Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 81878 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #1890 on: September 02, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
There are quite a few of these floating around

Also, I lol'ed hard at:

[Bishop Charles H. Ellis III] said "When I saw Ariana Grande on the program, I thought that was a new something at Taco Bell.

But then of course he had to apologize to her, all of Latin America, anyone has an ounce of Latin heritage in them, and/or anyone who can't take a joke. It was funny. I get that it wasn't a Friar's Club Roast, but if you can't make a joke at a funeral, where can you make a joke?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1891 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
the Bishop acted all skeevy with her on stage,  ugh. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1892 on: September 03, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
Bill's all like "Twenty years ago, i'da tapped that like Gregory Hines."

Oh, and Ariana Grande (gran-DEE) is Italian, not Latina.   https://www.teenvogue.com/story/ariana-grande-name-pronunciation

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1893 on: September 04, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
There are quite a few of these floating around

Also, I lol'ed hard at:

[Bishop Charles H. Ellis III] said "When I saw Ariana Grande on the program, I thought that was a new something at Taco Bell.

But then of course he had to apologize to her, all of Latin America, anyone has an ounce of Latin heritage in them, and/or anyone who can't take a joke. It was funny. I get that it wasn't a Friar's Club Roast, but if you can't make a joke at a funeral, where can you make a joke?
Yeah, actually this is what he was apologizing for. Personally I figure it was probably unintentional, but when people made a stink about it he probably just apologized for everything he could think of just to be safe.

And in his apology for "groping" her he said he might have inadvertently crossed the border.  :lol  He made a joke in his apology about the incident that was sly enough nobody noticed. That puts him pretty high in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1894 on: September 04, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
I saw the video, he was digging in there pretty good. If it was unintentional, it was so repeatedly.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: September 04, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
What has SHE said about that whole thing?   I'm not at all apologizing for him, I couldn't give two f---- about that pastor.   But I do have a problem with the rest of the world telling Arianna Grande (pronounced "gran-DEE") how she should feel about those events.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1896 on: September 04, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
Is the rest of the world telling her how she should feel?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1897 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:32 AM »
Maybe she's remaining quiet because it was a funeral and she might have some class.

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1898 on: September 09, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1899 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #1900 on: September 14, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
I didn't know I could handle another 10 inches and it was rough but in the end I'm glad I did it.
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: September 26, 2018, 03:36:27 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1902 on: September 28, 2018, 12:26:51 AM »
"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trumps very very large a brain"

/Donald Trump the 45th President of the United States
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: September 29, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
^ good one, my favorite is still the one about not calling Kim short and fat cause he wants to be friends heh

Jules from Pulp Fiction at the Senate hearing https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=169973107251335&id=23063160130
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1904 on: September 29, 2018, 12:16:29 PM »
 :rollin
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1905 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: September 30, 2018, 12:07:29 AM »
Good God  :lol

SNL cold open yesterday, their best since the epic Sean Spicer one IMO
https://youtu.be/VRJecfRxbr8
Matt Damon nailed it, also watch for Kate McKinnon as Lindsay Graham near the end.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: October 01, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »

Matt Damon nailed it, also watch for Kate McKinnon as Lindsay Graham near the end.

Damon was funny, hilarious actually.  They totally missed the essence of the panel though.   Cory Booker gets a "funny face"? No Spartacus reference?   Whitehouse, who asked some of the most ridiculous questions I've ever heard in a Senate hearing doesn't get made fun of at all?  But they did make fun of the "God" reference, because, well, "God". 

I thought the most hilarious part of the whole show, though, was the "frat party" where they had people doing dumb shit and then having the little "where are they now?" words underneath.  Well, except for the part where they showed two girls at the party, each with a little bag of coke and then froze the white girl and said "Fox News Anchor" and the audience went wild with laughter, then they froze the black girl and said "MSNBC Anchor" and the audience mumbled/murmured and you could hear an isolated "Ohhhh!" as in "wow that really bombed!".    I replayed it for my wife - who is relatively a-political, but leans left and despises both Trump and Kavanaugh - and even she said "what was that all about?". 

Then of course, there are the rumors that Kanye was told not to wear the MAGA hat (unconfirmed, of course) and during the last, third performance during the credits, most cast members left the stage.  Side splitting hilarity.   SNL was funny when it was silly and irreverent.  It's unabashedly political now and that's unfortunate.   

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1908 on: October 01, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Whatever one might think of him politically or personally, Al Franken was a lead writer on SNL for years,  in the time most people look back on as the show being good (whatever that means). Point is, it was just as political.

Online Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #1909 on: October 01, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
SNL was funny when it was silly and irreverent.  It's unabashedly political now and that's unfortunate.

Hey, Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer bits were hilarious.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: October 01, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
SNL was funny when it was silly and irreverent.  It's unabashedly political now and that's unfortunate.

Hey, Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer bits were hilarious.

Because it was silly and irreverent.  The podium-as-Sedgway.  The boxes of stuffed animals.  Hilarious.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1911 on: October 01, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
Whatever one might think of him politically or personally, Al Franken was a lead writer on SNL for years,  in the time most people look back on as the show being good (whatever that means). Point is, it was just as political.

Maybe so, maybe not.  But the cast was known as "The Not-Ready-For-Primetime Players".   The general thought among the cast and crew was as outsiders doing something outside the mainstream.   There was danger, there was abrasiveness.     There is nothing outside the mainstream about the current cast and tone. It's safe, it's predictable... it's like warm soup.  "Oh, look, how cute.  Kate KcKinnon as Ruth Bader Ginsburg! Alec Baldwin as Trump! What other non-cast member can we get in here to be part of the "in crowd"!    Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford wasn't political commentary, it was existential ridiculousness, ala Andy Kaufman.  After the dangerousness, the newness of SNL wore off, there was a respect, a kindness, a silliness to Will Farrell's Bush, or Darrell Hammond's Clinton.  Does anyone get even a WHIFF of "kindness" or "respect" to Baldwin's Trump?    Please. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1912 on: October 01, 2018, 09:47:46 AM »

That was actually one of the funnier lines in that skit, when he was asked if he prefers domestic or imported beers, and he screamed "AMERICAN! I like AMERICAN beers!"

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: October 01, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #1914 on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »

Maybe so, maybe not.  But the cast was known as "The Not-Ready-For-Primetime Players".   The general thought among the cast and crew was as outsiders doing something outside the mainstream.   There was danger, there was abrasiveness.     There is nothing outside the mainstream about the current cast and tone. It's safe, it's predictable... it's like warm soup.  "Oh, look, how cute.  Kate KcKinnon as Ruth Bader Ginsburg! Alec Baldwin as Trump! What other non-cast member can we get in here to be part of the "in crowd"!    Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford wasn't political commentary, it was existential ridiculousness, ala Andy Kaufman.  After the dangerousness, the newness of SNL wore off, there was a respect, a kindness, a silliness to Will Farrell's Bush, or Darrell Hammond's Clinton.  Does anyone get even a WHIFF of "kindness" or "respect" to Baldwin's Trump?    Please.

Not to take away from the funnies, I think all of the above is completely accurate - but it's more a reflection of the US Political climate as a whole, and not about the way that SNL satire's it.  SNL is simply a reflection of the society and culture - whether then, or now.
I didn't know I could handle another 10 inches and it was rough but in the end I'm glad I did it.
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: October 02, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »

Not to take away from the funnies, I think all of the above is completely accurate - but it's more a reflection of the US Political climate as a whole, and not about the way that SNL satire's it.  SNL is simply a reflection of the society and culture - whether then, or now.

I think you're spot on, but in one sense, that makes it even worse!  I suppose one look is that they are a mirror for us, but there's another argument that cutting edge humor isn't a reaction or a mirror, but ought to teach us soemthing about ourselves.   Carlin wasn't "warm and fuzzy".  I remember going to see Carlin in Vegas with some people I worked with (at GE at the time).  And it was a very subversively caustic set, as only Carlin could do, and at one point I - dressed in my light blue oxford and tan slacks, the "GE uniform" - leaned over and said "you know he's making fun of US, right?"    (Of course he did, but still).  That was the beauty of Carlin; he mocked you to your face and you not only took it, you laughed your ass off.  There was no "touchy feely, In-crowd" stuff with him.   There was no "hey, here's my buddy backstage, let's make fun of the OTHER people!", and that's the vibe from SNL now.  Colin Jost, Harvard alum and dating ScarJo and mocking Kavanaugh for being an elitist, privileged white boy?   Are you FUCKING kidding me?   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #1916 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »

Damon was funny, hilarious actually.  They totally missed the essence of the panel though.   Cory Booker gets a "funny face"? No Spartacus reference?   Whitehouse, who asked some of the most ridiculous questions I've ever heard in a Senate hearing doesn't get made fun of at all?  But they did make fun of the "God" reference, because, well, "God". 

I thought the most hilarious part of the whole show, though, was the "frat party" where they had people doing dumb shit and then having the little "where are they now?" words underneath.  Well, except for the part where they showed two girls at the party, each with a little bag of coke and then froze the white girl and said "Fox News Anchor" and the audience went wild with laughter, then they froze the black girl and said "MSNBC Anchor" and the audience mumbled/murmured and you could hear an isolated "Ohhhh!" as in "wow that really bombed!".    I replayed it for my wife - who is relatively a-political, but leans left and despises both Trump and Kavanaugh - and even she said "what was that all about?". 

Then of course, there are the rumors that Kanye was told not to wear the MAGA hat (unconfirmed, of course) and during the last, third performance during the credits, most cast members left the stage.  Side splitting hilarity.   SNL was funny when it was silly and irreverent.  It's unabashedly political now and that's unfortunate.

Thats a major reason I don't watch it anymore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1917 on: October 03, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
"Hey, McFly. I thought I told you never to come in here."

Yeah, yeah, yeah... thought the coincidental juxtaposition made for a humorous image, regardless of whether you personally see any parallels between the characters

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: October 14, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
So I watched the new SNL cold open about Kanye meeting Trump and it was fine. Few funny moments

Then I decided to start watching the actual 19 minute meeting. 6 minutes in.....this thing is freaking nuts. If SNL had just done this verbatim, they'd have been accused of being too outlandish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• First Follower

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: October 21, 2018, 03:23:39 AM »

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1921 on: October 21, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
Nailed it.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1922 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #1923 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
His next tweet is pure brilliance. I am amazed he has only 735,000 followers. How can only 3/4 of a million people want to know what this guy is doing on a Friday evening.

"I'm home. I'm on my couch. I made it through this week. Rewarding myself with pizza and no plans to get off this couch all weekend except to go to bed."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: October 28, 2018, 08:20:48 PM »
I read about 15 or so of his tweets, and I feel like I do when I hear Radiohead:  "how do I get those five minutes back???"

I didn't see one thing that would remotely make me guess "735K" for number of followers.