Author Topic: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. #1: -.---.----..  (Read 64102 times)

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
For a long name I thought your name is "Big Bath"
I love beautiful things.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
just call me William Howard Taft
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
Holy shit, this album is fucking amazing. Why haven't I tried hearing it before?  :metal

For the billionth time, the answer is, "Because you are not elite"  :biggrin:

ANd thanks for the shout-out in the write up.  And I have Ravenheart to thank, so in reality we should all be lining up to suck Zander's dick.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
Listening to that TOP album, it's apparent where Banda Black Rio got a good deal of its influence, although I prefer Maria Fumaça since it has no vocals.  (Not bagging on the vocalist, who has a good voice, just don't like that R&B style.)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
That fucker literally weighed a sixth of a ton.
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

:rollin

That's possibly my favorite bit of presidential trivia ever.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »

Outstanding. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
#48 - Metallica - . . . And Justice For All (1988)

This was my entry into heavy metal and really anything that even remotely resembled "prog".  I had previously known of Metallica since Master of Puppets because my friend had the cassette, but I never really listened to them until "One" hit, and man did it hit me hard.  The video for "One" debuted in January of 1989, when I was 11 years old.  I remember staring at the TV wondering what it was I was watching - there was NOTHING else like this.  The stark black and white images of the band furiously playing interspersed with scenes from a movie I had never heard of plus the dark lyrical content really made an impression.  "One" quickly became a favorite song of mine and still is to this day.

Favored tracks: "Blackened" (Newsted's first writing credit with the band) is simply a great intro song with that backwards guitar building into that riff that always makes you feel slightly off balance.  AJFA, wow, almost 10 minutes of thrashy, sorta proggy awesomeness and intensity.  If not for "One", "Dyers Eve" would probably be my favorite track on the album.  It takes on the mantle of Damage Inc as a terrifyingly aggressive closing song.

Yes, I understand all the problems with this album - the bass is pretty much left out of the mix (and being a bass player, that one stings), the stark, dry and razor thin production, and the album does have moments where the song structures tend to sprawl out a bit.  It's not an easy album by any stretch with the controversial production, depressing lyrical themes, and angry moods.  But this is Metallica's darkest, most complex work coming from a mega-band at or just off of their creative peak.  The production along with the lyrical content and Hetfield's biting delivery make for an utterly depressing and brutal album, but one that I immediately connected with.

"To see into my eyes, you'll find where murder lies"
Winger would be better!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
Never got into Metallica, but I'm told this is one of their best.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
AJFA :2metal:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
Never got into Metallica, but I'm told this is one of their best.

that it is, however I would say it is tied with Kill 'em All as the toughest album to start out with from their "classic" period
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
Yeah - Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets is a much better starting point.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 11:21:19 PM »
I think Justice is a fine album to venture into the pre-Load era. Aside from the black album, it was my first exposure to to any of their first 5 albums whatsoever. As in, I'd never even heard a note of any of KeA, RtL, MoP, or AJFA (except for One) before buying Justice. My brother had bought the black album around that same time (late '96) but I really didn't take all that well to the 7 non-single tracks initially yet Blackened, Harvester, and To Live is To Die instantly hooked me. So enahjee! POWAH!!! as the kids like to say. I think if things like dark lyrics, cold production, dreary vibes, and bass MIA production are issues for someone, then I'm not sure any legitimate metal will be ideal to start with.

I think the stark "grey" atmosphere drew me in immensely at first especially since I bought it for One anyway so it was really just a case of me getting more of what I came for in the first place. Another factor that helped it was that the vocals (as well as other parts to lesser extents) were a bit more "up close" sounding and less dripping with that stereotypical 80s reverb thing going on with KeA and RtL.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
Yeah, AJFA!  :metal :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »
Great choices so far! TOP, man what a great band. True story: I was in this funk-soulband once, a nine-piece band with hornsection and the horn guys were pretty much TOP addicts! I guess they wanted us to sound just like them. Which is a bit weird with a white, longhaired singer who couldn't dance for shit....we did mostly James Browns stuff, and such.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
I think Justice is a fine album to venture into the pre-Load era. Aside from the black album, it was my first exposure to to any of their first 5 albums whatsoever. As in, I'd never even heard a note of any of KeA, RtL, MoP, or AJFA (except for One) before buying Justice. My brother had bought the black album around that same time (late '96) but I really didn't take all that well to the 7 non-single tracks initially yet Blackened, Harvester, and To Live is To Die instantly hooked me. So enahjee! POWAH!!! as the kids like to say. I think if things like dark lyrics, cold production, dreary vibes, and bass MIA production are issues for someone, then I'm not sure any legitimate metal will be ideal to start with.

I think the stark "grey" atmosphere drew me in immensely at first especially since I bought it for One anyway so it was really just a case of me getting more of what I came for in the first place. Another factor that helped it was that the vocals (as well as other parts to lesser extents) were a bit more "up close" sounding and less dripping with that stereotypical 80s reverb thing going on with KeA and RtL.

oh sure, I agree with what you are saying.  "One" gave them their initial commercial success for heaven's sake!  I was talking about it more in comparison with the others.  For someone totally new I would send them to Ride, Puppets, or the Black Album first.
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
Great choices so far! TOP, man what a great band. True story: I was in this funk-soulband once, a nine-piece band with hornsection and the horn guys were pretty much TOP addicts! I guess they wanted us to sound just like them. Which is a bit weird with a white, longhaired singer who couldn't dance for shit....we did mostly James Browns stuff, and such.

ha, cool stuff!  Well, Tower of Power actually recorded their two early-90's albums Monster on a Leash and T.O.P. with a white, longhaired singer, Tom Bowes.  And based on some videos I've seen, he couldn't dance either!

That early 90's lineup on T.O.P. might actually be my favorite with Greg Adams and Lee Thornburg on trumpet and a reunion with Lenny Pickett.  There are some great songs on that album: "Soul With A Capital 'S'", "I Like Your Style", and two cool instrumentals "Cruise Control" and "South Of The Boulevard".
Winger would be better!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
Awesome album is awesome.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
#47 - Dixie Dregs - What If (1978)

In the mid-70's, Steve Morse formed what would become the Dixie Dregs at the University of Miami School of Music (home of other musicians coming out of the 70’s such as Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Bruce Hornsby, etc.).  After graduation, the band signed to the southern rock label Capricorn Records (Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker Band, Captain Beyond) which released their first album Free Fall to critical acclaim but not much in the way of record sales (the “Cruise Control” section of the Big Medley from ACOS is from this album).  With Free Fall, Steve Morse was immediately recognized for his composing skills as well as his deft guitar work.

The following year, the Dregs released What If, a prog-rock/Jazz-fusion instrumental album.  You will find a great deal of classical, prog, bluegrass, hard rock and funk leanings and influences in this album, but housed in a classic southern rock package.  You'll probably be reminded of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, or possibly even King Crimson in many places.  The Dregs weave in and out of the many genres and influences effortlessly and their fine musicianship is on full display here.

“Take it off the Top” and “Travel Tunes” are great southern-twinged funky rockers.  “Odyssey” has some cool prog moments and incredibly beautiful violin-led sections mixed with jazz fusion (covered by DT on BC&SL).  But the real star of this album is “Ice Cakes” with its great funk guitar and bouncy, bubbling bass and drums.  The album closes with a beautifully uplifting track entitled “Night Meets Light” that has some great unison parts between guitar and bass and ends with a soaring extended solo from Morse.

"(various grunts, ah's, and yeah's at the beginning of Ice Cakes)"
Winger would be better!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
Only Dreg's album I owned Dregs of the Earth but that was 20 + years ago...didn't really get into it, but than again this is a band I've been meaning to go back to as my tastes have broaden since
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
yeah I remember trying that one but it just didn't seem as inspired as What If or even Free Fall.  Some of the songs seemed a bit too derivative of what had come before.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
There was so much discussion for the Dregs!  Can't wait to see what discourse this next entry inspires!

#46 - Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)

Okay, time for a bit of a u-turn!  Yes, it's the soul/R&B classic, What's Going On.  This album served as Gaye's move from the traditional R&B hit-maker to a true soulful artist.  Gaye had been feeling trapped in the Motown hit-machine for a few years and desperately wanted to do his own thing.  He had written the single "What's Going On" (originally offered to the Four Tops, then to Joan Baez), but Berry Gordy (founder of Motwon Records) thought it wasn't commercial enough to release so Gaye told him he wouldn't record anything else until Motown released it.  Even after it was recorded, Gordy and the Motown brass still didn't want to release the album.  But it slipped through, became a hit, and the album went on to be perhaps the most important soul album of all time.

The whole vibe of this album sounds like there is a jam/party going on.  It is a very cool atmosphere.  But lyrically, there is a much darker tone.  The story concept is of a Vietnam War veteran returning to the country he has been fighting for, but finding injustice and hatred.  The socially-concious songs tackle drug use, poverty, and the Vietnam War.  The songs just kind of flow into each other and you are on track 6 or 7 before you even know it.  Great musicians are on this recording, including the Funk Brothers who played on just about every Motown hit in those days.  Cool story about bassist James Jamerson playing on this album:  Legend has it that Gaye wanted him to play on the record so bad he went searching for him in the local Detroit bars during one of the recording sessions.  He was found but was so inebreated that he had to lay flat on his back to record.  He was unfamiliar with the song, drunk and lying on his back and they took his first take for the album!

Standouts include the title track, "Mercy, Mercy Me", and "Inner City Blues".

"And I go to the place where the good feelin' awaits me, self-destruction in my hand."
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
I need to get that album - Marvin was SUCH a talented individual.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »
yes, this album and the follow-up Let's Get It On (take a guess at what the concept for that one is about) are stellar
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:40 PM »
It's not rocket science, bud. :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:55 AM »
One of the cornerstones of my musical education, that album. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
yeah, and I realize it's not going to be for everyone, particularly on this forum, but it's an absolute classic.

I may have lost some people with this one, but I guarantee the next several are well known by many 'round these parts.
Winger would be better!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
yeah, and I realize it's not going to be for everyone, particularly on this forum, but it's an absolute classic.

I may have lost some people with this one, but I guarantee the next several are well known by many 'round these parts.

I own this album. A mate decided I needed this album in my life and gave it to me. I'm ashamed to say I've never listened to it. If I can find it I will.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »

Woah just saw this thread and jumped in. And yes,this album rules.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
in lieu of another entry (I hope to continue on Monday), I want to list a few quasi-honorable mentions.  As you might know, I have discovered a boatload of new music this year thanks to you fine folks.  So this list will be a few of those albums that didn't quite make the top 50 but blew me away none the less and might be on this list eventually.  This is not all of the great stuff you have helped me discover this year - so I will probably have another one or two of these.  Thank you to the people that have mentioned these in the respective band threads or in your top 50 lists!

No particular order:

Karnivool - Sound Awake - Awesome stuff.  Love the seemingly Tool-insipred sound.  This is also one of my wife's favorites.

Star One - Space Metal and Victims of the Modern Age - The Star One project is unbelievable!

Frost* - Milliontown - this is some great poppy sounding progressive rock.

Edge Of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson, and Crimson II - holy cow, this is awesome death metal.

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls and The Great Escape - I don't know what else to say except both are crazy, crazy good.  The title track on TGE is amazing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:09:14 AM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »
I may have to try out Seventh Wonder's The Great Escape for the combination of how well I liked Mercy Falls (concept album with a good storyline that holds up in spite of some very shaky voice acting on interludes with dialog interspersed amongst the regular tracks) as well as the fact that The Great Escape was the headline I envisioned seeing on the front page of the newspaper when I cut class for the first time at age 8 and thought it was some kind of big accomplishment.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
ack, forgot to put Mercy Falls up there too.  Will have to fix that.  Goodness, the acting on that album is brutal.  The woman is not great, but she wins the academy award compared to the guy playing the doctor.

was this the music playing in your head as you ditched class? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
Agreed on the spoken parts of Mercy Falls.  Thankfully, the rest of the album is so superior that the "acting" doesn't leave any stench.  B_F, get TGE, it's excellent.  Not on par with MF, but it's like what Empire is to O:M.

:tup :tup on Star One.  Have you picked up the DVD Live on Earth (it's hard to find since they aren't in print anymore)?  That's pretty sweet too.  Even if you don't have the DVD, most (all) the songs have been put up on YT.  I'm particularly fond of Intergalactic Space Crusaders... the interaction between Wilson and Allen is a Mastercard moment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »
Seventh Wonder  :hefdaddy

I've got to give Karnivool a try...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.