Author Topic: Thank You Scientist  (Read 35604 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Thank You Scientist
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
i was worried that I might not recognize the one I saw live, but no, it's definitely Caverns

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
Sweeeeeeet! Listening to the album stream now!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Am I right in thinking the preorders are being shipped on friday?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
Just finished the stream of the whole album. Its solid. I feel like maps of nonexistent places is a stronger album though. Still happy to have new material.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2016, 08:23:09 AM »
Just finished the stream of the whole album. Its solid. I feel like maps of nonexistent places is a stronger album though. Still happy to have new material.

That's the sense I got as well. Granted, their material takes a while to sink in and fully appreciate, but no songs jumped out at me to be the quality of Blood on the Radio.

I really liked the album, but it'll take some time to sink in and compare to Maps.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2016, 06:15:54 AM »
I just heard a few songs from this band yesterday. It was some of the best music I have ever heard. I'm gonna have to check out more of their stuff.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2016, 06:39:59 AM »
The new album is up on Spotify! I forgot it came out today, well I guess I know what I'll be listening to at work this morning...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2016, 07:03:19 AM »
no songs jumped out at me to be the quality of Blood on the Radio.
Same here, no shame in that though because Blood on the Radio might just be (one of) the best song(s) I've heard in the last few years.

Going to give this album some more listens now that it's on Spotify, still only heard it once but it sounded really really solid, maybe even better than maps imo.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
I've listened to this album twice through this morning and it's really freaking good. My initial impression is that it's definitely overall on level with Maps.

no songs jumped out at me to be the quality of Blood on the Radio.
Same here, no shame in that though because Blood on the Radio might just be (one of) the best song(s) I've heard in the last few years.

Going to give this album some more listens now that it's on Spotify, still only heard it once but it sounded really really solid, maybe even better than maps imo.

I still think there isn't one song on this album that jumps out to be the quality of BotR but the whole thing is still is incredibly-consistently stellar.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »
Gonna give the new album a listen tomorrow probably. But before I do, I've noticed that A Salesman's Guide to Non-existence doesn't seem to get much love. It's easily my favourite track off Maps, especially when coupled with the intro. It was what first got me hooked on the band a few years ago and still gets me every time. Don't think I've really seen any praise for the song on here at all, I might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:30:24 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
jeez guys BotR is only like #3 on maps

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
It is at worst #2.

Really digging the new album so far. Besides the singles which probably stand out because I know them, Somnambulist and Caverns stand out for me. Maybe the first songs of theirs I find myself headbanging to.

...my name is Araragi.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Another incredible album by this really astonishing band! :metal
My first impression is that this album has a very similar structure of Maps and it's a good thing. Although it's too soon to compare to Maps. Anyway if there's a "better" album, it's by a slight margin.
From Caverns to The Amateur... the album is totally VERY impressive! :hefdaddy :metal :eek
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Listened to it today. Enjoyable, very similar to Maps.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
Fantastic album - not sure it'll end up being quite as masterful as Maps, but superb still.

Early favourite after two or three listens is Psychopomp. What an outrageously cool song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
Early favourite after two or three listens is Psychopomp. What an outrageously cool song.

Psychopomp is awesome!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
The intro and outro are amazing. They remind me why I love early Queen albums so much.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
Just to add, for those who loved Maps and the last one, Perils of Time Travel is really a strong EP, a great debut, totally worth the listen/purchase IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »
yeah the EP is cool too, not as strong as maps imo
i should spin that again, I haven't in a while lol
so glad to have a physical copy of it tbh

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »
I received my signed CD and T shirt today!  :metal

There was a post card in the package that was signed by the band as well. Someone wrote, "Is this infected?" on it.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
I received my signed CD and T shirt today!  :metal

There was a post card in the package that was signed by the band as well. Someone wrote, "Is this infected?" on it.  :lol

Not received mine yet but apparently it's been shipped. Where in the world are you?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
U.S., Utah
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:19 AM »
U.S., Utah

I'm across the pond so probably be a little while longer for me  :tdwn

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Just listened to the new album for the first time. Very good. The only trouble was the hardcore/emo vocalist. I think they would be better as an instrumental band. His vocals sound really recycled, unoriginal. Not that he's not a good singer, just not my taste.

Not surprisingly, my favorite track is the instrumental one "Rube Goldberg Variations".

Offline ytsejam58

Re: Thank You Scientistracks are
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2016, 02:31:07 AM »
Oh. Here's the TYS thread.
I have been binge listening to this album end to end and pretty much my favorite tracks are
Prelude, Caverns, Mr Invisible, Blue Auromatic, rube Goldburg Variations, Psycochomp, arsonist's handbook, and The last one. The other songs have their cool moments, like the end to Need More Input is just beautiful.
Going to see them in Pittsburg in less than a week and I'm so excited. Ive been chatting with them on Facebook and they are actually pretty cool about getting to know their fans. They were telling me that one of the guy's wife went to school in Carlisle and that there is a diner they liked to go to. Being from Carlisle that was really awesome to hear :)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Thank You Scientistracks are
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »
Oh. Here's the TYS thread.
I have been binge listening to this album end to end and pretty much my favorite tracks are
Prelude, Caverns, Mr Invisible, Blue Auromatic, rube Goldburg Variations, Psycochomp, arsonist's handbook, and The last one. The other songs have their cool moments, like the end to Need More Input is just beautiful.
Going to see them in Pittsburg in less than a week and I'm so excited. Ive been chatting with them on Facebook and they are actually pretty cool about getting to know their fans. They were telling me that one of the guy's wife went to school in Carlisle and that there is a diner they liked to go to. Being from Carlisle that was really awesome to hear :)

Totally didn't know they were playing Pittsburgh this weekend. I might be there as well.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »
I just saw these guys last night in Pittsburg. You really need to see them live! there is so much energy in their performance and they connect really well with their audience. I haven't learned everyone's name yet but during Mr. Invisible, the singer encouraged us all to dance along and he even got down and danced with us. There was a therimine note in Caverns and when the bassist hit it everyone lost it! I only know their Stanger Heads Prevail but I heard plenty of older stuff too and I am really looking forward to picking up their previous albums now! Such an amazing show. I kind of got the impression that the drummer didn't like me trying to airdrum all his parts but the lead singer definitely fed off the energy we were giving singing with him. Every song was fun and every member was solid in their performance. I should be really thankful that I got to see them in this stage when they can still connect with their audience like this. Being in the upstairs of a small bar, it felt like a real personal concert. But I think in 5-10 years they are going to be playing in some big venues. They and their music deserve it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
yeah, they were a blast live, every member of the band was really into it

i'm also really glad i got to see caverns live way before the album came out, 'cause it's killer

honestly rn the run from caverns thru a wolf in cheap clothing are my favorites off the album but rube goldberg variations is pretty strong too
i've listened to it like, 3-4 times total though? so

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
Great band. Saw them open for Coheed on their In Keeping Secrets Neverender tour. Loved Maps, and the new album is pretty solid musically, but there's something up with the production. It sounds a little lifeless, like parts that are supposed to be more intense sound way to similar to the rest of the song, so there's a lack of impact at those moments.

I'm excited to see them live next month, because I'm sure the new songs will come across better in person.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Great band. Saw them open for Coheed on their In Keeping Secrets Neverender tour. Loved Maps, and the new album is pretty solid musically, but there's something up with the production. It sounds a little lifeless, like parts that are supposed to be more intense sound way to similar to the rest of the song, so there's a lack of impact at those moments.

I'm excited to see them live next month, because I'm sure the new songs will come across better in person.

I guess you own the original release of Maps. There is a remaster of Maps that has the same issues you mentioned, maybe even a bit worse than Heads. Sadly, this seems to be the direction they want their sound to evolve to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
Just stopping in to say I will soon see TYS 5 nights in a row. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »

I guess you own the original release of Maps. There is a remaster of Maps that has the same issues you mentioned, maybe even a bit worse than Heads. Sadly, this seems to be the direction they want their sound to evolve to.

I listened to the original release a bunch of times, and was about to buy it off iTunes before they took it off everything to prep for the re-release. There are some of those issues on the reissue but I don't notice them, while with Stranger Things Prevail it really hindered my enjoyment of the music the first time around.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »

I am guessing you are going to be seeing them at the filmore next wednesday?

I may go, not 100% sure yet though

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »

No sir, will be seeing Buffalo (this Wednesday) through Boston.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »

No sir, will be seeing Buffalo (this Wednesday) through Boston.

Ah, ok. Just curious