Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111344 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Big Big Train v. New studio album Common Ground, July 30th!!
« Reply #455 on: June 27, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »
This band creates music that is next level beautiful and lush. And they do it consistently. They're amazingly gifted.

Offline HOF

« Reply #456 on: June 27, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
This band creates music that is next level beautiful and lush. And they do it consistently. They're amazingly gifted.

Absolutely. I can sort of understand why it’s not some people’s cup of tea, but what they do they do so darn well. I know not being able to tour last year as planned almost sunk the group, but selfishly I’m so happy they got to make another album instead. It’s always a blast to get new BBT music.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #457 on: June 29, 2021, 12:50:33 AM »

Absolutely. I can sort of understand why it’s not some people’s cup of tea, but what they do they do so darn well. I know not being able to tour last year as planned almost sunk the group, but selfishly I’m so happy they got to make another album instead. It’s always a blast to get new BBT music.

If BBT would break up right now, I'd be genuinely depressed. One of my favorite acts of the last years!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
A bunch of interviews coming out right now, but I enjoyed this zoom chat with Greg Spawton (despite some lag in the audio). Mentions that they are already writing new material and have a lot planned for the next year in addition to the tours.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTitWj3mS2I&fbclid=IwAR0wRgfG_PF6UzXMhhxtDJQSthZas2n5wyvAqV05y8CJGaOIRyjxw5QC7nE

Online The Letter M

« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
In case anyone missed it, Prog magazine is offering another special bundle for Common Ground featuring an exclusive cover, and two signed prints. They did something similar for Grand Tour two years ago, and so I had to pick this one up. Hopefully it doesn't arrive totally bent up like the last one did.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/mobile/az-magazines/48946466/prog-issue-121-big-big-train-common-ground-bundle.thtml?j=BKZ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=Awin&utm_campaign=TechRadar&utm_content=103504&awc=2961_1625246468_969e8d897f05e12d4a11221e002b207b

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: July 13, 2021, 07:12:27 AM »

Big Big Train release new single "The Strangest Times"

Watch the video for "The Strangest Times" here:
https://youtu.be/i35_HcKjR18

Online The Letter M

« Reply #461 on: July 13, 2021, 11:11:51 AM »

A very unique song, an anthem for 2020/the pandemic, for sure. I like the oddly upbeat nature of the song, and I enjoyed them showing off pics of the new members of the band during the bridge.

Only 2.5 more weeks until the album comes out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »

So I really like the song musically, especially the guitar solos. The lyrics are a bit of my worst fear in terms of bands writing songs about Covid that are a bit too on the nose and at this point already sort of cliche. Especially when you start trying to cram phrases like “social distanced” into a song. One other mild complaint is this is the second DL song on the album that copies a rather distinct melody from another pop song. Common Ground’s chorus has a bit of Seal’s Kiss from a Rose and this has a bit of Joe Jackson’s Stepping Out in the chorus (the second “these are the strangest times” has the same descending line as “get into a car and drive”).

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I do think this will be a bit of an ear worm and a nice opening track. And of course it all sounds really great as everything from BBT does. I wonder if that’s Rikard or Dave Foster on the guitar solos.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:57:26 AM by HOF »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2021, 08:14:47 AM »

So I really like the song musically, especially the guitar solos. The lyrics are a bit of my worst fear in terms of bands writing songs about Covid that are a bit too on the nose and at this point already sort of cliche. Especially when you start trying to cram phrases like “social distanced” into a song. One other mild complaint is this is the second DL song on the album that copies a rather distinct melody from another pop song. Common Ground’s chorus has a bit of Seal’s Kiss from a Rose and this has a bit of Joe Jackson’s Stepping Out in the chorus (the second “these are the strangest times” has the same descending line as “get into a car and drive”).

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I do think this will be a bit of an ear worm and a nice opening track. And of course it all sounds really great everything from BBT does. I wonder if that’s Rikard or Dave Foster on the guitar solos.

It set off my covid anxiety, couldn't listen to it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline HOF

« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »
Got my shipping notification from Band Wagon USA today! Estimated delivery time of 3 days, so there’s a good chance it gets here before next Friday, though I won’t hold my breath with the USPS right now. Really excited after seeing Greg’s blog post and watching the video clips of Endnotes.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2021, 08:00:18 PM »
Got my shipping notification from Band Wagon USA today! Estimated delivery time of 3 days, so there’s a good chance it gets here before next Friday, though I won’t hold my breath with the USPS right now. Really excited after seeing Greg’s blog post and watching the video clips of Endnotes.

I got my emails from Rita as well, but my shipping label has only been created, according to USPS, and hasn't been actually sent to the post office yet. Hopefully I get it in the early half of the week.

I got my PROG Magazine Common Ground bundle last week, and unlike my Grand Tour bundle (which was shipped in a plastic bag-like envelope), this was shipped in a cardboard mailer, so the magazine and signed art prints were in fairly pristine condition.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 08:14:28 PM by The Letter M »

Offline HOF

« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »

I got my emails from Rita as well, but my shipping label has only been created, according to USPS, and hasn't been actually sent to the post office yet. Hopefully I get it in the early half of the week.

I got my PROG Magazine Common Ground bundle last week, and unlike my Grand Tour bundle (which was shipped in a plastic bag-like envelope), this was shipped in a cardboard mailer, so the magazine and signed art prints were in fairly pristine condition.

-Marc.

-Marc.

Her earlier email mentioned they would be packing orders for pickup no later than Sunday, so I assume they’ll be dropped off by then or Monday morning and best case they start to get delivered Thursday, but maybe they’ll drop them off tomorrow.

Offline HOF

« Reply #467 on: July 24, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
Ooh, current tracking info gives a Wednesday delivery estimate (it’s been received by the USPS). Still guessing Thursday, but that will do.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #468 on: July 24, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »
Ooh, current tracking info gives a Wednesday delivery estimate (it’s been received by the USPS). Still guessing Thursday, but that will do.

My current estimate says Thursday for me as it has to travel from OH to MD, but it might change depending on how fast/far it travels over the weekend.

-Marc.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #470 on: July 26, 2021, 08:20:28 AM »
Got shipping notification from Burning Shed for the blue vinyl.  :corn

Online The Letter M

« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »
Nick with a drum play through video of Apollo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3if1CRZF1gFt_ez5AtG48gn-Dflb39OPftBhB5Tv4D620KPbqS9o67FT8&v=AGAJqitWdlw&feature=youtu.be

Just watched that, and NDV never disappoints! His style and groove are simply breathtaking!

I also keep checking my shipping tracking number hoping it reaches my hometown post office tonight so it can arrive tomorrow! It's only 3 hours away from me right now in DC, so it can't be much longer!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #472 on: July 26, 2021, 06:54:34 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3if1CRZF1gFt_ez5AtG48gn-Dflb39OPftBhB5Tv4D620KPbqS9o67FT8&v=AGAJqitWdlw&feature=youtu.be

Just watched that, and NDV never disappoints! His style and groove are simply breathtaking!

I also keep checking my shipping tracking number hoping it reaches my hometown post office tonight so it can arrive tomorrow! It's only 3 hours away from me right now in DC, so it can't be much longer!

-Marc.

Mine is in town but not scheduled to be delivered before Wednesday. Guessing the delivery estimate may not have been updated yet.

Offline HOF

« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »
It came this morning! Listening now!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #474 on: July 27, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
It came this morning! Listening now!

Mine just arrived in my mailbox as well!! Cannot wait to open it up and give it a listen!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #475 on: July 27, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »

Nick's playing impresses me so much. I like how he rearranges his kit every so often, as it's an amazing way to help reinvigorate your playing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
After two and a half spins, I have decided that I really like this one. It's certainly a bit different than anything they've done before, with some new and unique musical passages, a bit more Nick on lead vocals than I expected, and some really good instrumental passages throughout. David's vocals have also really expanded in range quite a bit on this one, and I think having four main writers on the album really helped them expand their sound palette a bit, giving this album a fresh feel.

Early stand out tracks for me are "Atlantic Cable", "Endnotes", "Apollo" and "Black With Ink". If I had to pick any weak tracks, it might be the opener, but after three listens, it's starting to grow on me.

Here are some obligatory updated collection pics!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2021, 10:01:43 PM »
Mostly I’m not feeling All the Love You Can Give, but I’m also having a hard time latching on to much about Black With Ink (really cool keyboard solo though) and Dandelion Clock. The first half is going to take some repeated listens I think. Everything from Headwaters on is pretty amazing. Atlantic Cable will need some digesting, but there were some goosebump moments there for sure. Endnotes too. I think Apollo is still my favorite track, but it’s very early. I also am really liking The Strangest Times the more I hear it.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
For those in the US, LaserCD has the vinyl and CD version in stock

https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?f[0]=cp_artist1:436

Online The Letter M

« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
Mostly I’m not feeling All the Love You Can Give, but I’m also having a hard time latching on to much about Black With Ink (really cool keyboard solo though) and Dandelion Clock. The first half is going to take some repeated listens I think. Everything from Headwaters on is pretty amazing. Atlantic Cable will need some digesting, but there were some goosebump moments there for sure. Endnotes too. I think Apollo is still my favorite track, but it’s very early. I also am really liking The Strangest Times the more I hear it.

After a few more listens, I tend to agree that the first half is a bit weaker than the second, but I've definitely warmed up to those first four songs a bit more. It's just that the second half is REALLY good.

I'm also loving "Apollo" more and more, and being the third in a line of instrumentals written by NDV, I wonder if he will keep bringing in those ideas with every new BBT session. I really enjoyed "Pantheon" and "Don't Forget The Telescope" so I hope he'll continue to write more instrumentals in the future!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »

I'm also loving "Apollo" more and more, and being the third in a line of instrumentals written by NDV, I wonder if he will keep bringing in those ideas with every new BBT session. I really enjoyed "Pantheon" and "Don't Forget The Telescope" so I hope he'll continue to write more instrumentals in the future!

-Marc.

Yeah, Nick’s instrumental contributions have been brilliant, and he also was a driving force (pun partially intended) behind On the Racing Line. I worry a bit more about his lyrical contributions. He’s written some songs I really love in the past, but a lot of Invisible fell flat for me, and ATLWCG feels similar to the songs on that album.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
A few more spins in and it's growing even more for me, definitely enjoying this one about as much as Grand Tour, but it has a different feel to it. The writing feels a bit less mystical and mythological, a bit more straight-forward in parts, but still positive and uplifting, and a bit adventurous in feeling to match some of the lyrical content. While not a narrative concept album, I am definitely beginning to piece together and understand the thematic concept throughout the songs, about shared connections and what brings people together, as well as what separates them.

I've noticed that the term "common ground" pops up in other songs outside of the title track. It first appears at the end of "Black With Ink", then in the title track, and finally at the end of "Atlantic Cable". I wonder if the lyrics informed the album title or if it was purely coincidence that three of the songs featured the album title within the lyrics?

Either way, I am greatly enjoying this one, and it'll probably remain in my listening rotation for the next month or so, at least until the new NMB album drops at the end of August!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2021, 02:23:42 AM »
"Common ground" also appears in Theodora in Green and Gold off the previous album.

Listening now for the first time. The "chorus" (?) of Black With Ink is an amazing chord progression, I've never heard that sort of modulation into B minor before. Also nice to hear the other singers a bit more. In the past, BBT has somewhat under-utilized the fact that they have at least three lead singers in their group, even now.

Offline HOF

« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »
I’ve given this a good number of spins now, and pretty much everything has grown on me since my initial impression. Oddly enough, Atlantic Cable is the one I’m having trouble with a bit (some of it seems to ramble a bit structurally and vocally). The instrumental passages are really great for sure though. I even started to like All the Love You Can Give a bit more. But man am I still transfixed but Apollo that one just blows me away every time.

Instrumentally and especially drum wise, this album is a joy to listen to. The band sound so good. Even on the poppier pieces there is some killer playing. I don’t know where I’d rank it, but it is refreshing to see a new direction even while it still sounds like BBT. I also think Dave Foster brings a new edge with his solos, and I’m glad they didn’t go for someone trying to sound like Dave Gregory.

Offline HOF

« Reply #484 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
In the Passenger's Club today, Nick Shilton teased the release of "further new music down the line." Hoping we get an EP similar to The Second Brightest Star later this year or next. I know Bard is set for re-issue as well, but that doesn't seem to fit the category of "new music."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #485 on: July 30, 2021, 04:49:20 PM »
Got Common Ground today and am looking forward to hitting the repeat button a few times over this weekend.

I'm a huge fan of BBT and ND but I have to admit, I did not care for 'The Strangest Times' all that much.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online The Letter M

« Reply #486 on: July 30, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
Got Common Ground today and am looking forward to hitting the repeat button a few times over this weekend.

I'm a huge fan of BBT and ND but I have to admit, I did not care for 'The Strangest Times' all that much.

The opener is definitely one that takes a bit of getting used to. The lyrics will become incredibly dated in a few years (hopefully, because I hope this pandemic doesn't last much longer), but the music itself is very positive and uplifting. I can look past a couple of lines of lyrics for a generally great songs.

After a dozen+ spins of the album, I can say it's easily an AOTY contender for me (possibly taking over Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe), which is especially tough considering that the NMB and Dream Theater still have new albums coming out as well. What a good year for new music from my favorite bands!

In the Passenger's Club today, Nick Shilton teased the release of "further new music down the line." Hoping we get an EP similar to The Second Brightest Star later this year or next. I know Bard is set for re-issue as well, but that doesn't seem to fit the category of "new music."

I think I did read somewhere on the FB forum that there was more music written for the album that did not get put out, so I'm excited to see the Grimspound to Common Ground's Folklore. If we're lucky, maybe they'll pump it out for a release next summer. If I recall, they also put out The Second Brightest Star not long after it was announced, which was a great surprise!

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: July 31, 2021, 12:01:14 AM »
I really enjoy The Strangest Times musically (lyrically not as much), it reminds me of Alive which was my favourite song on Grand Tour. I prefer these uptempo and uplifting songs from them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2021, 12:16:53 AM »
I really enjoy The Strangest Times musically (lyrically not as much), it reminds me of Alive which was my favourite song on Grand Tour. I prefer these uptempo and uplifting songs from them.

I really like it too. I’m surprised how much it and the title track have grown on me the last few days. They didn’t necessarily hit me when I heard them pre-release.

The one that is really hitting me now is Black With Ink. Very cool once you dig into it. The whole album is really strong though. I’m definitely loving it now.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: July 31, 2021, 02:08:18 AM »
That "metal riffing" in the middle of All The Love We Can Give took me by surprise :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.