Author Topic: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. #1: -.---.----..  (Read 64297 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Music of the Spheres
« Reply #455 on: January 09, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
Easily my fav S-X album. Another match with my Top 50.

Accolade and the title track are the best in their catalog for me.

Offline Unlegit

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Music of the Spheres
« Reply #456 on: January 09, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
Great album. One of their best.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #457 on: January 09, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
#8 - Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth (1961)

My favorite "traditional" jazz album.  Released in 1961, it has a leg in both the hard-bop and post-bop genres.  It is an exploration of the structure and disposition of the blues, but it is also a continuation of the subtle modal harmonic ideas pushed forward by Kind of Blue.  We have a stellar cast of musicians: Nelson on sax, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Eric Dolphy on flute and sax, Bill Evans on piano, George Barrow on bari sax (yes!), and Paul Chambers and Roy Haynes on bass and drums.  Both Chambers and Evans also played on Kind of Blue.  Hubbard's solos are not to be missed on this album.  Barrow's baritone sax pretty much makes this album for me in many instances.  It provides such depth and texture in the harmonies.

As soon as "Stolen Moments" starts you hear the immediate influence of Miles Davis in the harmonic introduction.  Freddie Hubbard stars in both the intro and as the first soloist.  Flawless tone and awe inspiring dexterity.  Then, JAZZ FLUTE!  Dolphy rips out a great solo next, followed by a one of my favorite all-time tenor solos by Nelson which is one of the more famous uses of the augmented scale in jazz.  "Hoe Down" is a happy upbeat number that is reminiscent of Charles Mingus' music in many ways.  A little rough and raucous and your never quite sure where they are going next.  "Cascades" opens up directly with a rousing sax solo with the other horns providing a great harmonic counterpoint.  The last three songs follow the 12 -bar blues structure fairly closely.  "Yearnin'" has some really great harmonic interplay between the horns.  "Butch and Butch" is where Barrow really shines.  There is also a bit of a Glenn Miller-esque/WWII horn part in this one.  The closing track "Teenie's Blues" makes great use of dissonance before Dolphy lets loose with a very squawkish, angular solo on alto sax.  The contrast with Nelson's smooth tone and lyricism is striking.

This is a must have album for anyone interested in jazz as far as I'm concerned.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Stolen Moments
« Reply #458 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
Lights-out choice with TDWoT. There ain't a bad song on it and, like you, it was my first exposure to Symphony X. People can say what they wanna about the less-liked tracks on it but this album's power hitters are as good as their music gets bar none.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
yeah, I had never heard a single note from the band before I popped that CD in.  Totally blown away.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
A few more points I want to make on The Blues and the Abstract Truth before I move on:

- I mentioned that one of the songs has some passages that bring thoughts of Glenn Miller, but there are actually big band sensibilities sprinkled throughout the album.  Neat to hear in 60's classic jazz.  When you've got four horns, one of which is a bari sax, the sound fills out nicely.

- I also mentioned the differences in sound both Dolphy and Nelson get from the sax.  At times it's hard to believe they are playing the same instrument.

- This is a very diverse album.  From hard-bop blues to post-bop.  Upbeat wildly entertaining romps to slow, introspective almost ballad-like modality.  Many songs have classic jazz hooks in the intros and closing moments.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
#7 - Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt II: Scenes From A Memory (1999)

This is the album that started my Dream Theater journey.  I had heard of the band and was curious to see what they were like.  If my memory is right, it was the high rating at progarchives that led me to this one.  I must admit, it was different than anything I had heard or expected.  I knew there was a "story" told through this album, but this was the first time I listened to something that was considered a concept album.  From the opening ticks of the clock to the surprise ending, this was quite a ride.  Creatively, I would say this is probably the band at the top of their game.  The album has it all from the band, every sound, mood, and genre they cover seems to be here.

The songs here are brilliant.  The split-second railroad track pause before the main melody in "Overture 1928" is epic.  And like any good overture, it does an awesome job of introducing us to many of the familiar themes and melodies we will hear later on.  The guitar riffs and drums on "Strange Deja Vu" are some of my favorite in the DT discography.  And "Home" has been and probably always will be one of my favorite DT songs ever.  The build up with the sitar sound is great and once it finally hits the main riff it is practically orgasmic (especially considering what happens later in the song  ;) ).

After FII, the band could have gone in many different directions I suppose.  They just happened to land on the perfect one.

"If I die tomorrow
I`d be alright
Because I believe
That after we`re gone
The spirit carries on."
Winger would be better!

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Headline: Murder!
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Fantastic album, sure to get high praises here. Definitely Top 10 worthy. This was the first album I was patiently waiting for as a new fan. It far exceeded my expectations after the mediocre FII (which I didn't like much at the time, like it much better now).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Near flawless album.  Should be in everyone's Top 50 here at DTF.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #464 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
Probably next on my Dream Theater list of albums to get.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Probably next on my Dream Theater list of albums to get.

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: WAT!?!?!! How do you not have this yet! Must get NOW!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »
I'd put it one place above.  ;D

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »
Can't get more epic than SFAM  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
Should be in everyone's Top 50 here at DTF.

I disagree, though it's still very good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
I like that album a lot, but it would be nowhere near my Top 50, even if I hadn't limited myself to 2 albums/band. The songs are good throughout, but the concept is rather contrived, in my opinion.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #470 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
#6 - Weather Report - Heavy Weather (1977)

This was my first "jazz" album, and to be honest, I'm not sure I would have ever explored the more traditional aspects of jazz (at least as early as I did) if I had heard something like Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme first.  I picked this album up for the sole reason that Jaco Pastorius played bass on it, and I was completely entranced by the awesomeness of the Jazz-Fusion it contained.  Pastorius was the bass player in the band from 1977 to 1982 and this album is the peak of their production.

This jazz fusion group served as my gateway into jazz as it incorporates not only Jaco's otherwordly playing, but elements of semi-proginess with Joe Zawinul's synthesizers and Wayne Shorter's masterful playing.  Every cut is a standout, save for the live, percussion-only "Rumba Mamá" that serves as the transition into the second half of the album.  "Birdland" is a classic upbeat fusion track with great playing from everyone.  More and more layers are added to the mix until the ending is sheer joyous pandemonium.  The pace slows with the introspective track "A Remark You Made" which displays great lyrical playing and trademark fretless tone from Pastorius.  Lot's of great sentimental melodies in this song.  "Teen Town" is a short track, but also one of my all-time favorite songs and serves as my demo for someone that wants to hear bass virtuosity.  "Harlequin", "Palladium", "The Juggler", and "Havona" are all masterfully crafted pieces of fusion as well.

If you think you might at all be interested in trying jazz or fusion, give this a shot by all means.
Winger would be better!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Partly Cloudy with a chance of Fusion
« Reply #471 on: January 13, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
Brilliant album.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Partly Cloudy with a chance of Fusion
« Reply #472 on: January 13, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Never heard it but sounds very interesting. I'll definitely add it to my list!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #473 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
#5 - Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)

I don't really remember the exact order in which I got my Rush albums.  I do know that the two Retrospective compilations were the first two so I could sample music from most of their albums, followed closely by Vapor Trails which was the first album they released since I became curious about their music.  I also know that Different Stages came early on as I would buy one or two of their albums here or there.  I was already familiar with "The Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill" from Retrospective I, but there was a song buried on disc 2 of Different Stages that I could not get enough of called "Natural Science".  Such a magical song for me and I knew I had to get whatever album it was on next.  I love the dual nature of the song - the calm serene opening and the chaos of the rest.

"The Spirit of Radio", "Freewill", and "Natural Science" are all Rush classics, but it is the beauty of the other three that make this album stand out in their catalog for me.  "Jacob's Ladder" is a great ominous, plodding track.  Lots of dark passages and some crazy time signature changes.  The way they build that instrumental section (the one after the synth solo) in the last third of the song is so awesome as it becomes almost triumphant, mirroring the sun breaking through the clouds.  I love the lyrics to "Entre Nous" so much.  And Alex throws in some pretty cool licks here and there.  His playing (12-string, riffs and picked parts during the verses, etc) really make the song.  And "Different Strings" is just a beautiful song all around.  Very moody for this band.

The album marks quite a change for the band as they were feeling a bit tied down to the longer multi-part songs that had become their trademark.  The change to shorter, more concise songwriting was surely off-putting to some hardcore fans I'm sure, but for me this is where they hit their stride.  With its release on January 1, 1980, I couldn't imagine much better ways to bring in the new decade.

"Wheels within wheels in a spiral array,
A pattern so grand and complex,
Time after time we lose sight of the way,
Our causes can't see their effects."
Winger would be better!

• DT.net Member
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Timeless Wavelength
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
Good album. I first heard them in '95 when I was 14 and loved Freewill from the getgo. It's weird too since unusual vocals were an immediate dealbreaker for me back then to the extent that even bands like Silverchair and Tool were severe labors of love for me, vocally speaking, back then. I guess DT changed all that for me since I still don't quite like JLB's vox unconditionally yet I've been a fan since '99.

As for the songs (like I said before), Freewill was an instant success and The Spirit of Radio had immediate success when I heard it too. Entre Nous and Different Strings never did much for me but I like 'em both a little more each time I hear them. Jacob's Ladder is pretty damn good imo and Natural Science may be tied with Hemispheres for being my alltime Rush fave.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ruba

« Reply #475 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:54 AM »
It's the best Rush album.

Almost every time I pick up a guitar, Jacob's Ladder starts playing.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #476 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:23 AM »
Heard that. I was playing a few minutes of Natural Science an hour before seeing Hath's latest writeup. I don't know if it's the new guitar I've got or what but I was playing those verse arpeggios at the beginning more easily than ever tonight.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #477 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:38 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #478 on: January 15, 2013, 04:40:38 AM »
My favorite Rush album so far - will definitely appear on my list.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #479 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:54 AM »
Permawaves!  :omg:

I have never listened to this one, how does it compare to Moving Pictures for you? :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:10 AM »
Not my favourite but definitely in the Top 5 of Rush albums. Natural Science is probably my favourite here, with Freewill, The Spirit Of Radio and Different Strings as strong tracks as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #481 on: January 15, 2013, 05:26:59 AM »
Natural Science on tour in '96 with Different Stages was unbelievable.  Breaking that out after 16 years, and the lyrics... how appropriately they fit the times in '96.  Jacob's Ladder... I'll always remember DT covering that for the Toronto crowd on the Score tour.

Another album that should be in every top 50.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:40 AM »

I have never listened to this one, how does it compare to Moving Pictures for you? :)
Well, for starters, it's better :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »

Well, for starters, it's better :lol
And It doesn't bore me to tears. Yes. Moving Pictures is a boring album. Come at me.  :coolio
Oh and that Weather Report album kicks ass. I'm not that into them but I still love Heavy Weather.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
Favorite Rush album and probably somewhere around #5 for me as well.  This album only has two kinds of songs: freaking great songs and songs in which the term "freaking great" is such an understatement that it would be insulting.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #485 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
It's the best Rush album.

OH yeah. :2metal:

PW is my favorite Rush album (don't get me wrong, I dig the shit out of Moving Pictures but PW just hit it out of the ball park IMO).

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #486 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »

OH yeah. :2metal:

PW is my favorite Rush album (don't get me wrong, I dig the shit out of Moving Pictures but PW just hit it out of the ball park IMO).
Am I the only Rush fan who doesn't really like Moving Pictures? I like Tom Sawyer, YYZ and Limelight, that's it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #487 on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
Maybe the only one here at DTF, but I'm sure that there's people IRL who don't dig on it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Two great albums but PW pips MP for me. Not that there's alot in it.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »
#4 - Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

Short write-up since everyone knows this one.  Around 1993 or 1994, I remember seeing an short blurb/article about John Myung in Bass Player magazine which was touting his work on Images and Words.  I went to the local Blockbuster Music store (remember those?) to give it a try.  It didn't hit me.  For whatever reason, I was just not getting it at the time.  Several years later I decide to give the band another try with Scenes From A Memory and A Change of Seasons and they finally clicked.  I finally went back to I&W and found what I had been missing for nearly a decade.

I can't even imagine how those young guys came up with this stuff.  The songs, arrangements, vocals, instrumental sections, solos . . . everything is out of this world (UAGM solo ftw!).  Perfect synergy from five guys that are masters of their craft.  The cornerstone of the genre.

"Metropolis watches and thoughtfully smiles
She's taken you to your home"
Winger would be better!