Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111309 times)

Offline Kram

I still haven't moved on from BBT. I have a stack of music piling up of stuff I am ignoring because I can't move on still.
I'm the same.  All I can listen to is BBT.  Such amazing music!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
When I was first getting into Big Big Train (only last year), it was the various YouTube videos from Loreley that convinced me that this was a band I needed more of.  Empire confirmed that I made the right decision.  Loreley has a lot of the same songs, but I'll probably grab it, too.

Offline majo

Tried to find one meh song the other day... I failed completely  :biggrin:.
There is some kind of brilliance or cleverness (or both) in every song I heard from them... and I heard A LOT!  :hefdaddy
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Kram

Tried to find one meh song the other day... I failed completely  :biggrin:.
There is some kind of brilliance or cleverness (or both) in every song I heard from them... and I heard A LOT!  :hefdaddy
Agreed.  It's the songwriting.  They're great musician's, but it's the songs that make them so amazing.  Big props to Greg Spawton.  He's become one of my favorite song writers of all time!

Offline The Letter M

This fall marks a decade since I discovered the band, and whether you've been along for the ride since the 90s, since Longdon joined, or only recently, it's very heart-warming to hear how fans, new and old, still love the band and what they've done, and what I hope they'll continue to do.

I can't imagine the last ten years of my life without the music of BBT in it. It's really filled a void in my musical life and it continues to be filled with every new release, every new song, every new line-up change. I am eager to see where the band goes next.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Really awesome to see you guys getting into BBT. They just do everything at such a high quality (writing, playing, recording, mixing, etc.). It’s one of the things that first hit me about English Electric when I heard it. Everything just sounded so pleasant for lack of a better word. There were no sounds I didn’t want to hear! But it’s not just ear candy. There’s so much depth to the writing and story telling too. Definitely think Greg Spawton is one of the unheralded songwriters and all around musicians of the modern prog era. He’s up there with the Morse, Wilson, Stolt, etc. in terms of being prolific and just being an all around torch carrier for the prog genre.

Offline Kram

Definitely think Greg Spawton is one of the unheralded songwriters and all around musicians of the modern prog era. He’s up there with the Morse, Wilson, Stolt, etc. in terms of being prolific and just being an all around torch carrier for the prog genre.
Agreed 100%.  And that's why I feel wherever they go from here, with him driving the train, it will continue to be great quality music.  It doesn't hurt having incredible musicians like NDV and Rikard in the band.  Of course there is no replacing Longon, but with Spawton's creativity, I still have high hopes for their future.

Offline HOF

Listening to Grimspound (the song) right now. It's such a gorgeous and maybe a bit underrated BBT track. Absolutely love the instrumentation on the instrumental section. There's a subtle little bass thing Greg does at the start of it where he just drops in a quick "buh-duh buh-duh" (around 2:30 and then it repeats again a little bit later around 3:24) that gets me every time. And then the outro is also really great with the guitar solo that fades into the acapella voices. This one is credited as Spawton - music and Longdon - lyrics and really shows off the strength of their collaboration.

Offline The Letter M

https://fb.watch/cy5JVZjVRg/

"NEWS COMING SOON." Along with a short clip of what sounds like new music!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline majo

-Marc.
Great!  :tup
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline HOF

-Marc.

Outstanding! Can’t wait.

Offline Kram

Awesome awesome news!!

Offline HOF

A Big Big Train-adjacent release that folks here might want to check out is the debut album by Kite Parade, essentially a solo album by a guy named Andy Foster that was recorded/mixed/mastered by Rob Aubrey and features Nick D'Virgilio playing drums on 5 of 7 tracks. Foster sings and plays most of the other instruments, including some nice Saxophone. It's more of a progressive pop affair (think a proggier Tears for Fears), but there are a couple heavier tracks as well, and one 14 minute track. You know it sounds excellent if Rob Aubrey is behind it. I'd say it should certainly interest fans of the poppier side of BBT (think songs like Alive, Telling the Bees, etc.). It's one of my favorite albums to be released this year. Unfortunately you can't stream the whole thing anywhere, and you can only get the CD from the label's website (I got mine from Laser CD but they must have sold out fast), but check out the two preview tracks at least and it will give you an idea.

https://kiteparade.bandcamp.com/album/the-way-home

Offline HOF

Looks like the band will make an announcement tomorrow morning at 10:00 UK time…

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/

Offline The Letter M

Looks like the band will make an announcement tomorrow morning at 10:00 UK time…

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/

Just saw this! It'll be 5am EST, so I'll be sound asleep.

Given the recent tease of new music and the IG Post of them working on new demos, I'd say we have a new album or EP coming along. I wonder if they'll announce a new front man or if this release will just feature the current vocal talents within the band?

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

Exciting news from The Train. I am happy they continue their journey and am excited about what Alberto Bravin will collaborate to the band's music. But knowing that David is irreplaceable, I remain cautious.

BIG BIG TRAIN WELCOME NEW VOCALIST ALBERTO BRAVIN

SEPTEMBER 2022 SHOWS EXPANDED TO INCLUDE
CONTINENTAL EUROPEAN DATES

Big Big Train have today announced that they have recruited Alberto Bravin as their new lead vocalist following the tragic death of David Longdon in November last year.

Based in Trieste in Italy, Bravin’s career includes performing with progressive rock legends PFM, singing lead and backing vocals and playing keyboards.

On joining the band Alberto says: “I am extremely honoured to have the opportunity to join Big Big Train. I was already a huge BBT fan and am looking forward to playing my part in taking this great band forward while also honouring the memory of David Longdon.”

Big Big Train founder and bassist Gregory Spawton comments: “Nick D’Virgilio and I had both seen Alberto perform with PFM and were very impressed with his abilities as a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist. We know that David is irreplaceable; we miss him deeply both musically and personally. We wanted someone who could do justice with their own musical skills and personality to the songs that David sang for Big Big Train as well as being able to help to drive the band forwards”.

Big Big Train are also pleased to confirm that their two previously announced UK shows in September 2022 will take place as well as six further shows in the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and France. Keyboardist/vocalist Carly Bryant is unable to join the band for these dates for family reasons but will return as soon as circumstances allow.

Alongside Bravin, D’Virgilio, Spawton and longstanding guitarist Rikard Sjöblom, the Big Big Train line-up for the September 2022 shows will consist of guitarist Dave Foster, violinist/vocalist Clare Lindley, keyboardist Oskar Holldorff and the Big Big Train brass section led by Dave Desmond. Holldorff leads Norwegian band Dim Gray, whose debut album Flown was released to much acclaim last year.

Big Big Train is now truly an international band for the September dates with an American, a Swede, an Italian and a Norwegian on stage alongside the Brits. These shows will see Big Big Train playing material from various stages of their career and also one new song.

BIG BIG TRAIN SEPTEMBER 2022

Friday 2 September – Friars Waterside, Aylesbury, UK
Saturday 3 September – HRH Prog festival, Leeds, UK
Monday 5 September – Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
Tuesday 6 September – Harmonie, Bonn, Germany
Wednesday 7 September – Kuz, Mainz, Germany
Thursday 8 September – Frannz Club, Berlin, Germany
Saturday 10 September – Z7, Pratteln (Basel), Switzerland
Sunday 11 September – Café de la Danse, Paris, France

Tickets for the UK shows are on sale now. Tickets for the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and France shows go on sale at 10am UK time on Friday 29 April.

See www.bigbigtrain.com/live for ticket links.

any rock can be made to roll

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Some more info from BBT about this:

Big Big Train have recruited Alberto Bravin as lead vocalist following the tragic death of David Longdon in November 2021.
Based in Trieste, Italy, Alberto performed around 200 shows with progressive rock legends PFM between 2015 and January 2022, both in Italy and internationally, singing lead and backing vocals and playing keyboards.
Alberto Bravin says: “I am extremely honoured to have the opportunity to join Big Big Train. I was already a huge BBT fan and am looking forward to playing my part in taking this great band forward while also honouring the memory of David Longdon.”
Big Big Train bassist and founder Gregory Spawton comments: “In recent years, Nick D’Virgilio and I had both seen Alberto perform with PFM. We were very impressed with his abilities as a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist and therefore approached him about joining BBT earlier this year.
“We know that David is irreplaceable and we miss him deeply both musically and personally,” Spawton continues. “We were very clear that we didn’t want to bring someone into the band who would sound very similar to David; that just felt fundamentally wrong. Instead we wanted someone who could do justice with their own musical skills and personality to the songs that David sang for Big Big Train as well as being able to help to drive the band forwards. From his first audition singing some BBT back catalogue songs and subsequently his work on some new material that we’re working on, we’re confident that we’ve found the right person in Alberto.”
“Aside from Alberto’s great voice and all round musical skills, it was also vital for us to find the right personal fit, particularly after being struck with David’s sudden death,” drummer Nick D’Virgilio comments. “We flew Alberto to London several weeks ago so we could hang together for a few days and the chemistry immediately felt right.”

SEPTEMBER TOUR
Big Big Train are also pleased to confirm that their two previously announced UK shows in September 2022 will be taking place. In addition the band have scheduled six further shows for September in the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and France.
Keyboardist/vocalist Carly Bryant is unable to tour with the band in September 2022 for family reasons. “After over two years of being part of Big Big Train and involved in two studio albums, I was extremely keen to go on the road with the band. However a recent change in my family situation means that sadly I cannot be away from home in the autumn,” Bryant explains. “I love being part of BBT and will be on stage with the band at the earliest opportunity when my family commitments permit.”
Alongside Bravin, D’Virgilio, Spawton and longstanding guitarist Rikard Sjöblom, the Big Big Train line-up for the September 2022 shows will consist of guitarist Dave Foster, violinist/vocalist Clare Lindley, keyboardist Oskar Holldorff and the Big Big Train brass section led by Dave Desmond. Holldorff leads Norwegian band Dim Gray, whose debut album Flown was much acclaimed last year and who are preparing to release their second album later this year.
“Oskar came to our attention from his work with Dim Gray and is another tremendous talent to involve in Big Big Train,” Sjöblom says. “We’re very grateful to him for stepping in while Carly is unavailable. It’s also exciting that Big Big Train is becoming an increasingly international band – in September we will have an American, a Swede, an Italian and a Norwegian on stage with the Brits.”

During the September tour Big Big Train will be playing material from various stages of their career and also one new song.
“We were originally scheduled to play live shows in spring 2020 but then Covid-19 derailed our live plans repeatedly and since then we’ve prepared numerous different set lists,” Sjöblom continues. “We’ve released two full albums since we last played live and are spoilt for choice with the set list for September.”
“In addition to our UK shows, I’m really looking forward to getting back into continental Europe,” D’Virgilio adds. “As well as visiting the prog strongholds of the Boerderij and Z7, we thought it would be cool to play some smaller venues in France and Germany as we re-establish BBT as a live band. We can’t wait to get out and play again and show what this band can do.”
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

So excited that they have found a way forward. Know nothing about Alberto, but will look forward to checking him out. Even though I am a fan of the early PFM stuff, I haven’t checked out any of their recent work. Will have to do that now!

Short film introducing Alberto here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgDiTQOxV4&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2xc1WRdC0wsBuf_gmUvAqmxLlYyAoQkcGJbTVMVcqSpXEXDWs4X4_AtPE

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Watched the video. They seem very excited. I need to check out some clips of Alberto and his voice. Guessing that was him in the few clips in the vid and he sounds good. They are kind of the new Transatlantic, a worldwide band now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

Watched the video. They seem very excited. I need to check out some clips of Alberto and his voice. Guessing that was him in the few clips in the vid and he sounds good. They are kind of the new Transatlantic, a worldwide band now.

Yeah, I wondered what that bit of music was (presumably with him singing) towards the end. Not sure if that was some prior music he’d done, or something new the band has put together. Sounded like it could have been part of that snippet they shared the other day though.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
They will be playing one new song on the tour, so I guess it's that one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

They will be playing one new song on the tour, so I guess it's that one.

That would make sense to have something new done ahead of the tour.

The other interesting thing is Alberto has more of a prog metal background outside of PFM. Wouldn’t expect BBT to take that turn, but I suppose he might bring a little heavier influence with him.

Offline HOF

They posted another snippet here and confirmed in the comments that it is new BBT material with Alberto.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=5120840827981546&id=203751903023821&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile&anchor_composer=false

Offline Harmony

I'm very happy to see that clip and read the news.  Alberto seems (and sounds like from the brief snippet of song) to fit in well and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the band emerges through this period of darkness and into the light.   :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline The Letter M

Watched the video on YouTube as soon as I woke up and checked all the related Facebook posts from the band and its members. Very exciting news, and now they really are a truly international prog band!

I've never listened to any PFM, let alone Alberto Bravin, but I'm very excited to hear what he will bring to the band! They've posted another clip of what sounds like a new song on Facebook, which sounds like it's the same song as the clip they shared five days ago- https://fb.watch/cF2ozTE2QB/

With new music already under way, I imagine their new album will have an early 2023 release date, probably just a year on from WTTP.

With a new vocalist, I wonder if the band will be digging into some of their pre-Longdon material, specifically from the Sean Filkins albums. Could be interesting hearing some of those songs, especially from The Difference Machine.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

Re: Big Big Train v. Alberto Bravin, new frontman; New BBT Book coming 6/17
« Reply #935 on: April 27, 2022, 12:31:26 PM »
This is very exciting news!  I have no idea who Alberto is, but he sounds great in those clips!  I will have to do some digging into his background and PFM

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Big Big Train v. Alberto Bravin, new frontman; New BBT Book coming 6/17
« Reply #936 on: April 28, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »
BBT has been the soundtrack to my drive to Morsefest today. English Electric gets better with every listen, and the countryside of western Virginia (Not West Virginia. We don’t talk about them.)  fits very well with the mood of the music.

Unfortunately the drivers on Interstate 81 are batshit crazy. As the climax to East Coast Racer came, and David sang “She fliiiiies!”, some smooth brain in a jacked up F-150 rolled coal on me.

Offline Kram

I was just on iTunes and came across a BBT "album" called London Song.  It looks like it's one 34 min track.  Can you guys explain that to me?  Thanks

Offline HOF

I was just on iTunes and came across a BBT "album" called London Song.  It looks like it's one 34 min track.  Can you guys explain that to me?  Thanks

Sure! Greg wrote a series of songs about London in the album cycle from Folklore to The Second Brightest Star (including the Wassail EP). The fans noticed this, and there was lots of discussion and debate and shared playlists back and forth on the band’s FB group about what the proper order would be for a theoretical “London Suite.”

Well, eventually the band put some thought into this and decided to come up with an official order and edited the songs together to make an official release, titling it “London Song.” It was originally a free download at Bandcamp, and then eventually they released it on CD on the Summer’s Lease compilation as well.

The official London Song is:

Turner on the Thames
London Plane
Lost Rivers of London
London Stone
Skylon
Mudlarks

I remember I had come up with a slightly different playing order myself before this came out. It was interesting to see how opinions differed on it back then.

Offline Kram

Sure! Greg wrote a series of songs about London in the album cycle from Folklore to The Second Brightest Star (including the Wassail EP). The fans noticed this, and there was lots of discussion and debate and shared playlists back and forth on the band’s FB group about what the proper order would be for a theoretical “London Suite.”

Well, eventually the band put some thought into this and decided to come up with an official order and edited the songs together to make an official release, titling it “London Song.” It was originally a free download at Bandcamp, and then eventually they released it on CD on the Summer’s Lease compilation as well.

The official London Song is:

Turner on the Thames
London Plane
Lost Rivers of London
London Stone
Skylon
Mudlarks

I remember I had come up with a slightly different playing order myself before this came out. It was interesting to see how opinions differed on it back then.
Thank you for the explanation.  So it's just a compilation of these songs then versus anything new?  The only one thing I can say that I'm not crazy about with BBT, was the "sequence" versions of Brooklands and London Plane on TSBS.  To me they were perfect songs as is, and adding an extended intro did nothing for them IMO. 

I haven't really updated you guys on my BBT discovery in a while, but I guess now's as good a time as any.  To me, the run from The Underfall Yard to Grimspound, is as good of a five album run of any band I've ever heard (maybe Rush 2112-MP can compare).  Every one of these albums (TUY, FSDT, EEFP, Folklore, Grimspound) is an absolute masterpiece IMO.  As mentioned above, TSBS is standing out as a weak link.  The "new" tunes are all decent enough I suppose, but I'm not getting any chill inducing, moving me to tears moments like I do in all of their previous 5 efforts.  And like I said, I don't see the point in messing with 2 songs that are incredible as is and help to make Folklore a perfect 10/10 album for me.  I was a little worried maybe they were loosing some creativity or something at this point - and then I just picked up Grand Tour a few days ago, and holy crap, they did it again - another masterpiece!  I need to dig deeper into Grand Tour, but I'm absolutely loving everything I'm hearing on this one, incredible! 

Right now I have BBT as my 4th favorite band/artist of all-time.  Only behind Rush (they'll always be my favorite), Dream Theater and Neal Morse (they're slowly catching Neal for 3rd place).  Incredible band!  And I'm really excited about their future now after seeing that short clip they put out last week.

Offline HOF

Thank you for the explanation.  So it's just a compilation of these songs then versus anything new?  The only one thing I can say that I'm not crazy about with BBT, was the "sequence" versions of Brooklands and London Plane on TSBS.  To me they were perfect songs as is, and adding an extended intro did nothing for them IMO. 

Right, there is no new music on London Song that you can’t get elsewhere, which is why they offered it free on Bandcamp. It was basically done as a nod to the enthusiasts who would frequently ask the band about the definite order of the songs in the suite. But it also serves as a nice introduction to that era of the band I think.

The Second Brightest Star is probably my least favorite BBT release, but it’s mostly just a collection of leftover bits and pieces and stitching a few things together more for fun than anything else. Kind of their equivalent of DT’s “Cleaning Out the Closet.” Though there are some things on it that I do love (Leaden Stour and Terra Australis Incognita especially).

Personally I think the London Plane Sequence is the definitive version of London Plane and the intro does take it to another level for me. As I recall, Greg always intended to have an extended intro but they didn’t have time (or maybe budget) to record all of it for Folklore. Those are the sorts of choices you have to make as a small, independent band I guess. Brooklands Sequence would have made more sense in a world without the ability to easily make playlists, but it’s kind of cool to listen to them as one piece from time to time.

Offline The Letter M

Right, there is no new music on London Song that you can’t get elsewhere, which is why they offered it free on Bandcamp. It was basically done as a nod to the enthusiasts who would frequently ask the band about the definite order of the songs in the suite. But it also serves as a nice introduction to that era of the band I think.

To expand upon that, the version of "London Song" on the Japanese compilation Summer's Lease does feature some edits and additional keyboards to help tie the whole thing together and create better segues between the six pieces, so it is different than the Bandcamp free version and the individual songs released on prior albums. Honestly, if you want to listen to it, just seek out a copy of Summer's Lease, which has some unreleased tracks and versions of other tracks as well, plus, it's just a really great compilation.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

To expand upon that, the version of "London Song" on the Japanese compilation Summer's Lease does feature some edits and additional keyboards to help tie the whole thing together and create better segues between the six pieces, so it is different than the Bandcamp free version and the individual songs released on prior albums. Honestly, if you want to listen to it, just seek out a copy of Summer's Lease, which has some unreleased tracks and versions of other tracks as well, plus, it's just a really great compilation.

-Marc.

That’s right. I couldn’t remember if the segues were on both versions or just the Summer’s Lease version (though they are only a very minor modification).

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

That’s right. I couldn’t remember if the segues were on both versions or just the Summer’s Lease version (though they are only a very minor modification).

As minor as they might seem, I think they add a lot in terms of making the whole piece feel more cohesive. It's the difference between making a playlist and making a suite.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Very cool NDV playthrough of The Florentine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGexdc4LkwQ