Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 113060 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices out now; On Tour Aug/Sept '23!
« Reply #1330 on: July 07, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »
Crickets from Laser CD on the new disc. Hasn't shipped and the site still has it stuck in pre-order mode. Quite surprised by this.

I’m sure they just haven’t gotten their stock in, as there were some production issues that delayed Bandwagon getting their full order. I still got mine by release day, but she sent an email saying she was waiting for the rest of the stock and some orders might be late. Surprising that Laser CD isn’t giving updates though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1331 on: July 07, 2023, 11:23:26 PM »
Crickets from Laser CD on the new disc. Hasn't shipped and the site still has it stuck in pre-order mode. Quite surprised by this.

I’m sure they just haven’t gotten their stock in, as there were some production issues that delayed Bandwagon getting their full order. I still got mine by release day, but she sent an email saying she was waiting for the rest of the stock and some orders might be late. Surprising that Laser CD isn’t giving updates though.

Well, that's good to hear. If Bandwagon was having issues and they are the official US store then I expect Laser to be even later. Not a big deal. I trust that Ken will get them in and sent out eventually. Not in a super hurry for this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: July 08, 2023, 05:23:00 AM »
Bought it in Tower Records in Shibuya, Tokyo today. But since I am in Japan without a player I will have to wait until I get home to listen.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1333 on: July 08, 2023, 06:02:14 AM »
I continued on my BBT deep dive with Grimspound this week. My overall reaction is similar to Folklore, very very good but just a tier below the first two albums. Overall maybe a darker vibe, I felt like more piano than prior albums. The Ivy Gate and A Mead Hall in Winter is a killer 1-2 punch towards the end of the album.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1334 on: July 08, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »
I continued on my BBT deep dive with Grimspound this week. My overall reaction is similar to Folklore, very very good but just a tier below the first two albums. Overall maybe a darker vibe, I felt like more piano than prior albums. The Ivy Gate and A Mead Hall in Winter is a killer 1-2 punch towards the end of the album.

I think Grimspound is a bit overlooked/underrated in the BBT catalog. In addition to Meadhall (which I think is a fan favorite), Meadowlands, Experimental Gentlemen, the title track (one of my BBT favorites), and As the Crow Flies are all outstanding. On The Racing Line is also great. Ironically, the other fan fan favorite here is Brave Captain, which I have always felt falls a little flat (but plays better live for whatever reason).

Offline HOF

« Reply #1335 on: July 08, 2023, 08:53:58 AM »
Very cool solo instrumental track by Maria Barbieri posted this morning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIA5mbSfOo&feature=youtu.be

Offline Kram

« Reply #1336 on: July 09, 2023, 11:29:46 AM »

I think Grimspound is a bit overlooked/underrated in the BBT catalog. In addition to Meadhall (which I think is a fan favorite), Meadowlands, Experimental Gentlemen, the title track (one of my BBT favorites), and As the Crow Flies are all outstanding. On The Racing Line is also great. Ironically, the other fan fan favorite here is Brave Captain, which I have always felt falls a little flat (but plays better live for whatever reason).
Love Grimspond (love all their albums really)!  But yes, Brave Captain really comes to life live.  The version on Summer Shall not Fade is kick ass!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: July 09, 2023, 11:45:43 AM »
I really like Grimspound, with A Mead Hall In Winter being the standout track for me. Brave Captain is great too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1338 on: July 09, 2023, 01:12:17 PM »
The vocal harmonies for the chorus of Mead Hall give me goosebumps every single time. Looks like The Second Brightest Star is up for me tomorrow.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1339 on: July 10, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
Reached out to Ken at Laser today and he told me he filled pre-orders today, not mine it seems, and is expecting more stock later this week. I'll get it eventually.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1340 on: July 16, 2023, 07:54:30 PM »
Another week, another album down. The Second Brightest Star (while still good) is on a slightly lower tier than everything that came before it for me, if only due to maybe the 30 best minutes of music on the album being reworks of songs they had previously released. It starts off strong, if somberly, with the title track and some absolute fire guitar work in the second half of the song. I'm also quite fond of the London Stone -> The Passing Window -> The Leaden Stour sequence. That all said, Brooklands and London Plane are two absolute gems from their original albums, and so undoubtedly the high point of this one. Next up, Merchants of Light.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1341 on: July 16, 2023, 08:29:12 PM »
Another week, another album down. The Second Brightest Star (while still good) is on a slightly lower tier than everything that came before it for me, if only due to maybe the 30 best minutes of music on the album being reworks of songs they had previously released. It starts off strong, if somberly, with the title track and some absolute fire guitar work in the second half of the song. I'm also quite fond of the London Stone -> The Passing Window -> The Leaden Stour sequence. That all said, Brooklands and London Plane are two absolute gems from their original albums, and so undoubtedly the high point of this one. Next up, Merchants of Light.

I love The Leaden Stour and Terra Astralis Incognita, and the full London Plane Sequence is the essential version of that track. But this is easily my least favorite BBT release (even including the pre-Longdon stuff, which is all excellent). I also mostly listen to songs like London Stone and Skylon in the context of London Song.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1342 on: July 17, 2023, 12:06:35 PM »
Emailed Ken at Laser again over the weekend as they now had Ingenious up for sale on the website as being in stock and my preorder from January was still not fulfilled. He replied that he would check today and if it wasn't shipped he would get it shipped. Just got an email that it is being shipped. Took longer than it should have, but I should hopefully have this by the end of the week.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1343 on: July 17, 2023, 12:28:00 PM »

I love The Leaden Stour and Terra Astralis Incognita, and the full London Plane Sequence is the essential version of that track. But this is easily my least favorite BBT release (even including the pre-Longdon stuff, which is all excellent). I also mostly listen to songs like London Stone and Skylon in the context of London Song.
Easily my least favorite as well.  It's the only BBT album I rarely revisit.  Every other album is still in my current listening rotation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1344 on: July 17, 2023, 12:31:29 PM »
Emailed Ken at Laser again over the weekend as they now had Ingenious up for sale on the website as being in stock and my preorder from January was still not fulfilled. He replied that he would check today and if it wasn't shipped he would get it shipped. Just got an email that it is being shipped. Took longer than it should have, but I should hopefully have this by the end of the week.

:tup

Glad it’s finally on the way!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1345 on: July 20, 2023, 10:38:38 AM »
Got my copy yesterday and got almost a full listen in.

East Coast Racer - I liked it, for the most part. I had some issues with the mix. Certain keyboard parts were far too quiet and the horns did not have the power or authority like they should. I don't think anything will top the version from Stone's Throw which has become an all time favorite song of mine.

Book / Brooklands - When I ripped the album I merged these 2 together. Like most, I never had an issue with the original Brooklands. I will say, one word kept coming to mind when listening to this and that was brighter. The whole song feels brighter and more up, if you get my gist. I really enjoyed this version.

Voyager - Didn't listen yet.

Atlantic Cable - I loved this in the video and the little I was able to listen to from the CD was fantastic. The mix, the instruments, everything sounds awesome. Really want this show released.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1346 on: July 20, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

East Coast Racer - I liked it, for the most part. I had some issues with the mix. Certain keyboard parts were far too quiet and the horns did not have the power or authority like they should. I don't think anything will top the version from Stone's Throw which has become an all time favorite song of mine.

Book / Brooklands - When I ripped the album I merged these 2 together. Like most, I never had an issue with the original Brooklands. I will say, one word kept coming to mind when listening to this and that was brighter. The whole song feels brighter and more up, if you get my gist. I really enjoyed this version.

Atlantic Cable - I loved this in the video and the little I was able to listen to from the CD was fantastic. The mix, the instruments, everything sounds awesome. Really want this show released.

I spun this again the other day after a little time away from it. I can pretty confidently say that I don’t love the new ECR. I agree that the mix feels almost flat in places, the horns are obscured, and the new instrumentation is just too busy. Even the ending, while powerful, is just less graceful. It’s an interesting alternate take, but I don’t think it improves on the original in any aspect.

I still love this version of Brooklands though, and I do appreciate having all of these together. Still a nice piece for the BBT collection.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1347 on: July 21, 2023, 02:19:22 PM »

I spun this again the other day after a little time away from it. I can pretty confidently say that I don’t love the new ECR. I agree that the mix feels almost flat in places, the horns are obscured, and the new instrumentation is just too busy. Even the ending, while powerful, is just less graceful. It’s an interesting alternate take, but I don’t think it improves on the original in any aspect.

I still love this version of Brooklands though, and I do appreciate having all of these together. Still a nice piece for the BBT collection.
I agree with you guys on ECR. The horns are what really builds the tension leading to the crescendo and "She Fliessss" on the original version.  This version its muted with the focus on the strings and it's just not the same - and that's too bad. Digging the additions to the other songs though!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1348 on: July 24, 2023, 05:57:43 PM »
Merchants of Light was great to spend last week with, just a very strong setlist. On to The Grand Tour this week.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: July 24, 2023, 11:58:06 PM »
Merchants of Light was great to spend last week with, just a very strong setlist. On to The Grand Tour this week.

That's my favourite of their live releases. Swan Hunter is magnificient on this one.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1350 on: July 25, 2023, 06:22:09 AM »
'About Time' is the second single from David Longdon's remixed and remastered album 'Wild River'. It available now on all streaming platforms. The video is by Steve Cadman.

https://youtu.be/cwIlZN8Rnfs

Another video single from the forthcoming re-release of Longdon's first solo album is now out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1351 on: July 25, 2023, 06:40:32 PM »
'About Time' is the second single from David Longdon's remixed and remastered album 'Wild River'. It available now on all streaming platforms. The video is by Steve Cadman.

https://youtu.be/cwIlZN8Rnfs

Another video single from the forthcoming re-release of Longdon's first solo album is now out!

-Marc.

That was quite enjoyable.  I couldn't help but hear some bits of "Alive" in that.  Just me?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline HOF

« Reply #1352 on: July 26, 2023, 08:54:55 AM »
I’m only half way through this interview, but Greg let out that the band are signing with a record company and that news of that will be out soon. That is a pretty major shift for this band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yyDK4woow

Hopefully it is someone like InsideOut who understands prog and who BBT are, but it also kind of sounds like he expects a certain measure of record company input going forward. Interesting.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: July 28, 2023, 03:53:18 AM »
Ingenious Devices is now available on streaming services from today. 

And there's major BBT news coming early next week.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1354 on: July 28, 2023, 08:18:26 AM »
I imagine the major news is that they are signing with a record label. But Greg did also say the new album is in the mixing stages, and with 6 month lead times for new albums these days I guess they could be teasing a January or February 2024 release date for the new album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1355 on: July 28, 2023, 11:57:33 AM »
I imagine the major news is that they are signing with a record label. But Greg did also say the new album is in the mixing stages, and with 6 month lead times for new albums these days I guess they could be teasing a January or February 2024 release date for the new album.

Could be an announcement for both. They announced Ingenious Devices with a six-month lead time, and I recall hearing that the new BBT album would be early 2024, so perhaps them announcing their new record label deal AND a new album would be great.

Maybe this means they'll also repress their older albums for new fans to buy. I wonder if these new editions will include anything that will make me want to buy them again (for the third or fourth time). I'm a rabid BBT Passenger, what can I say. :lol

But if it isn't either the new label deal or a new album, maybe it'll be the long-awaited BARD re-issue/remix/remaster that they've been not-so-secretly working on for a few years! That would be a heck of a way to kick-start their new label deal - re-release Bard and their first two albums as a way to get their early work re-issued out right away before re-releasing their more recent (past decade) stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1356 on: July 28, 2023, 12:11:33 PM »

Could be an announcement for both. They announced Ingenious Devices with a six-month lead time, and I recall hearing that the new BBT album would be early 2024, so perhaps them announcing their new record label deal AND a new album would be great.

Maybe this means they'll also repress their older albums for new fans to buy. I wonder if these new editions will include anything that will make me want to buy them again (for the third or fourth time). I'm a rabid BBT Passenger, what can I say. :lol

But if it isn't either the new label deal or a new album, maybe it'll be the long-awaited BARD re-issue/remix/remaster that they've been not-so-secretly working on for a few years! That would be a heck of a way to kick-start their new label deal - re-release Bard and their first two albums as a way to get their early work re-issued out right away before re-releasing their more recent (past decade) stuff.

-Marc.

You know what would be interesting would be if English Electric Recordings was coming under the umbrella of a bigger company. Something that would give them more funding to operate with and allow them to outsource the operations a bit, but the music and properties would still be under the band's control. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1357 on: July 28, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »

-Marc.

You know what would be interesting would be if English Electric Recordings was coming under the umbrella of a bigger company. Something that would give them more funding to operate with and allow them to outsource the operations a bit, but the music and properties would still be under the band's control.

I wouldn't mind that. Part of the reason I love the BBT discography is the uniformity with which their releases have had, all with their EER code numbers on the spine and being fairly uniform in terms of style and packaging. I hope that doesn't change too much going forward, although it seems like from here on out, we're in the Bravin-Era of the band, so maybe some subtle changes aren't a bad thing. Perhaps whatever changes they make going forward will include similar releases of the back catalog to match future albums? That would be one way to keep things consistent for recent and future fans of the band.

Either way, things sound very exciting for the immediate future of Big Big Train!

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1358 on: July 28, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
I'm guessing this correct and then the new album would be released before Cruise to the Edge in March. Let's cross our fingers they'll also announce some US shows before or after the Cruise promoting the new album!

Question - have they announced any sort of working title for the new album?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1359 on: July 28, 2023, 01:07:05 PM »
I'm guessing this correct and then the new album would be released before Cruise to the Edge in March. Let's cross our fingers they'll also announce some US shows before or after the Cruise promoting the new album!

I don't recall hearing any sort of working title. One other thing Greg mentioned is that they plan to debut some new songs on this tour, so that will be interesting.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1360 on: July 28, 2023, 02:36:00 PM »

I don't recall hearing any sort of working title. One other thing Greg mentioned is that they plan to debut some new songs on this tour, so that will be interesting.
That will be interesting. Maybe they'll release another single this summer before the shows like they did last year with Last Eleven.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1361 on: July 28, 2023, 04:52:57 PM »
I’m only half way through this interview, but Greg let out that the band are signing with a record company and that news of that will be out soon. That is a pretty major shift for this band.

Hopefully it is someone like InsideOut who understands prog and who BBT are, but it also kind of sounds like he expects a certain measure of record company input going forward. Interesting.
I'm watching this interview now. Interesting that he says the two albums they recorded during the pandemic (Common Ground and Welcome to the Planet) were not "the best set of releases that they've made" - and that there was probably one good album's worth of material that they could've made, but they end up recording two albums just to make use of the time they had on their hands.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1362 on: July 28, 2023, 05:58:02 PM »

I'm watching this interview now. Interesting that he says the two albums they recorded during the pandemic (Common Ground and Welcome to the Planet) were not "the best set of releases that they've made" - and that there was probably one good album's worth of material that they could've made, but they end up recording two albums just to make use of the time they had on their hands.

I know he’s said elsewhere that he doesn’t think much of Lanterna. I do think you could probably get one really great album from the two, but I really like both and don’t feel that they were just mailing them in or anything. Oddly my two least favorites on those albums are probably Atlantic Cable and Lanterna.

Offline The Letter M

Big Big Train sign to InsideOut

We are delighted to announce that we have signed a deal with InsideOut. InsideOut is the premier progressive rock label and part of the Sony Music group. For the full story, please visit https://www.progradar.org

For Passengers Club members and patrons, the next Business End blog written by BBT manager Nick Shilton provides a detailed insight into the InsideOut deal. The blog will be available within the Club this Friday 4th August. Visit www.thepassengersclub.com

The Journey Continues Tour 2023

It’s 24 days until show time!

Following the warm-up show on Thursday 24th August (now fully sold out), Big Big Train will be trekking – together with our excellent support band Dim Gray (featuring a certain Oskar Holldorff) - through the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Italy and Switzerland for 16 further shows. (15 shows for Dim Gray, as the second night’s show in London at Cadogan Hall on Wednesday 13th September is BBT only and will feature an extended set list.)

We are aiming to vary the set list to some extent every night of the tour, so to maximise your chances of hearing your favourite BBT songs, please think about coming to more than one show if you can. We plan to play two songs from Ingenious Devices on the tour but they won’t necessarily both be played every night!

The Bandwagon USA Big Big Sale

The Bandwagon USA will be running an extensive half price Big Big Sale from tomorrow until 15th August here: https://thebandwagonusa.com/en-gb/collections/big-big-train. The Bandwagon USA are also offering a number of other English Electric Recordings items for half price.   

Not long now until we see you on the road. Thanks for your continuing support.

Best wishes

Big Big Train

Today's newsletter update!

And here's a new music teaser- https://youtu.be/zp2bEqjT_SM

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
No surprise there. Here's to hoping that maybe Inside Out assists with the reissues.