Author Topic: Thank You Scientist  (Read 35607 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Thank You Scientist
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
Going to download this before work in the morning.

Just listening to A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existence and it's still my favourite song of theirs. The way the intro leads into it and dat chorus  :hefdaddy

For me, they haven't managed to top that song yet! I don't understand why no one ever seems to talk about it, it's a phenomenal song!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
Honestly not even in my top half of that album but I mean it's still great

The chorus of terraformer is gonna be stuck in my head all evening again

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
I am 3 songs in and I am already liking it better than Stranger heads.

I have listened to Perils of time travel and Maps more times then I can count, but only listened to Stranger heads once or twice I think. It just didn't grab me, but I'm Really liking the new album so far.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »
Stranger Heads is good but kinda runs out of steam in the back half, pretty much all the best stuff is in the first half

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
Stranger Heads is good but kinda runs out of steam in the back half, pretty much all the best stuff is in the first half

Psychopomp disagrees.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
Honestly found that one of the more forgettable tracks, the two bookending it are better

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
I like Rube Goldberg Variations too, but better than Psychopomp? I don't think so.
Amateur Arsonist is okay but a pretty weak closer, if you ask me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
It's definitely their weakest closer considering I already like Terraformer more than it but ehh, it's still good

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2019, 01:54:29 AM »
Anyone know if Terraformer is going to be released on Bandcamp today? I can't find it. Want to download but want the guys to get the most amount of money from me.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »
Or if there is any seller in Europe, that offers the album. The shipping costs from merchnow to Europe are higher than the album price.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »
After two listens my early impression is that this album's too damn long, but still pretty good.

Son of a Serpent is an early favorite. That song goes in some really unexpected directions.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #292 on: June 16, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
I'm loving it. For me it's better than Stranger Heads Prevail but not as good as the debut. I'm loving the singles, FXMLDR and Terraformer are my faves, but not too sold on Swarm yet.

It is a long album but I haven't got bored at any point during it. I mean I want to keep listening to it so it's a winner.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #293 on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
After two listens my early impression is that this album's too damn long

Not going to disagree.

I'm loving it. For me it's better than Stranger Heads Prevail but not as good as the debut. I'm loving the singles, FXMLDR and Terraformer are my faves, but not too sold on Swarm yet.

My impression thus far is that is where I will slot it as well.

Terraformer is amazing and FXMLDR is my front runner for song of the year as of now.

As for Swarm:

That being said if I had to condense into one disc just based on my preferences it would look something like this:

1 Wrinkle
2 FXMLDR
3 Son of a Serpent
4 Chromology
5 Everyday Ghosts
6 Birdwatching
7 Geronimo
8 Anchor
9 New Moon
10 Terraformer

Given that it was one of my cut tracks for a single disc, it's obviously not a favorite of mine, and in general I agree it's just not on the same level as the first two singles.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2019, 03:20:43 PM »
I'm not getting the hype for the title track. As of now I think I prefer Swarm to it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2019, 03:36:01 PM »
@ buddy - I have to wonder where you are, then

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »
After two listens my early impression is that this album's too damn long, but still pretty good.

Agreed. And for that reason, I haven't even finished it yet, despite two listens of the first half. Give me 55 mins and I am a happy camper, but whatever.

So I am still digesting it honestly, but so far I feel very positive about it. I really love the first half for sure. Gotta have more time with the 2nd half though.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:59 AM »
Just listened to Swarm on my crappy puter speakers at work.  I've already downloaded Terraformer on my phone.  So traffic home tonight should be interesting.  Quite the unique sound, looking forward to giving them a whirl.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »
Been spinning this one a lot, I feel like they had really good single choices this time around as I like all of those quite a bit (swarm a bit less than the other two but ehh)
Life of Vermin is another favorite, and Chromology is a pretty jammin instrumental
Still plan to give this plenty more listens, especially considering its length, but. Yeah. Good album, unsurprisingly

Offline Mladen

« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
I started getting into these guys this month and liked Stranger heads more than the debut. The choruses are strong as well as the vocals, and I am also enjoying the occasional instrumental craziness.

Checking out the new one now.  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #300 on: July 23, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »
Chromology, Terraformer, and Anchor are my favorites so far but everything on here is really solid with Swarm being the only track that I feel is a bit subpar.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #301 on: July 23, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
Y'all are really underappreciating Swarm here. It's got some killer riffs, a catchy chorus, and arguably the most energy out of any song on the record. What's not to like?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2019, 01:50:42 AM »
So Thursday I was hoping to score a day ticket to go see Coheed and Cambria at a nearby festival. Unfortunately I wasn't able to but by that point I was hell bent on going to see some live music.

Luckily I remembered that Thank You Scientist were playing a headline gig (although it was a bit of a drive). I ended up getting in for £11, which is a friggin' steal.

They were pretty great on the night, even though they were playing in front of about 150 people in a cellar. It was hot as hell but so was their performance. They were tight, the setlist covered pretty much everything I wanted to hear (except A Salesman's Guide to Non-existence), Sal's vocals were really good and the banter was on point.

It was definitely one of those shows where seeing them live made me appreciate how great they are. I mean I already love the new album but I've got a love for songs I wasn't too sold on (Chromology being one), after witnessing them in person.

It was also sad to know that a band playing their type of music will unlikely get as big as they deserve. Furthermore, the fact that they are a 7 piece makes me worry for how much money they make each, on tour.

I'll still be recommending them to everyone I can though  :metal

tl;dr

They were great live!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2019, 01:52:53 AM »
i've seen 'em live three times so far and plan to catch them whenever they're in town, 'cause hell yeah

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2019, 01:54:57 AM »
I wanted to buy some merch to support them but the new album on vinyl was £35. I just didn't have enough on me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2019, 06:17:23 AM »
i've seen 'em live three times so far and plan to catch them whenever they're in town, 'cause hell yeah

How are they live? I’ve had a few chances in the past but missed them

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: August 17, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
i think the fact that i have seen them live three times should speak to how good they are live

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
It doesn’t. You could have seen them live by accident

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
It doesn’t. You could have seen them live by accident

:rollin I love this post!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
It's true though...I've seen Mr. Big like 5 or 6 times, all of them when they were opening for Rush. If it wasn't for General Admission, I'd have skipped them every time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:57 PM »
It's true though...I've seen Mr. Big like 5 or 6 times, all of them when they were opening for Rush. If it wasn't for General Admission, I'd have skipped them every time.

Indeed. I saw Into Eternity three times opening for Dream Theater. Saw Next to None a bunch of times opening for Haken and various Portnoy gigs.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline DTA

« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2019, 04:23:55 AM »
They're pretty fun live. I saw them in a tiny venue in Philly and it honestly felt more like a party/watching my friends band or something rather than an actual show. But they played really well and were entertaining throughout.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
They're pretty fun live. I saw them in a tiny venue in Philly and it honestly felt more like a party/watching my friends band or something rather than an actual show. But they played really well and were entertaining throughout.

That the Milkboy show you're talking about? That was a surprisingly good place for the show. In Philly though I've also seen them at Underground Arts, Ardmore Music Hall, and the Foundry.

Offline DTA

« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »

That the Milkboy show you're talking about? That was a surprisingly good place for the show. In Philly though I've also seen them at Underground Arts, Ardmore Music Hall, and the Foundry.

The Underground Arts show actually with In The Presence Of Wolves (I think?) and a few other bands. I also saw them at the Foundry with Haken but that felt much more "professional" and less like seeing my buddies play a local show. I missed their most recent show at Ardmore unfortunately.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
Still having trouble really getting into the new album. As someone who almost exclusively listens to albums front to back when I'm listening to music, it's just a little bit too much for me to be honest. I'm never really not enjoying what I'm hearing, but it all just kind of blends together by the end. I'd probably be enjoying it as an album more if it was a good 15-20 minutes shorter.
Photobucket sucks.