Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 63315 times)

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #980 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
Just got back from Vegas and I hate my state even more now. Out west I went into a dispensary and paid $112 for edibles, $26 of which was taxes. Meanwhile, in CT, our legislators just voted last week to not pursue legalization at this time (again). Massachusetts is going to be in full swing come July, and my state is going to miss out on a ton of potential revenue. I'll be able to grab breakfast at the Cosmic Omelette, get over the border, and be back in my living room in about 2 hours.

I hear ya.  The taxes are ridiculously high to buy this stuff as a user, but some states are being a bit smart about actually using this money to help fund the state. 

Here in NJ, they are expanding the medical program which makes a lot of sense and seems to be the path to legalization although Murphy is saying this has no effect on it.  I kind of think it does because it gives people more access slowly.  Anxiety and migraines open lots of doors for getting the medical stuff.  Not sure how exactly you can qualify though but I've had issues with migraines beofre and almost everyones had a moment of anxiety in their life.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/governor/2018/03/27/nj-medical-marijuana-program-expand-says-gov-phil-murphy-legal-weed-push-continues/461377002/
For the life of me I don't get smoking grass as a treatment for anxiety. But hey, who am I to argue with a good dodge.  :lol

It helps me with anxiety in the sense that there are nights where I will get home and not be able to stop thinking about bad stuff at work. Taking a couple bong rips helps me to stop thinking about all the bad stuff at work.

I will just say that the weed affects people different ways.  It helps me with anxiety although I don't really suffer from it, but I totally have the same thing as Chino, if I were having issues, it really helps take my mind off it.
Yeah, I can certainly dig that. It definitely helps my mind to wander. It's mostly a matter of shaking off the initial rush, which occasionally ramps me up pretty hard. Fifteen minutes later I'm usually in a pretty good spot. It's just not what I think of as an antianxiolytic.

That's me.  I'm not at all anti-weed - just the opposite, in fact - but it's not a relaxer the way a good stiff drink is.   I wonder if it's because I don't smoke all that much and if I do, it's usually in a stressful situation? 
In a stressful situation is the last place I want to smoke. One thing I absolutely hate is smoking before or during work. Doesn't matter what the work is. I know plenty of people who are the opposite, but having an obligation when high really sucks, no matter what the obligation is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #981 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I'll be damned

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-marijuana-legislation-hits-committee-deadline-20180405-story.html

For the first time in the Connecticut legislature, a recreational marijuana bill has made it out a committee and is headed to the full General Assembly for consideration.

The appropriations committee voted 27-24 Thursday to approve a bill to legalize marijuana.

"This bill deserves an opportunity for further conversation and to get into the fine points of what hat conversation would be," said Sen. Paul Formica, a Republican from East Lyme and a committee co-chair said.

The legislation calls for developing a plan for the legalization and regulation of cannabis and it also seeks to provide substance abuse treatment, prevention, education and awareness programs.

The bill would require the state officials to develop the legalization and regulation plan in “the most cost-effective means.”

The completed plan would be due Oct. 1 and would then be submitted to the General Assembly.

It's still a long ways off, but I can't believe our legislature made it this far.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #982 on: April 05, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #983 on: April 05, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
:metal :metal

I don't live in Connecticut , but still  :metal :metal
Don't play with me, cause you're playing with fire

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #984 on: April 06, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
From a pragmatic perspective, it's a long time coming. 

I support this.  My stepdaughter just dropped to her knees and prayed for the first time since I've known her. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #985 on: April 06, 2018, 08:34:07 AM »
The sad irony, is that if it does get passed in my state, the company that I work for is probably going to put out some policy forbiding it for employees. They have already forbid any new employees from being able to smoke cigarettes and they are now drug testing for that as part of new hires application process.

Now, I am grandfathered in and exempt from the cigarette policy, but cigarettes aren't what I'm interested in. I could see them just banning weed right from day one.

And since it stays in your system for quite a while, I really wouldn't want to any chances. Since I don't want to jeopardize my livelihood.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #986 on: April 06, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
That's unfortunate but not really something you can control other than follow the rules or change jobs.  That sucks.  And personally, I don't like cigarettes at all, but that's crazy to test for cigarette usage.  But that's their choice.  It's well known in my company that if they drug tested, they wouldn't be able to compete for the best IT talent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: April 06, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »
That's unfortunate but not really something you can control other than follow the rules or change jobs.  That sucks.  And personally, I don't like cigarettes at all, but that's crazy to test for cigarette usage.  But that's their choice.  It's well known in my company that if they drug tested, they wouldn't be able to compete for the best IT talent.

It's not really, though.   It's a health issue. They probably pay more for their healthcare contributions based on the number of employees that smoke (it's not as simple as just "smokers pay more") and I know when I was at GE, there was a push to make sure manufacturing employees were fit, because it cost money when they were out sick.   

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #988 on: April 06, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »

The FBI and Pentagon have this problem at the moment in IT and IT security. You can't have used cannabis within the last three years if you want to apply. They're losing all the top talent to silicon valley.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #989 on: April 11, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
This is kind of interesting, as someone who was opposed to legalization

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics/boehner-cannabis-company-board/index.html

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #990 on: April 13, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/04/12/cuomo-lays-groundwork-for-legalizing-marijuana/

“The facts have changed,” Cuomo said during a stop in Brooklyn to spotlight new subway equipment.

“You have states that have legalized it now…. It is no longer a question of legal or illegal. It’s legal in Massachusetts. It may be legal in New Jersey. Which means for all intents and purposes it’s going to be here anyway.”

Go NY!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #991 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
Let the dominos fall

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
I'm all for it, don't get me wrong, but the psychological aspect of this is interesting.

I wish this would carry over to other things, other issues, where people would take a step back from their breathless partisan screaming, re-evaluate the facts and the landscape (political, cultural, and sociological) and have the courage to revise their thinking.    I'm not sure I need to instigate by populating this with the specific topics, but just the concept.   "Flip flopper" is such a political pejorative these days, and that has to change or we're never going to truly progress.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #993 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »
Stadler that could be a good topic, in and of itself.  I was just reading an article about a woman who was an anti-GMO reporter for many years when she decided to really research the subject and it completely did a 180 after looking at the science.  It is an interesting concept to explore.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #994 on: April 13, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »
Yeah, somewhere along the line flexibility became a sign of weakness, and rigidity was a selling point. I doubt he started the trend, but it first became really apparent with "steady leadership in times of change."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #995 on: April 13, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with changing your opinion, especially in light of newer information.  Some things are much easier to chance your stance on though, such as marijuana, than say abortion. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/us/new-york-de-blasio-marijuana/index.html

NYC Mayor de Blasio tells police to end arrests for marijuana smoking

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
We've talked alot about Marijuana in this thread, but how to you guys feel about other legalization of other things,

psilocybin mushrooms in particular?

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/denver-voters-magic-mushrooms-legal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
I used to be pretty anti-legalization of marijuana, but my stance has changed over the years. I have never been in to it, so my personal use or preference has never been a factor. This generally extends to other drugs as well, none of which I have ever taken. My consumption has always strictly been limited to bourbon and long island ice tea. If you can manage to wake up in the morning and go to work and take care of yourself and your family, do whatever you like!

I do however believe we need to keep our consumption of drugs in check somehow, lest we become a society of the below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fr9A4ZDxCg
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
We've talked alot about Marijuana in this thread, but how to you guys feel about other legalization of other things,

psilocybin mushrooms in particular?

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/denver-voters-magic-mushrooms-legal
Decriminalization is fine. Legalization and taxation would be a very big problem. People who want to do shrooms and know what they're doing aren't a problem, and they're already doing their thing. Shrooms really shouldn't be normalized to the point that newbs are wolfing them down on a dare, though. They're just too unpredictable for that sort of consumption.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1000 on: May 28, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
I consider marijuana similar to alcohol in that they both mostly affect "mood" and impair mental and motor function.  Obviously they're quite different in some other, important ways.  But if alcohol is legal for people above a certain age, then marijuana should be as well.

Mushrooms are hallucinogens, and that's just plain fucking dangerous.  You're not just fucking with people's judgement, which can be bad enough, but altering their reality.  I have no problem with mushrooms staying illegal.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1001 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
Mushrooms are hallucinogens, and that's just plain fucking dangerous. You're not just fucking with people's judgement, which can be bad enough, but altering their reality.  I have no problem with mushrooms staying illegal.

I would still argue that neither are as dangerous as alcohol. Maybe if you got behind the wheel of a car they'd be worse, but if all you're doing is hanging out in a back yard, anyone on mushrooms will wake up in the morning just fine.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1002 on: May 29, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Mushrooms are hallucinogens, and that's just plain fucking dangerous. You're not just fucking with people's judgement, which can be bad enough, but altering their reality.  I have no problem with mushrooms staying illegal.

I would still argue that neither are as dangerous as alcohol. Maybe if you got behind the wheel of a car they'd be worse, but if all you're doing is hanging out in a back yard, anyone on mushrooms will wake up in the morning just fine.
We're looking at different types of danger, though. I disagree with Orbert that hallucinogens are inherently dangerous. They do however have the ability to freak some people out pretty badly. While alcohol will be more harmful to most people, most of the time, shrooms may cause more severe problems with a few people. Most people don't get drunk and run down the freeway naked until the cops taze them to death. It has been known to happen to people tripping, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: May 29, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
Admittedly I'm disadvantaged here since I've only ever drank and smoked weed, but I lean toward legalization across the board.   I don't mind if people kill themselves (I mean that far more positively than it sounds) and so you might as well standardize the product and get the tax revenue.   I will admit that el Barto and Obert have given me something to think about.   Maybe there are controlled circumstances where you can do some of these things? 

But my take on it is, if there are people doing it illegally anyway, might as well legalize it, and spread the benefits of that around. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1004 on: May 29, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
Admittedly I'm disadvantaged here since I've only ever drank and smoked weed, but I lean toward legalization across the board.   I don't mind if people kill themselves (I mean that far more positively than it sounds) and so you might as well standardize the product and get the tax revenue.   I will admit that el Barto and Obert have given me something to think about.   Maybe there are controlled circumstances where you can do some of these things? 

But my take on it is, if there are people doing it illegally anyway, might as well legalize it, and spread the benefits of that around.
The controlled circumstances are simply where you're comfortable. Both location and company.

Realistically, not a whole lot of people are doing these. We're talking about a real niche market here. And this is a good thing. The people who can handle it tend to be the ones interested. What you don't want is for it to become normalized to the point that any dipshit college girl can buy a pack of Psilocybin laffy-taffy thinking it'll be a neat thing to try while out with her besties. It's not and it won't end well. That's why I suggested decriminalization to begin with. Nobody should be in jail for eating shrooms, but they probably shouldn't be commercialized, either.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1005 on: May 29, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
Okay yeah, I guess that's what I was thinking about, but a more reasonable solution.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #1006 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »

The controlled circumstances are simply where you're comfortable. Both location and company.

Realistically, not a whole lot of people are doing these. We're talking about a real niche market here. And this is a good thing. The people who can handle it tend to be the ones interested. What you don't want is for it to become normalized to the point that any dipshit college girl can buy a pack of Psilocybin laffy-taffy thinking it'll be a neat thing to try while out with her besties. It's not and it won't end well. That's why I suggested decriminalization to begin with. Nobody should be in jail for eating shrooms, but they probably shouldn't be commercialized, either.

Well then wouldn't that their individual fault?

No plant should be illegal, yet we all understand and should research the effects.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1008 on: June 20, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
 :yarr

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1009 on: June 20, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm sitting on 10,000 shares of Friday Night Pharmaceutical Company at a $0.42 average. I'm banking on Canada's cannabis industry to make me some serious coin in the next 2 years.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1010 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
I'm sitting on 10,000 shares of Friday Night Pharmaceutical Company at a $0.42 average. I'm banking on Canada's cannabis industry to make me some serious coin in the next 2 years.
Canada pot stock is some highly volatile shit. CRON is at $7.11 right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it hit $6.5 and $8.5 twice each today.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1011 on: June 20, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
Canada pot stock is some highly volatile shit. CRON is at $7.11 right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it hit $6.5 and $8.5 twice each today.

That it is, especially if you're looking to make quick cash. I plan on holding for at least 18 months. Once the industry establishes itself a bit and the infrastructure is fully in place, I expect to see that volatility.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:09:23 PM by Chino »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1012 on: June 22, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »

That it is, especially if you're looking to make quick cash. I plan on holding for at least 18 months. Once the industry establishes itself a bit and the infrastructure is fully in place, I expect to see that volatility.

Speaking of volatility, Friday Night is up 11% today  :lol Debating if I want to sell now and buy back in late Monday after the inevitable pull back. Earnings aren't until the 29th.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1013 on: June 22, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »

Speaking of volatility, Friday Night is up 11% today  :lol Debating if I want to sell now and buy back in late Monday after the inevitable pull back. Earnings aren't until the 29th.
Chronos shot up about 13% yesterday, and promptly gave back about 5 today. Though that only represents a -2.48% day change.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh