Author Topic: Masterplan  (Read 10844 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Masterplan
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
Those first two releases are awesome.  They lost me a bit with that third one, and I haven't picked up anything from them since.
Last year's album was great!

This so much.  Rick Altzi is an awesome vocalist. Love him almost as much as I love Jorn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NotePad

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
The main problem I had with Time to Be King was that most of the songs were too similar and blended together. And some of the guitar parts and even lyrics had some Blind Guardian-ish fantasy-ness to them; luckily the newest album doesn't.

My concern is their dwindling fanbase. When they first started out, they were very popular and talked about a lot. Even won some awards. But when Jorn left the first time, that's when their downhill slope started. They still make good music, but....I'd rather see Roland start a new band. But since he hasn't, maybe he's very much accustomed to the Masterplan sound, because other then the vocals, they still sound like Masterplan. But they will forever be thought of in a lesser way.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
Bumping for the sake that Aeronautics is still an amazing album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NotePad

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
Aeronautics is fuckin amazing! I'd say I like it more then their self-titled one. And Rick Altzi is a pretty good replacement, but I'm not sure about his range. I do love how Masterplan has never gone for the classic hgh-pitched vocalist most common with power metal.

But back to Time To Be King. Am I the only person that notices the fantasy elements in this album? There is definitely fantasy Themes in the lyrics (Jorn is not a good lyricist). And I also hear this in the music. At many times throughout the album I hear fantasy sounding (middle-ages?) guitar and keyboards etc. like I said earlier, these are Blind Guardian-ish sounds. But it's not in your face like Blind Guarian. It's also the least impressive Jorn album. Why did he even return?

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Do you think this was a conscience decision? I mean, do you think as a band they decided to create an album with more of a fantasy tinge than what theyve done before? In the music and the lyrics. The albums before TTBK and the new one with Altzi don't have this element to it, they have more of a "modern" sound to them, which is the way I prefer my power metal. Im just surprised that all the reviews and comments Iv heard about the abum have never addressed this.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:58 AM »
I want to get into Lande's solo albums, because that seems to be all he's doing now. But i have heard Out To Every Nation and found it lousy. All the songs sound so pieced together and bland.

Are any of his solo albums any good?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »
His first 2 Worldchanger and Starfire are pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2014, 02:53:18 AM »
Worldchanger and Out to Every Nation are my favs.  Starfire is a good one, but a lot of covers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2014, 08:06:34 AM »
Jorn Lande's covers are one thing i really love. Damn, Perfect Strangers and Burn (Deep Purple); Stargazer (Rainbow) and  The Sun Goes Down (Thin Lizzy) are my favorites. His voice really adds to the music.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
He left Ark and Masterplan becuase they never made it big enough for him. Is his solo career popular and doing any better then Masterplan?

Such a shame about Masterplan. Their debut album was very popular and well received, also Aeronautics seemed to be made when the band was riding high. But then after the third album, everyone stopped caring it seems.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
His Dio album is excellent!

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
I like Jorn in The Snakes, Brazen Abbot and Vagabond, wayy more than his solo career.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2014, 03:00:19 AM »
Don't forget Millenium.

He left Ark and Masterplan becuase they never made it big enough for him. Is his solo career popular and doing any better then Masterplan?

Such a shame about Masterplan. Their debut album was very popular and well received, also Aeronautics seemed to be made when the band was riding high. But then after the third album, everyone stopped caring it seems.

That's because Jorn left and people have trouble accepting someone new, even though Mike did an amazing job on MK3.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2014, 03:02:54 AM »
Don't forget Millenium.

That's because Jorn left and people have trouble accepting someone new, even though Mike did an amazing job on MK3.

You're right, Wolf. For a lot of people, me included, Jorn was THE voice of Masterplan. Difficult to hear the band with someone else.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2014, 03:05:36 AM »
It was a shame that he left after two of the most brilliant power metal albums ever, and can totally see why it would be hard for some to hear someone new.

I really liked MK3 though.  It's not at the level of the first two, but it's an enjoyable album and a million times better than A Time To Be King.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:41 AM »
I'v only listened to one song off Mkiii so far. From what i can tell, the singer on that one sounds an awful lot like the new guy Rick Altzi ;p

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »
Jorn have this very clean and powerful voice that's very recognizable and Uli Kusch imo is a very underated drummer these days. Loved his work with Helloween and Masterplan. The drums on Aeronautics might even be his best performance he's done on record or atleast one of his best. So when both of these guys left my interest for Masterplan sunk to the bottom.

Edit: Come to think of it The Dark Ride might be my favourite  performance by Uli though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:50:51 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NotePad

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
Yea, I don't think Masterplan will ever be where they were when they did the first 2 CDs. Both critically and in terms of their fanbase. But, they're new one is still good. Better then Time to be King. I'd like to see Roland go and start a new band, but i really doubt that will happen. It would take too much. He has a studio and produces band, he makes money from that, and apparently not much from Masterplan these days. And they're STILL a name, people recognize them, i'm sure he makes some good money, sometimes. A new band just seems out of the question. I'd like to see him succeed though, he really got the shaft from Helloween and IMO he doesn't deserve it. I want to see him in a huge band, maybe a big band like Dragonforce or something will need a new guitarist! i know, i know....but i love his music, he's an amazing player and songwriter.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I wonder how would MKII sound with Jorn on the vocals...
 Damn...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:06 AM »
MASTERPLAN - Spirit Never Die [LIVE]

Sounds awesome but yea there's like 4 additional guitar redubs.  :lol Could be the backtrack though.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
The new album is great EXCEPT for the vocals. I can't get over how disappointed I am in the new vocalist choice. They just tried to get a Jorn soundalike, which I guess they did, but he also sounds bad. Doest have the soul. . Id even be happy if they chose the guy whose with Serious Black.

Wish they chose someone else, because the new album has some killer songs. I'm curious, who do you guys think could have been the new Masterplan frontman?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
The new album is great EXCEPT for the vocals. I can't get over how disappointed I am in the new vocalist choice. They just tried to get a Jorn soundalike, which I guess they did, but he also sounds bad. Doest have the soul. . Id even be happy if they chose the guy whose with Serious Black.

Wish they chose someone else, because the new album has some killer songs. I'm curious, who do you guys think could have been the new Masterplan frontman?

Dude... we get it.  You hate Altzi's voice. No need to constantly shit all over him in multiple threads.   ::)

Personally, I love him, and am 100% fine with him replacing Jorn.  Urban breed wouldn't have been a bad choice either, but for me, absolutely nothing wrong with Altzi.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
I don't think Altzi sounds like Jorn at all!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »
The new album is great EXCEPT for the vocals. I can't get over how disappointed I am in the new vocalist choice.

Yeah, you've kinda said that already.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Because he sucks assholes

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »

I got no problem in people having intelligent, articulated discussions over anything.  But just dropping virtiol like that is enough to make me skip you from here on out.  If you don't have something to add the conversation/discussion, then don't add anything at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2015, 04:33:49 PM »

Bugger off mate.  We don't need this debris around here.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
Come on, lighten up guys.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Come on, lighten up guys.

Well, perhaps just let it go mate.  Rick is the singer of Masterplan, you can't do anything to change that.  If you don't like him, fine, others do, and you still have the first two albums to go back too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
Actually never heard Rick until I checked out the live clip.
He sounds pretty good, better than I though after Notepad's criticism.
But I doubt if I'll be able to get past that Jorn sang those songs originally and without him they are not quite the same.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
I think what really distracts me is the fact that he is clearly supposed to be a replacement for Jorn, a clone, instead of getting a different singer and evolving that way. He's not terrible but he's a lesser Jorn, without the range. I'll see what they do next, maybe that'll change things; I still think the songwriting is great, Roland is always great, so I'll get whatever they do next.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »
I really do not see him as a Jorn clone.
As soon as he opened his mouth I knew this.
He sounds just as he did with Thunderstone, I didn't think 'Jorn clone' then, nor do i do now.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
He doesn't sound like Jorn on the novum initium album. He is a very good singer.
When singing Jorn songs it's likely he may sound a bit like him.
Move on.
Jorn is off making mediocre albums elsewhere.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Range aside, I feel like Altzi has much more personality in his voice. Jorn has always left me kind of cold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
I think what really distracts me is the fact that he is clearly supposed to be a replacement for Jorn, a clone, instead of getting a different singer and evolving that way.

If you'd have heard of Rick previously, you'd obviously know that he is not trying to copy Jorn, instead of just judging him on the one album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
I found a compilation album called MKIII
It has all the B-sides/bonus tracks from the Jorn albums, not sure how official this is though?