Author Topic: Masterplan  (Read 10842 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Masterplan
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
So glad my lack of sexual prowess brings humour to your day. 

:psychosane:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
My dislike of Time to be King had nothing to do with my expectations.

It has to do with the fact that it's a poorly written album. The transitions are awful and it really sounds like Roland demoed a crap load of riffs and then got on pro tools and just kind of stuck them together without a lot of thought.

After listening to the album in full again, I actually change my opinion a little regarding expectations and agree with this.  While the hype of Jorn's return didn't help the situation, the album is inconsistent, incoherant, unenjoyable and very rushed and slapped together with no real hooks of exciting melodies. 

MKII on the other hand is back in rotation and I'm really enjoying it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
I've never heard the forth release, but if Wolf and Chad aren't big fans of it- I probably won't bother.  They know their Jorn.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Give it a listen online and see what you think, but it's definitely not these guys at their best at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
It's certainly not as bad as Jorn's solo album from this year.  I might have to go back to listen to that with fresh ears, but as I recall, it was a big bucket of 'meh'.  Then again, I got it right around the time I also got Nine, Danger Zone, Clockwork Angels, Lost in the New Real and Harmagedon.  It was definitely the weakest link of that haul.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 04:02:37 AM »
Rock to the Land (or whatever the hell it's called) IMO is much better than Time To Be King.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 05:18:44 AM »
Rock to the Land (or whatever the hell it's called) IMO is much better than Time To Be King.

Well, that goes to show how memorable it was! 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
MASTERPLAN - The Game (New song)

Sure not bad but.....Jorn!  :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
MASTERPLAN - The Game (New song)

Sure not bad but.....Jorn!  :'(

Rick Altzi ain't bad as a replacement.  And, I'll take this kind of music without Jorn vs the crap that was on Jorn's solo album last year.

Me likey.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
This was a pretty decent song, I like the vocals.  Looking forward to it and I have my copy pre-ordered.  This song sounds like it should be better than the last piece of crap.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »
MASTERPLAN - Keep Your Dream Alive
Starting to like his voice and the song ain't bad either!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
Ninja'd.  Just updated the melodic rock thread with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdaZiaOhcS0

Forgot there was a Masterplan thread.

Yeah, I like his voice a lot, no complaints from me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
For once i was first, that dosen't happen every day! :D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »
For once i was first, that dosen't happen every day! :D

44 seconds quicker, nice.

Just realised my copy has been despatched a day ago, should have it next week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 06:52:48 AM »
Altzi is an excellent vocalist.  I don't have any At Vance (which will undoubtedly change after this), but his work in Epysode was great.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
Altzi is an excellent vocalist.  I don't have any At Vance (which will undoubtedly change after this), but his work in Epysode was great.

I have a couple of their cd's but they are just sitting in the racks, never listened too, never really checked them out, that will change.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
Oliver Hartmann used to be in At Vance, didn't he?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
Oliver Hartmann used to be in At Vance, didn't he?

Yeah, that's right.  I think Rick has only been in for the last couple of albums or so.  I need to do some research, see what albums I have and check them out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Just reporting in to say this new album is excellent. Not missing Jorn here at all. Altzi does a great job but there's great material here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:49 AM »
Great to hear Paul, I should receive my copy this week.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
Just reporting in to say this new album is excellent. Not missing Jorn here at all. Altzi does a great job but there's great material here.

Seriously.

After two listens, this album if fucking legit.  The production is a bit loud and muddy but the material and performances on here are A class.  Definitely another contender for album of the year.  I laugh at how much better this is compared to ATTBK.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Man, Pray for my Soul could be the song of the year, awesome.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »
That solo on No Escape  :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
Glad you are liking the album.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
Glad you are liking the album.  :tup
Yeah, I'm liking it a lot actually. Black Night Of Magic is a great song, as is the title track.

Rick Altzi us a great vocalist. I must check out At Vance! Believe it or not, I am not a Jorn guy, so this is a nice change.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm loving his voice here, seriously no complaints from me either.  Terrific album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
I can relate to whoever said they can't get into Time To Be King. There's just something about it.... And the lyrics did not impress me. I thought they were lousy lyrics. And I'm pretty sure Jorn wrote them himself. They were too fantasy based, and I'm not into that kinda thing. I'm not interested in listening to power metal that is fantasy based. Blind Guardian has some really fuckin awesome tunes, but i just can't get past the whole Tolkien and swordy&sorcery, knights in armor, wizards waving wands shit. Helloween is my favorite power metal band and 1 of my favorite 3 bands ever- if they started writing lyrics about lord of the rings, i don't know if i would buy the album. (i know the keeper story is fantasy...but that's the only thing like that they've done)

Masterplan's first 2 albums are definitely their best. I'v listened to very little of the albums without Jorn Lande. What i have heard from them sounded like the singers were trying to copy Jorn. It's really shitty he left the band. After he came back the 2nd time, did he even tour with them?

And Uli Kusch is no longer in Masterplan, right? That sucks. He created the band with Roland. Uli is a great songwriter too. Him and Roland together- goddamn! Both of them wrote some of Helloween's best songs. Mr. Torture anyone?

Dark Ride is my favorite Helloween song, and Roland has said at the beginning of the band that he wanted Helloween to continue in that direction, and that's the direction he's going with Masterplan. Some of their first album was actually written for Dark Ride. I guess that's why i loved their music so much. Only it's not as dark as dark ride. I'd say Soulburn and Bleeding Eyes are definitely in the vein of what he was doing with dark ride. (Also, Masterplan's music isn't as progressive as Roland made it out to be at first).

It sorta feels like Masterplan is dying. Too many band members critical to their success have left. But i guess i should at least hear their newest album. Only it's hard to find here in Canada. The only store i can hope to find it in is HMV, but they've been shutting down so the closest one is a few towns away. Ill look for it next time im there.

(OT: How do drummers write songs? Like Uli Kusch, some Helloween songs he's credited only. Does he play guitar, sing?)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Uli only played on the first two albums.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Does anyone else get the impression that Masterplans fanbase has shrunk significantly since they lost Jorn Lande? This is understandable considering he was considered the highlight of the band by most fans. But Roland Grapow is one of my favorite guitarists and songwriters, and he doesn't deserve what's happened to his band.

Is it true Jorn was the main reason for the more hard rock style of Aeronautics? That's what i'v heard. And this isn't a bad thing, as i think it's their best album along with the debut. But did he really have that much input?

And i wouldn't have minded had they continued in the style of Aeronautics. It's still power metal to me, just better.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
I love Masterplan. Bought every release, except the last one.
I don't think Time to be King is as bad as people say...

And i REALLY enjoy Jorn's voice. One of my favourite singers of all time.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
Does anyone else get the impression that Masterplans fanbase has shrunk significantly since they lost Jorn Lande? This is understandable considering he was considered the highlight of the band by most fans. But Roland Grapow is one of my favorite guitarists and songwriters, and he doesn't deserve what's happened to his band.

Is it true Jorn was the main reason for the more hard rock style of Aeronautics? That's what i'v heard. And this isn't a bad thing, as i think it's their best album along with the debut. But did he really have that much input?

And i wouldn't have minded had they continued in the style of Aeronautics. It's still power metal to me, just better.

I'm guilty of only following them for Jorn, once he left I have no interest at all in them.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »
Those first two releases are awesome.  They lost me a bit with that third one, and I haven't picked up anything from them since.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
Those first two releases are awesome.  They lost me a bit with that third one, and I haven't picked up anything from them since.
Last year's album was great!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
I'm going to be seeing these guys in September. The only album I have, the most recent one, is not bad at all. With that being said, it really hasn't grown much on me and I worry that most of the songs blend together a little too well and the overall product is samey.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.