Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 126860 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #2415 on: March 04, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
I doubt his intention was to offend me personally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2416 on: March 04, 2020, 11:42:11 AM »
I doubt his intention was to offend me personally.

It was to offend anyone that would bite.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2417 on: March 04, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2418 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »
Chino, with all due respect, you aren't allowed to insist on exclusive knowledge of someone else's intentions.  If that is the way you are going to discuss issues in this subforum, you can see yourself out.  He made a post that was arguably insensitive/tasteless/offensive to many, and you are free to react any way you like.  But you can't go after someone for their intentions and lump them in with others you happen to disagree with.  That's a textbook personal attack.  Come on, man!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:02:37 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TL

« Reply #2419 on: March 04, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
Tick, you are a racist, and you're pathetic. Rethink your life.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2420 on: March 04, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
Look, I know Tick. I like him. I've found him to be courteous and respectful out in the real world. I stick up for him far more than most others here do/would. Moreover, I have a fairly strong interest in fairness, as I'm sure people have noticed before. In this case simply trolling is the best possible interpretation, because the only real alternative is simply being a racist ass, which I don't really figure is the case. Frankly, Chino's giving him the best possible intention.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2421 on: March 04, 2020, 12:17:32 PM »
Tick, you are a racist, and you're pathetic. Rethink your life.
TL, that goes for you as well.  That type of post is completely inappropriate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2422 on: March 04, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

Damn... Michelle Obama has really let herself go. :'(

I am not sure if this is a reference to something I missed (since I'm not super up on American news) or if you just took a picture of a random not good looking black character and used to insult Michelle Obama, who is also black.

I truly, and sincerely, hope it was the former.

Nope, no reference to anything I am aware of.  Looks to be the latter...and I'm really not surprised.
It's Blacula which is an iconic 70's vampire who looks like Michele Obama. She should be honored. Don't you agree?

And Eric I'm never surprised when you don't agree with anything I say or do but really who cares what you think anyhow.

Digging the hole deeper I see.

Curious why you would only respond to me here, especially when others objected more strenuously.
And many people here care about what we BOTH think and say.  But I’m not the one people are calling out for that shitty post, and now even shittier response.

Good luck man, you need it, and think about changing your approach to this.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2423 on: March 04, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
Chino, with all due respect, you aren't allowed to insist on exclusive knowledge of someone else's intentions.  If that is the way you are going to discuss issues in this subforum, you can see yourself out.  He made a post that was arguably insensitive/tasteless/offensive to many, and you are free to react any way you like.  But you can't go after someone for their intentions and lump them in with others you happen to disagree with.  That's a textbook personal attack.  Come on, man!

Noted, and Tick is more than free to defend himself and make me look like a fool for being wrong if he wishes. I'll be honest, Bosk, with all due respect, it kind of blows my mind that I'm the one getting a warning here and you haven't said a word to Tick for what was clearly an overly offensive shit-post made with no prerogative (I am speculating here, not claiming to have "executive knowledge of someone else's intentions") other than to stir the pot. 

The above is not being said in an angry tone.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:44:10 PM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2424 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »
In fairness, most if not all posts in this thread are offensive to somebody and/or designed to stir the pot. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2425 on: March 04, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »
Look, I know Tick. I like him. I've found him to be courteous and respectful out in the real world. I stick up for him far more than most others here do/would. Moreover, I have a fairly strong interest in fairness, as I'm sure people have noticed before. In this case simply trolling is the best possible interpretation, because the only real alternative is simply being a racist ass, which I don't really figure is the case. Frankly, Chino's giving him the best possible intention.
Thank you. I've always enjoyed hanging with you and hope I do again someday.

TL, I'll adress you calling me a racist. I am most certainly not a racist. My humor is a bit off for some but if anything you can consider my post crude and tasteless if that's how you feel but it had nothing to do with race or color. It has to do with me thinking Michelle Obama is ugly and looks like Blackula to me. Simple as that. If I posted a picture of an ugly white guy and said "man Hillary Clinton has really let herself go!" would I still be labeled racist? It could be construed as classless, tasteless, rude. Not intended to be racist.

I guess I'm not racist to the point I didn't even consider it would be seen as such.

My apologies if that truly offended everyone. It surely was not my intent.

And Eric, I guess I responded to you personally because you don't care for me and seem to have nothing but disdain for me.

In any event. I guess my sense of humor is better kept to myself.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2426 on: March 04, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
Thank you. I've always enjoyed hanging with you and hope I do again someday.
Well, in all fairness I was defending Chino and not your post, but back at ya.  :tup

I'm thinking the problem is twofold. Partly, there's the whole "they all look the same" aspect of it. I see absolutely zero resemblance between the two of them. If you can point to a picture where she looks like Blackula, go for it, but for now it just seems like a random shot at her for no real reason. The other problem is that it's a random shot at her for no real reason, even if there were a resemblance, which there's not. Comparing Nancy Pelosi and the Cryptkeeper makes sense. She's topical and there actually is some resemblance. This just seemed like going well out of your way to rag on a black woman.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2427 on: March 04, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »

So Bart, I'm going to say these pictures are what made me think Blacula looks like Michelle Obama much as some thinks Pelosi looks like the crypt keeper even though to me she is more Cruella Deville or the evil mom from Coraline,  but that's just me.

But to Bosks point earlier, this thread wreaks of offending content so I could be offended by stuff but I take this thread for what it is. If I posted the picture in a Michelle Obama appreciation thread I would have been a complete dick.

Some may feel I am regardless but I'm pretty sure you don't think I made the post with racist intent.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I am he as you are he as you are me
« Reply #2428 on: March 04, 2020, 01:25:17 PM »
I think it's very much possible to joke about race without being a racist, even if the joke is crass. Most comedians worth half a damn will tell you the same thing. Humor is a very nuanced subject.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2429 on: March 04, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
I think it's very much possible to joke about race without being a racist, even if the joke is crass. Most comedians worth half a damn will tell you the same thing. Humor is a very nuanced subject.
True. But in the case of my offending post it was about me thinking Michelle Obama is ugly and Blacula reminded me of her. I'm a bizarre off beat person, not a racist. My post had zero to do with them being black no matter what anyone thinks I mean't. I'm an honest guy, I would say that was my intent if it truly was.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2430 on: March 04, 2020, 01:37:54 PM »
Snip
Yeah, I don't see it. MO isn't the most feminine person I've ever seen, but she's certainly not mannish. Balkula is about as masculine as it get's, though.

Also, Christ man, that Fine Report place is going to rot your brain. Seriously, you should check with your doctor to make sure it hasn't caused any neurological problems yet. Just lookin' out for ya, man.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2431 on: March 04, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
I think this actually brings up something that bugs me. I don't think we understand racism anymore. It seems anything that isn't over the top racist, like the N word, or wanting to kill a group of people is no longer okay to call racist. I would definitely call Tick's post racist even if it's not intended to be and he doesn't feel any sense of hatred or anything toward black people. Racism isn't always intended, and it isn't always Nazis and KKK members. Racism is extremely complex and I feel like everyone thinks they're not racist and that calling someone racist or saying they are saying/doing something racist is not actually more insulting than the racist thing in question.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2432 on: March 04, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
True. But in the case of my offending post it was about me thinking Michelle Obama is ugly and Blacula reminded me of her. I'm a bizarre off beat person, not a racist. My post had zero to do with them being black no matter what anyone thinks I mean't. I'm an honest guy, I would say that was my intent if it truly was.

I think the main problem most are having with your post, Tick, is that someone being ugly isn't really grounds for a joke or humor. It's more of a cheap jab. Someone can't control how their genes make their face look, and it comes off as a low blow. Whereas most of the stuff in this thread, at least as much as I can remember, is generally rooted in something the person being made of does/chose to do. It's usually always something always in the present (i.e Trump claiming the non-photoshopped version of his horrible tan job was photoshopped). Trump lies about his height to throw off his BMI, and he wouldn't be fat if he ate green things and didn't think humans have a finite amount of energy (like a battery) and therefore doesn't exercise in fear of depleting it. Seeing as he's made fun of other people's weight, his weight is fair game. He wouldn't be orange if he didn't paint himself orange and then blame it on energy efficient light bulbs instead. He's torn people apart for their looks in public and at rallies. Making fun of his is fair game. He gets made fun of for being dumb after saying he has "like, a very smart brain" but then says the sounds of windmills causes cancer. I can't recall a single instance of Michelle ever being called out for speaking ill toward anyone, so attacking her out of the blue like you did for something as petty as the face God gave her is just hard to wrap my head around.

Had Michelle been in the news a lot lately, and/or were somehow tied to vampires in any way shape or form, your post would have been fine. Instead, all your post seemed to say was "I still hate Michelle Obama. I still think she's ugly. I'm going to disguise my hatred for her uncontrollable looks as humor and post it on DTF". That's how it came off to me anyway. 

For what it's worth. Race never crossed my mind. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:58:48 PM by Chino »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2433 on: March 04, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »
Snip
Yeah, I don't see it. MO isn't the most feminine person I've ever seen, but she's certainly not mannish. Balkula is about as masculine as it get's, though.

Also, Christ man, that Fine Report place is going to rot your brain. Seriously, you should check with your doctor to make sure it hasn't caused any neurological problems yet. Just lookin' out for ya, man.
What is, "Fine Report"?
I merely googled Michelle Obama and found those pictures. Simple as that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: March 04, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »
I think this actually brings up something that bugs me. I don't think we understand racism anymore. It seems anything that isn't over the top racist, like the N word, or wanting to kill a group of people is no longer okay to call racist. I would definitely call Tick's post racist even if it's not intended to be and he doesn't feel any sense of hatred or anything toward black people. Racism isn't always intended, and it isn't always Nazis and KKK members. Racism is extremely complex and I feel like everyone thinks they're not racist and that calling someone racist or saying they are saying/doing something racist is not actually more insulting than the racist thing in question.

I was going to make a post addressing this but in the opposite way. I think certain words are both overused and misused in our current society, racism being the chief offender. I see racism thrown around when things are merely prejudiced, and there's a fine line between the two but most people seem to use them interchangeably. Racism is indeed extremely complex but I feel a lot of people are diminishing the severity of accusations of racism by throwing it around willy nilly when not everything people see as bad or hateful is implicitly racist. I feel there's a stark difference between something being racial and something being racist, personally.

Although I think your post is accurate to a certain group of the population as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:00:08 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Adami

« Reply #2435 on: March 04, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »
But it seems you’re doing the same thing, assuming racism is only for hate filled things and the like. It’s not. We CAN be racist without any malice or even knowing that we’re doing it

And when we soften the language, it just gets brushed aside. Whatever we call it, it matters less. We’re at a point where “racism= bad” and as long as we can agree it’s not racism, it’s fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #2436 on: March 04, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
The reason racism crossed my mind is that such jabs have been made ad Michelle for years by racist people, as in the same peopwho would hang Obama in effigy. For me, to let it happen at any level is to condone it.

And tick, we all know Steve Howe has the crypt keeper market cornered, don't even bring that shit here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: March 04, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
But it seems you’re doing the same thing, assuming racism is only for hate filled things and the like. It’s not. We CAN be racist without any malice or even knowing that we’re doing it

And when we soften the language, it just gets brushed aside. Whatever we call it, it matters less. We’re at a point where “racism= bad” and as long as we can agree it’s not racism, it’s fine.

You're incorrectly assuming what I think about racism. Racism is defined as prejudice or antagonism "based on the belief that one's own race is superior." That quoted part is key. I do not assume that racism is only for hate-filled things, I believe racism comes from a deeper belief that someone is inferior or less of a person than you because they look different or have a different heritage than you. Racism is a specific type of prejudice. I strongly believe in making a clear distinction between the two and not mixing them up, but I have to stress that I don't think racism is simply only applicable toward hatred. I really hope I'm communicating my intentions here thoroughly and not giving the wrong impression.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2438 on: March 04, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with that.  We might disagree on practical application in certain situations, but I agree with you on the baseline.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: March 04, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
Who's that in response to, bosk?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2440 on: March 04, 2020, 02:34:30 PM »
You.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: March 04, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2442 on: March 04, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »
Ok...
I'm a dickhead. Lets move on. I'm sorry I caused this level of unrest in this happy humorous thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #2443 on: March 04, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »

So what is it then?  Notwithstanding that "racist" has achieved a societal meaning, and thus, yes, being called "racist" can be as bad as the underlying issue, are you saying that "The NFL is 65% African American" - or something similar, which references race but isn't intended to be derogatory - is then "racist"? 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2444 on: March 04, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »

I played around on ancestry and found some old high school photos of my father and discovered that my father was Austin Powers...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #2445 on: March 04, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »
Holy crap :o

Anyhoo, I came in to re-funny the thread myself...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2446 on: March 04, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »

I played around on ancestry and found some old high school photos of my father and discovered that my father was Austin Powers...

His quote should read "I also like to live...dangerously."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2447 on: March 05, 2020, 08:17:57 AM »
Holy crap :o

Anyhoo, I came in to re-funny the thread myself...

:clap: :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2448 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »
Since when is a military occupation considered small government?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2449 on: March 10, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
Exclusive nude Trump photo emerges...