Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108551 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Big Big Train v. NEW ALBUM - Grand Tour (May 17th)
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2019, 04:22:16 AM »
Really looking forward to this, going to avoid listening to the songs till I have the album as a whole.

Any Big Big Train fans should check out 'Lifesigns' very similar sounding melodic British prog band.  Two albums so far, probably the second one 'Cardington' is slightly better.

I have heard about this band before but I don't think I have heard anything yet. I read up about them and it sounds very interesting! Might start searching for their 2 albums on vinyl.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
Any word on whether this is going to be stand alone album, or if there is more recorded music to come from the sessions like English Electric 1 & 2/Make Some Noise EP & Folklore/Grimspound/Brightest Star.

Offline DTA

« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »
Any word on whether this is going to be stand alone album, or if there is more recorded music to come from the sessions like English Electric 1 & 2/Make Some Noise EP & Folklore/Grimspound/Brightest Star.

Completely new and unrelated to their previous works.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2019, 07:54:06 AM »

Completely new and unrelated to their previous works.

Sorry what I meant is, is this the first collection of songs and there will be more album(s)/EPs from the same session on the same theme released later - or is this a stand alone one.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
I have heard nothing about any follow-ups connected to this. But Folklore was intended to be a standalone album too, and they expanded it afterward :) So maybe they don't know it yet either.

I heard it for the first time yesterday, and it's really great. Uplifting. Lots of great details in the arrangements. Beautiful melodies. And NDV is a monster.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
Who knows what will happen in the future? As far as I'm aware, we didn't know about Grimspound when Folklore was released.

Idk if this will be "controversial" or not, but whatever...I don't count The Second Brightest Star as a fully-fledged studio album. I'd either say it was a "B-side" compilation (even though I know they're not actual B-sides) or even maybe a "double EP". Considering a little over half the album is extended/combined versions of tracks from Folkspound. I see TSBS as akin to Far Skies Deep Time. The evening before big album releases, I'll listen to the band's preceding full studio album, so next Thursday I will count that as being Grimspound.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »
I don't know if it's been posted or not before but in this excellent interview there is talk about a possible follow up.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-greg-spawton/

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
Bumping as it's the evening before Grand Tour's release here in the UK, and the hype is well and truly building in this poster's mind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:38 PM »
My copy of the CD came in from Burningshed today! After a couple spins, it's pretty breathtaking! There are familiar bits here and there, but also quite a bit of new ground to my ears! Can't wait to digest it more over the coming weeks!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2019, 12:32:31 AM »
My copy of the CD came in from Burningshed today! After a couple spins, it's pretty breathtaking! There are familiar bits here and there, but also quite a bit of new ground to my ears! Can't wait to digest it more over the coming weeks!

-Marc.

Have fun dude!! My favourites are Ariel and Voyager, for obvious reasons. Can't wait to discuss about the album with you! :)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
After a couple of spins, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by it compared to Grimspound and Folklore. I feel those two had a lot of memorable melodies. Will need some time to digest this one. So far Ariel and Voyager have been my favorite tracks. Man, Nick sings a bunch in this album. Nice contrast with David's voice. As always, the production is top notch. Wonder what snares did NDV use since I hear a bunch of different ones throughout the album.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Listening for the first time this afternoon.  I love it.  LOVE IT!   :heart

Hope there will be a Grand Tour in the US in 2020.  I sense more than a few shows in my future if so.   :tup

edit to add, NDV is a beast!!
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline DTA

« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »
After a couple of spins, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by it compared to Grimspound and Folklore. I feel those two had a lot of memorable melodies.

I'm the exact opposite. This album feels a lot fresher and more diverse than Folklore/Grimspound. I listened to those ones more out of obligation than true interest, but this one has me actively wanting to return to it after 3 listens so far.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:35:10 AM by DTA »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
I know it's pretty typical and cliche to say that a band's latest work is their best, but this is pretty high up there for me. There's a lot of great songs and moments across this whole album, which is chock full of some new and exciting sounds from everyone involved. I hear a lot of influences and familiar melodies, as well as a lot of familiar words and phrases that the band have become associated with, but I think that was just the focus of this album - narrowing in on the concept and driving it home (so to speak). It's still only been a few days, so there's a lot more to digest, musically and lyrically, but after a few spins, I have to say I am pretty taken by this new album, as much as I was with EEFP and the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS trilogy. It's nice to have this concise, single-disc concept that flows so well, and has some sprawling epics that really soar!

I'm not sure if I have a stand-out favorite yet, but the run of "Ariel", "Voyager" and "Homesong" is breathtaking, to say the least. I may have to say up my money for next year when they tour the US and make it to the nearest show, as I'm sure it'll be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of show!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »
I know it's pretty typical and cliche to say that a band's latest work is their best, but this is pretty high up there for me. There's a lot of great songs and moments across this whole album, which is chock full of some new and exciting sounds from everyone involved. I hear a lot of influences and familiar melodies, as well as a lot of familiar words and phrases that the band have become associated with, but I think that was just the focus of this album - narrowing in on the concept and driving it home (so to speak). It's still only been a few days, so there's a lot more to digest, musically and lyrically, but after a few spins, I have to say I am pretty taken by this new album, as much as I was with EEFP and the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS trilogy. It's nice to have this concise, single-disc concept that flows so well, and has some sprawling epics that really soar!

I'm not sure if I have a stand-out favorite yet, but the run of "Ariel", "Voyager" and "Homesong" is breathtaking, to say the least. I may have to say up my money for next year when they tour the US and make it to the nearest show, as I'm sure it'll be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of show!

-Marc.

Is that a confirmed thing or just a loose rumour? I can't imagine they'd be able to swing a tour but I could see them doing Cruise To The Edge and maybe a show or two in the dates prior/after.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »

-Marc.

Is that a confirmed thing or just a loose rumour? I can't imagine they'd be able to swing a tour but I could see them doing Cruise To The Edge and maybe a show or two in the dates prior/after.

FUTURE TOURS

We are planning tours outside of the UK and are expecting to be playing in the US and Canada in the Spring of 2020, and in mainland Europe in the autumn of 2020. More news on these tours in 2019.

Next Spring, though I only expect maybe 4 or 5 shows total, so probably California, North West, NY, Mid-East (DC or Baltimore would be nice, close enough to me), and Southern US. Any more than that might be a miracle!

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2019, 03:47:04 AM »
A stunningly good album, I'm loving the concept. So far The Florentine is probably my favourite song. Odd to see so much love for Ariel, as that's the one track I'm struggling to connect with.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:39 AM »
How can one not love Ariel? It's epic! Singin O, blow the winds, O!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
Just learned last night that the Japanese release of Grand Tour features an exclusive track at the end of the album, titled "Journey's End", which I assume to be short enough so that all 10 tracks still fit on one CD. Apparently, the Japanese publisher has the rights to it for a year, then the band can release it (presumably on a place like Bandcamp, or maybe as a single with other tracks/alternate versions of songs, or live songs from this year's UK tour).

If you can't wait to hear it, you'll have to import it, but I guarantee the band will likely release it themselves at some point next year if you're willing to wait!

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »
Definitely a grower. Different thoughts about this album after more spins. Voyager should have been the closing track!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:04:52 AM by goo-goo »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:11 AM »
Voyager should have been the closing track!

True. Gone are the days when an epic would be the closer, the climactic point to which an album climbs towards. It seems to be more of a cliche now to have an epic placed second-to-last, with a "comedown" song to close the album. BBT have done this on all their recent albums:

English Electric Full Power (to me and the band the definitive version of EE): East Coast Racer followed by Curator of Butterflies
Folklore: Brooklands followed by Telling the Bees
Grimspound: A Mead Hall in Winter followed by As the Crow Flies

And obviously GT does the same.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:54:43 AM by RoeDent »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »
Voyager should have been the closing track!

True. Gone are the days when an epic would be the closer, the climactic point to which an album climbs towards. It seems to be more of a cliche now to have an epic placed second-to-last, with a "comedown" song to close the album. BBT have done this on all their recent albums:

English Electric Full Power (to me and the band the definitive version of EE): East Coast Racer followed by The Butterfly Collector
Folklore: Brooklands followed by Telling the Bees
Grimspound: A Mead Hall in Winter followed by As the Crow Flies

And obviously GT does the same.

And that's perfectly fine by me, especially since "Curator Of Butterflies" and "Telling The Bees" are two of my faves and are both beautiful songs! "As The Crow Flies" is pretty good too!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »
Oh yeah, I love all the songs, don't get me wrong. I just miss the days where the big epic would be saved as the definitive final statement on the album. I'm on the hunt for similar cathartic experiences to that of Dream Theater's Octavarium. The entire album being a journey building up to that euphoric release in the closing few minutes of that classic.

My bad for getting the title of Curator of Butterflies wrong. I was in the right ballpark, though, give me that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
Oh yeah, I love all the songs, don't get me wrong. I just miss the days where the big epic would be saved as the definitive final statement on the album. I'm on the hunt for similar cathartic experiences to that of Dream Theater's Octavarium. The entire album being a journey building up to that euphoric release in the closing few minutes of that classic.

My bad for getting the title of Curator of Butterflies wrong. I was in the right ballpark, though, give me that.

Fair enough, you were close, but it was still kind of funny to me, especially since I love that song so much, the mis-titling gave me a chuckle. :lol

As for ending the album with an epic, I like it both ways, and DT have done both with many closing epics, but on ADTOE, they ended with the come-down song in "Beneath The Surface", and on DT12, they had that easter egg hidden track at the end of "Illumination Theory", so it's definitely a thing in prog that seems to be catching on in various places.

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:23 AM »
The thing with Voyager is that it's so powerful and emotional that it HAD to be the last track. I didn't get that feeling with what Roe said from those previous album and I actually didn't notice that until Roe mentioned it. It's hard to turn away from Voyager and then Homesong comes along and its not as powerful, climatic as Voyager is.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
What's funny is, with all this talk of climactic tracks being final tracks goes back to my previous post about the Japanese edition of the album with a bonus 10th track, which makes "Voyager" even FURTHER removed from the end of the album, by another 3-5 minutes! It's certainly a very moving track, but in the concept of the album, I really enjoy "Homesong" as a sort of coda to the idea of journeys and voyages described across the album. It's a perfect bookend for an album about setting out on adventures, which culminates in one about the Voyager spacecrafts, the farthest-reaching man-made objects ever sent into space! In an interview with Greg, I think he said something along the lines of how beautiful it is that Voyager will occasionally come close to us every now and then, but it would be lifetimes in between them. In a sense, they're on their own journey that eventually brings them round back home, so having "Homesong" as the ending is poignant.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
What's funny is, with all this talk of climactic tracks being final tracks goes back to my previous post about the Japanese edition of the album with a bonus 10th track, which makes "Voyager" even FURTHER removed from the end of the album, by another 3-5 minutes! It's certainly a very moving track, but in the concept of the album, I really enjoy "Homesong" as a sort of coda to the idea of journeys and voyages described across the album. It's a perfect bookend for an album about setting out on adventures, which culminates in one about the Voyager spacecrafts, the farthest-reaching man-made objects ever sent into space! In an interview with Greg, I think he said something along the lines of how beautiful it is that Voyager will occasionally come close to us every now and then, but it would be lifetimes in between them. In a sense, they're on their own journey that eventually brings them round back home, so having "Homesong" as the ending is poignant.

-Marc.

I feel like I was just about to write this post.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
New podcast from The Prog Report where Greg Spawton and David Longdon pick their top 5 Big Big Train songs and talk about them.

----

While I'm here, another thought I had...I wonder how long it will be before Rikard takes lead vocals on a verse or two in a BBT song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
Found out the other night that "Voyager" is the third in a trilogy of songs about humans and machines, following "East Coast Racer" and "Brooklands". The three of them together create a fascinating suite, so if you take a listen to them together, let me know what you think! I used the EE2 version of ECR, and the "Brooklands Sequence" that adds "On The Racing Line" before "Brooklands" proper (from TSBS).

-Marc.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Btw, the booklet that comes with the vinyl edition is awesome.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline DTA

« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:21 AM »
This album is so damn good. I haven’t been this excited by BBT since first hearing the English electrics in 2013. The long tracks are really good and the shorter ones don’t feel like throwaways like some of the ones on the past few.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Big Big Train announced for RoSfest!

As announced at the 2019 edition of RoSfest, Big Big Train is the first band that has been booked for the 2020 edition of the festival. To state that this is an exciting signing for us is probably the understatement of the decade.

For the last decade, our audience has made it an annual tradition to request Big Big Train and 2020 is the year when we will make it happen. A long-desired wish, finally fulfilled. Big Big Train will arrive on schedule on May 9th, for a 2-hour performance beginning at 8:00 pm! (Pending permit approval).

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
If I may...my current rankings.

1. Ariel
2. Voyager
3. Theodora in Green and Gold
4. Homesong
5. The Florentine
6. Pantheon
7. Roman Stone
8. Alive
9. Novum Organum

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #278 on: November 03, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
According to this website, the long-awaited BD release from Big Big Train, Reflectors Of Light, is finally coming out on December 6th. No word from the band themselves yet, but it seems imminent.

Can't wait for this blu-ray! It feels like forever since Merchants Of Light was released, so it'll be nice to finally be able to WATCH the concert! Here's hoping they record/film and release some of their recent tour's shows!

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »
Well, the London show on Saturday night was amazing, one of the best gigs I've been to. Those songs have so much power live. You Americans are in for treat when they bring this show over there next year - what every you do, don't miss it!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."