eric Singer vocal All In The Name Of Rock'n'Roll the main culprit) but a good album. It probably just lacks a bit of variety, maybe a ballad or a Black Diamond style "epic".

Offline adace

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »
Would stuff like Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed count?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »
This would also be a good place to discuss the new KISS album. I really like it on the whole. A couple of tracks are below par (the Eric Singer vocal All In The Name Of Rock'n'Roll the main culprit) but a good album. It probably just lacks a bit of variety, maybe a ballad or a Black Diamond style "epic".

For me the Eric one was one of the saving tracks of the album that didn't feel like Sonic Boom pt 2. It's a typical '70s Peter Criss Rod Stewart copy sort of song, which is what I liked about it. Although it is one of the less rock tracks, it's one of the most memorable and catchy tracks.
Overall I think the album is ok, but I think Sonic Boom was a stronger album. Sonic Boom was like a rehash of their old stuff, which I liked, but Monster is like a rehash of Sonic Boom, so it's like a double rehash. :lol

And could they have chosen a more uninspired cover? I remember when Paul said the cover was being done in the style of Destroyer, and then instead we end up getting a stock promo shot over a plain logo and background that just looks like a tour poster for the KISS/Crue tour.

Would stuff like Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed count?

ಠ_ಠ
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:49 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:34 AM »
That new Kiss album cover is truly uninspired; you're right! It does look just like a promo shoot cover thrown together at the last second.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:08 AM »
That new Kiss album cover is truly uninspired; you're right! It does look just like a promo shoot cover thrown together at the last second.

It does look better with the hologram cover but I agree it's uninspired, especially for a band with such an iconic look. A painting in the style of Destroyer/Love Gun would have been great but I guess Gene didn't want to spend any more than he had to.

It certainly is an extension of Sonic Boom but I thought SB had more filler.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »
Would it have hurt Genes precious bank account to spend abit more money on the cover lol. Oh well good album overall. But like Sonic Boom, it won't get a lot of repeated plays from me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »

It does look better with the hologram cover but I agree it's uninspired, especially for a band with such an iconic look. A painting in the style of Destroyer/Love Gun would have been great but I guess Gene didn't want to spend any more than he had to.

It certainly is an extension of Sonic Boom but I thought SB had more filler.

I disagree there. At best I'd say equal, although I find there are less standouts on Monster, and a lot of the songs are carbon copies of the songs on Sonic Boom, which in themselves were very inspired by the old stuff. Gene even reuses several of the exact same lines from Sonic Boom on this album. :lol
Wall of Sound = I'm An Animal.
Eat Your Heart Out = Hot And Cold.
Outta This World = When Lightning Strikes

I do quite like Hell or Hallelujah, Shout Mercy, Eat Your Heart Out (despite being a rehash), All For The Love of Rock n Roll, and Last Chance, but the rest blur together to me. And Paul has more stinkers on this album. Sonic Boom had Say Yeah, but Monster has Freak and Good Times, Bad Times Long Way Down.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 05:01:04 AM »
I quite like the new Kiss album, I think it's as good as Sonic Boom. And yes, the album cover is pretty bland.

Speaking of hard rock, I've been obsessively into Alice Cooper this past week. I decided to dig deeper into his catalogue beyond the hits compilations, and I discovered that there's a goldmine of stuff there. Billion Dollar Babies, Welcome To My Nightmare, and Love It To Death are my Top 3 so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
Never been into kiss, apart from maybe a couple of songs. I did like one of Bruce Kulick's solo albums, from 2001. And he made a couple of excellent albums with his project Union, with John Corabi.

I do need to listen to the latest Alice Cooper. Heard good things about it. I only liked his 80s - early 90s albums so far: Trash (1989), Hey Stoopid (1991) and my favorite: The Last Temptation (1994).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »
I do need to listen to the latest Alice Cooper. Heard good things about it. I only liked his 80s - early 90s albums so far: Trash (1989), Hey Stoopid (1991) and my favorite: The Last Temptation (1994).

I'm focusing on his 70s stuff now. I've heard the Trash album, but it's too "80s hair metal" for me - I've never been into that type of rock.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:41 AM »
His 70s albums are a little too psychedelic for me.
But the 80s are definitely my kinda thing. My whole introduction to rock music started with hair metal. One could say it's rather sad, but I can live with it.  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 06:00:07 AM »
His 70s albums are a little too psychedelic for me.
But the 80s are definitely my kinda thing. My whole introduction to rock music started with hair metal. One could say it's rather sad, but I can live with it.  ;D

Nothing sad about that at all. :tup :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »

I'm focusing on his 70s stuff now. I've heard the Trash album, but it's too "80s hair metal" for me - I've never been into that type of rock.

I'm an 80s/90s Alice fan really too. Hey Stoopid being my favourite, though I don't like the title track at all. Huge guitars on that album. I love From The Inside too. Those you mentioned I like too, plus most of Raise Your Fist.
His stuff post Last Temptation hasn't done anything for me, though Welcome To My Nightmare 2 had some moments.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 06:10:14 AM »
Hey Stoopid being my favourite, though I don't like the title track at all. Huge guitars on that album.
Obviously... With guest guitarists like Slash, Vai and Satriani.
Which reminds me - Slash has been steadily releasing awesome hard rock albums since the demise of GNR. Loved his Snakepit project, and his latest two solo albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:29 AM »
Zydar is so right on Alice Cooper, especially the Schools Out/Killer era. Easily the most underrated American classic rock band.
Lowdz, Welcome 2 My Nightmare sucks so bad I can't even...

I still cannot find it within myself to even get into the last two Kiss albums.

And this thread can go no further without the inclusion of UFO and Thin Lizzy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 06:21:19 AM »
Being a long time fan of Kiss, I will not be getting the new album.  Sonic Boom I got.  I probably shouldn't have.

If you want Kiss that seriously will rock your socks off, get Revenge.  It's definitely harder than old Kiss and a little less "pop" oriented, for lack of a better term, but not heavy metal-hard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »
Yes, Revenge is great. Saw that tour in a club.

@ Lowdz. Yes 00's Alice has been very spotty if not poor. But I love The Eyes Of Alice Cooper. Has a great old school vibe to it.

Also Alice's touring band for Hey Stoopid:
Vinnie Moore
Stef Burns
Greg Smith
Eric Singer
Derek Sherinian
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:50 AM »
Hey Stoopid being my favourite, though I don't like the title track at all. Huge guitars on that album.
Obviously... With guest guitarists like Slash, Vai and Satriani.
Which reminds me - Slash has been steadily releasing awesome hard rock albums since the demise of GNR. Loved his Snakepit project, and his latest two solo albums.

Stef Burns holds his own in that company and he ... burns...

I find Slash so overrated. Just a case of cool image and right place, right time.

And TAC, the WTMN2 is poor, but I found some decent moments- most were wtf moments but they made me smile. Don't imagine I'll ever listen to it again though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »

@ Lowdz. Yes 00's Alice has been very spotty if not poor. But I love The Eyes Of Alice Cooper. Has a great old school vibe to it.

Vinnie Moore
Stef Burns
Greg Smith
Eric Singer
Derek Sherinian

In America yes. Don't get me started. I went to the gig in the UK expecting to se Vinnie Moore, one of my top 5 guitarists and he wasn't there. Nearly ruined the whole gig for me. His replacement Pete Friesen was competent, nothing more.

His previous band had some talent too.
Kip Winger
Kane Roberts
Ken Mary

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
Yeah, I've seen some clips on YouTube where Alice played with some Rambo lookalike called Kane Roberts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »

Vinnie Moore
Stef Burns
Greg Smith
Eric Singer
Derek Sherinian

In America yes. Don't get me started. I went to the gig in the UK expecting to se Vinnie Moore, one of my top 5 guitarists and he wasn't there. Nearly ruined the whole gig for me. His replacement Pete Friesen was competent, nothing more.

His previous band had some talent too.
Kip Winger
Kane Roberts
Ken Mary

I got pics backstage with Kane Roberts and Ken Mary from the RYFAY tour.
But The Nightmare Returns your with the band that included Kip Winger is one of my all time favorite shows.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »
In what way is Slash overrated? As a guitar player? Maybe, I can't say. I'm not a musician, so all accomplished guitarists sound pretty good to me. I really don't focus on who's the bigger virtuoso.

Music-wise he writes really straightforward, fun, unpretentious rock-n-roll, in a way that just can't be overrated.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 07:10:56 AM »
Yeah, I've seen some clips on YouTube where Alice played with some Rambo lookalike called Kane Roberts.

Kane released a great AOR/Melodic Rock album called Saints & Sinners after leaving Alice's band. If the 80s isn't your thing Zydar I don't think this would change your mind but it is a very good album. Kane has a good rock voice and is an ok guitarist. Similar to Trash I guess- Desmond Child had a hand in it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »
In what way is Slash overrated? As a guitar player? Maybe, I can't say. I'm not a musician, so all accomplished guitarists sound pretty good to me. I really don't focus on who's the bigger virtuoso.

Music-wise he writes really straightforward, fun, unpretentious rock-n-roll, in a way that just can't be overrated.

As a soloist mainly. It's boring, cliched pentatonic stuff that is just not exciting for me to listen to. He seems to have trouble playing in key at times too. His songwriting doesn't do anything for me either- excepting Appetite which I loved when it came out. Nothing he or Axl have done since has made any impression on me. but that's just me. I respect your opinion. Lots of people agree with you. I do like his tone, but it's hard to make a Les Paul into a Marshall sound crap!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »
We do seem to have opposite opinions about stuff. Fair enough. Just curious, what other guitarists do you like? You mentioned Vinnie Moore... Also, I'd guess Tony MacAlpine?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »
I've never been interested to follow Slashs career post GnR. He was great on those GnR albums though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »
We do seem to have opposite opinions about stuff. Fair enough. Just curious, what other guitarists do you like? You mentioned Vinnie Moore... Also, I'd guess Tony MacAlpine?

Yeah, the shredders!
T mac, Schenker, Uli Roth, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Michael Lee Firkins, David Chastain, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Warren Di Martini, JP, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons.

But I also love Ace Frehley, Gary Moore, Paul Raymond, Steve Rothery and a host of other less technical, more melodic guys too. My tastes are certainly rooted in the 80s though.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
Lowdz, well... Definitely no Schenker, Macalpine, Roth, Yngwie, Lynch or any kind of neo-classical/power shredders  for me. 
I do love Vai, Satch, Friedman and Becker though. Friedman is one of my favorites, actually. And some other, non-metal guitarists: Kenny Wayne Sheperd, Eric Johnson, Albert Lee.

TAC, why not give him a try then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCGSNO9dqUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCnXVVDv1k

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
Ok I will.

For me it's all about Michael Schenker and Gary Moore ( and JP!).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
Michael Lee Firkins

I remember when he FIRST came on the scene on Shrapnel.  I'd read how just crazy good the guy was, but I never got around to listening to any of his stuff.

I can't remember if you'd said wether or not you've heard any of Paul Gilbert's solo stuff?  If not (either of the two of you), it's a pretty cool departure from his Racer-X/Mr. Big/"More chops than a butcher shop" kinda thing.  He DOES have a couple solo albums that are all instrumental, but most of his solo albums have some pretty decent poppy songwriting, albeit with a MONSTER guitarist on the solos.  Also, he's not a bad singer, either.  :lol  Very good stuff.