Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 124402 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #1855 on: July 14, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »
Honestly, something that should be as simple as descheduling marijuana sure looks massive to me. "We just want to eliminate the harm done by enforcement and let states sort out their own laws.  We also want to implement very high taxes, institute a permitting program to determine who can sell what, involve ourselves in the financial and banking aspects of marijuana businesses more than we already are, implement a regulatory program to make sure we get our cut, and reserve the right to initiate any other annoying obstacles we might see as opportunistic to our benefits."

Out of curiosity, what are people paying for a legal half, and how much of that is taxes? What will an added 10-25% up front look like? Seriously, this is one of the small handful of things going right in Tejas. I dread the day that Texas officially legalizes it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1856 on: July 14, 2021, 11:52:13 AM »
Honestly, something that should be as simple as descheduling marijuana sure looks massive to me. "We just want to eliminate the harm done by enforcement and let states sort out their own laws.  We also want to implement very high taxes, institute a permitting program to determine who can sell what, involve ourselves in the financial and banking aspects of marijuana businesses more than we already are, implement a regulatory program to make sure we get our cut, and reserve the right to initiate any other annoying obstacles we might see as opportunistic to our benefits."

Out of curiosity, what are people paying for a legal half, and how much of that is taxes? What will an added 10-25% up front look like? Seriously, this is one of the small handful of things going right in Tejas. I dread the day that Texas officially legalizes it.

It's been so long since I've been in a legal shop, I don't recall the prices but my dealer is still going to be my go to for bulk marijuana purchases once stores pop up in NJ.  I'll probably use the legal stores for unique items, but I typically buy an ounce or two at a time and I don't think the legal market can compete. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1857 on: July 14, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »

When I go up to MA for bud, including taxes, I pay between $255 and $280 for a half (I go every 4th Saturday). Part of that premium is the fact that it's still illegal in most places. Once all of New England, NY, and NJ are fully up and running, I expect competition between states to drive that price down. I can get half ounces off the street for $100, but the quality is lacking compared to the dispensaries. They're barely playing the same sport.

I've already brushed off the ol' green thumb and got my setup going again. I'm converting everything to LED this time around. I'm curious to look back through my utility spreadsheets to see how my electricity consumption compares to the HPS light days from years past. Pretty sure the last rips of my own home grown were with you, Barto, back before that Astonishing show.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 12:20:40 PM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1858 on: July 14, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »

When I go up to MA for bud, including taxes, I pay between $255 and $280 for a half. Part of that premium is the fact that it's still illegal in most places. Once all of New England, NY, and NJ are fully up and running, I expect competition between states to drive that price down. I can get half ounces off the street for $100, but the quality is lacking compared to the dispensaries. They're barely playing the same sport.

I've already brushed off the ol' green thumb and got my setup going again. I'm converting everything to LED this time around. I'm curious to look back through my utility spreadsheets to see how my electricity consumption compares to the HPS light days from year's past. Pretty sure the last rips of my own home grown was with you, Barto, back before that Astonishing show.

That was some creeper-ass shit. I think I was higher after the first act than I was walking in the door.  :lol

Those prices are about double what we're paying down here, and while the quality won't be quite the same, I suspect what I'm getting is pretty close. I really didn't know it was that pricey up there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1859 on: July 14, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
I think the ounce I recently bougth was $220 and my guy gets his from a legal grow in Vermont so the quality is very good (he's super picky and wouldn't even sell anything of low quality) and 100mg edibles for $30 which I love.  There's almost no way the states can compete with those prices until the market gets fully saturated, because at the end of the day, it's a plant and it really should be fairly cheap.

I didn't read the senate bill, but I hope it allows for home grow.  It's a shame some states don't allow this.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
    • The ANABASIS - Music Making a Difference
« Reply #1860 on: July 14, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »

When I go up to MA for bud, including taxes, I pay between $255 and $280 for a half (I go every 4th Saturday). Part of that premium is the fact that it's still illegal in most places. Once all of New England, NY, and NJ are fully up and running, I expect competition between states to drive that price down. I can get half ounces off the street for $100, but the quality is lacking compared to the dispensaries. They're barely playing the same sport.

I've already brushed off the ol' green thumb and got my setup going again. I'm converting everything to LED this time around. I'm curious to look back through my utility spreadsheets to see how my electricity consumption compares to the HPS light days from years past. Pretty sure the last rips of my own home grown were with you, Barto, back before that Astonishing show.

LED is the way to go.  I've been LED since the beginning, but my brother-in-law just switched over.  He was using a 1000 watt metal halide for vegetative growth and a 1000 watt HPS for flowering.  His electric bill was around $400/month.  With the LED his bill went down to $145/month.  I just switched from a BloomBoss 600 watt LED to this newer full-spectrum 680 watt LED that runs at the cost of a 680 watt LED but puts out the equivalent lumens to a 1000 watt HPS with none of the heat issues you have with HPS.

By the way, PM me if you're interested in a great deal on a used 600 watt bloom boss LED. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
    • The ANABASIS - Music Making a Difference
« Reply #1861 on: July 14, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »

It's very expensive to buy it in the dispensaries.  I mean, I'm 100% on board with full legalization but we definitely need it to be nationwide so there can be more competition in the market otherwise people are going to be paying between $65 and $80 for 1/8 of an ounce forever.  That's about what it goes for around here.  I steer clear of the dispensaries.  I haven't paid a dealer or a dispensary for bud in a long time, probably 5 years or more.  Most of my grows yield anywhere from 16 to 20 ounces of top shelf flowers and another 4 to 6 ounces of cuttings and popcorn buds for cooking. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1862 on: July 14, 2021, 03:14:30 PM »
I don't see how competition will change anything when it's tax that jacks up the price. Ask anybody who still smokes cigs. Even in Texas you pay $7.87 just in taxes for a pack of smokes. Factor in overhead, regulatory considerations, and all the other bullshit and the legal market will never be able to compete with the illicit market in terms of cost. Moreover, as the producers have to reduce their costs to compete the quality will take a hit and the amount of chemicals introduced will increase. Again, ask anybody who still smokes cigs.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1863 on: July 14, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »

Here in New Mexico, it's going to be as high as 18%. Which, if you buy a 1/4 oz for $100, it will be the price of almost $120 grand total. This is what I used to be paying for a 1/4 oz of good chronic (as it was known).

I do not know if this includes County and City tax.

But of course, the only thing holding up legalization, is figuring out how they can make as much profits as they possibly can.

I mainly go to dispensaries for pre-rolls, edibles, and the tinctures. If I find a really good flower I'll get an 8th of that, if it's really good and what I want from the description I'll buy a 1/4.

Also, dispensaries have daily deals and specials they offer and I try and go those days. I got lucky when I went to Trinidad the other day and it was 20% off pre-rolls
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1864 on: July 15, 2021, 10:27:04 AM »
That's what I was thinking:  how do you block the driver and not the passengers?  Why should they not be able to access GPS or Yelp! or whatever?

We know who was in what seat at the time of an accident based on the accelerometer data of the passengers' phones as they got in the vehicle.

Source: Currently working on a system that involves this at my insurance job.

There are ways we could implement this fairly easily I think, but it'd piss a lot of people off. One would be requiring a phone to start a car (the same one that was determined to be in the driver seat based on accelerometer data), and then limiting the capabilities of that phone while the car is in motion. Something like that. You can even put a big "EMERGENCY USE" button on the locked phone to allow someone to use it should they absolutely have to for some reason, and that push should be audited by someone, but that's not for me to decide.

This would require widespread support across a number of industries, and even if implemented would probably take longer than just getting cars to drive themselves.

As I'm not a huge "prevention" guy - meaning, laws that work proactively - I'd be down with there being significantly stricter penalties if the accelerometer showed something untoward.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1865 on: July 15, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
On my way into work this morning, there were signs saying to use the western turnpike extension not the eastern because of a crash.  I pulled out my phone and google maps real quick to see if that was the best way to go.  My phone immediate gave me a warning about using it while driving since it very likely knew my speed and that I was in a car.  So the tech is already there.  And if you are wondering, I went against what the signs said and saved 10 minutes.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1866 on: July 15, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »
On my way into work this morning, there were signs saying to use the western turnpike extension not the eastern because of a crash.  I pulled out my phone and google maps real quick to see if that was the best way to go.  My phone immediate gave me a warning about using it while driving since it very likely knew my speed and that I was in a car.  So the tech is already there.  And if you are wondering, I went against what the signs said and saved 10 minutes.
Man, Google maps has literally saved me hours. Driving back from Kentucky once it put me on a side road from which I could see a multi-hour (and deteriorating) traffic situation on the interstate. I kept expecting there to be a catch, but after 30 minutes or so of 60mph it put me right back on the interstate beyond the trouble. It's earned enough trust from me that if it says to stay in traffic or use the service road for 3 lights I'll damn sure listen to it. At worst it's a wash and at best it'll save me 10 minutes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1867 on: August 03, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
Does anyone else use weed to work out personal issues?

(and this may be more with edibles than inhalation), but I had a very productive Monday with a 15mg sativa edible. I started dating this girl and she's in to me. I was able to see my insecurities and issues with self worth and able to confront that I didn't feel worthy of this girl's affection.

I don't know if the issue is solved, but I feel a million times better post session than pre.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:39:12 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1868 on: August 03, 2021, 06:28:30 PM »
Does anyone else use weed to work out personal issues?

I had a very productive Monday with a 15mg sativa edible. I started dating this girl and she's in to me. I was able to see my insecurities and issues with self worth and able to confront that I didn't feel worthy of this girl's affection.

I don't know if the issue is solved, but I feel a million times better post session than pre.

Not sure about working out issues, but I feel "down to earth" when I smoke, in that I am much more self reflective and understanding of my environment which I think does help me lead a better life.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1869 on: August 09, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
One month since kicking off the germination process. I used to grow 6 plants at a time in 2 gallon pots. This time around I'm going to try 4 plants at a time in 3 gallon pots. We'll see how that plays out. One problem I ran into often with the 2 gallon pots was getting the occasional beast-mode of plant that'd just outgrow it out of nowhere 10 weeks in and become a complete waste. It also resulted in less than ideal air flow in my flower tent. I'm hoping cutting the plant count from 6 to 4 will allow me to remedy that a bit while not losing too much on the final weigh in. (The veg tent is a 2'X2'X4' and the flower tent is 4'X2'X5')

These are all feminized White Widow, but it looks like I have at least two phenotypes. The little guy in the middle is an experiment I'm doing. That's coming out of veg in a few days. The rest will remain in there a while longer. Back left is throwing me for a loop though. It's growing really rapidly, outpacing all the others in both height and width at a ridiculous pace. I've already topped that plant whereas the other others are still probably a week out from that. I'm not sure what to make of it. While it's growing really quickly, a trait I may want to retain via cloning, the other plants seem like they'll ultimately end up being better on space. My worry is that if I start cloning that tall fella, its descendants are going to get too tall for the veg tent before there's room for them in the flower tent.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:08:03 AM by Chino »