Poll

In a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate the ADTOE tour?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (1.7%)
2 (3.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (1.7%)
18 (31%)
26 (44.8%)
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Rate the 2011/2012 Tour Cycle  (Read 11393 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Rate the 2011/2012 Tour Cycle
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
Simple, sharp and clean. Rate the latest DT tour.

I gave it a 9. Would have been 10 had the setlist enjoyed a more thorough rotation and had the shows been "Evening Withs".

Still, I can't really give anything less than 9, as the performance, the stage production and the batch of song played were extremely satisfactory to me. I heard of some acoustic issues here and there, but from what I understood it was mainly due to the Venue's staff or its architectural limitation (Long Island). So, a full 9, placing this tour right behind the epic ToT tour and tied with IAW's and SDOIT's cycles.  :tup

Speak your opinion! :)

Note: I've made that you can change your vote once it's cast.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Rate the 2011/2012 Tour Cycle
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
I'd say 9 for the non-variant setlists.  Otherwise?  STELLAR.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:12:47 AM »
8 for the non-variant setlists and because of JR's ridiculous hydraulic stand.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
I might change my vote to 8 then, based on JP's awful shirts on the last leg, I MEAN WHAT'S UP WITH THAT JP.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »
I might change my vote to 8 then, based on JP's awful shirts on the last leg, I MEAN WHAT'S UP WITH THAT JP.

Sush

There was nothing wrong with JR hydraulic stand (cool addition), and only something sliiiiighly wrong with JP's attire.
- Marco

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
9, that was my first show and I have nothing to compare it to. The only thing I would have changed would have been a bigger encore. I think two songs would have blown my mind.

Still a great show though, the setlist, the overall vibe of the show, the band, and the fans all made it a very memorable experience.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
I'd give it a 9, as well. Great setlists, despite the lack of rotation that we're used to. They played for 2+ hours at most shows. And their live show was the best I think it ever has been.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Grinch

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
I agree with you on the shirts, I might have to lower my vote down to 7

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
The show I saw in Boston on 7/16/12 might have been the best performance that I have ever seen from the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
Based on the YouTube vids, the 2012 East Coast shows were the ones to be at.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »
Saw them twice on this tour and I had a fantastic time at both concerts, not being disappointed in absolutely anything. I don't see a reason to give it less than a 10.  :smiley:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
Saw them twice on this tour and I had a fantastic time at both concerts, not being disappointed in absolutely anything. I don't see a reason to give it less than a 10.  :smiley:

Hooray! Fezen and Budapest?
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »
Seriously though, seeing such high ratings from usually-spoiled Dream Theater fans (take that as a compliment, I know I'm always proud to say that)... yeah, I'll be there next time and I hope their game will be on the same level. Couldn't settle for anything less than that, they're my favorite band.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »
I give this an 8. A slightly longer show would be nice, skip the opening act (oh, go to hell Periphery-fans...) and vary the setlists a bit more. I saw two shows with one inbetween and got to see the exact same show twice except for the encore..
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »
I'm bummed I didn't see them this tour, but I'll try to remedy that with the next one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:49:54 AM »
I'm bummed I didn't see them this tour, but I'll try to remedy that with the next one.
This. But judging by the setlists, videos and gig reports it seems that the tour was pretty awesome - I'm looking forward to the DVD! :metal

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
For me, had I have seen one show I would give them a 10.
Having seen multiple shows on each US leg, I would say that the early shows had some real enthusiasm. As each leg wore on. the performances got more stale and sterile. On the last US leg (summer 2012) I had tickets to multiple shows, and ended up not going to most of them. I didn't see any emotion on stage  or that DT fire. On listening back to many of the shows from the last leg, the musical performances were still on par. The problem for me is that LA sounded like Philly which sounded like Boston which sounded like San Antonio. My favorite band became very boring.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Gave it a 9 for the non-varied sets and lack of evening with formats.  But wow, what a great show these guys can play.  Has me excited about their future. I truly feel the best is yet to come for them now, especially now that they're making arguably better music than they have in almost ten years.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »

Hooray! Fezen and Budapest?
Yep, nice to see you recall correctly.  :tup

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
I'd give it a 9 or a 10 for the sole reason that, other than the fact these setlists probably included less songs than an Evening With set, each of these sets are among, if not the, most enjoyable DT sets for me yet. I can't complain about the rotation because while they barely rotated songs between each show, the overall amount of songs represented in the entire tour, mostly thanks to differing sets between legs, was massive, and featured lots of all-time classics that I was extremely happy to see once again after many years of freakin' Pull Me Under and As I Am (both of these were played in the last tour, but not in every single goddamn show...).

Offline philmcson

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
8, because the setlists were a bit too predictable, but still awesome. However MM improved the sets with drum solos. Still can't wait to refresh memories from the Düsseldorf concert by watching the new DVD...... soon, soon.....  :-\

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
I went for an 8. Loved the production and performance, but I missed having a little bit of rotation in the sets.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 02:29:38 AM »
9. The rotating set-lists would be nice to bring back and I am a bit afraid that they might not be back here in Minnesota after the last show. We were all into it, those of us there, but the seating info I saw the day after the concert said there were a 1,000 open seats
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
For me, had I have seen one show I would give them a 10.
Having seen multiple shows on each US leg, I would say that the early shows had some real enthusiasm. As each leg wore on. the performances got more stale and sterile. On the last US leg (summer 2012) I had tickets to multiple shows, and ended up not going to most of them. I didn't see any emotion on stage  or that DT fire. On listening back to many of the shows from the last leg, the musical performances were still on par. The problem for me is that LA sounded like Philly which sounded like Boston which sounded like San Antonio. My favorite band became very boring.
Very similar thoughts.  I caught five shows, and four of them were identical and average. Not bad, but nothing special.  Sterile is an excellent way to put it. The last show (Dallas, second leg) really knocked me on my ass.  First time I've ever seen them really give a shit about playing Dallas.  So overall I give it a 4. Considering one great show out of five, a 2 might have been more appropriate, but that Dallas show really was good.

Looks like I have the low score as of right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
Wait, by rating the tour with 4 you are saying that it was "insufficient, outright disappointing". Is this, in all fairness, what you think? I get what you and bobs said, but the rating you gave as a result of that baffles me a bit.
- Marco

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
Too put it simple: I've seen them 4 times and this tour was the best so far. Both sound, visuals and presence were generally better than previous tours!  :tup

So it's a 9 from me!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
Wait, by rating the tour with 4 you are saying that it was "insufficient, outright disappointing". Is this, in all fairness, what you think? I get what you and bobs said, but the rating you gave as a result of that baffles me a bit.
Where did "insufficient, outright disappointing" come from?  As for my rating, I certainly would consider 4 mediocre nights and 1 great one to be a disappointment.  Particularly because of the very high regard I held their live act in formerly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
Where did "insufficient, outright disappointing" come from?  As for my rating, I certainly would consider 4 mediocre nights and 1 great one to be a disappointment.  Particularly because of the very high regard I held their live act in formerly.

Where I live, every school performance until University is evaluated with a 1 to 10 scale. 4 is "Insufficient, not goot at all. Fail grade". So, that's the way I have always interpreted a 4.
- Marco

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Figured it was something like that.  Based on our Yank school grades, I'd give them a C-.  You can't fail them, they are DT after all, but this was not a particular satisfactory tour, either. 
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
I'm curious to see if those who attended the european shows agree with those complains. I am brought to believe by some supposition that they won't.
- Marco

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
I'm curious to see if those who attended the european shows agree with those complains. I am brought to believe by some supposition that they won't.
My experience from the last time this came up is that very few people from anywhere shared my complaints. The fact that the two people in this thread that weren't impressed are both yanks (at least I think Bob is) is more a function of percentage of forummers who got to see them this go around than quality of shows or fans.
E.F. Benson

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:01 AM »

I did enjoy the London show in February 2012 (and preferred the setlist), but I have to say the three summer 2011 shows I saw (which included a headlining slot at High Voltage) had much more energy and were generally more fun.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 06:24:12 AM »
Well, it could have been just my show, but I have rarely seen the band so happy and active on stage as they were in Milan (and I have seen a lot of their concerts on film).
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:03 AM »
I vote 10. I saw them twice (once in Mexico City and once in LA), and well I did get different sets; audio-wise both shows sounded better than ever (I'm an Audio Engineering student so normally I get picky with that stuff), the production looked really professional (compared to Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, where I thought the ants and the silver drops in the sides of the stage looked lame-ish  :lol ) and the band was more motivated than past times I saw the band live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
I gave 7.

-1 because the lack of rotation.
-1 because needless JR's long solos with his toys.
-1 because they didn't come to Turkey this year.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.