Author Topic: The 2020 Election Thread  (Read 2261 times)

orcus116 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The 2020 Election Thread
« Reply #175 on: Today at 09:06:02 AM »
She better fucking not.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: Today at 09:24:16 AM »
Man, I really wish Bernie didn't throw himself into this thing.

I personally don't think that lightning can strike twice for him....especially seeing how the field is shaping up for the Dems. Plus, they can all forget about the nomination the second Joe Biden announces he's running. He's the only Dem that can and will beat Trump. The rest of them will not be able to escape the positions they've taken on the issues....and Trump will beat any of them in an election. Biden is the only shot out there at the moment for the Dems
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #177 on: Today at 09:48:55 AM »

Me too. Looks like 4 more years of Trump.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #178 on: Today at 10:01:00 AM »

I personally don't think that lightning can strike twice for him....especially seeing how the field is shaping up for the Dems. Plus, they can all forget about the nomination the second Joe Biden announces he's running. He's the only Dem that can and will beat Trump. The rest of them will not be able to escape the positions they've taken on the issues....and Trump will beat any of them in an election. Biden is the only shot out there at the moment for the Dems

I've said that too, and even went so far as to say I'd vote for Lyin' Joe (you can bet the plagiarism to-do will rear it's ugly head against Trump), but I'm rethinking that.  I think if anything, the last three and a half years have shown you can't really beat Trump at his own game at this point.  Trump's game is not one you can play halfway, or to put it another way, you can't eat the cake and have it too. 

The only one that will beat Trump at this point is Trump himself. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #179 on: Today at 10:07:10 AM »

I've said that too, and even went so far as to say I'd vote for Lyin' Joe (you can bet the plagiarism to-do will rear it's ugly head against Trump), but I'm rethinking that.  I think if anything, the last three and a half years have shown you can't really beat Trump at his own game at this point.  Trump's game is not one you can play halfway, or to put it another way, you can't eat the cake and have it too. 

The only one that will beat Trump at this point is Trump himself.

If the economy/unemployment/employment/consumer confidence etc etc numbers stay the way they are and/or continue to increase it won't matter who it is. Trump will win. Shut down...no shut down.....wall....no wall....etc etc yadda yadds......those type of things really don't matter when it comes to if people are making money and feeling good. You can say 'it won't last' or 'it's artificial'....or whatever.....which is true to an extent. There will always be a 'correction' to be had or a downturn.....it can't go on forever. But Trump doesn't need that to happen. All he'd need to guarantee a second term is for this economy to stay like it is for another two years....which, it looks like it might. Especially if/when there is a new China trade deal.

I just don't think we're going to see a 'center' candidate anytime soon. The Dems are hanging out on the left and Trump is sitting on the right. Biden was as close to center as they'd get but even he'd be pressured to move left now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #180 on: Today at 10:29:48 AM »
Is there a point where the Rs will realize they are losing control of Trump (as if they ever had any) and will offer up a more "Party-Approved" candidate?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: Today at 10:43:23 AM »
Is there a point where the Rs will realize they are losing control of Trump (as if they ever had any) and will offer up a more "Party-Approved" candidate?

To what end?   Forget about what I think SHOULD happen (and what might or might not be good for the Republic) but in a practical sense, given the way that ALL politicians of both parties are incredibly tactical, why would they do that?   It would essentially be conceding the next election and that's untenable (and, in a real sense, an abdication of responsibility). 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #182 on: Today at 10:44:41 AM »
Christ, I hope so. Kasich is the most likely option, and he seems alright.

Bernie does have one advantage, though. He can get votes from the rank and file democrats, the lunatic fringe democrats, and probably a handful of moderates who just can't fathom 4 more years of retard rule. Bernie's far more palatable than any of the joke candidates theyr'e putting out. Biden is obviously the best choice, but the loonies on the left will never vote for him. He's a white male and that's enough for them. He'd still fair better than Bernie, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #183 on: Today at 10:47:56 AM »

To what end?   Forget about what I think SHOULD happen (and what might or might not be good for the Republic) but in a practical sense, given the way that ALL politicians of both parties are incredibly tactical, why would they do that?   It would essentially be conceding the next election and that's untenable (and, in a real sense, an abdication of responsibility).
Two reasons. First, if the democrats nominate Biden I think Kasich would stand a better chance of defeating him. Second, Trump's destructive and most republicans know it. Just because he's on your side doesn't mean he's helpful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: Today at 11:14:36 AM »

Two reasons. First, if the democrats nominate Biden I think Kasich would stand a better chance of defeating him. Second, Trump's destructive and most republicans know it. Just because he's on your side doesn't mean he's helpful.

I suppose; but we can list things/people that are "destructive" and yet they were retained as long as they were winning.   Rex Ryan.   Richie Sambora (or, if you will, Ace and Peter).   Any of a 100 maniac actors in big movie franchises.   I'm being funny, but you get my point. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: Today at 11:56:56 AM »

I suppose; but we can list things/people that are "destructive" and yet they were retained as long as they were winning.   Rex Ryan.   Richie Sambora (or, if you will, Ace and Peter).   Any of a 100 maniac actors in big movie franchises.   I'm being funny, but you get my point.
I was thinking more along the lines of Aquib Talib. There comes a time when the liabilities outweigh the benefits. And Trump isn't even close to being Talib quality.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #186 on: Today at 12:09:45 PM »
Is Aquib Talib that Anti-Semitic Congresswoman out of Minnesota?

I kid.

But yours was the point I was trying to make. The Rs know Trump is just renting space at 1600 Pennsylvania. Unlike him, they have the burden of needing to look beyond 2020 (or 2024).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: Today at 12:39:54 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Aquib Talib. There comes a time when the liabilities outweigh the benefits. And Trump isn't even close to being Talib quality.

I don't disagree, and certainly, I believe we're well past that (though you also know that we were well past that before 2016, but I digress to the horse lying in the street).   But that also goes to point that you are more optimistic in this context than I am; if Trump doesn't make you learn your lesson, who will?  The Dems haven't learned (doubling or even tripling down on the identity politics platform basis).   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #188 on: Today at 12:55:48 PM »
Going back to Bernie for a bit, does any sane person actually think he could accomplish any of the nonsense he prattles on about? Trump can't even muster support for a wall that everybody has supported at one point or another. So we worry that Bernie is going to turn us into Venezuela in four years? I think an awful lot of what he proposes is silly, but it's all stuff I know won't happen anyway. I also think he's one of the few people in DC with a functioning sense of ethics, and I'd weight that very highly when choosing a candidate. I'd certainly prefer Biden, simply because he'd set reasonable goals that actually make sense. In a pinch I'd vote for the impotent Bernie, though. He cares and he's not a lying, childish shitbag.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: Today at 01:03:09 PM »
That's not a bad strategy, actually, and while I've never taken that with regards to an entire candidate, I have taken it with respect to certain issues (you and I talked about that concept when discussing Supreme Court justices a while back, and it's nominally my stance with respect to identity politics and voting Republican, at least pre-Trump).   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: Today at 06:11:50 PM »
If Bernie can make student loan forgiveness happen, I am on board.  :biggrin: