Poll

Who are you voting for? (Note for non-US posters)

Barack Obama
55 (53.9%)
Mitt Romney
15 (14.7%)
Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
12 (11.8%)
Jill Stein (Green)
2 (2%)
Other
2 (2%)
Not Voting
16 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Who are you voting for? (EDIT: note for non-US posters)  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Who are you voting for? (EDIT: note for non-US posters)
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
Since the Election 2012 thread is missing this, and since we're constantly getting battered as being a subforum under Barack Obama's evil liberal spell and the election is tomorrow, I decided I wanted to get this thread going. Considering how nuanced and moderate I believe most of the posters on this forum are, I'm really interested to see who's going to vote for who. But, obviously, your vote is your privacy, so I hope having this poll doesn't pressure anyone into making public something they'd rather keep to themselves.

I've decided that I'm voting for Barack Obama's 2nd term. Since I don't live in a swing state, I had decided earlier that I'd take a hard look at the various third party candidates before making my selection, and that'd I'd vote for one of them if I liked what any of them had to say more than Obama. I was able to disqualify Gary Johnson from getting my vote pretty quickly, but with Jill Stein it was a bit tougher. Ultimately, I've decided that she's just too far left of center for what I think is good for the country, both economically and socially. And, while Barack Obama is a bit too far right by my standards on some economic issues, I'd rather vote for someone a little bit too conservative than someone a little bit too liberal.

By contrast, I just didn't like Mitt Romney at all. I don't think he really offers a viable alternative to Barack Obama's vision for the country, anyway.

EDIT: If you're not from the US or aren't eligible to vote, I'd prefer you don't vote in this poll. However, if you do choose to vote, I'd prefer you vote for who you like the best and who you would vote for rather than selecting the "Not Voting" option. Why? Because this poll is, on one level, designed to see where the board stands politically right now. If you're a non-American who's interested in American politics and wants to participate, that's awesome. Voting for your favorite is a lot more meaningful to the discussion than just clicking "not voting" for the sake of voting.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:25:26 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Who are you voting for?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »
This poll is going to be horribly lopsided. There is nothing wrong with it being a liberal circle-jerk, however.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
This poll is going to be horribly lopsided. There is nothing wrong with it being a liberal circle-jerk, however.
I doubt it.  Obama will beat Myth, but more people here will vote for somebody other than Obama.

As for me, if some minor race compels me to vote (there's a board of education candidate I want to vote against), I'll probably write in a vote for Alfred E. Neuman.  I'd hate for my vote to go to waste.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
From my perspective, there seems to be a solid mix of conservative, libertarian, and liberal on DTF, leaning slightly liberal/libertarian. But maybe it's just the people that speak up. Anyway, the results will show soon enough.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
In my heart I'd love to vote third party, even though it won't really make a difference, but I guess I'm too cynical to do it just for prinicpal or whatever, so it'll be Obama for me.  I've never voted Republican, and the Romney/Ryan ticket cerainly isn't the one to get me to start now.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Hmmm... 11 votes so far, and only two other than me have said anything eluding to where their vote is going, and why. Kinda lame. Why is that? Do people really feel like their vote should be kept a private thing? I respect that, obviously, and don't want to pressure anyone. But it's not very fun, or illuminating.

I'm curious; what is it that makes people not want to share too much of this kind of information?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
No, I just thought the poll said it all.  I will vote Gary Johnson if I end up voting.  I'm not much into the Libertarian Party, but I want third parties to be more significant and I appreciate their platform more than any other party.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
Politics is a topic that, unfortunately, divides people. So I can see why one would be hesitant to cause strife between themselves and others by being blatant about who they want to vote for.

I'll be voting (for the first time tomorrow) for Romney, on the basis of ethical issues.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
Obama.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote. It's worse than staying home. If I don't like Obama at all, only sort of dislike Romney and really like a third party candidate a lot, I'm still going to vote for Romney. Why take votes away from the guy who can actually beat the guy who I really don't like?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote. It's worse than staying home. If I don't like Obama at all, only sort of dislike Romney and really like a third party candidate a lot, I'm still going to vote for Romney. Why take votes away from the guy who can actually beat the guy who I really don't like?

Because you're jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.

Which is the problem with two party politics.

Though, I don't agree that Obama is a frying pan (our government surely is, but that's not Obama).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »

Because, if that third party guy gets enough attention, he could get national funding in the next election. Which, btw, is a funny thing about the libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson IMO. "Give me 5 percent of the vote, so I can get the government to spend millions on my campaign in 2016!"

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

Because, if that third party guy gets enough attention, he could get national funding in the next election.

That won't happen.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
Right. Even if your candidate loses, the plurality of votes will still help him (or the party).

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »

Because, if that third party guy gets enough attention, he could get national funding in the next election.

That won't happen.

We had a woman candidate and a Black President.
I would have thought we would see a legitimate 3rd party candidate do well before I saw either of those.
It will happen.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
PC, I voted earlier, but didn't post.  Mine shouldn't be a surprise, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway since you asked: 

Romney.  Reason (short answer):  I think he'll likely make a terrible president.  But he'll make a less terrible president than Obama.  And I don't give a legitimate shot to any third party candidate that more closely embodies the values I think would make him/her a better candidate (and, no, I don't have anyone specific in mind).  I think Snapple's "Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote. It's worse than staying home" ideology is wrong.  BUT, for all practical purposes, given the current state of the 2-party system we are stuck with, it's not too far off either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Santa Claus and all members of the Santa congress!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Obama. A) I don't think he's had the chance to do much proactive stuff but instead had to clean up a lot of mess, and B) Romney's economic gamble would never work out and massively increase US debt even further.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
Obama. A) I don't think he's had the chance to do much proactive stuff but instead had to clean up a lot of mess, and B) Romney's economic gamble would never work out and massively increase US debt even further.

Agreed. I'm extremely skeptical that Obama's going to get past of clean-up mode, though. We'll see.

PC, I voted earlier, but didn't post.  Mine shouldn't be a surprise, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway since you asked: 

Romney.  Reason (short answer):  I think he'll likely make a terrible president.  But he'll make a less terrible president than Obama.  And I don't give a legitimate shot to any third party candidate that more closely embodies the values I think would make him/her a better candidate (and, no, I don't have anyone specific in mind).  I think Snapple's "Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote. It's worse than staying home" ideology is wrong.  BUT, for all practical purposes, given the current state of the 2-party system we are stuck with, it's not too far off either.

Hm. Even though we've settled on different candidates, our reasoning for throwing tepid support behind the party guy (instead of a third party) is pretty identical.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »

I should my stance is BECAUSE of the two party system we are stuck with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »

True, but Ross Perot got a ton of recognition and votes in the 90s, and where did that get third party candidates?  Nowhere.  They are far less relevant now than they were then.

Romney.  Reason (short answer):  I think he'll likely make a terrible president.  But he'll make a less terrible president than Obama.   

Agreed.  I have little faith that Romney will be worth a darn, but the odds of Obama being less terrible than he has been already are slim to none.  When is the last time a 2-term president went from being terrible in his first term to not terrible in his second?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Obama - I side with more of the current administrations policies than Romney's.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »
I can't really vote, so I'm technically not even "Not voting", but I took that option anyway, so I could see the poll's results. Sorry for that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Romney

https://www.gop.com/news/research/top-obama-moments/

Yikes, talk about a bunch of wrong-headed talking points. Most of those just make me dislike the GOP even more, because the point Obama is making is 100% accurate, truthful or demonstrates just how intelligent Obama is.

Besides, the 2nd is the "you didn't build that" comment, which was cropped and taken so out of context that it's insulting to the American publics intelligence. Romney, on more than one occasion, has said fundamentally the same thing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
Romney

Oh, that's a great page, filled with all kinds of "facts" such as:

“YOU DIDN’T BUILD THAT”
Obama: “If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Roanoke, VA, 7/13/12)

From FactCheck.org:
Quote from: reality

Mitt Romney and his allies have attacked President Barack Obama — often out of context — for saying, “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

American Crossroads posted a 60-second Web video called “Build” that shows small-business owners reacting to Obama’s “you didn’t build that” comment.
The Romney campaign replays Obama saying “if you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that” five times in a 15-second video as part of a “petition” drive. It also uses the quote in an email fundraising appeal.

Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts posted a two-and-a-half-minute Web video that juxtaposes the president’s remarks against statements made by other presidents on the importance of free enterprise.

There’s no question Obama inartfully phrased those two sentences, but it’s clear from the context what the president was talking about. He spoke of government — including government-funded education, infrastructure and research — assisting businesses to make what he called “this unbelievable American system that we have.”

In summary, he said: “The point is … that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

In Context

Obama made his remarks at a July 13 campaign appearance in Virginia. The president was speaking against Romney’s proposal to retain the Bush-era tax cuts and cut federal tax rates an additional 20 percent across the board for all taxpayers.

Blatant, false, misrepresentations of facts, denial of scientific consensus, tendency to favor the rich with tax breaks, stupid foreign wars that do nothing but drain our treasury and kill and maim our kids, desire to turn Social Security over to the idiots that caused the financial meltdown.  It really boggles my mind how anyone can vote for these people.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
Romney.  Reason (short answer):  I think he'll likely make a terrible president.  But he'll make a less terrible president than Obama.   

Agreed.  I have little faith that Romney will be worth a darn, but the odds of Obama being less terrible than he has been already are slim to none.  When is the last time a 2-term president went from being terrible in his first term to not terrible in his second?

Exactly.  I'm basically cool with those voting for him because they are legitimately happy with what he has done in his first term.  But there are SO MANY out there who seem to think he'll be a different person in his second term.  What's that "fool me once; fool me twice" saying?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
Not voting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »

Exactly.  I'm basically cool with those voting for him because they are legitimately happy with what he has done in his first term.  But there are SO MANY out there who seem to think he'll be a different person in his second term.  What's that "fool me once; fool me twice" saying?

I really do think Obama get's too much flak for not being some sort of dictator. People unfairly blame him for all the problems in the current government, all the corruption in the House and Congress, and for the completely broken Senate. Republicans refused to cooperate from day one, and they obstructed any chance he had of fulfilling his agenda - precisely because they wanted him to lose 2012.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »

I really do think Obama get's too much flak for not being some sort of dictator. People unfairly blame him for all the problems in the current government, all the corruption in the House and Congress, and for the completely broken Senate. Republicans refused to cooperate from day one, and they obstructed any chance he had of fulfilling his agenda - precisely because they wanted him to lose 2012.

To be fair, it's a lot easier doing that than it is to overturn existing policy.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
So, if Romney wins, it will be "fair" if the Democrats do everything in their power to filibuster everything, including bills they once sponsored? 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
So, if Romney wins, it will be "fair" if the Democrats do everything in their power to filibuster everything, including bills they once sponsored?

All is fair in love and war. Doesn't mean they're not assholes, however.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
Romney

Oh, that's a great page, filled with all kinds of "facts" such as:

“YOU DIDN’T BUILD THAT”
Obama: “If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Roanoke, VA, 7/13/12)

I was thinking the same. The top anti-Obama point is a misquote.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
I'm voting for Mitt Romney. Bosk basically hits the nail on the head for my reasoning, as well.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

All is fair in love and war. Doesn't mean they're not assholes, however.

I just have to raise this topic: Has it become totally acceptable at this point to just publicly utter whatever comes to one's mind for the other side? It seems to me that at this point politics in the US has deteriorated into a game of "hate for hatred's sake".