Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick  (Read 25444 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Colin Kaepernick
« Reply #560 on: July 02, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »
Nike need do only one thing to earn an apology from me for doubting their good intentions: release the numbers of how many pairs of that 'flag' range they produced, and also the 'Panama' range. If it was enough for them to take a major financial hit by pulling them, then fair enough, they have my apology. But if, as I suspect, it was just enough pairs to be able to call it a 'new line' but not so many that pulling them in a blaze of look how woke we are publicity didn't pay for their manufacturing costs many times over, then it's back to being a jaded and cynical fucker for me.

That needs to be the question one of the half-decent left wing outlets like BBC or The Guardian ask the Nike spokesperson during the next few tedious days of non-stop free advertising. Let whoever it is repeat the scripted apology and then hit them with this: "Exactly how many pairs of that shoe were manufactured prior to launch, and how does that compare to your other lines that haven't been pulled?" If I know my corporate jobsworths like I think I do, there'll be a whole lotta deflectin' goin' on.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #561 on: August 15, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
I know I'm probably in the minority around here but I don't give 2 fucks about the NFL.  But I do find their new-found PR-driven relationship with Jay-Z laughably interesting.  I guess as long as the money keeps rolling in, right?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #562 on: August 15, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
Curious that the NFL is getting the flak for this but I don't see any criticism being directed at Jay-Z. Takes two to tango no?

I love the NFL but could care less about this and the entire conversation about Kap at this point.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #563 on: August 15, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Oh I'm not letting Jay-Z off the hook in my amusement.  I'm just somewhat surprised the NFL is giving up so much control to him.  I'm certain they see this as all mutually beneficial.  It will be sold as mutually beneficial to the community but ultimately the goal is to be mutually beneficial to their bottom lines.  I certainly don't see it as cleaning up the reputation of the NFL.  They still have players acting like thugs and assholes.  They still don't give a shit about head injuries.  This isn't changing any of that.  Jay-Z is just window-dressing at this point.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #564 on: August 15, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »
I'm being a little facetious, but all Jay-Z means to me is that I'm probably not going to like the next couple half time shows.  The rest of it - regarding image reparations - is just noise to me.  "Culture change" is hard, and a fancy consultant isn't usually enough to drive the necessary change (it must come from within) and I see nothing that shows me the NFL really wants to change; they just want to LOOK like they're changing.

What I don't understand is the position vis-a-vis Kaepernick.  He's apparently mad at this, I can't for the life of me understand why.   When a racist spouts racist ideas, then gets blackballed or bullied, we trot out the mantra "Free speech has consequences".  Well, it does; why did we expect only SOME free speech to have consequences?  What did people expect?   Bill Belichick has 18 Super Bowl rings and has won 46 regular season titles because his players come on the field, do their job, and go back in the locker room.  His backup QBs are like assistant coaches in a sense, focused on the game plan and the execution.  Honestly, I know CK got to the Championship Game once, but I wasn't impressed then and I don't really find it staggering that he's not on a club right now, even if he DIDN'T make the social justice stand. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #565 on: August 15, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Yeah, the halftime shows are going to blow big time for the next few years, but I am guessing Goodell figures the combination of Jay-Z and hip hop/rap/pop bands playing the Super Bowl will help get some fans who might have jumped ship because they (wrongly) assume Kaepernick was blackballed.  I remember there being word about quite a few black artists who turned down the halftime show because of it, and Adam Levine caught some grief for doing it (although Twitter criticizes everyone for everything, so that has to be taken with a grain of salt), but Jay-Z is a big enough name to where he can probably sell it to some big names in his world.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #566 on: August 16, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »
Twitter just criticized you for your post, and me for my reply.  :)