Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 96090 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Calvin6s

« Reply #246 on: September 05, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »

« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:42 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »
Ah, yes. Lowest common denominator humor that throws vulnerable minority's under the bus. Hilarious. I bet you're a huge Adam Sandler fan.

Take the Sanders hate to the 2016 thread.
Why, do you want to share the wealth?

I laughed. :clap:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2015, 06:25:13 AM »

I get that this is supposed to be funny and all, but if anyone actually thinks Obama is a worse person than Kim, they need to have their head examined.

For the record;

- The prison population decreased (nearly 10,000 inmates) for the first time since 1980 under Obama.
- Every president since 1945 has had a nuclear weapon on standby
- Children never died as a result of war under any president other than Obama. Can you believe that no children died in either Hiroshima or Nagasaki when we turned them to glass?
- Civilian death list? Source please.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
Ah, yes. Lowest common denominator humor that throws vulnerable minority's under the bus. Hilarious. I bet you're a huge Adam Sandler fan.

Take the Sanders hate to the 2016 thread.
Why, do you want to share the wealth?

I laughed. :clap:
All humor matters

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »

I get that this is supposed to be funny and all, but if anyone actually thinks Obama is a worse person than Kim, they need to have their head examined.

Listen, you and I are compadres on this, believe me.  I haven't seen one (well, there is ONE) funny thing on here, and I have to keep reminding myself "it's HUMOR!, lighten up, Francis!" but almost all of them stretch the truth to get to their 'funny' and in my view, it has a lot to do with where you fall on the political spectrum.   It just seems like taste, decorum, and any kind of respect goes out them windows when politics are concerned.   I mean, really, a president's head in the cross sights of a rifle?  C'mon.  But you can buy T-shirts of that right now if you Google the right thing, and it's "all meant in fun".  Wha????

Calvin6s

« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

I get that this is the humor thread.  Stadler seems to get that this is the humor thread.  Tick seems to get that this is the humor thread.  I'm seeing a pattern here.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
To be fair, regardless of political standings, it's not exactly the funniest joke. :P

Calvin6s

« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
To be fair, regardless of political standings, it's not exactly the funniest joke. :P

The thread is full of not funny jokes.  I think it is funny when people try to bring reason (from their perspective) to a joke. 

And it seems very clear that political standing determines the measure of the joke.  The bottom of the barrel to me seem to be movement scenes (almost everything in life) with an odd pause frame (which is usually most pause frames).

Pause TV to get something.  Oh look.  He's closing his eyes.  Looks like he is falling asleep.  He looks like he's going crazy.  She looks unhinged ... confused ... on drugs.  Press play.  Seems pretty normal.  It would probably be one of the things that bother me the most if I were a politician.  Picking a still picture to make the candidate they like to look saintly and the other to look like a raving lunatic, even though it could have went the other way a couple clicks later.

But this is the humor thread.  Trying to fact check humor is pretty small.  "That's an exaggeration."  No shit.  It's a joke.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:18:57 AM by Calvin6s »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
Exactly. The real discussion rightfully belongs in the rest of the P/R forum. This thread is about entertainment. That said, I'm not a fan of making fun of people, and I think there is plenty of good-natured political humor that doesn't have to bully a person/group/party/philosophy to be humorous.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
EVERYTHING I post in this thread is 100% certified funny. :tup

but other stuff isn't. I just don't really like to point out that the Obama/Chung King meme wasn't really humor...IMO

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
Except that humor is supposed to touch the common denominator. Cross lines.  You're supposed to listen to George Carlin and say "whoa, why didn't I think of that?", whether you're a hippie or work in corporate America, or Jerry Seinfeld and say "Whoa, how did he notice that? And now that he says it, he's right!" whether you have time to worry about the parking space you're in or not, or Louis CK and say "Wow, that is some fucked up shit" whether you've even have a sister, let alone thought about spanking it to her, or Jim Gaffigan and say "Aww, isn't that cute" whether you have kids or not.

This is just "Uh, okay, you're making [bald faced lies/funny pictures] of my guy, so I'll make [bald faced lies/funny pictures] about your guy".   Contrast that with SNL where EVERYONE laughed at Daryl Hammond's Clinton, or Carvey's Bush Sr., or Farrell's Bush Jr., or whatever her name is now's Hillary.   

Offline TL

« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
One thing most of us may actually be able to agree on;
Maybe MML shouldn't have a picture of someone about to gun down innocent people on camera in a humor thread? (Last image in his most recent post there, if anyone is wondering/lucky enough to have not seen that video).

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »
Maybe MML shouldn't have a picture of someone about to gun down innocent people on camera in a humor thread? (Last image in his most recent post there, if anyone is wondering/lucky enough to have not seen that video).

It's to illustrate a point about what a weakling Sanders is.

« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2015, 04:00:32 AM »
The great Vox Day just shared this. A few DTF'ers would do well to study this image until the message sinks in:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2015, 08:10:38 AM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
:lol I can imagine them having a beer together and just saying, "Man, this country sucks."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TL

« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2015, 03:57:25 PM »
The great Vox Day just shared this. A few DTF'ers would do well to study this image until the message sinks in:

Unless you think Mexicans are going to slaughter white people en masse, this isn't really a similar situation.
Mexican immigrants also don't have some of the most powerful empires in the world backing them, and their intentions are drastically different (impoverished people looking for better lives for their families aren't exactly the British Empire circa the 16/1700s).
Plus, the US isn't 100% white to begin with.

Also, interactions between various First Nations and European nations were quite varied. For instance, the French and First Nations belonging to the Wabanaki Confederacy actually got along quite well, with many French settles adapting quite a bit to Indigenous ways of life.

Your insistence that anything that isn't traditional white american culture is bad is really unsettling.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
I think it's actually talking about Muslims, not Mexicans.

Your insistence that anything that isn't traditional white american culture is bad is really unsettling.

Consider the source here. Look up Vox Day if you're not familiar with the guy.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TL

« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
I think it's actually talking about Muslims, not Mexicans.

Consider the source here. Look up Vox Day if you're not familiar with the guy.

I will look him up, though I'm guessing in advance that this is going to be one of those things where I was happier not knowing about it.

Something I'll concede; I am in part going for a cheap shot instead of actually having a discussion.

I may regret asking this, but MML, why are you concerned about people from other cultures coming to the United States? Isn't the US supposed to pride itself on being a free, constantly changing society that accepts all kinds and welcomes immigrants with open arms? Honestly, compared to the conflict between some groups of early European immigrants, I can't imagine anything particularly bad happening as a result of modern immigration to the US.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #270 on: September 21, 2015, 06:58:55 AM »

You omit one or two basic facts and it sounds plausible, that's good propaganda.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »

I may regret asking this, but MML, why are you concerned about people from other cultures coming to the United States? Isn't the US supposed to pride itself on being a free, constantly changing society that accepts all kinds and welcomes immigrants with open arms? Honestly, compared to the conflict between some groups of early European immigrants, I can't imagine anything particularly bad happening as a result of modern immigration to the US.

Not at all taking MML's side or defending him/her, but as a general point, be careful.   There is a world apart from what you wrote there - describing almost every wave of immigration from 1776 through, let's for arguments' sake say 1980 (though that is arbitrary) and what we're dealing with today.   

The European immigrants - and full disclosure I am only two generations removed from the people in my family that got on the boat and made it through Ellis Island - came here with the intention of being part of that melting pot.  Of making concessions and compromises in order to receive and accept that which this country had to offer.   They assimilated language (my Dad spoke Polish up until grade school, and then it was English or don't talk.   He regrets not remembering more of the Polish, but his obligation was to do his part).   They worked the jobs they had to work to build something.   All my grandparents generation worked in machine shops and the like.   Many joined the military to contribute (my great uncle was in Jimmy Carter's graduating class at Annapolis; that yearbook is like gold in our family).  They made it a requirement that their kids finish high school, and (for the boys, okay, we weren't perfect) at least give college a try.   They made sure they had paperwork.  They made sure they took the oath.  And so what if a couple letters got chopped from the name, so what if they had to move around a little bit (I've got family in Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut in terms of where the immigrants settled), it was the price they paid for assimilation, and what they felt they had to contribute in order to avail themselves of the benefits of living in this great nation of ours.

If you can tell me with a straight face that the immigrants we're talking about are doing that (and I can tell you from personal experience that you cannot) then you're probably right.  Trump came off xenophobic in how he said it, and it doesn't trump Rubio and Bush's points on the same subject, but he had a symbolic point with his comment about the national language being "English".  It's called a "social contract" for a reason, and the operative word is "contract".  Without consideration from BOTH sides, it is not a contract it is a gift. 

Offline TL

« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
When I say 'early European immigrants', I'm mainly talking about Europeans who came over in the 1600s and 1700s. That's the strawman argument MML was using.
What I was getting at is that I don't see any group of immigrants coming to the US and attempting a violent takeover like what the English attempted against many First Nations and against French colonists.

MML seemed to feel that there was an inherent risk from people immigrating to the US and retaining some of their own culture. That there was some vague risk being imposed against 'traditional' American culture (whatever the heck that means). I was disagreeing with that.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2015, 04:15:34 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

It's to illustrate a point about what a weakling Sanders is.

I'm just now seeing this. You're using an innocent woman seconds before she was murdered as a "joke" about a politician who literally had nothing at all to do with anything involved in the situation. That was honestly way, way over any lines of even decent human behavior.

for the record, the Walmartyrs and the can haz cheeseburgers are my favorites so far.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
Speaking of which.

BTW...this isn't shopped.   This is the actual cover of the May 1st 2012 issue.   I just thought the similarities were hilarious.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Calvin6s

« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »
The two tenors

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »