Author Topic: CYNIC  (Read 53232 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: CYNIC
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
Sean Reinert really channeling his inner Portnoy.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
That's heartbreaking, Cynic was a magnificent band. In love with everything they've ever done, including KBTFU. Praying Paul keeps making music.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
Sean's probably just butt hurt that Paul's never hurt Sean's butt.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #284 on: September 13, 2015, 03:08:32 AM »

As much of a boob as Sean sounds like in this situation, can we not resort to jokes like these.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I really feel sorry for Sean Malone. He's in an awful situation. As Reinart said, Malone is friends with both of Paul and Sean R. So this breakup/we're still Cynic must be tough for SM.

In my view, seems like both Reinart and Paul are at fault here. One from not getting into the business side of things earlier and Paul for not being prepared for the gigs. Now, I haven't seen footage from their Japan tour, so I can't comment on Paul's playing quality. I don't know...it sounds that both of this issues can be solved in time for the European tour but Sean R, imo, seems like he's overreacting. Or at least not handling this situation, in a more internal fashion. The fact that he doesn't want to talk with Paul directly is very concerning.

Now if Paul is indeed writing 80% of the music, he should be paid more. If Sean R feels that he's getting screwed contractually and that Paul is "doing shady practices" (as Sean R said), then pay for an audit or something.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:55:17 AM by goo-goo »

Calvin6s

« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »

As much of a boob as Sean sounds like in this situation, can we not resort to jokes like these.

My initial reaction is to agree with you.  But long term, the best way to normalize something is to take away the protected status and make it fair game for jokes just like everything else. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
New Cynic Track

https://cyniconline.bandcamp.com/track/humanoid

WOAH. :hefdaddy

This track's awesome! The new drummer sounds great too. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
Thats a nice track. Love the vocals and the mix.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Really liked the new song. Any news on a release date?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #291 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
Just listened to Carbon-Based Anatomy for this first time and damn! Not what I was expecting at all but it was great. On my second listen and I feel a Cynic kick coming on  :heart

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »
Just heard a drum playthrough from the new drummer, never heard or knew him before. Some really relaxed and tasteful drumming and the song is cool.  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT5ur4AuMqg
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
Just heard a drum playthrough from the new drummer, never heard or knew him before. Some really relaxed and tasteful drumming and the song is cool.  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT5ur4AuMqg

Nice  :tup

I'm actually listening to Focus as I type  :metal

Online DT89

« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
I'm thrilled to announce that I've been working with Paul Masvidal on official guitar transcriptions! This is a huge honor for me, Paul/Cynic have been one of my biggest influences for a long time. The book is being released in early 2019 via Sheet Happens Publishing. I also transcribed their newest song, Humanoid, which is up for free download.

Here's all the info: https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/columns/21/cynic-humanoid-freebie-paul-masvidal-on-the-house

I plan on doing a youtube video going into more detail on the project, let me know if you guys have any questions!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »
I'm thrilled to announce that I've been working with Paul Masvidal on official guitar transcriptions! This is a huge honor for me, Paul/Cynic have been one of my biggest influences for a long time. The book is being released in early 2019 via Sheet Happens Publishing. I also transcribed their newest song, Humanoid, which is up for free download.

Here's all the info: https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/columns/21/cynic-humanoid-freebie-paul-masvidal-on-the-house

I plan on doing a youtube video going into more detail on the project, let me know if you guys have any questions!
That's awesome!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online DT89

« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2019, 07:59:51 PM »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
bump.

Paul Masvidal's has new albums coming:

https://www.mythicalhumanvessel.com/

"The Spaces"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU80Lxjiksg

"Mythical" available everywhere -  5/31/19 

Mythical Human Vessel is a trilogy of records written and performed by the songwriter and guitarist Paul Masvidal. They are the first independent solo releases on his label, Masvidalien Records, of which the first collection, Mythical, will drop May 31, 2019.

link: listen.masvidalien.com/thespaces

Best known for leading the influential progressive rock group Cynic, Masvidal recorded embryonic demos of these tightly-crafted songs over a decade ago. Drawing on influences from musicians John Lennon, Brian Eno, Chet Baker, Russill Paul and Elliott Smith to visual artists, Mark Rothko, Ai Weiwei, Hilma af Klimt, and Cai Guo-Qiang, the songs embrace concise forms and catchy melodies in spite of their often painful subject matters of loss, depression, and heartache.

At the center of Masvidal’s experiment is the use of Isochronic tones, a 'brain-entrainment' technology. Isochronics are said to produce bio-chemical reactions in the body that increase serotonin, alleviate depression and stress, improve focus, and aid in restful sleep, similar to the effects of exposure to negative ions in nature.

Through its incorporation of Isochronic tones, Mythical Human Vessel is intended as “an inherently relaxing listening experience, and adding the tones multiplied the benefits,” Masvidal says. “More serotonin for all!"

Throughout all three volumes of Mythical Human Vessel, the sound of undulating and sweeping frequencies in slow and rapid succession act as a subliminal agent to affect the listener positively and help to create a deeper connection to the songs themselves.

Mythical Human Vessel was mixed and produced by Warren Riker. The Isochronic tones were designed by Dr. Stephane Pigeon, creator of the Brian Eno-celebrated website MyNoise.

Masvidal is currently working with experimental artists Greymar to develop Mythical Human Vessel into an immersive live experience using evocative imagery, storytelling and technology as part of an experiential journey into heart-opening and multi-dimensional landscapes.

For more info visit mythicalhumanvessel.com

Online DT89

« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
Super excited to announce the official guitar transcriptions for Traced in Air! This album was (and still is) life-changing, and I had a blast dissecting it and transcribing every layer and nuance. Available to order 10/29 at https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-kE-iAXDB/

Online DT89

« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2020, 12:14:09 PM »
Sigh... :'(

RIP Sean Reinert

Offline DTA

« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Damn...another huge drum influence of mine is gone. Human's drumming is unreal. Oddly enough, I just played along to Suicide Machine on drums for the first time in years on Thursday night. I hate speculating but "found unresponsive" at 48 years old seems like code-word for a drug-related issue.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
man.

48 years old. Only 48?

here's a recent feature on YouTube with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1CcR7GoNc0

I love Focus especially.

Rest in Peace.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
Damn, that sucks. One more reason for me to give a listen to the remix of Traced In Air which I just learned came out a few months ago.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
What the hell?! RIP Sean.  Only 48.  Just wow.

Apparently found unresponsive at home and no cause of death confirmed yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
Damn, that sucks. One more reason for me to give a listen to the remix of Traced In Air which I just learned came out a few months ago.

Gave it a listen. Now that is a Remix. Entirely new Bass track, which is neat to hear. Certain sounds are brought up front more that were barely audible. Overall it's worth buying again, which I'm going to do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bentower

« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2020, 01:15:40 AM »
I was never a fan of Traced In Air, but I'll give that a listen. Thanks for the heads-up!

Since the news of Sean's passing I've listened to:

Death - Human
Cynic - Focus
Aghora - Aghora

and I have Carbon-Based Anatomy and the two Gordian Knot albums on cue. He left us an impressive body of work.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:23:51 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2020, 02:53:26 AM »
I didn't know there was a remix of Traced in Air.  Definitely have to check it out as I love the album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2020, 03:40:12 AM »
Can't say he was an influence to me as a drummer because I discovered him much later in life. When I hear his drumming especially what he did during the 90s I can definitely understand why he was so influental, way ahead of his time. He played very diffrently than alot of drummers at that time with the mix of fusion and metal. Great stuff!
I'm sad I didn't discover Sean and Cynic earlier in life.
Reminds of how ahead of it's time early Meshuggah was, although diffrent styles of course.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »

Gave it a listen. Now that is a Remix. Entirely new Bass track, which is neat to hear. Certain sounds are brought up front more that were barely audible. Overall it's worth buying again, which I'm going to do.

Woah, sounds like they completed removed the growls. That's... interesting. They really didn't add all that much to the original, sure, but that seems a little excessive. I guess if they really bothered you for whatever reason this is the version for you.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »
WTF?  Just shocking.  50!  :'(

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »
This is gutting news. Sean was an insane bassist.

Hell, this year's been rough for Cynic fans.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2020, 11:04:41 PM »
Damn. RIP to the other Sean as well. Such a harsh year, that's one of the classic rhythm sections entirely gone.

Listening to Gordian Knot's self-titled as we speak. To be followed by Focus of course.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2020, 04:42:55 AM »
Okay. Now I’m done with 2020. I’m in shock. My heart is in pieces. Sean Malone was a bassist I always admired, and as I got older he slowly became my favorite of all time. The way he played bass changed the way I listened to music.
In our wedding, Courtney and I listened to Grace while taking communion for the first time as a married couple. And taking communion was the very first thing we actually did as a husband and wife. The beauty of that instrumental always reminds me of looking my beautiful wife in the eyes and our commitment to our faith. I’m absolutely crushed.
I hope you and Reinert are already jamming up in heaven. RIP Sean.