Author Topic: Police brutality, looting, racism and generalizing  (Read 107196 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
Re: Police brutality, looting and racism
« Reply #2345 on: Today at 08:20:35 AM »
Call it what you want. If you're a "good" cop and you don't blow the whistle on shitbag cops, then you're complicit in their crimes and not a good cop.

Offline Kattelox

• I'm Dale, but you have to call me Dragon.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • This is a house of learned doctors.
« Reply #2346 on: Today at 08:23:16 AM »
Call it what you want. If you're a "good" cop and you don't blow the whistle on shitbag cops, then you're complicit in their crimes and not a good cop.

I think we're arguing two different things here. I agree with that. What I don't agree with is then labeling all cops shitbags. Not all cops are bad people. We are adults. We should have learned to be nuanced in these kinds of discussions a very long time ago.
Quote from: Katt's friend
I've accepted that the journey through Michael's musical likes and dislikes is at the level of erratic I imagine is only otherwise achieved by doing a full length mirror's worth of coke and then trying to play Mario Kart.
Nothing could ever make me happier than defeating Katt with East of the Wall. That's it. My entire roulette career has reached its peak. Goodbye everyone.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: Today at 08:26:10 AM »
If you are considered a good cop and you turn a blind eye to bad cops and their crimes, then you are a bad cop. All I was saying. If 1000 good cops turn a blind eye to the crimes of their bad cop co workers, then you have 1000 bad cops. You cover for them, you're part of the problem.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2348 on: Today at 08:27:34 AM »

I think we're arguing two different things here. I agree with that. What I don't agree with is then labeling all cops shitbags. Not all cops are bad people. We are adults. We should have learned to be nuanced in these kinds of discussions a very long time ago.
Nobody's been doing that. What we've been saying is that if you're not dropping a dime on the bad cops then you're a bad cop too. Every comment about the bad cops has been conditional.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2349 on: Today at 08:30:58 AM »
Yeah, I see lots of hypotheticals and conditional statements yet nobody seems to agree with what I'm saying which tells me there must be this belief that all cops are rotten. I am looking for clarity here. If you continue defending the conditional but don't agree with the pushback on the generalizing it tells me you must believe it to some extent. The entire reason I responded originally was because in fact someone was calling all cops bad people. Edit: my mistake, it was actually generalizing the NG based on an event 50 years ago. Same principle.

I really do not think I'm being farfetched here, but I'll play along. All Democrats must hate the second amendment because they don't denounce AOC when she goes a little overboard in her rhetoric
I've accepted that the journey through Michael's musical likes and dislikes is at the level of erratic I imagine is only otherwise achieved by doing a full length mirror's worth of coke and then trying to play Mario Kart.
Nothing could ever make me happier than defeating Katt with East of the Wall. That's it. My entire roulette career has reached its peak. Goodbye everyone.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: Today at 08:35:12 AM »
There aren't hundreds of AOC's outright murdering people.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2351 on: Today at 08:38:31 AM »
Kattlelox is correct.

But, if we use the logic going on in this thread, then all of the Democrats who didn't call Bill Clinton out for being a serial cheater were also bad apples, too, right?  He committed perjury, so then every single Democrat in the Senate who voted "not guilty" to impeach him were bad apples.

I feel so enlightened today.

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: Today at 08:38:55 AM »

Again, hundreds means all 800k+ officers are murderers and bad cops? Okay, man. I prefer not to generalize groups of people especially in such large numbers. I know good cops. They haven't murdered anyone. Continue believing in your prejudices. No better than calling all black people thugs because gangs in Chicago keep shooting people.

A little critical thinking goes a long way, my friends

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: Today at 08:42:03 AM »
Ok

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2354 on: Today at 08:42:53 AM »

Again, hundreds means all 800k+ officers are murderers and bad cops? Okay, man. I prefer not to generalize groups of people especially in such large numbers. I know good cops. They haven't murdered anyone. Continue believing in your prejudices. No better than calling all black people thugs because gangs in Chicago keep shooting people.

No, no, we must keep generalizing.

I think most of us would agree that most immigrants who come to this country would be law-abiding citizens who just want a better life for themselves and their families.

The "bad hombres" that Trump talked about are just a very small percentage.

But, because those good apple immigrants are not calling out the bad apples, they are therefore bad apples as well.

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: Today at 08:43:31 AM »

No, no, we must keep generalizing.

I think most of us would agree that most immigrants who come to this country would be law-abiding citizens who just want a better life for themselves and their families.

The "bad hombres" that Trump talked about are just a very small percentage.

But, because those good apple immigrants are not calling out the bad apples, they are therefore bad apples as well.

Yeah man. The lot of em!! They're all bringing rape, crime, violence...

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: Today at 08:50:27 AM »

Can you prove there are HUNDREDS of officers murdering people? Right now. Hundreds?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: Today at 08:50:56 AM »
And you're both referencing groups of people who don't have carte blanche to apply deadly force to a population they've sworn to protect. They SHOULD be held to a higher standard and in a completely different conversation than the groups you're trying to shoehorn into the conversation. But of course you guys already know this,.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2358 on: Today at 08:51:48 AM »
You're all being pretty silly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: Today at 08:54:23 AM »

Can you prove there are HUNDREDS of officers murdering people? Right now. Hundreds?

I told you to change the numbers. Make it one bad cop. That wasn't good enough for you and you kept arguing, so you've made up your mind to disagree. I have nothing more to say here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2360 on: Today at 08:55:20 AM »
You're all being pretty silly.

I am being more sarcastic than anything, but I am honestly stunned that some are willing to generalize this much. It boggles the mind, to be honest.  I thought we were better than that here.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2361 on: Today at 09:02:14 AM »
FWIW Trever Noah has an excellent, thoughtful post up about all of this. Itís about 20 minutes. Iíd link but my computer crapped out so Iím on my phone. Just Google Trevor Noah George Floyd.  Itís called the dominos of racial injustice.

Like or dislike Noah, itís really worth seeking out and itís really worth the time to watch. Especially if you are a white person.
I'm (literally) old enough to remember when 3,000 people died in New York City and the whole country treated it like an attack on the whole country

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2362 on: Today at 09:03:11 AM »
I think I understand the principle behind what Katt and Kev are saying, but what good is it in practice to make that distinction when trying to name a problem that is literally a life or death  situation for those communities?  Plenty of cops do their job well... ok then what? People have been saying that for a long time and yet the situation is still what it is.  I donít have a magic solution obviously but I think naming the problem in that way is a step in the right direction.

p.s. members of congress donít have the power of state sanctioned violence like cops do. I guess they do when they declare war but thatís a whole other can of worms. 

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: Today at 09:08:11 AM »
FFS. My point is to not generalize but some of you would rather do that.

Offline XeRocks81

Re: Police brutality, looting, racism and generalizing
« Reply #2364 on: Today at 09:19:50 AM »
I think itís a shorthand to succinctly and firmly express the need for reform in law enforcement, just my  canadian 2 cents so we all know what thatís worth   :P  :loser:

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: Today at 09:25:31 AM »
I think itís a shorthand to succinctly and firmly express the need for reform in law enforcement, just my  canadian 2 cents so we all know what thatís worth   :P  :loser:

Yeah that's definitely one narrative.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2366 on: Today at 09:30:16 AM »
Upon further reflection........you're all being pretty silly.

Not all cops are bad. Cops who know about bad cops and do absolutely nothing aren't good cops.

Can we move on now?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kattelox

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: Today at 09:33:20 AM »
That's literally exactly what I said earlier. Happy to move on.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2368 on: Today at 09:57:01 AM »
Apparently ever single person arrested in Minneapolis last night was not from Minnesota. People are streaming in just to raise a ruckus. I don't understand what these people are hoping to achieve. Or maybe they're not looking to achieve anything, they just want to break shit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2369 on: Today at 10:06:38 AM »
Apparently ever single person arrested in Minneapolis last night was not from Minnesota. People are streaming in just to raise a ruckus. I don't understand what these people are hoping to achieve. Or maybe they're not looking to achieve anything, they just want to break shit.

Same thing happened to St. Louis in the Ferguson crap. There is an organized group of protesters out there that take advantage of situations like this to unleash civil disobedience and cause chaos. There are theories as to 'who' is behind it....but the fact of the matter is this group does exist.

which is sad because they overshadow and nullify the 'true' spirit of that situations protest
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2370 on: Today at 11:27:28 AM »
The Police are so corrupt, the good cops do call out the bad cops. Either, they get threatened from their Superior, or fired. When the Higher Up does get fired from the good cops complaint, they end up in the same position somewhere else. That's why Good cops don't call out the bad cops, or resign.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:39:59 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2371 on: Today at 11:38:15 AM »

Same thing happened to St. Louis in the Ferguson crap. There is an organized group of protesters out there that take advantage of situations like this to unleash civil disobedience and cause chaos. There are theories as to 'who' is behind it....but the fact of the matter is this group does exist.

which is sad because they overshadow and nullify the 'true' spirit of that situations protest

I'm glad there's video of "protesters" calling these "rioters" out. If they all continue chanting against them, the cops then could focus on arresting the "rioters", not the "protesters".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2372 on: Today at 12:24:23 PM »
Technically, every single cop is not "bad", but the system in which they operate, and protects them, is "bad".  That is the issue.  In practice, you cant really separate the cop from the system.  Even "good" cops make mistakes....mistakes that they still should be punished for, and justice served.  Their system stops that justice from taking place.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29