Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 115030 times)

Online HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. New Single "Miramare"! New album "The Likes Of Us" March 1st!
« Reply #1470 on: February 10, 2024, 10:18:31 PM »
Man, Buffalo was announced a couple weeks behind the others but that show has hardly sold. Both nights in NJ still have lots of seats. The first night at least is getting maybe a little over half sold, but the second night is really struggling to sell. Maybe a third of the tickets sold so far. Boston looks about sold out, but I think it's a smaller venue.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Big Big Train v. New Single "Miramare"! New album "The Likes Of Us" March 1st!
« Reply #1471 on: February 11, 2024, 05:09:26 AM »
That's a bummer about the NJ shows, but two nights in a random NJ city (for reference, I grew up and lived about 20 minutes away from the Jersey venue and I'd never heard of it until these shows were announced) was a really weird choice.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1472 on: February 11, 2024, 05:27:28 AM »
Yeah two nights in Rutherford is not ideal. One night there for the NY based crowd, then the next night at the Keswick in Glenside PA or something would’ve made a lot more sense. They’re also competing with the Haken crowd who is touring the area on the exact same weekend - I’m sure there’s a hefty overlap between fan bases that are choosing one or the other each night.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1473 on: February 11, 2024, 06:05:14 AM »
Yeah, I already had tickets for both Haken shows that weekend. I'm going to end up taking a loss on one to catch the BBT show on Saturday instead, but I'm guessing there are plenty of people who are just sticking with the tickets they already bought.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1474 on: February 11, 2024, 06:35:35 PM »
I solved that problem by seeing Haken in Pittsburgh.

Online Pebsie

« Reply #1475 on: February 12, 2024, 04:38:44 AM »
If this tour is anything like the others they're expecting to play at a loss in order to get the band further out there and will make up the costs on the CTTE set. This is why they had to cancel a lot of their shows when HRH Prog messed them about; the tour is a loss without the festival slot. So I wouldn't worry too much about poor turnouts, although it'll no doubt impact where they choose to go next.

In contrast most of the UK shows are close to sold out now from what I can see which is great news!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

Today, on Valentine’s Day, the band are pleased to reveal the video for the third single from 'The Likes of Us.'  "Love Is The Light" was filmed in May 2023 during their time recording the album in Trieste, Italy and you can watch the Tim Sidwell-directed video here: https://youtu.be/M8jwBaYUCMc

Alberto Bravin comments: “This song recounts a difficult period in my life and how I got through it. In 2018 my daughter was born, I had a happy life and was travelling around the world playing a lot of gigs with PFM. But for no apparent reason I became deeply depressed. The most difficult challenge is not to heal, but to admit what’s happening. And you can do it only if you have real support from the people around you. My wife, Nicole, was always there for me and she helped me find the light. And she’s still doing it: with love.”

Gregory Spawton adds: “When Alberto submitted "Love Is The Light" as a song to be considered for The Likes Of Us, we really required no discussion about whether to include it on the album or not – it was an absolute no brainer that we should record it. It’s a beautiful ballad that draws from Alberto’s personal experience but also has universal appeal. When we played "Love Is The Light" live on tour last year, it got a terrific response every night and I hope people will take the song to their hearts as we have.”

'The Likes of Us' is out on March 1st. Stream the singles and pre-order the album now here: https://bigbigtrain.lnk.to/TheLikesOfUs

And from Gregory:
Soon after Alberto Bravin accepted the job as Big Big Train vocalist he mentioned that he was also a songwriter.

As we were preparing to start work on our forthcoming album, I asked him if he had any songs he’d like to put forward for consideration.

Love Is The Light, which is released as a promo video today (filmed by Tim Sidwell at the album recording sessions) and as an audio single on all streaming sites, was the first song Alberto put forward and I was instantly smitten with it.

Love Is The Light is, of course, a love song (hence the Valentine’s Day release!) But it’s not a ‘boy meets girl’ story, it’s about how love can help individuals find their way again when circumstances have caused them to feel lost.

We hope you enjoy our new song and if you like what you hear, please do think about supporting the band with a purchase of The Likes Of Us album (out on 1st March) at Burning Shed, Bandwagon USA or at any good high street or online stores.

Thank you for listening.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

Wasn’t gonna listen to Love is the Light until the album came, but then I listened to Greg and Alberto on The Prog Report podcast talking about the album, and it got me in the perfect mood for listening so I gave it a spin, and my goodness, there’s a part in the middle passage that hits you like a ton of bricks. So very good, and Alberto’s vocal is amazing as well.

Anyway, here is a like to the Prog Report interview:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-prog-report/id778246137?i=1000645173614

Online HOF

There are several very nice interviews coming out, but this long form print interview with Greg is very nice read.

http://dailyvault.com/article.php5?id=595&fbclid=IwAR2vgaS6TvVO7hdeSxjrtrz9cPghMIE8vFdxb4l1rpUhXn9oC7yPWV8weAg

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

https://www.facebook.com/share/3BW1FeC2qWGZv53q/?mibextid=oFDknk

We are pleased to announce that Cade Gotthardt will be performing with us at all of our shows in the USA and on Cruise To The Edge in March. Cade is a 27-year-old jazz trumpeter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer based in Los Angeles, California. Cade regularly plays with countless different groups in various musical styles including popular music, straight-ahead jazz, Latin jazz, Latin pop, Persian pop, R&B, neo-soul, funk, and now progressive rock. Please join us in welcoming Cade to the BBT team!

New touring member announced!

Here's The Letter M's review of the album:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/big-big-train-the-likes-of-us-album-review-by-marc-fernandez/

:metal

Thanks again for this opportunity! :tup  I can't wait for everyone to hear the album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

https://www.facebook.com/share/3BW1FeC2qWGZv53q/?mibextid=oFDknk

We are pleased to announce that Cade Gotthardt will be performing with us at all of our shows in the USA and on Cruise To The Edge in March. Cade is a 27-year-old jazz trumpeter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer based in Los Angeles, California. Cade regularly plays with countless different groups in various musical styles including popular music, straight-ahead jazz, Latin jazz, Latin pop, Persian pop, R&B, neo-soul, funk, and now progressive rock. Please join us in welcoming Cade to the BBT team!

New touring member announced!

Here's The Letter M's review of the album:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/big-big-train-the-likes-of-us-album-review-by-marc-fernandez/

:metal

Thanks again for this opportunity! :tup  I can't wait for everyone to hear the album!

-Marc.

Cool to have a new contributor if only for these shows.

That is a very well-done review, Marc!

Offline The Letter M

https://burningshed.com/big-big-train_folklore_cd

Saw someone post on the BBT Facebook forum that Burning Shed has copies of Folklore on CD in stock!! Get one while you can if you haven't gotten one yet!

That is a very well-done review, Marc!

Thanks! I haven't written anything like that in a LONG time so I was a bit nervous about it, but I'm glad it turned out okay!

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Ordered!

Hope it was not a mistake. This is my favorite BBT record and I really want a physical copy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

Ordered!

Hope it was not a mistake. This is my favorite BBT record and I really want a physical copy.

I doubt it's a mistake as it seems several have already ordered according to the post on the BBT Forum, so if there was any issue I'm sure they would've said so by now. My best guess is that they found a small stock of the albums in their warehouse and are trying to get rid of them. I do have to wonder if it'll be a part of the eventual re-release campaign of their back catalog, and just how recent the re-releases will go. I can't imagine they'll re-release anything from Grand Tour onwards since those are still fairly easily to get, and even Grimspound is also still available at Burning Shed and The Band Wagon USA. Pretty much anything from Folklore back could use a re-issue, except The Underfall Yard which already had a remaster/remix re-release a couple years ago.

And of course, I'm still waiting for the Bard remaster/remix/re-release as it's the only studio album of theirs I don't own. The big question is, of course, will I be willing to double-dip on their re-issues? Perhaps English Electric Full Power if it's the 2016 remaster, which I never got on CD, but unless the older albums come with bonus tracks or have lavish packaging, I'm not sure I'll buy any of them again (although that hasn't stopped me from owning doubles and triples of BBT albums before :lol ).

-Marc.

Online HOF

I never did get the re-mastered English Electric, but I might do that if they reissue it just to be somewhat completist.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I thought about the upcoming re-releases and just said screw it. You never really know what's going to happen and it came out to $20 US. Their albums have always been a little more expensive and this was right on so I got it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
My copy shipped! Thanks for the heads up. Awesome that I will have this on CD finally.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My copy has shipped now from Burning Shed, hopefully it will arrive here in Sweden on Friday (release day). I've basically stopped with physical releases nowadays, but there are a few exceptions.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. New album "The Likes Of Us" 3/1; US Tour Begins This Weekend!
« Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:50 AM »
Greg has begun posting his tour diary as the band have set up at Sweetwater to begin rehearsal for the tour!

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/spawts-report-january-2nd-to-20th-february-2024/

For our in-flight meals I notice that Alberto chooses the meatballs and Rikard the pasta, thus reversing the natural order of things.

This cracked me up.  :rollin

-Marc.

Online HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. New album "The Likes Of Us" 3/1; US Tour Begins This Weekend!
« Reply #1491 on: February 26, 2024, 10:34:57 AM »
Yeah the meatball/pasta thing cracked me up too. Great to see the band finally in the states.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1492 on: February 26, 2024, 10:51:18 AM »
Rikard posted a picture of him in Ft. Wayne last Friday, I think it was. He was on the town and at a bar.

Online HOF

« Reply #1493 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:51 AM »
Here’s a photo from Greg of the band setting up for rehearsals. Looks like they are all there (I think Nick just got done with Mr. Big this past weekend).

https://www.facebook.com/607319396/posts/pfbid02HJJmzSnej5Ptdfky1oS5WjmRpjrzQ6aCeZzxUpo2NU2jmGZUba3P235rLYsmzr9cl/?app=fbl

Nick had this hilarious video the other night advertising some gear from his house. He came home for a short break during the Mr. Big tour to find his basement (where he has all his gear) flooding. He decided to shoot a promo video for this new snare rack he had gotten and was putting together to clean up some of the mess from moving all his stuff out of the basement. The dude has been going nonstop and will be going nonstop through much of next year between Mr. Big and BBT. It’s amazing to see his positive attitude here. I would not have been in this good of a mood if it were me!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFe6yeSRAo&pp=ygUPbmljayBkJ3ZpcmdpbGlv

Offline The Letter M

My copy has shipped now from Burning Shed, hopefully it will arrive here in Sweden on Friday (release day). I've basically stopped with physical releases nowadays, but there are a few exceptions.

Just got an email update from LaserCD for my mediabook of TLOU, so it should be shipping within the next day or so!

-Marc.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1495 on: February 26, 2024, 01:32:26 PM »
i'ven ever listened to this band before but i will check the new one.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Just got an email update from LaserCD for my mediabook of TLOU, so it should be shipping within the next day or so!

-Marc.

Yep, Just checked and got my tracking info. Ken is pretty good at getting Inside Out releases out nice and early. Now, will Folklore from Burning Shed beat the new record?

Online HOF

« Reply #1497 on: February 26, 2024, 02:27:44 PM »
i'ven ever listened to this band before but i will check the new one.

:tup

There is so much more to discover if you like what you hear!

Online HOF

-Marc.

Yep, Just checked and got my tracking info. Ken is pretty good at getting Inside Out releases out nice and early. Now, will Folklore from Burning Shed beat the new record?

Same. I feel bad not ordering from Bandwagon, but then I did also do the tour patronage, so I think the band will be ok.

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

Same. I feel bad not ordering from Bandwagon, but then I did also do the tour patronage, so I think the band will be ok.

Same here. Laser had the mediabook for a few bucks less and their shipping is a little fast than BandWagon, at least getting to my state. But like you HOF, I also pledged as a Tour Patron, since I cannot go to a show myself, I figured this was the next best thing to try and help support the band. Either way, I cannot wait to get my disc this week! I hope CDJapan sends the Japanese version I ordered soon as well!

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1500 on: February 27, 2024, 10:10:36 AM »
Folklore arrived! Thanks again for posting about it. So glad to finally have it in my hands. Oddly, I was going to add it to my Discogs and my pressing does not exist there. I'll have to add it. Not sure if it is original or a repress. Either way, nice to finally have it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1501 on: February 27, 2024, 03:13:15 PM »
Folklore arrived! Thanks again for posting about it. So glad to finally have it in my hands. Oddly, I was going to add it to my Discogs and my pressing does not exist there. I'll have to add it. Not sure if it is original or a repress. Either way, nice to finally have it.

Very cool to hear! Glad it arrived! Speaking of packages arriving, I got my Tour Patron package in the mail from Rita Kay Drew/thebandwagonusa! I haven't gone through the whole tour book yet but thumbing through it, it's a very gorgeous book! The shirt is pretty nice too!

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #1502 on: February 27, 2024, 03:19:53 PM »
Nice. Mine is on the way, hope to receive it soon.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1503 on: February 27, 2024, 03:35:30 PM »
I splurged a bit today. I forgot that the Bandcamp version of Folklore is the LP tracklist. So I figured I needed the Wassail EP. Check Laser CD and Ken has it in stock. Then I notice he knocked the 3 LP version of The Underfall Yard down to $45. Grabbed that as well. He already shipped them out.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1504 on: February 27, 2024, 06:34:33 PM »
Nothing important to add, but I’m doing a re-listen of their catalog to prep for Saturdays show and Winchester From St. Giles Hill might be their most underrated song. Don’t think they’ve played this or Worked Out yet from EE, but I’d love to see them both make live appearances.