Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 71596 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #910 on: January 04, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
Sad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #911 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
The fuck is wrong with this administration? 65%+ of the population favors legal weed. 8 states have legalized it for recreational use. 29 states allow it medically. Our private prison industries must be losing too much money. Fuck Sessions. We might as well be putting our tax dollars in barrels and setting them on fire.

Look, Chino, I'm with you on the weed, believe me.  It should be treated the same as alcohol across the board.

BUT, look at the realities here.   One of the biggest gripes against Eric Holder was that he didn't enforce the law.   He made singular choices to enforce some things and not others, and that's not his job.   Sessions came in to DO HIS JOB.  Enforce the law.   

Now, that's not to say that the law is "right".  It needs to be changed.  But that's Congress, not Trump, and not Sessions.   I am sort of the opposite of Chris; I have a lot of problems with the Trump administration, at least as far as execution goes, but Sessions really isn't one of them.   Change the law, and problem solved, not "ignore the laws that are on the books".   

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Except it's the law in several states already that it's legal, it's a huge tax revenue boon for those places, and Sessions is accomplishing absolutely nothing except hurting those economies and people's jobs. The law is actually nonsensical in this case, especially because even though it's legal (for either medicinal or recreational purposes) throughout much of the country, it's still classified as one of the most dangerous substances around. The law is BS from start to finish if only because it makes no sense to still have it classified as such a dangerous substance when it simply is not. Now I get that federal law overrides state law, but this is a load of crap to me for all kinds of reasons.

I agree the law needs to be changed but it makes no sense - NONE - to do what Sessions is doing. I think this is a case where the law is so antiquated it shouldn't even be followed. I'm pretty sure that's not the only law on the books that is completely out of date or nonsensical. Isn't it illegal to hunt whales in Oklahoma?
RYM || Last.FM
"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall." - Varys, Game of Thrones

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #913 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
The fuck is wrong with this administration? 65%+ of the population favors legal weed. 8 states have legalized it for recreational use. 29 states allow it medically. Our private prison industries must be losing too much money. Fuck Sessions. We might as well be putting our tax dollars in barrels and setting them on fire.

Look, Chino, I'm with you on the weed, believe me.  It should be treated the same as alcohol across the board.

BUT, look at the realities here.   One of the biggest gripes against Eric Holder was that he didn't enforce the law.   He made singular choices to enforce some things and not others, and that's not his job.   Sessions came in to DO HIS JOB.  Enforce the law.   

Now, that's not to say that the law is "right".  It needs to be changed.  But that's Congress, not Trump, and not Sessions.   I am sort of the opposite of Chris; I have a lot of problems with the Trump administration, at least as far as execution goes, but Sessions really isn't one of them.   Change the law, and problem solved, not "ignore the laws that are on the books".
It's a simple matter of prioritization, which is something that all DOJs do. Your brother doesn't cite people for going 56/55, does he? You might think that Holder's priorities were out of whack, and in some areas I'd agree with you. When it comes to the various things that DOJ needs to focus on, stifling the states' goals of taxing dope is bottom of the barrel.

Also, while you might object here for the reason you gave, I'm somewhat confident you recognize that Sessions is a throwback. He's a relic from an era best forgotten. He serves no purpose in the modern era other than to provide jerkoff material for the right-wingers who want to live in 1954.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: January 04, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Except it's the law in several states already that it's legal, it's a huge tax revenue boon for those places, and Sessions is accomplishing absolutely nothing except hurting those economies and people's jobs. The law is actually nonsensical in this case, especially because even though it's legal (for either medicinal or recreational purposes) throughout much of the country, it's still classified as one of the most dangerous substances around. The law is BS from start to finish if only because it makes no sense to still have it classified as such a dangerous substance when it simply is not. Now I get that federal law overrides state law, but this is a load of crap to me for all kinds of reasons.

I agree the law needs to be changed but it makes no sense - NONE - to do what Sessions is doing. I think this is a case where the law is so antiquated it shouldn't even be followed. I'm pretty sure that's not the only law on the books that is completely out of date or nonsensical. Isn't it illegal to hunt whales in Oklahoma?

But rather than sweep the problem under the rug - the discrepancy between the Federal law and state law - maybe this is the impetus to get uniformity.  Legislature has to act, period.   It's not the DOJ's role to dictate policy or laws, just enforce them.   I'm not saying Sessions is god here, but long term, his way is better than Holder's way.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: January 04, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »

It's a simple matter of prioritization, which is something that all DOJs do. Your brother doesn't cite people for going 56/55, does he? You might think that Holder's priorities were out of whack, and in some areas I'd agree with you. When it comes to the various things that DOJ needs to focus on, stifling the states' goals of taxing dope is bottom of the barrel.

Also, while you might object here for the reason you gave, I'm somewhat confident you recognize that Sessions is a throwback. He's a relic from an era best forgotten. He serves no purpose in the modern era other than to provide jerkoff material for the right-wingers who want to live in 1954.

You're right, but my brother also doesn't say "Well, we're not going to enforce speeding below 70."    If there's a reason to pull someone at 56, he will, I promise you.   It might not be the priority, but if it's a case of getting to where he needs to be, you bet your ass.  He's not going to pull a Holder and unilaterally say "we're opting not to enforce that law at this time.". 

As for your last, yes, I recognize that.  There are literally 50 guys that could have played that role better than Sessions without the baggage.  Maybe more.  I'm not a fan of Sessions at all, but I don't think him to be nearly the biggest "staff" problem in the Administration (deVos is a far better example of what's wrong with Trump's cabinet). 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #916 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »

You're right, but my brother also doesn't say "Well, we're not going to enforce speeding below 70."    If there's a reason to pull someone at 56, he will, I promise you.   It might not be the priority, but if it's a case of getting to where he needs to be, you bet your ass.  He's not going to pull a Holder and unilaterally say "we're opting not to enforce that law at this time.". 

BUT, look at the realities here.   One of the biggest gripes against Eric Holder was that he didn't enforce the law.  He made singular choices to enforce some things and not others, and that's not his job.   Sessions came in to DO HIS JOB.  Enforce the law.   

By your logic, your brother should be pulling that person over. He doesn't need a reason to pull over someone doing 56 in a 55 other than the fact that they are breaking the law and exceeding a speed limit put in place for the sole purpose of saving lives.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: January 04, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »

BUT, look at the realities here.   One of the biggest gripes against Eric Holder was that he didn't enforce the law.  He made singular choices to enforce some things and not others, and that's not his job.   Sessions came in to DO HIS JOB.  Enforce the law.   

By your logic, your brother should be pulling that person over. He doesn't need a reason to pull over someone doing 56 in a 55 other than the fact that they are breaking the law and exceeding a speed limit put in place for the sole purpose of saving lives.

No.   I realize it looks like I'm contradicting myself here, but it's a matter of not being able to be exhaustive in each post.

Both Sessions and Holder have to prioritize; as el Barto said, that's the DOJs job.   But Holder went one step further and said "WE WILL NOT BE PURSUING THESE CASES".   That's more than prioritizing.   That's setting policy and, in effect, setting law.  His job is NOT to make law, but to enforce it. 

Look, you and think that "weed" is "56/55", but the reality is that some don't.   I'm not sure I have an answer for you on that, but at this point, the Federal law is consistent with those that "don't".  Sessions CANNOT CHANGE THAT LAW, though Holder tried to, wrongly.  The job is for CONGRESS to do that. 

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: January 04, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
We can at least agree that legal or not, pot is still going to be smoked, and speed limits will still be violated. Livin' on the edge.  :hat
RYM || Last.FM
"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall." - Varys, Game of Thrones

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #919 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »

As for your last, yes, I recognize that.  There are literally 50 guys that could have played that role better than Sessions without the baggage.  Maybe more.  I'm not a fan of Sessions at all, but I don't think him to be nearly the biggest "staff" problem in the Administration (deVos is a far better example of what's wrong with Trump's cabinet).
DeVos is insignificant. She has very little influence over the actual course of the nation. The attorney general is incredibly powerful. In some regards perhaps the most powerful man in DC. He has the power to drag us all kicking and screaming into the last century as Sessions seems hellbent to do. As I've said many times before, Grabby has really only done one thing that bothers me, and that's the Sessions appointment. Damn near his entire term has been simple masturbation, but Sessions is a bad case of gonorrhea from a Bangladeshi whore, and we'll be dripping from that one for a long while.

As for the rest of your point, Holder actually went after legal marijuana pretty hard, and the Holder memo actually stated when the DOJ should pursue charges, and it was in reality somewhat open-ended. To presume he gave carte blanche to grass is sorely mistaken.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: January 04, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
We can at least agree that legal or not, pot is still going to be smoked, and speed limits will still be violated. Livin' on the edge.  :hat

Sometimes at the same time!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #921 on: January 04, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »

DeVos is insignificant. She has very little influence over the actual course of the nation. The attorney general is incredibly powerful. In some regards perhaps the most powerful man in DC. He has the power to drag us all kicking and screaming into the last century as Sessions seems hellbent to do. As I've said many times before, Grabby has really only done one thing that bothers me, and that's the Sessions appointment. Damn near his entire term has been simple masturbation, but Sessions is a bad case of gonorrhea from a Bangladeshi whore, and we'll be dripping from that one for a long while.

As for the rest of your point, Holder actually went after legal marijuana pretty hard, and the Holder memo actually stated when the DOJ should pursue charges, and it was in reality somewhat open-ended. To presume he gave carte blanche to grass is sorely mistaken.

Wasn't this also meant for the states that had legalized as well, as in, the memo didn't stop Holder from going after marijuana in illegal states?  To me, this was meant to be sort of an experiment to test out legal marijuana and see how business goes.  The results have been mostly positive from my understanding and these results have been shared with Sessions who still holds onto wrong and old arguments against marijuana and seemingly ignores the positive results.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »

I can't compete with a dripping case of Bangladeshi gonorrhea.    :).  But while I understand all that (about the relative importance) I guess I'm wondering how THIS - as opposed to his personal views - is necessarily "dragging us ... into the last century"?

I don't think he gave carte blanche, but it wasn't about just enforcing the law.   It was always my impression - perhaps colored by the approach of his boss - that he wasn't interested in the foibles of Congress when he could shape and morph law on his own.   

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #923 on: January 04, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »

Sometimes at the same time!
Minimum speed limits, perhaps.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #924 on: January 04, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »

I can't compete with a dripping case of Bangladeshi gonorrhea.    :).  But while I understand all that (about the relative importance) I guess I'm wondering how THIS - as opposed to his personal views - is necessarily "dragging us ... into the last century"?

Sessions's archaic ideas guide his policy at the DOJ. There's always an element of moral encroachment there, recall Ashcroft and his war on porn, but it's stronger with Sessions. Partly because he's a throwback, and partly because he's given carte blanche to undo every single thing Obama ever did. Frankly, the return to mandatory minimums is far, far more egregious than this, but it's all part of a larger pattern.

I don't think he gave carte blanche, but it wasn't about just enforcing the law.   It was always my impression - perhaps colored by the approach of his boss - that he wasn't interested in the foibles of Congress when he could shape and morph law on his own.
Honestly, I think it's colored. Holder was a longtime law and order guy. Probably why he went after legal dopers in Cali so hard at the beginning. My hunch is that it was Obama that instructed him to reign it in a bit.

And on a side note, I still miss Ashcroft. I thought he was a sick fuck and really hated the way he ran the DOJ, but the guy had integrity. At least with him you knew he was doing what he thought was right, even if it was batshit insane, and he was willing to got the the mat for it. Everybody since him has either been week or a shill.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: January 04, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »

Sessions's archaic ideas guide his policy at the DOJ. There's always an element of moral encroachment there, recall Ashcroft and his war on porn, but it's stronger with Sessions. Partly because he's a throwback, and partly because he's given carte blanche to undo every single thing Obama ever did. Frankly, the return to mandatory minimums is far, far more egregious than this, but it's all part of a larger pattern.

Yeah, I see your point there.  I can't argue with that. 

Honestly, I think it's colored. Holder was a longtime law and order guy. Probably why he went after legal dopers in Cali so hard at the beginning. My hunch is that it was Obama that instructed him to reign it in a bit.

And on a side note, I still miss Ashcroft. I thought he was a sick fuck and really hated the way he ran the DOJ, but the guy had integrity. At least with him you knew he was doing what he thought was right, even if it was batshit insane, and he was willing to got the the mat for it. Everybody since him has either been week or a shill.

Agreed.   The last thing you want in that office (though a raging moral crusader like Sessions with a power complex might be worse). 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #927 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
As more and more states ratify legalization, I wonder what Sessions and the federal gov are going to do when the majority states have adopted legal marijuana. Will there be a war, will the fed roll over and be cool about it? I'm just curious to see what the endgame will be.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #928 on: January 04, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
The same thing that happened in Cali during the Bush/Obama admins. The states will go on doing what they're doing and the federales will go on busting dopers and stealing their shit. States won't be able to sue Sessions because the SCOTUS already pronounced grass to be an element of interstate commerce.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: January 04, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
Well, el Barto is right in the short term, but you're going to get to a point where a powerful state Senator - Barbara Boxer?  He's not powerful but he understands the interplay between State and Fed, so Richard Blumenthal would be a candidate too, once CT goes live with legal weed - gets a call from the Governor of said state that says "dude, fix this shit, pronto" and Congress will enact something that, if not clearing things up absolutely, will at least lay down some clear ground rules.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #930 on: January 04, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
Just to reassure us that the sky is not falling, Western District U.S. Attorney Annette Hayes — based in Seattle — has since released a statement:

Today the Attorney General reiterated his confidence in the basic principles that guide the discretion of all U.S. Attorneys around the country, and directed that those principles shepherd enforcement of federal law regarding marijuana.  He also emphasized his belief that U.S. Attorneys are in the best position to address public safety in their districts, and address the crime control problems that are pressing in their communities.  Those principles have always been at the core of what the United States Attorney’s Office for Western Washington has done – across all threats to public safety, including those relating to marijuana.  As a result, we have investigated and prosecuted over many years cases involving organized crime, violent and gun threats, and financial crimes related to marijuana.  We will continue to do so to ensure – consistent with the most recent guidance from the Department – that our enforcement efforts with our federal, state, local and tribal partners focus on those who pose the greatest safety risk to the people and communities we serve.

That is a bit of a word salad, but I think the takeaway is that the Gestapo isn't going to be banging down doors anywhere they think someone might be smoking a joint.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #931 on: January 04, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
When we're talking about matters of prioritization, going after the law that has been proven to be a net benefit for states like CO is just ridiculous. I don't smoke weed, I have no personal interest in the stuff. But I do know that since legalization my state has made over half a billion in tax revenue (I would've thought free market resulting in taxes would be a conservative principle, but I guess that's too much to ask), fatal accidents are down, and opioid abuse is way down. My state is much better off for legal weed.

Sessions does make judgment calls on what is priority to spend resources on. This is not him just doing his job, he is targeting weed specifically.

I don't know what political geniuses think 2018* will go well for the GOP after the incredibly unpopular net neutrality rollback, and now this. Among other things, but these 2 alone are galvanizing people who probably wouldn't have been otherwise.

*edit: It's still too early in the year for me to realize that 2018 now means the current year, and is no longer clear I meant the upcoming midterm elections.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #932 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
I agree that weed and alcohol should be treated the same. I also feel that both are over glamorized, and a waste of money, and probably more harmful in the long run than most people choose to believe.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #933 on: January 05, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
I agree that weed and alcohol should be treated the same. I also feel that both are over glamorized, and a waste of money, and probably more harmful in the long run than most people choose to believe.

Seeing as it's a factor in roughly 90,000 deaths per year, alcohol should be treated as a far more dangerous substance, without question.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #934 on: January 05, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »

Seeing as it's a factor in roughly 90,000 deaths per year, alcohol should be treated as a far more dangerous substance, without question.

Agreed. I always thought the comparison of alcohol and marijuana was a bit off base when saying they are similar.  Alcohol is far worse.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • I like terrible things
« Reply #935 on: January 05, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
Yup.  Too bad they both can't/won't be banned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »

Why would you want either of them banned? A lot of people function just fine with one vice or the other (or both). I shouldn't be punished just because others can't control themselves, especially with weed which is quite literally nowhere near as damaging as alcohol.
RYM || Last.FM

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • I like terrible things
« Reply #937 on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »

Why would you want either of them banned? A lot of people function just fine with one vice or the other (or both). I shouldn't be punished just because others can't control themselves, especially with weed which is quite literally nowhere near as damaging as alcohol.

I'm not talking about "punishing" anybody.  My personal opinion is that there is really nothing good to be had from either substance.  But I'm not advocating anything.  I'm just expressing agreement that I feel there really isn't anything good that comes from either.  (well, except maybe vanilla extract and chicken marsalla)  But that's strictly my personal opinion.  Don't take it...er...personal.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: January 05, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »

I'm not talking about "punishing" anybody.  My personal opinion is that there is really nothing good to be had from either substance.  But I'm not advocating anything.  I'm just expressing agreement that I feel there really isn't anything good that comes from either.  (well, except maybe vanilla extract and chicken marsalla)  But that's strictly my personal opinion.  Don't take it...er...personal.  :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was taking it personally, I was genuinely interested in why you said that. I used the term 'punished' because it (well, weed, not booze) genuinely helps me, so I just disagree that nothing good comes from it. I won't go into it but weed has helped my life big time, I probably still wouldn't be able to function properly in any social environment if I hadn't found it. One might call it a crutch, but I don't see it that way. I think it's all about how you use it. One of my siblings has already messed up her life big time by getting involved with it, but I have my stuff together and take care of myself, not unlike how some guys can drink responsibly but they always have that one friend who gets violent and angry after 2 whiskey-cokes :)
RYM || Last.FM

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #939 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »

So help me Bosk, if vanilla extract gets banned, I'm leading the next civil war myself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #940 on: January 05, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Weed isn't nowhere near as harmful as Alcohol. Plus the plant itself has many uses besides smoking it. That alone could help save trees, save Earthsblood, provide clothing and materials. So many uses for it, you can only drink one kind of Alcohol and even at that a whole gallon could kill you.

So bosk I don't understand how nothing good can from Cannabis. Unless you're specifically talking smoking, even at that they can extract the CBD which doesn't have any psychoactive effects. Its legal and does help, shit it even helps dogs, there are CBD treats for dogs that ive seen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: January 05, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

Agreed. I always thought the comparison of alcohol and marijuana was a bit off base when saying they are similar.  Alcohol is far worse.

Well, "similar" in the sense of how they are handled.  Perhaps that is my politics talking, but just because someone can abuse one or the other to a greater degree - or damage themselves more completely with one or the other - in my view doesn't change the way to which they should be administered.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
Weed isn't nowhere near as harmful as Alcohol. Plus the plant itself has many uses besides smoking it. That alone could help save trees, save Earthsblood, provide clothing and materials. So many uses for it, you can only drink one kind of Alcohol and even at that a whole gallon could kill you.

So bosk I don't understand how nothing good can from Cannabis. Unless you're specifically talking smoking, even at that they can extract the CBD which doesn't have any psychoactive effects. Its legal and does help, shit it even helps dogs, there are CBD treats for dogs that ive seen.

Dude, have an open mind.  Some day if you take a bullet in the leg and your hot girlfriend needs to extract it using a penknife and a flashlight, that bottle of whiskey could come in handy (take a swig, pour a bunch on the wound, then take another swig).   

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #943 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:38 AM »

I get your point of view, and I'm not looking to give you shit for an opinion. I'll just point out that none of us can say what does or does not benefit others. A pretty solid reason to not wish for the banning of things deemed unhelpful. After all, there is that whole opiate of the masses thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • I like terrible things
« Reply #944 on: January 05, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »

I get your point of view, and I'm not looking to give you shit for an opinion. I'll just point out that none of us can say what does or does not benefit others. A pretty solid reason to not wish for the banning of things deemed unhelpful. After all, there is that whole opiate of the masses thing.
Oh, sure.  You know my position, and I know yours, and that's all fine.  And while it's somewhat off topic, I'll just throw this out there since it is such a large part of what informs my opinion on the subject.  I share your distain (for lack of a better term) for the "opiate of the masses" in general.  But as I think you also know, I don't consider my personal belief in the creator of the universe to be that.  I consider it to be absolute truth that I stake my very life upon.  And aside from any argument or "rightness" or "wrongness," those beliefs, and the contentment that brings makes use of any kind of intoxicating substances for basically anything other than medicinal completely unnecessary and contrary to what my life is supposed to be about.  So, yeah, that's basically where I'm coming from.  And you knew that, I think, at least in general.  But again, I mention it merely for background on what is informing my opinion, despite that we've gotten pretty far afield.  My apologies.  I will bow out now.  :)