Poll

Who are you voting for? (Note for non-US posters)

Barack Obama
55 (53.9%)
Mitt Romney
15 (14.7%)
Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
12 (11.8%)
Jill Stein (Green)
2 (2%)
Other
2 (2%)
Not Voting
16 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Who are you voting for? (EDIT: note for non-US posters)  (Read 11405 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Who are you voting for? (EDIT: note for non-US posters)
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
Locally, I voted:
Against charter schools

Why?

Wife is a public school teacher - she would kill me otherwise  :D

Well, being pro-public schools is fine.  But why does that have to also make you anti-charter school?  The two aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm not getting it.

They aren't accountable and they take away money from the public school system

- Mrs. Cool Chris

Yeah, this. Public schools usually suffer with charter schools around because officials use the functioning charter schools (which are of course propped up by affluent families) as an excuse to stop funding public ones. If the charter schools can do without money, so should public schools!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
Joe, I know this is late now, but to answer your question:

I voted for Obama because I like what he has done on some fronts and I do NOT like Romney at all. I generally will not vote against someone, and only will vote in those I believe in, and for the first time I believe in a major party candidate enough to vote for them even if I may fundamentally agree with other candidates slightly more. Romney can't be trusted about ANYTHING because frankly even as a politician he's jumped sides an incredible amount. And the stances he is currently taking I mostly disagree with, often with vigor. I don't think Obama is all that great, but he's good and I'd like to see what he does with another 4 years.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
^I agree with all of that.  But returning to my original theme, the problem is that the Dems have the same types of problems and have likewise refused to examine themselves and see where change is needed, and IMO they are by far the worst of the two parties.  So you're right, but again, stuck with "lesser of two evils."

There's studies that show Republicans are the ones getting more radical, quicker. The Tea Party was nothing but a purity test to expunge any moderates from the Republican party. The Democrats still have quite a few moderates in their Caucus, perhaps most notably, Obama.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  But I do want to address the "Tea Party" issue, because what you've posted, while being a somewhat popular perception, isn't really accurate.  The whole Tea Party "movement" was something incredibly diverse that really cropped up mostly completely outside of and separate from the Republican party.  It was mostly a reaction to the fact that the Republicans were a broken party that had betrayed their principles.  But what was both their saving grace and had become their biggest problem was that they were too diverse in ideology and too loosely defined as a group, and eventually became absorbed into the Republican party.

Exactly, the tea party didn't like a betrayal of their principle, otherwise known as moderation and compromise. They pulled the party to the right, sometimes in the extreme.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
From my perspective, there seems to be a solid mix of conservative, libertarian, and liberal on DTF, leaning slightly liberal/libertarian. .
Well, this prediction was way off. :lol
Actually, it looks pretty accurate.  While parties aren't perfect indicators, the Democrats and Libertarians are both getting much higher percentages than they would from the general populace.  As of this post, Obama would get over 65% of the vote and Johnson over 11% according to us, both unrealistically high.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
I don't know how someone can seriously vote Libertarian. They are essentially one-trick ponies; Ron Paul failed miserably when asked about foreign policy, and Johnson is no different.
I don't like the Libertarian stance on foreign policy, but I feel more comfortable with their overall platform than of any other party.  I dislike too much about both major parties, and quite frankly think the government would be better off with consistent threats from third parties unseating one of the major two.

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
Frankly foreign policy is one of the areas where I still strongly agree with Libertarians. Frankly we should not have invaded Iraq, should not have stayed in Afghanastan (and should not have meddled in the affairs that caused 9/11 to happen in the first place), should not have taken part in Libya, should not take part in Syria and should generally let other independent and sovereign nations decide their fates by themselves.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
It was close between Obama and Johnson. But I chose Obama for him to continue doing what he's doing, since this mess isn't gonna be fixed in the wave of a wand, like people want. Yet it takes longer if people don't agree to disagree, for now to at least try something instead of procrastinating more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »
Frankly foreign policy is one of the areas where I still strongly agree with Libertarians. Frankly we should not have invaded Iraq, should not have stayed in Afghanastan (and should not have meddled in the affairs that caused 9/11 to happen in the first place), should not have taken part in Libya, should not take part in Syria and should generally let other independent and sovereign nations decide their fates by themselves.
Question. If we know Iran will get nukes, should we do anything to stop them?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »

As an Israeli who will soon be living back in that area.............my answer is no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

Well, but the way you're wording it in that post there's no difference between Democrats and Libertarians. Where the real difference is is that Libertarians, or at least Paul and Johnson, say foreign policy can be solely based on economics. Trade with everybody and everybody is happy.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »

As an Israeli who will soon be living back in that area.............my answer is no.
Care to expound?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Adami

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »

Care to expound?

Iran aren't the insane psychopath religious nutjobs "kill everyone everywhere!" kind of people that American's seem to think they are. They realize that using nukes will hurt everybody, and as much as they may hate Israel, I doubt they're willing to go to war with every country on earth for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »
Aside from what Adami said, which I completely agree with, I wholeheartedly support Iran's quest for nuclear weapons as a deterrent to the religious nutjobs that threaten their sovereignty. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Aside from what Adami said, which I completely agree with, I wholeheartedly support Iran's quest for nuclear weapons as a deterrent to the religious nutjobs that threaten their sovereignty.

A fair point.

Another concern people have are non-country terrorist networks managing to get a hold of Iran's nukes. But let us not forget that Iran controls these groups, I'm pretty sure they're as safe from the terrorists as America's nukes are from rogue marines or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
Plus, nukes are easily traceable.  If a rogue group sets one off in Topeka, Kansas, it'll be all of 4 days before it gets traced back to it's manufacturer, be they Iranian, US or Roosky.  If it's us or Russia, it'll just be an unfortunate mishap.  If it's Iran, that'll be all she wrote, and Mahmoud knows that.  It's in their best interest to keep them safe and locked up tight.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

Care to expound?

Iran aren't the insane psychopath religious nutjobs "kill everyone everywhere!" kind of people that American's seem to think they are. They realize that using nukes will hurt everybody, and as much as they may hate Israel, I doubt they're willing to go to war with every country on earth for it.

Agreed. Tick, I've read a lot of scholarship that suggests the problems in the Middle East might be do to the fact that Israel is the ONLY nation in the region allowed to defend itself with a nuclear deterrent.

Offline Adami

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
It's a problem but you'd have to be rather ignorant of the culture to assume its even one of the more main problems. But it seems I'm taking this off topic. My bad.

Edit: Alahu Akbar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
Well, he was however making sure to never move his pencil or finger only a slight amount down.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Plus, nukes are easily traceable.  If a rogue group sets one off in Topeka, Kansas, it'll be all of 4 days before it gets traced back to it's manufacturer, be they Iranian, US or Roosky.  If it's us or Russia, it'll just be an unfortunate mishap.  If it's Iran, that'll be all she wrote, and Mahmoud knows that.  It's in their best interest to keep them safe and locked up tight.

Pakistan seems far more problematic than Iran; and we should notice how even in Pakistan, the nukes are being controlled.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
It's a problem but you'd have to be rather ignorant of the culture to assume its even one of the more main problems. But it seems I'm taking this off topic. My bad.

I know it's not the only problem, but I was under the impression that who has nukes was a pretty central problem in the region.

Offline Adami

« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

I know it's not the only problem, but I was under the impression that who has nukes was a pretty central problem in the region.

Nah.

I mean, if a country had nukes and threatened to use them and no one else had any....yea, that would be a problem. But since Israel hasn't even admitted to having them, nonetheless ever threatening to use them, it's not a huge deal. Might piss off a few leaders, but not to a really considerable amount.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
Well then...?

Offline Adami

« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Well then...?

Sorry, I edited my post to be a little bit more in substance lol.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
I mean, if a country had nukes and threatened to use them and no one else had any....yea, that would be a problem. But since Israel hasn't even admitted to having them, nonetheless ever threatening to use them, it's not a huge deal. Might piss off a few leaders, but not to a really considerable amount.

Everyone knows they have them, though, and the rhetoric that comes from Israel can still be pretty bad. Also, Iraq was arguably the most advanced country in the region, and they were bull-dozed for wanting Nukes. And there's talk of doing the same to Iran. I agree with you that they're not the only problem, but I can't see how the obsession with getting Nukes for some nations and keeping them from getting them from others isn't exasperating problems already extant there.

I kinda get why you didn't want to bring this discussion here now, though.  :P

Offline Adami

« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »

Everyone knows they have them, though, and the rhetoric that comes from Israel can still be pretty bad. Also, Iraq was arguably the most advanced country in the region, and they were bull-dozed for wanting Nukes. And there's talk of doing the same to Iran. I agree with you that they're not the only problem, but I can't see how the obsession with getting Nukes for some nations and keeping them from getting them from others isn't exasperating problems already extant there.

I kinda get why you didn't want to bring this discussion here now, though.  :P

Oh I get you. First obviously Israel has nukes, I was just saying that them having them isn't the cause of the problems there.

However everyone going up in arms if Arabs or Persians get nukes IS a major problem. Which is why the problem isn't Israel having nukes, it's things like going to war to prevent other countries from doing it.

Yet, again this is just a symptom of the problem and not the main problem itself.

Anyway, yea, we can take this to the middle eastern thread if you so choose.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
Nope, I get what you mean, and I agree.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

OMG GUYZ OBAMA IS LOSING ALL THE STATESSSSSSSS

Offline Adami

« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
So when will the first states be reporting in? I really don't feel like suffering through 3 hours of nonsense commentary if I can avoid it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
So when will the first states be reporting in? I really don't feel like suffering through 3 hours of nonsense commentary if I can avoid it.

Like 4 states have reported in. The percentage of states actually getting called when the news says they will be is like 50 percent right now.

Offline Adami

« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
You know what's odd? At this point I'd take any of your candidates over Bibi.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
IF OBAMA LOSES THE COUNTRY WILL LITERALLY BE OVER
- every single person I know

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Same, here.  :-\

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
While certainly overselling the point, I don't imagine Romney will be too helpful to our geopolitical situation, even setting aside domestic politics.
Check out my blog!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »
Moot point.  Obama will win.  They are shitting their pants in the Romney War Room.  Florida goes blue and Romney is sunk.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
Re: Who are you voting for?
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »