Author Topic: Computer Help Needed...kind of....  (Read 1470 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Computer Help Needed...kind of....
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
If you had a chance to take a BASIC class on computers (Windows, not Mac) and how to use them, and you could ask questions, what would you ask? I'm looking for basic questions from folks who are not computer experts, but who use computers on a daily basis. What would you like to learn about using computers? What gives you the most trouble/difficulty on a daily basis?

I've been asked to develop a basic computer usage class to be taught to employees and family members of employees at my company.  The challenge for me, at least initially, is coming up with a curriculum for the class.  So, I thought I'd ask here and on Facebook about the most common challenges that my friends encounter on their computers.  I'm not looking for advanced stuff here, just basics. 

I know there are plenty of advanced users here, but I figure there are also plenty of people who just kind of get by and I'm wondering what you'd like to learn how to do better on your computer?  What gives you the most difficulty?  What would you like to be better at doing on your computer in terms of just using it?

Someone else is going to be giving a class on Microsoft Office productivity application usage, so my class is going to focus on other stuff, I'm just trying to figure out where I should start.

All input is welcome and appreciated.  :)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Computer Help Needed...kind of....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
I would imagine for your standard non-advanced user, maybe a brief oversight of the items in the big scary "Control Panel" might be helpful, though that could potentially eat up a lot of time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
There is so much customization Windows lets you do, but most 'basic' people have no idea do do any of it. I have co-workers ask me all the time things like "How do I change the image on my desktop?" or "How do I get rid of that stupid tune every time I start/shut down my computer?" It isn't necessarily related to productivity, but does help enhance the overall experience.

One of the gals here called our IT dept/Help Desk because she couldn't figure out how to print a document on legal paper.  :|
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Basic windows and excel knowledge. It's basically a prerequisite for any office job now.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
How to add and remove programs. A lot of people think that just deleting the desktop shortcut is the same as deleting the program.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
With a thread title like this, you will not attract the desired people to your thread. The group you are looking for will avoid this thread seeing as they assume they can't be of any help anyway.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:02:51 PM »
How to hook up a printer. That's another one. In fact, how to hook up anything (speakers, mouses, keyboards, whatever). Also, general maintenance, like how to clean out the keyboard or the processor.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Not so serious:  Where's the "ANY" key?

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
Tutorial on free antivirus and spyware programs.  Newbies tend to pay for something they can get for free, and when the paid subcription lapses, they often forget to renew and are increasingly susceptible to viruses/malware.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
^On that note, how to turn off expired subscription popups. I don't even know how to do that. :lol

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
With a thread title like this, you will not attract the desired people to your thread. The group you are looking for will avoid this thread seeing as they assume they can't be of any help anyway.

Definitely this.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
^On that note, how to turn off expired subscription popups. I don't even know how to do that. :lol
Download avast!, uninstall McAfee/Norton/whatever
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
Not so serious:  Where's the "ANY" key?
  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Some good ones in here so far.  It's hard for me to think of stuff like this because basic computer use is second nature to me having used computers in one form or another since MS-DOS 1.0

The Windows Control panel might be a topic for an entire class.  And I'd probably only scratch the surface.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
How to add and remove programs. A lot of people think that just deleting the desktop shortcut is the same as deleting the program.
Hell fuckin yeah.

When I've had to explain "how to run the computer" to less savvy folk, I've always tried to explain files and folders, and as a subgroup of that, registered and unregistered programs.  It helps to have some solid understanding of what and where files and programs are.  Firefox isn't just the icon on your desktop.  It's a program made up of lots of little files scattered about.  It has to be unpacked and assembled.  That sort of thing. 

And FFS, explain the difference between memory and HDD space.  In fact, a good, 15 minute overview of the hardware side of things would do a helluva lot of people a great deal of good.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:29 AM »
^^ Definitely. Also I think in these days you can expect some questions about "the cloud" as well.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:35:24 AM »
Keyboard shortcuts.  The obvious ones, and the not so obvious ones.  Ctrl Z is my most used one ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:45 AM »
Call the class "Right Click - The Key to Untold Riches in Computers"

- copy
 - paste
 - keyboarding shortcuts-the mouse is a crutch
 - using Windows explorer - moving files around
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:59 AM »
Keyboard shortcuts.  The obvious ones, and the not so obvious ones.  Ctrl Z is my most used one ever.

I believe that would be second place to Ctrl+S for me. I do it completely instinctively without even realizing anymore. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 07:03:56 AM »
The Windows Control panel might be a topic for an entire class.  And I'd probably only scratch the surface.

Defintely, it would likely need a whole class, but on the plus side, it would cover a LOT of things, including some things listed above, i.e. wallpaper, startup/shut down sounds, add and remove programs, etc.

I believe that would be second place to Ctrl+S for me. I do it completely instinctively without even realizing anymore. :lol

I use win+E (opens Windows Explorer), win+M (minimizes all applications), and win+R (opens run dialog box) pretty often.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »
I use win+E (opens Windows Explorer), win+M (minimizes all applications), and win+R (opens run dialog box) pretty often.

I use Win+D all the time to show the desktop (probably similar to Win+M, I gather?). I started using it during college when I needed to quickly hide whatever I was doing from the teacher. :lol
Never used any of the ones you mentioned though. I'll have to remember those. :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »

Definitely. Windows 7 also has a shitload of other useful shortcuts that really make the whole thing easier than with previous stuff (like Win+P), so if you're teaching with that, don't forget that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
Basic troubleshooting. So important.

Also, show them how to boot in safe mode. Maybe give them some confidence by showing them how to use msconfig?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
CTRL + arrow keys. It's a much quicker way of navigating a text document that you're currently typing. If you also hold SHIFT, it will higlight stuff too.

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

https://xkcd.com/627/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
For work related... id say basic windows usage like logging on/off and strong passwords, basic customization then use of office products like outlook word excel and then don't forget printing!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
Teach them how to roll with Command Prompt. Then, when they master it, get them to use linux! :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »
Teach them how to roll with Command Prompt. Then, when they master it, get them to use linux! :D

Good gosh man, we're trying to make computer usage easier for them, not harder! :biggrin: