Author Topic: Abortion debate  (Read 15782 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Abortion debate
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
I try not to let my views about pro-lifers be colored by this ardent crusader who I went to college with, but when you post things like this constantly to your FB, it gets a little frustrating.

http://liveactionnews.org/media/the-latest-word-game-played-by-pro-choice-activists/

You’re probably plenty aware of how often the liberal, typically pro-abortion media refers to celebrities’ pregnant bellies as “baby bumps.” Not, of course, “fetus bumps.” No, no – that term (as well as “zygote” and the scientifically inaccurate “fertilized egg”) are reserved for discussions of pro-life legislators and pro-life ideas being voted on by the population. When it’s a political issue – anything that could actually serve to limit abortion – the media tells us we’re just dealing with impersonal “fetuses.” But when a celebrity many gush over is expecting, well, then it’s a baby, folks.

Oh, the word games.

Now, the newest word game in this never-ending string of word games has emerged. Kate Middleton is expecting. But what, pray tell, is she expecting? A fetus? A zygote? A fertilized egg? A potential life? Nope. According to Jezebel (your source for nearly all things vehemently pro-abortion), Princess Kate is expecting a baby.

To be entirely fair, the author of Jezebel‘s article does use the word “fetus” twice to describe babies. Neither time is the author discussing Kate’s baby – just babies in general. Apparently general, common babies are “fetuses,” but Kate’s baby is, well, a baby. Odd how that can happen.

“Baby” is used seven times in the article to describe unborn babies, and even “person” is used once.

Riddle me this: how can abortion supporters so easily call a wanted, anticipated, and famous baby a baby but discuss aborted or almost aborted babies as the property of the mother, a parasite, a fertilized egg, fetus, collection of cells, potential life, or other such dehumanizing term? What gives?

Could it possibly be that, deep down, each of us inherently knows that an unborn child is indeed a child? We know the truth. We know that the unborn cry out to be defended, protected, and allowed to live. We all know that abortion is tragedy – not because it’s one in a line of difficult decisions, but because it ends the life of a new, unique, living individual.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
    • BlobVanDam's 3D Portfolio
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
:facepalm: Without taking any sides, there are much better pro-life arguments than weak verbal semantics.

And to get technical, statistically the majority of abortions are earlier in the pregnancy, mostly before a "baby bump" is noticeable. And when someone is "expecting" a baby, it's "expected" at the end of 9 months, once it's actually a baby. You don't expect a fetus, because if a fetus came out after 9 months, you'd want a refund.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
That article sounds like one of those guys who think they just discovered this deep flaw in their counterpart's argument, but in essence only display their limited mental capabilities.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
You don't expect a fetus, because if a fetus came out after 9 months, you'd want a refund.

:rollin
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
That article sounds like one of those guys who think they just discovered this deep flaw in their counterpart's argument, but in essence only display their limited mental capabilities.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
Well played, theseoafs, well played  :hat

Offline Ħ

« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
This is such a silly semantic issue. It's like differentiating between the morning star and the evening star...when they're both Venus. So it doesn't really matter if you call it a "baby bump" or a "fetus bump" because you're talking about the exact same thing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
I don't know, this silly semantics point could be a key factor in deciding abortion law.  I mean, some people see a pregnant woman and say she's 'got one in the oven,' so maybe the law should be that unborn children aren't children at all but actually baked goods. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Or maybe should be covered through domestic violence laws, after all she got knocked up.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
I don't know, this silly semantics point could be a key factor in deciding abortion law.  I mean, some people see a pregnant woman and say she's 'got one in the oven,' so maybe the law should be that unborn children aren't children at all but actually baked goods.

And if you try eating a cake that hasn't been cooked long enough, it's not really gonna be a cake. We call cake batter, cake batter, and you could probably say that is more akin to an embyro/fetus. Like a child, it's not really a cake until it's baked long enough.

And I don't see this as a silly semantical argument either (mostly, cause I didn't read an argument), it's really an article trying to get you to acknowledge their definition of a baby. Which is important for the pro-life debate. That said, if it's used to try and argue for a pro-life position, it has a ton of faults and problems with it, including a lot of fallacies.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

And if you try eating a cake that hasn't been cooked long enough, it's not really gonna be a cake. We call cake batter, cake batter, and you could probably say that is more akin to an embyro/fetus. Like a child, it's not really a cake until it's baked long enough.

I'm impressed that someone managed to take my post and make a serious point out of it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »
I would never do that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.