Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 96100 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
Hillary Supporters Like Trump's Tax Plan

This is not at all surprising, but that is the American way, isn't it? I think a test to vote is a more serious option that a lot of people would have you believe.

Calvin6s

« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Hillary Supporters Like Trump's Tax Plan

This is not at all surprising, but that is the American way, isn't it? I think a test to vote is a more serious option that a lot of people would have you believe.

I liked the guy that said something like "guess I'm gonna have to vote for Trump then."  Of course, that is an over-correction based off one policy issue, but it took some character to say something at least like "my perceptions might have been biased.  Maybe I need to reconsider all the candidates again."  The lady that responded "Oh, I hate him" makes my skin crawl.  She doubled down on stupid.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »
I don't get it - one provides a service where the other is denying a service. How is there a correlation here?

Um, perhaps a too literal reading of the idea?  They are both on the wrong side of the majority, from a morals perspective, but the son/man of God embraces them anyway, as one would expect.

Calvin6s

« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »

Online portnoy311

« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
I don't get it - one provides a service where the other is denying a service. How is there a correlation here?

Um, perhaps a too literal reading of the idea?  They are both on the wrong side of the majority, from a morals perspective, but the son/man of God embraces them anyway, as one would expect.

I'm not going to lie, the Pope firing the person who put together his meeting with Davis makes me happy. And not just because I disagree with Davis (I don't think I need to clarify why I do not at all enjoy this woman), but because it doesn't conflict with this Pope's message. He has been as inclusive as possible. Which does clash with Davis. The cartoon falls flat because a more apt comparison would be Jesus putting his arms around a homosexual and Davis being the one heckling them.

Although, I don't really care, and probably shouldn't meddle in what Christianity does or doesn't teach. Any more than the average Joe Schmoe does with Islam, Buddhism, etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:56:58 PM by portnoy311 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: October 06, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
@portnoy311, this isn't at you, specifically, because a couple people have commented on this, but why are we telling the cartoonist what message he SHOULD send?  He sent the message he wanted to, and frankly, I think it is better than the messages we apparently want him to send.  We're looking at this Pope and his actions through OUR lenses, and sometimes that isn't the best way to see things, especially when the other actor is (likely) pretty far removed from our experiences. 

I have been clear; I don't support Davis, and believe she should be in jail.  Having said that, I don't at all agree with the mob mentality that "no one should talk to her".  If her message is so abhorrent, if it is so wrong, let her yell it from the top of the mountains.  If you are right, it will be rejected with the vigor and swiftness it deserves.   Have faith in your ideas (presumably they deserve that faith).   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #321 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
I might be entering dangerous territory here, but I'm being serious when I ask this.

I think people would be upset over the Kim Davis thing regardless of circumstance, but do you think her looks are responsible for a lot of the sheer hate the world is showing her? I think it's definitely part of it. I don't think the country even realizes how embedded looks and appearance have become when making judgements on people.

Had Kim Davis looked liked either of these teachers who got caught fucking their students, I think more people would be willing to give her camera time and a chance to speak.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #322 on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
I might be entering dangerous territory here, but I'm being serious when I ask this.

I think people would be upset over the Kim Davis thing regardless of circumstance, but do you think her looks are responsible for a lot of the sheer hate the world is showing her? I think it's definitely part of it. I don't think the country even realizes how embedded looks and appearance have become when making judgements on people.

Had Kim Davis looked liked either of these teachers who got caught fucking their students, I think more people would be willing to give her camera time and a chance to speak.

I don't think there's any doubt we live in a superficial world where people are absolutely judged by appearance.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Calvin6s

« Reply #323 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »

I don't think there's any doubt we live in a superficial world where people are absolutely judged by appearance.

I don't think there's any doubt we live in a superficial world where I wish I was back in school again.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #325 on: October 07, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »

This is in the humor thread because that's a knock off hat. Trumps are actually made in the USA.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
And that is funny, but much like the "comparing household expenses to national economies", I hate that knee-jerk "made in America" stuff too.   We're the best educated, richest country in the world.  We should not be making hats.  We should be making/advancing technology, we should be teaching, we should be administering health care...  That's part of the reason our wages are so low and why we're struggling.  We're fighting to keep crappy jobs instead of setting the bar higher.  Trade for this stuff, don't make it ourselves.   Think of John Petrucci writing and recording door bell chimes instead of the new DT epic.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
I'd rather see people make hats, jeans, t-shirts and sneakers instead of collecting unemployment.

Calvin6s

« Reply #328 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:36 AM »
We shouldn't be making hats?  You totally lost me on this one.  We should have jobs at all levels.  Back to humor.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: October 08, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »
Of course, there are no absolutes.  But are either of you married?   Or a part of a club or something?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #330 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Of course, there are no absolutes.  But are either of you married?   Or a part of a club or something?

I own a house with my girlfriend, belong to several R/C clubs, and volunteer as a mentor for six weeks a year as a mentor for a robotics team. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: October 08, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »

I own a house with my girlfriend, belong to several R/C clubs, and volunteer as a mentor for six weeks a year as a mentor for a robotics team.

Okay; ever have a fund raiser through your R/C club?   You have an in with a guy who has a smoker, so you bring that.   Another guy works at a deli, so he brings the meat.   Third girl has a cousin that works at a liquor store, so she does that.   Fourth guy has a KILLER brisket recipe, so he's on that... and so on.

Does it make sense for you to bring the meat?  Does it make sense for the deli worker to get the liquor?  Does it make sense for the girl to make the brisket?  Of course not.  You go with your strengths, and you go with gets you to the best place the most efficiently.  We have workers that are capable of making high technology goods.   In essence, their skill set is wasted in stitching hats.  Get someone who's maximum skill set is stitching hats to do that, we do what is at our maximum capability, and trade.   

Again, not an absolute thing, but certainly, when you read about companies shifting work around the globe, the knee jerk reaction is "DO IT ALL HERE".  And that is a fallacy.  When you add in the "I'm not going to move!" and the "that work is BENEATH ME!" nonsense, you get into a situation where your idea (the right one, by the way) that we should do SOME work over NO work doesn't actually get put into practice.  Plus, and you know this Chino, when you have States like Connecticut that seem to be doing everything they possibly can to make it as expensive as possible to run a business, how do you justify paying someone $15 an hour to stitch hats?   (With benefits, that costs the company something like $45 dollars per hour).  It's not economically feasible.  It's just not.

Calvin6s

« Reply #332 on: October 08, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
Again, not an absolute thing
Speaking of absolute, you are doing the 180 degree absolute of the "DO IT ALL HERE" crowd.

I've worked in the garment industry on a multi-national level as a purchasing agent.  One of those subsets was embroidery.  It isn't some "old maid" with a needle.  It's being done with extremely expensive machinery run by rather complex software.

There is also a question of quality.  One of my vendors was Madeira USA.  So this stuff is still alive in the USA and quite a few jobs are at stake.  On the quality, we carried a line of China Thread.  We carried it for ignorant demands only.   Our sales rep would beg their client not to use it, even though it was the best thread out of China.  It was half the price though, so we'd sell it just so the client could satisfy their curiosity.  The next order was ALWAYS right back to Madeira (out of New Hampshire).

I get offended when people decide that certain jobs are beneath America.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #333 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »

Okay; ever have a fund raiser through your R/C club?   You have an in with a guy who has a smoker, so you bring that.   Another guy works at a deli, so he brings the meat.   Third girl has a cousin that works at a liquor store, so she does that.   Fourth guy has a KILLER brisket recipe, so he's on that... and so on.

Does it make sense for you to bring the meat?  Does it make sense for the deli worker to get the liquor?  Does it make sense for the girl to make the brisket?  Of course not.  You go with your strengths, and you go with gets you to the best place the most efficiently.  We have workers that are capable of making high technology goods.   In essence, their skill set is wasted in stitching hats.  Get someone who's maximum skill set is stitching hats to do that, we do what is at our maximum capability, and trade.   

Again, not an absolute thing, but certainly, when you read about companies shifting work around the globe, the knee jerk reaction is "DO IT ALL HERE".  And that is a fallacy.  When you add in the "I'm not going to move!" and the "that work is BENEATH ME!" nonsense, you get into a situation where your idea (the right one, by the way) that we should do SOME work over NO work doesn't actually get put into practice.  Plus, and you know this Chino, when you have States like Connecticut that seem to be doing everything they possibly can to make it as expensive as possible to run a business, how do you justify paying someone $15 an hour to stitch hats?   (With benefits, that costs the company something like $45 dollars per hour).  It's not economically feasible.  It's just not.

I guess I just don't see how making a hat is any different than any other article of clothing. There's a company called Diamond Gusset in Tennessee that makes jeans. They are a fantastic product. The jeans are expensive as hell, but they've been in business like 25 years now. There are other companies that make leather jackets, dresses, suits, shirts, and many of them do very well. There's economic feasibility in there somewhere. It has to be. We have companies to prove it. The bigger problem is that we have a nation consisting of large demographics that can only afford clothes made in China.

I'd love to take this discussion into its' own thread. It's a good one.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:18:49 PM by Chino »

Calvin6s

« Reply #334 on: October 08, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »
I'm for that.  Should the thread simply be called "Made in the USA" so it captures more subtopics: outsourcing, NAFTA, TPP, etc ?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #335 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
I'm for that.  Should the thread simply be called "Made in the USA" so it captures more subtopics: outsourcing, NAFTA, TPP, etc ?

Works for me.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Calvin6s

« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Nice.  What about Photoshopping in Ben Stern's head per Stadler's comments?

Offline Prog Snob

• In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2015, 05:02:04 AM »
We shouldn't be making hats?  You totally lost me on this one.  We should have jobs at all levels. 

Online portnoy311

« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
And that is funny, but much like the "comparing household expenses to national economies", I hate that knee-jerk "made in America" stuff too.   We're the best educated, richest country in the world.  We should not be making hats.  We should be making/advancing technology, we should be teaching, we should be administering health care...  That's part of the reason our wages are so low and why we're struggling.  We're fighting to keep crappy jobs instead of setting the bar higher.  Trade for this stuff, don't make it ourselves.   Think of John Petrucci writing and recording door bell chimes instead of the new DT epic.

This is my thoughts on this stuff as well.

I personally always get annoyed when stuff is over the top about being made in the US. So it'll cost twice as much, and its selling point is the unskilled labor it was made by? Why is that a good thing? I'm not advocating for Nike and Apple level of using borderline slave labor, but I'm much more interested in seeing software and technology developed here. The US is (and should be) a world leader in software development, not in stitching together shitty clothing.

Offline TL

« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
:lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2015, 05:59:13 AM »
and its selling point is the unskilled labor it was made by? Why is that a good thing?

Because otherwise those people are just sitting around collecting free check from me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2015, 07:48:27 AM »
and its selling point is the unskilled labor it was made by? Why is that a good thing?

Because otherwise those people are just sitting around collecting free check from me.

And I've clearly said that has to be a concern.   But it should be a temporary fix at best to get them back in the work place, NOT a career move.  And if they're going to do that, at least let it be the jeans you've mentioned, not shitty hats you can buy on Canal Street in New York fo $10, $15 for two. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »

And I've clearly said that has to be a concern.   But it should be a temporary fix at best to get them back in the work place, NOT a career move.  And if they're going to do that, at least let it be the jeans you've mentioned, not shitty hats you can buy on Canal Street in New York fo $10, $15 for two.

I'm all for that. Anything that could get people experience is a good thing. Doesn't matter what that experience is in, it's a proving ground to show that they can be somewhere on time and follow instructions. It gives people an opportunity to get something on their resume. Even if they were making the cheap hats for canal street, I fail to see a difference between someone stiching a hat for minimum wage vs. someone pouring my coffee in the morning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

I'm all for that. Anything that could get people experience is a good thing. Doesn't matter what that experience is in, it's a proving ground to show that they can be somewhere on time and follow instructions. It gives people an opportunity to get something on their resume. Even if they were making the cheap hats for canal street, I fail to see a difference between someone stiching a hat for minimum wage vs. someone pouring my coffee in the morning.

That's a very different discussion.  If you could have an automaton in China serve you coffee in Bristol, we'd be having a different conversation.  That's the point, though, isn't it?  I'd rather the guy/girl serving coffee instead of feeding thread into a crappy stitching machine.    The hat manufacturer has lower cost options, they should be able to take advantage of them to stay competitive in the world economy.  The coffee shop you frequent cannot.   It's apples to oranges. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »
Within a decade we will have the ability to fully automate a dunkin donuts with as much ease as we do a hat machine.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
Within a decade we will have the ability to fully automate a dunkin donuts with as much ease as we do a hat machine.

Okay; we're already there anyway (ever walk into a Cumberland Farms? Or a Wawa?)

Still, apples and oranges.   You can't go to China to get a coffee, realistically.  You go to the coffee, the hat comes to you. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #349 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »