Author Topic: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. #1: -.---.----..  (Read 65066 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Ask For Janice
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »
LZ II:  My favorite track on the album always has been and always will be "What Is... ".  That's not to say that the rest of the album is crap - far from it.  VERY solid album, and a hell of a good one at that.

Joshua Tree:  GOOD album.  Really good album.  Favorite is definitely "Bullet The Blue Sky".

BEASTIE BOYS!!!!!! :biggrin:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
#21 - Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)

My initial encounter with Opeth was pretty soon after Ghost Reveries was released however the first album I listened to from them was Damnation.  I had never been into bands with growling vocals, but I kept hearing how awesome this band was.  I remember getting Damnation at a steep discount at a CD/movie store that was going out of business.  The first time I played this album was on a rainy Sunday afternoon and the mood completely swept me away.  That album got me curious into what they really sounded like because I knew it would be quite a different experience.  So I went looking for recommendations of where to go next and almost everyone mentioned either Blackwater Park or their latest album at the time, Ghost Reveries.  I got both at the same time and that was a great decision.

I feel this album is a beautiful blend of the best parts of the preceding two albums, Deliverance and Damnation.  It also marks the introduction of Per Wiberg to the band, and his work on the keys is quite a shot in the arm for the band.  Much like "The Leper Affinity", "Ghost Of Perdition" opens the album with a soft sort of atmospheric passage that makes you almost strain to hear it before you are pummeled with the brutality of the song's true nature.  Martin Lopez has always been a drummer with great feel, and it is on full display here.  Great singing by Mikael, awesome heavy to light transitions, a great groove back into the heavy section, wow this song is awesome and we've just begun.  "Beneath The Mire" is another great track with plenty of heaviness, but with its share of softer passages.  Per takes the lead at the beginning of "Beneath The Mire" playing over a great riff by the guitars.  The song fades away into the laid back "Atonement" which then leads into one of the best song transitions on any album as it abruptly stops and "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" begins with its distant riffing guitar and Mendez's sliding bass.  This is my favorite track on the album.  I love that wordless growl about 2:30 into the song.  "Hours of Wealth" is a vast departure from the heaviness, but it does have a great moment at 1:35 with that key change.  Next comes "The Grand Conjuration" (great live song) and the spookiness that comes with the lyrics and the whispering voices.  I LOVE the offbeat chorus riff.  The closer, "Isolation Years" is a touching little song that sort of floats by and then off into the darkness.

This album is an absolute masterpiece of progressive death metal.  But it does serve as a bit of a bookend on this version of the band as both Lopez and Peter Lindgren would depart soon thereafter.

"There's a certain detail seen here
The pen must have slipped to the side"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. I hear the baying of the hounds
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »
Another masterpiece. You and I share a lot of musical tastes, I've lost count now but it's well over 10 albums that I would also have on my top 50 and you're barely half done.

I also had a hard time getting into the harsh vocals. It took me years to gain an appreciation for it and even then, it was only Opeth that I could tolerate, mainly because the music was so good and after enough time I couldn't imagine the songs without the harsh vocals. It took me probably 4-5 years before I liked the growling and it was the best thing I ever did since it greatly opened my musical options with other bands.

Offline adace

« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »
Ghost Reveries :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »
Yeahhh! Flawless!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2012, 12:44:41 AM »
:2metal: GHOST REVERIES :2metal:

Dig the wordless growl that you speak of quite a lot, and Hours of Wealth is just :heart :heart :heart .  I think my favorites are Ghost of Perdition and The Baying of the Hounds, though.  There's a damn good reason why GR is in my Opeth Top 3. :biggrin:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »
Epic!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
4th favourite Opeth album, good call.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2012, 04:28:06 AM »
BEST OPETH ALBUM.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »
#20 - Tower of Power - Urban Renewal (1975)

This is largely the same classic Tower of Power lineup that initially recorded my number 50 album Tower of Power.  But they are two albums and two years removed from that effort and displaying an even more cohesive and matured sound this time around.  Lenny Williams displays great passion in his gospel-influenced delivery.  The rhythm section is a bouncing, ever changing machine.  And the horns are as tight as they've ever been.  And if you are looking for the funk, this album has it in spades.  They also found a bit of an activist voice in the lyrics of at least a couple of tunes.

The album kicks off with the energetic "Only So Much Oil in the Ground", a funky track about the mid-70's energy crisis.  Lenny Pickett rips of a terrific sax solo in this one.  The interplay between the bass and hammond are awesome.  "Come Back, Baby" is a mid-tempo ballad accentuated with some great chord voicings from the horns.  STOP READING NOW and go listen to "It's Not The Crime".  This is 1:47 of the dirtiest, greasiest funk you can imagine.  But be forewarned, you might need to see a chiropractor afterward if your neck hasn't been exposed to this level of funky music before.  The lyrics are an absolute blast as well, sung by band leader and saxophonist Emilio Castillo.  "I Won't Leave . . ." is a sappy ballad, but my goodness does it have an outstanding horn arrangement particularly in a bridge section about halfway through the song.  "Maybe it Will Rub Off" and "Give Me the Proof" are great upbeat funky songs.  Tight arrangements, amazing solos from the organ and sax, just amazing musicianship in both.  "Willing To Learn" is a tremendous ballad that hearkens back to earlier TOP songs such as "Sparkling In The Sand" and "You're Still a Young Man".  Finally, "Walkin' Up Hip Street" is an instrumental that is simply amazing.  It's like a great gumbo that keeps getting more and more ingredients added to the pot.

This was the last in a string of albums for the classic Tower of Power.  It was the last album fronted by vocalist Lenny Williams, which would begin a revolving door at that position for the band.  And with the next few albums, the band's sound was increasingly influenced by the disco movement in the mid to late 70's.

"I broke the law last night,
commited a criminal and sexual act.
She was on top,
and in this state, that's an immediate pop."
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
#19 - Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)

When I first heard this album, it absolutely blew me away (and it still does).  It was HUGE.  Symphonic progressive metal in its purest form.  Similar to The Odyssey, the themes of this album (wars/alliances among long forgotten mythological civilizations and ancient cosmological deities) fit perfectly with symphony X's sound.  Russell Allen's vocals are phenomenal here.  And this album also contains some of my favorite riffing ever.  I am a huge fan of that insanely fast riffing that sounds like a train barreling down the tracks seemingly about to derail at any moment.  That's about the best way I can describe what I hear in several spots throughout this album.

It's funny, I was all fired up to participate in the survivor for this album, but when it comes down to actually picking songs, I find it really difficult.  I think I've always viewed this as one work and not really separate songs.  But here are a couple of comments anyway on my favorite songs/moments.  "Evolution" contains some of those great riffs I mentioned earlier.  And I love that build up to the main theme in "Fallen".  Allen's vocals are off the charts good here.  "Communion" contains one of many great Romeo solos and the second half of that song is simply magic.  If I had to choose, I think "Egypt" might be my favorite track.  It's the little things I love about it, it has those great chugging riffs, and awesome vocals, but I love the acoustic in the intro, that guitar slide around 0:23, the descending riff into "Gaze in these eyes . . ." - it's such a powerful song.

By the way, what is up with the similarities between this album and that of Spock's Beard's V.  Both were released in the second half of 2000.  Both covers are remarkably similar (desert scene, blood red sky).  Both bands are progressive in nature and were both signed to Inside Out at the time, which makes it even doubly weird - you would think the label would have wanted to avoid people possibly confusing the albums.  Both albums are the fifth by each band and the total lengths of the albums differ by a mere 11 seconds.  Strange Kennedy/Lincoln thing going on here.

"Night and Day will find a way
to keep the balance true.
Let the sky and stars be your guide -
the destination is up to you."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:20:07 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline Unlegit

Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. Tonight darkness will shadow the light
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
Nice Symphony X!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #329 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »
Fantastic album. I first heard it after gorging myself on awesome sushi with friends when a friend passed me a burned copy of it. I threw it on in the car on the drive home from the restaurant and, as soon as Evolution's fast riff kicked in, I chuckled to myself and thought "Sea of Lies Part II, nice to meet you." That aside, the songs don't disappoint at all and the album is sensational. You have traditional asskickers like Evolution and Bird Serpent, new territory like Egypt, and Rediscovery Part II is intense as all hell. I really just wish that they'd worked the interludes into the songs or only kept R (Segue) since I've always had trouble enjoying interlude-saturated albums as much as ones with only (or mostly) full tracks. Must be some neurotic flow thing in my brain.

Great selection nevertheless :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #330 on: December 18, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »
i can see people liking the odyssey more, but theres some kinda magic goin on with V.

...also digging the recent opeth selection.  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #331 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:43 AM »
Great album. I knew that it would be this one from the title. :laugh:

My favourite has to be A Fool's Paradise, though. The chorus melody is Russell at his absolute best and the way that Verdi's "Dies irae" is worked into it is nothing short of amazing. Still, you can't go wrong with any song off this album, except maybe for The Bird-Serpent War.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #332 on: December 18, 2012, 03:21:45 AM »
That's one fine Symphony X album. I prefer the two albums that preceded it and The Odyssey, though.  :smiley:

As far as the similarities between the two V albums go, both bands said the similarities were 100% coincidental, which I find very interesting. Very interesting indeed.  :smiley:

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #333 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:11 AM »
Darkness doesnt really exist. "dark" is just a lack of light.
Therefore, darkness cannot "shadow" the light.
I love beautiful things.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #334 on: December 18, 2012, 04:16:21 AM »
 :hefdaddy that is all
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #335 on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
It's a great album, but not nearly my favourite of theirs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #336 on: December 18, 2012, 05:07:58 AM »
Grand album is grand.  Virtually flawless.  Not my fave by S-X, but I do rank it ahead of TiO.  That four album run from Divine Wings to Odyssey is as good as any four-album run in prog-metal.  Period.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #337 on: December 18, 2012, 06:03:05 AM »
Awesomeness abound. Allen soars on this one Oooooohhhho ooooh....!!!!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #338 on: December 18, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
I remember pissing my neighbor off in college because I played this album CRANKED when I first got it.  Nice choice, my favorite SyX album.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
I tried listening to Symphony X for a while, but it couldn't really spark my interest... lots of riffs sound the same IMO.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #340 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
My first SX album and my favourite. Good call.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #341 on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
ha, lots more comments on prog metal than R&B/soul/funk - imagine that!

ok
Winger would be better!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #342 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
ha, lots more comments on prog metal than R&B/soul/funk - imagine that!

Tower of Power needed more songs about Poseidon fighting Ra and stuff.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
checked out a tower of power track. might consider exploring further.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
cool, what did you end up listening to?
Winger would be better!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »
Love that SX album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
Never got into that SX album.

Keep 'em coming!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #347 on: December 18, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
cool, what did you end up listening to?

just the opening track. your "The rhythm section is a bouncing, ever changing machine." was A. much of what intrigued me and B. spot on.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »
My first SX album  :heart, Communion and the Oracle is still probably my favorite track.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
So you could say that it's basically just absence of light? :neverusethis:
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"