Author Topic: Pop music  (Read 1217 times)

Offline r0cken

Pop music
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »
Anyone cares to admit that they listen to pop music? Maybe you like some awful, embarrassing, massively commercial tunes, or some quality indie-pop? Admit to any guilty pop pleasures, right here.  ;)

Offline Ħ

Re: Pop music
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
Yeah but I'm not ashamed of it. I've been listening to If Today Was Your Last Day (Nickelback) and Titanium (David Guetta) a lot recently.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
a-Ha, Eiffel 65 and the like are examples of what "pop music" can be. As far as indie-pop goes, I like Passion Pit and Beach House.

I got a Young MC CD a few days ago, and I've really enjoyed it.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »
Anything on the top 40 is abysmal, but I like me some good pop music, whenever it pops up.

I've actually been trying to find some good female fronted metal bands with pop tendencies like Nemesea. Not a whole lot of luck. Either they can't right a melody, or they have some grunter ruin their songs.

I don't really search for pop music, but if something good surfaces, I might not change the station.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
When it comes to new pop, I couldn't even name most of these popular artists. I just find zero interest in what is currently popular.
But '80s pop? That I'd go for. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
A commercial stamp on a song or artist dosen't automaticly give me a reason not to listen to that specific song or artist. If i like the music i'm perfectly fine listening to it no matter who it is. *rant.exe

So yes i do listen to Pop music.  :biggrin:

Maybe?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline r0cken

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Ħ, Nickelback isn't pop, as much as one would hate to admit it. :)

I love Eros Ramazzotti, and know all his discography by heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOKcxIujgE

Wet Wet Wet is a definite favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnrTchyYVQ

Marina & The Diamonds - a relatively new indie-pop singer-songwriter. She has a great voice, she's quirky, catchy and very addictive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOhiDjak1k

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
I can listen to Pop-music, and I do listen to Pop-music. Like with all genres there's good and bad artists to be found everywhere.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »
Ħ, Nickelback isn't pop, as much as one would hate to admit it. :)
For some reason I read the OP as if it was talking about mainstream, popular music. But you're right.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
I don't think I have any guilty pleasures whatsoever. This is because the only pop music I like is from before 2000 (even '96-'99 is something of a sparse wasteland) and anything I like from before 2000 is good enough in my opinion that I have zero reluctance for anyone to know I like it.

I still even catch myself listening to Ace of Base's album, the Bridge, at least once a year all the way through. Aside from that, I like the majority of top 40 from the 80s through the first half of '96. I know that sounds strangely specific but the middle of '96 involved a somewhat distinct transition from post-grunge and generally good early 90s style top 40 toward gimmicky fly-by-night ska bands and limp, lifeless acts like The Refreshments (they did the King of the Hill theme), Everclear, and others.

It just seemed like the top 40 was suddenly wiped clear of any new bands that were capable of making music that had any realistic passion or interesting facets to it. I think early '98 was possibly the final nail in the coffin for me. By then Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls were at their commercial peak and the rest of the Billboard spotlight was occupied by lightweights like Tonic, Third Eye Blind, Eve 6, Blink 182, and Semisonic, and not an ounce of balls, talent, or creativity was to be found in that barren soundscape as far as I was concerned.

Amidst all this were three diamonds in the rough for me, Days of the New, Creed, and Jimmie's Chicken Shack. DotN had one of the finest debut albums I've ever heard to this day (pure acoustic bliss with a brooding, bleak vibe that perfectly embodied what the stripped-down, earnest 90s were all about.) JCS' album, Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope is perfection through diversity in its truest form. For an album with 12 songs, I'd struggle to even lump any 5 of them together to convince someone it's the same artist (rock, funk, latin, Celtic, ska, and hard rock/metal are all represented.)

Lastly, people bash Creed a lot but the funny thing about that is, just like the Metallica haters who crawled out of the woodwork during the Napster debacle, most of Creed's haters were never even fans in the first place and piled on cuz it was the chic thing to do at the time and many never even knew anything from their debut besides My Own Prison and What's This Life For. Top to bottom that album is dripping with guitar work that ranges from melodic to metal to brilliantly soothing and/or uplifting. Just because Scott Stapp's a prima donna dick is no reason to ignore the excellence on display throughout the album.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline r0cken

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
I like the majority of top 40 from the 80s through the first half of '96.
Even Macarena? :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
I was pleasantly neutral toward it. Back then pop music wasn't at the nauseating level that the Bibers and Kanyes of today have achieved. It was more of a whimsical facepalm back then.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
I like P!nk.  Enough to stylize her name, even. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
Gotta love the Spice Girls, especially their live shows where the band plays amazing intros/endings while they change or do extended outro dance numbers.

Can't say I love anything else, other than a few songs I enjoy here and then.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD