Author Topic: Twelve Foot Ninja  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Twelve Foot Ninja
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
Anyone else listen to these guys? They just released their debut album Silent Machine and so far it's definitely one of my favorite albums I've heard this year.

Twelve Foot Ninja are an Australian alternative metal group. These guys bring to mind Faith No More and Mike Patton stylings alongside Meshuggah-style riffing with the added melody and alternative prog of bands like Dead Letter Circus. Not to mention the funk, reggae, and blues inspiration in several songs as well. These guys bend genres seamlessly, and their music is heavy, melodic, engaging, and fun. Check out their song "Mother Sky" here and their two eps here.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Twelve Foot Ninja
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
I can say I'm a fan of these guys, I was turned onto them by the website Metalsucks, who ran a piece on them, and then said one of the guys from Periphery absolutely loves these guys. They're a pretty fun listen.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
The chorus in Deluge is total balls to the wall. And I love the bridge in Silent Machine. This album is owning me.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
COME ON SOMEBODY ELSE HAS TO LISTEN TO THESE GUYS :(

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
COME ON SOMEBODY ELSE HAS TO LISTEN TO THESE GUYS :(
This is how I feel every time I start band thread  :sadpanda:
You'd think a few more here listened to them, very faith no Morey in a good way

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I am indeed interested, I shall give them a listen and report back.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
Pretty cool. I'll definitely delve more into them before too long here. I definitely enjoy the interplay of musical styles.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »
Well it's been too long but if you all haven't checked out their debut "Silent Machine" as of yet you definitely should. Really, really good album. They set a record for a fan/crowd funded video at $52,600 and put together this video (with guest spots from Periphery!)... Trolls beware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_knwTUVbE&feature=youtu.be

Calvin6s

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
Absolutely love this band.  There are bands I really like and then there are bands that I call "milestone" bands that make me want to find as much music as I can by them.  And then I need to find more bands with similar musical traits so I don't leave that new milestone high.

Late last year they put out One Hand Killing (part of the new album process) and they really proved to me they weren't a one album (and 1 EP) hit wonder.
video here

I've always heard their stuff on Sirius Octane first, so the music just captivates me.  But I must confess that their videos entertain me where most music videos do not.

This band hits me on so many levels.

The originality (not any one thing, but the complete mix)
The strong vocals.  On both the melodic and harmonic level.
The modern, heavy guitar AND the clean, funky, reggae bits
The bass that sounds like it has its own contribution and not just an octave pedal of the guitar
The synth/key stuff they sometime bring in that actually adds a whole new level to the song as opposed to just being there

One Hand Killing will most likely end up remaining my favorite song of 2015 for a long time.  Not too shabby considering it wasn't even part of an album (yet).

It would bum me out if these guy's don't put out at least another decade's worth of music.

As far as previous stuff, the OP nailed it with Mother Sky.  Just like One Hand Killing, the music is great, but the music video adds a whole new level (mostly just good laughs)
Kingdom
Shuriken
Ain't That a Bitch
Those are some good music videos on YouTube. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 01:50:57 AM »
Silent Machine is a great album. A ton of fun and some really unique stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jester

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 06:07:23 AM »
Looks like there are two Twelve Foot Ninja threads, but I guess this is the official one?

The new album Outlier is amazing.  Didn't realize they had a 2008 album called New Dawn, so I'll have to check that out once I'm off my Outlier high.  TFN is quickly becoming my favorite new band.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
Looks like there are two Twelve Foot Ninja threads, but I guess this is the official one?

The new album Outlier is amazing.  Didn't realize they had a 2008 album called New Dawn, so I'll have to check that out once I'm off my Outlier high.  TFN is quickly becoming my favorite new band.

It's my fault that I opened a new thread without checking there was another one, there's no official thread.
 I made the same thing, I listened non-stop for two weeks Outlier and than I checked out New Dawn. It seemed a good ep for what I remember. Then the new Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold and Dillinger album came out and I haven't listened anymore to it.

Offline Jester

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
Really liking the songs:
Invincible
Point of You
One Hand Killing (although this song has been around for quite some time)

There isn't really a single song on the album I don't like, so picking favorites was pretty difficult.  I love everything, but great vocals gets me every time.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.