Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 126867 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #2345 on: March 02, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »
I was getting ready to say that the pic itself was from Blacula, a 70s blaxploitation vampire film.

I don't know, the movie kind of sucked.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #2346 on: March 02, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
 :lol

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I am he as you are he as you are me
« Reply #2347 on: March 02, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
So, why do we get outraged at the Obama comparison but not any of the Trump mockery? Asking for a friend. I know my answer, just thought I'd put it out there. Note that this is not a defense of the joke about Michelle Obama

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2348 on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
So, why do we get outraged at the Obama comparison but not any of the Trump mockery? Asking for a friend. I know my answer, just thought I'd put it out there. Note that this is not a defense of the joke about Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama never made fun of and/or imitated a handicapped person at a campaign rally.

Michelle also doesn't refer to herself in the third person and say things like “From what I hear, if you look at Mr. Pillsbury, the leading authority on China ... he was saying that China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump’s very, very large brain.”

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2349 on: March 02, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »

I also think it's how. This specific thing has no substance other than potential racism. You know? If they wanted to actually mock Obama, that'd be one thing. But if I put a pic of Bela Legosi as Dracula and said "wow, Trump's not looking so good these days" or whatever, the reaction would just be "....huh?" It wouldn't even be considered mocking because it would make no actual sense. This was done because she's black and so is the dude in the pic. That's it. There's no actual commentary going on besides potentially racist insults. So I see that as the main difference.

I say potential racism because apparently it's no longer okay to ever accuse anyone of having racist tendencies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »
(edit: this was to RJ initially) Right, and I agree with that, however, why do we get enraged at what some perceive to be race-based mockery and hatred, yet the mockery of pretty much every physical characteristic of Trump is welcomed and rarely pushed back on? That's the crux of my question; you can see the difference in reaction here vs. whenever someone talks about 'the fat orange dipshit in the White house.' Are we justifying double standards to the same type of behavior because one person is abhorrent? Or do we see these as two completely separate behaviors with no real connection? Trying to pry a little intellectually into this because I do think it's interesting

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2351 on: March 02, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
(edit: this was to RJ initially) Right, and I agree with that, however, why do we get enraged at what some perceive to be race-based mockery and hatred, yet the mockery of pretty much every physical characteristic of Trump is welcomed and rarely pushed back on? That's the crux of my question; you can see the difference in reaction here vs. whenever someone talks about 'the fat orange dipshit in the White house.' Are we justifying double standards to the same type of behavior because one person is abhorrent? Or do we see these as two completely separate behaviors with no real connection? Trying to pry a little intellectually into this because I do think it's interesting

Being honest here... Race didn't even cross my mind with Tick's post. He was calling her ugly first and foremost, and based on prior posts he's made, he may or may not have an issue with smart women of power.

Also, I make fun of Trump's weight because of shit like him lying about his height to distort his BMI. I make fun of his tiny hands because he's made it a point to say they are big. I make fun of his orange face because he colors his face orange and blames the color on energy efficient light bulbs. I make fun of his intelligence because he says the sound windmills generate causes cancer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:53:44 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2352 on: March 02, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »

I also think it's how. This specific thing has no substance other than potential racism. You know? If they wanted to actually mock Obama, that'd be one thing. But if I put a pic of Bela Legosi as Dracula and said "wow, Trump's not looking so good these days" or whatever, the reaction would just be "....huh?" It wouldn't even be considered mocking because it would make no actual sense. This was done because she's black and so is the dude in the pic. That's it. There's no actual commentary going on besides potentially racist insults. So I see that as the main difference.

I say potential racism because apparently it's no longer okay to ever accuse anyone of having racist tendencies.

I agree but I'm only holding out of calling it racist because Tick hasn't explained himself.  If there's a joke in there that I'm missing for example. 

I think Trump's actions bring on those jokes.  The low blow humor on Trump usually has something behind it, whether it's something he said or did.  I haven't seen too much of that mockery here go too far, it usually seems in line with his current actions.  Having said that, I don't typically find those jokes to be too funny or interesting when it's just based on being orange which even then is because he tans himself, not based on anything that he naturally was born with.   

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: March 02, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »
So - and to be clear, this is my position - are we justifying the outrage on the basis that Michelle Obama cannot control that she is black? Because I agree with that justification; Trump can control that weird orange stuff he puts on his skin, and his rhetoric, and his tweets, and his weight, and his fake hair, and when he says he's in the best shape of any president ever, that's obviously laughable, and people rightly ridicule such stupid statements. Michelle, obviously, can't control being black. But if we're justifying it merely because Trump says things we don't like, I'm not sure that flies. I'm wondering if that's the justification some people here are using, which is what I'm splitting hairs on; I agree with mocking Trump if [this], but not [that].

Just some food for thought on my lunch hour.

Online Adami

« Reply #2354 on: March 02, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »

They serve different purposes psychologically. Trump is currently the most powerfu.....well, one of the most pow.........a person who is way more powerful than most of us. Let's call it that. He has engaged in many MANY things that make us feel powerless and angry. So taking down the super powerful bully has a cathartic element to it. We can't actually stand up to Trump at all, but we CAN make fun of his spray tan (as opposed to actual skin color of which he has no control) and his weight (which is a result of him refusing to listen to doctors and make big deals about eating unhealthy while being the healthiest specimen alive) as opposed to other things over which he has no control. If Trump had a scar or something, you probably wouldn't see people so openly mocking that, or a limp or something else that isn't a result of his personality.

But making fun of Michelle Obama doesn't have that same effect. She is not one of the most powerful people in the world, actively doing things that are truly insulting to a great many people, actively insulting people, and mocking others as well. So there's no legitimate catharsis to be had at her expense, it is JUST an expression of anger.

So that's a decent difference. It's why mocking leaders is seen as okay but mocking an underdog is seen as cruel. One involves catharsis of a helpless people coping, and the other is just cruelty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: March 02, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
But making fun of Michelle Obama doesn't have that same effect. She is not one of the most powerful people in the world, actively doing things that are truly insulting to a great many people, actively insulting people, and mocking others as well. So there's no legitimate catharsis to be had at her expense, it is JUST an expression of anger.

As soon as I read this, I immediately saw in my head the response Stadler is going to inevitably have for this paragraph, about the anger the Obamas dredged up for certain parts of the population from '08-16. Seriously, though - thanks for replying.

Online Adami

« Reply #2356 on: March 02, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »

As soon as I read this, I immediately saw in my head the response Stadler is going to inevitably have for this paragraph, about the anger the Obamas dredged up for certain parts of the population from '08-16. Seriously, though - thanks for replying.

Sure, but he's always wrong, so it's all good.  ;D

Also Obama isn't currently in office. Do you see people openly mocking W anymore? Maybe a few, but for the most part we stopped because the dynamics are different. The dynamics are VERY important.

And just to add, under no circumstance are we saying that ONLY Trump can be mocked. Hillary is mocked here all the time, legitimately for the same reason Trump is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2357 on: March 02, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »
Many people feel it is mostly OK to make fun of Trump because he is a thin-skinned narcissistic asshole with no sense of humor, who loves to dish out punishment but can't stand to take it.

The obvious thing to do, in that case, is to fire as much humorous punishment at him as possible.

If Michelle Obama has any such character flaws, I have yet to find them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2358 on: March 02, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
Many people feel it is mostly OK to make fun of Trump because he is a thin-skinned narcissistic asshole with no sense of humor, who loves to dish out punishment but can't stand to take it.

The obvious thing to do, in that case, is to fire as much humorous punishment at him as possible.

Remember that time she wore a sleeveless dress? Talk about having no class.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2359 on: March 02, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »

Remember that time she wore a sleeveless dress? Talk about having no class.
Yeah, but she had the guns to pull it off.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #2360 on: March 02, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »

Michelle Obama never made fun of and/or imitated a handicapped person at a campaign rally.

Michelle also doesn't refer to herself in the third person and say things like “From what I hear, if you look at Mr. Pillsbury, the leading authority on China ... he was saying that China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump’s very, very large brain.”

So... since I know this friend...

Because one person thinks Trump is worthy of being mocked, it's rationalized, but if one object to Michelle being mocked, it can't?  She's not this, she's not that, he's this, he's that... at what point do we just own the behavior and stop the subjective judgmentalism?  I'm not at all justifying racism or misogyny here, but who sets the standard?   I try not to engage in this nonsense on any level - Michelle's beauty, Trump's hands, whatever, and thus the tag line under my avatar - but I'm struggling to see how one person making fun of a handicapped person opens them up to any and all attacks.  Sure, it's in bad taste to do that, and appropriate for others to point out that bad taste.  But increasingly, it's seeming like it's not really anything other than a rationalization to engage in the same or similar behavior.   It's humor, and while in many cases it's benign, in all cases it's in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #2361 on: March 02, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
Wow, teach me to ignore this thread cause of work...  :lol

No way I can fully respond in 10 minutes on my phone, so I'll wait for a full response till I get home. Lots of food for thought for sure, and Stads, while I agree humor is in the eye of the beholder, where do we draw the line between humor and bullying behavior? What one person may find as funny, could do real mental damage to another. I think that's why we set up these standards. And yes, a great deal is knowing your audience, I guarantee some shit we say in the kitchen would get us shit canned in a heartbeat in an office environment.

I think a good deal of my reaction is that I'm just tired of seeing Michelle, who is by all standards an outstanding human being, being consistently raked over the coals for being a colored female women who happened to be married to the president.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2362 on: March 02, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
Just taking a second to chime in and say that Laura Bush is one ugly bitch.

That is all. Carry on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2363 on: March 02, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »

That is all. Carry on.
:lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2364 on: March 02, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »

That is all. Carry on.

Yeah, but have you seen Martin Van Buren?  WTF is up with those chops?
Since when is a military occupation considered small government?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: March 02, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »

That is all. Carry on.

Yeah, but have you seen Martin Van Buren?  WTF is up with those chops?

I'd wear those. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2366 on: March 02, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »
Posted this in the election thread and just realized that it wasn't the political humor thread. Whoops.

Just jumping in to say that I tend to find most of the appearance based criticism of Trump to be pretty childish and ultimately they just sully otherwise sound arguments against him. I mean, it's not like the guy has any shortage of legitimate flaws to criticize. Would Bernie become a worse candidate or person if he decided to paint himself orange for some reason? Petty, bullying attacks like that are Trump's domain, and stepping down to his level seems a bit crass.

ALL THAT SAID I think there's a huge difference between making fun of a demonstrably horrible, rude, bullying person versus a woman who has never really done anything mean to upset or offend anyone other than trying to make school lunches healthier and (presumably, for some) being a black woman. The gulf between the two is vast even if you want to walk out into it and pretend you're not falling.
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #2367 on: March 02, 2020, 07:28:48 PM »
I'd agree with you about most people, but Trump is a bully, and I fucking hate bullies. He's dished out enough shit talking all over the place to the point where the higher ground has left the building. Outside of the kitchen and close friends, I tend to be very, very respectful, but with him? Hell no.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2368 on: March 02, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »
What’s the old saying .... respect is earned?  To the points many have posted above, pretty sure Michelle has earned respect by most reasonable standards.  Conversely, the exact opposite can be said for Donnie Boy.
Looking at my most recent posts, it almost seems like I'm trying to become the Common Sense of DTF :lol
You'd have an easier time trying to bring the internet to the Amish.
Turns out chlamydia tastes pretty good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
« Reply #2369 on: March 02, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »

I would think the obvious thing to do would be to ignore it, not play their game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #2370 on: March 02, 2020, 09:11:07 PM »

I would think the obvious thing to do would be to ignore it, not play their game.

As far as other politicians and stuff go, you're completely right. But asking 350 or whatever million people to ignore their leader with whom many feel immense frustration? That's not as reasonable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: March 03, 2020, 06:35:33 AM »
But the counter point to the last couple posts is simple:  you have done your own calculus, and decided where the line is.  It should be okay for others to do the same without judgment or ridicule, no?  Why CAN'T someone dislike Michelle Obama?   I'm not really a fan either, but isn't that for me to decide based on the last couple posts?   To go further, why are some people - myself included - get mocked/blocked/banned for being a "Russian Bot" for deciding that I DON'T want to "attack" the bully in the same way?   It's a touchy subject here, because there are possibly other considerations, but I'm not exactly spewing radical stuff; arguing that Schiff perhaps jumped the gun on the obstruction charge (there was a pending court case in the Federal system that was going to decide the very question of the dispute between the Trump Administration and the House Committee, but he decided that the Courts didn't matter - irony! - and went ahead anyway).  That's not racist, misogynistic, or any other -phobic/-istic, so why isn't the

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: March 03, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »
^^ A team of mega anti-Trumpers just kicked down Stadler's office door and dragged him out mid-post.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:36 AM »
^^ A team of mega anti-Trumpers just kicked down Stadler's office door and dragged him out mid-post.  :lol

They were spray painting my front door.  Bitches.

Offline Vmadera00

« Reply #2374 on: March 03, 2020, 06:46:00 AM »

:lol :lol

Also, this thread went from political humor to "political correctness" (for lack of a better term) really fast.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: March 03, 2020, 06:47:14 AM »
And now I can't change it, because the joke is funny.  If Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wasn't having a rally on my front lawn, the last sentence would have read:

"It's a touchy subject here, because there are possibly other considerations, but I'm not exactly spewing radical stuff; arguing that Schiff perhaps jumped the gun on the obstruction charge (there was a pending court case in the Federal system that was going to decide the very question of the dispute between the Trump Administration and the House Committee, but he decided that the Courts didn't matter - irony! - and went ahead anyway) isn't racist, misogynistic, or any other -phobic/-istic, so why isn't the same respect accorded an alternate point of view?"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2376 on: March 03, 2020, 07:08:10 AM »
But the counter point to the last couple posts is simple:  you have done your own calculus, and decided where the line is. It should be okay for others to do the same without judgment or ridicule, no?     

No, no one is immune from judgement or possibly ridicule.  I can think if infinite examples of what someone can post that would justify judgement and ridicule.
Tick made his own calculations, and concluded that his post would be seen as funny.  The apparent overwhelming majority of members here disagreed.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling out someone on what one may think is inappropriate behavior.  Almost the entire group (so far) has done their own calculations and determined (absent some justification or explanation) that Ticks post was not appropriate on some level.  Ticks calculations were off.  He may have thought it was funny, and he is entitled to that....but his calculations that the group would think it was funny were clearly off.

Why CAN'T someone dislike Michelle Obama?   I'm not really a fan either, but isn't that for me to decide based on the last couple posts?

You CAN dislike Michelle Obama.  But if you are going to make a post ridiculing her to a group of people on a forum, you run the risk of people disagreeing with you.  Especially if there is no obvious justification/reason for the attempt at humor other than being a hater/misogynist/racist (which we don't know as there has been no explanation from Tick).  I don't think the group is saying Tick can't THINK anything....but that he should THINK a bit more before posting perhaps?

To go further, why are some people - myself included - get mocked/blocked/banned for being a "Russian Bot" for deciding that I DON'T want to "attack" the bully in the same way?   It's a touchy subject here, because there are possibly other considerations, but I'm not exactly spewing radical stuff; arguing that Schiff perhaps jumped the gun on the obstruction charge (there was a pending court case in the Federal system that was going to decide the very question of the dispute between the Trump Administration and the House Committee, but he decided that the Courts didn't matter - irony! - and went ahead anyway).  That's not racist, misogynistic, or any other -phobic/-istic, so why isn't the

Do you seriously think you have been mocked/blocked/banned in this forum for being a "Russian Bot" or that you don't want to attack Trump in a specific way?  Seriously?
Maybe some here have disagreed with you on some subjects Trump related...but hey, they did their own calculus and disagreed with your positions.  Nothing wrong with that. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2377 on: March 03, 2020, 07:11:40 AM »
What a chocker

Online The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: March 03, 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
You CAN dislike Michelle Obama.  But if you are going to make a post ridiculing her to a group of people on a forum, you run the risk of people disagreeing with you.  Especially if there is no obvious justification/reason for the attempt at humor other than being a hater/misogynist/racist (which we don't know as there has been no explanation from Tick).  I don't think the group is saying Tick can't THINK anything....but that he should THINK a bit more before posting perhaps?

Eric, this exact same thing can be said for those who post ridiculing Trump. Not to speak for Stadler (as I know he ignores you, so he won't reply anyway) but... why should one have to 'think' before mocking Michelle Obama but not have to think before mocking Trump? At the very least just own up to it, you want to mock the guy because it feels a little good having some sort of control against him. I can admit that. Perfectly fine. But this double standard for justifying mockery is a bit odd from a logical perspective. One should have to 'think' before mocking someone because of their skin color but not have to 'think' before mocking someone for their other physical attributes or their behavior? Sounds a bit disingenuous to me. I could be wrong. Tell me what you think.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2379 on: March 03, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »

Eric, this exact same thing can be said for those who post ridiculing Trump. Not to speak for Stadler (as I know he ignores you, so he won't reply anyway) but... why should one have to 'think' before mocking Michelle Obama but not have to think before mocking Trump? At the very least just own up to it, you want to mock the guy because it feels a little good having some sort of control against him. I can admit that. Perfectly fine. But this double standard for justifying mockery is a bit odd from a logical perspective

But as explained in previous posts, the mocking of Trump are usually done in response to something Trump has said or done.  The group does not see the reason for the mocking of Michelle Obama.  Maybe Tick will enlighten us with the background for his post.

Should we be silent about a mocking post about anyone?  What about Obamas children? Holocaust survivors? Obviously as a society, we draw lines for acceptable behavior.  The majority of this group drew a line about mocking Michelle Obamas appearance, absent any explanation from Tick.  Now if there is something Michelle Obama said or did that opens her up to ridicule on her appearance, then just like Trump, society or the group likely says it's ok.  But we tend to frown on attacking the innocent in this society. 

Should we THINK before posting mocking pics about Obama's children?  The point is there is a difference between Trump, Michelle Obama, Obamas Kids, Trumps kid Baron, etc.

Mocking someone who is considered a very good and nice person, good looking, and a positive force in our society....solely based on looks...appears to have crossed that line.  Without any further explanation from Tick, I do not see the problem calling him out a bit...at least for more info.  Now if you don't think that Michelle Obama isn't any of those things....including looks wise, thats ok....but is a post like Tick's ok in THIS forum?  Do we have unwritten lines drawn on what is acceptable?  It appears we do judging by the reaction.
I mean I really get your macro point....but when we examine the specific situation, we as a group or society can determine what crosses a line.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:16:01 PM by bosk1 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29